Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England vs Sri Lanka

Options
  • 22-05-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭

Morgan makes the test squad

Andrew Strauss (Middlesex, captain)
    James Anderson (Lancashire)
    Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
    Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
    Alastair Cook (Essex)
    Steven Finn (Middlesex)
    Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
    Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)
    Matt Prior (Sussex)
    Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
    Chris Tremlett (Surrey)
    Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Bopara or Morgan was really the only selection headache.....Morgan's 193 sealed it in his favour.....the rest of the squad picked themselves

Morgan should get an extended run this summer against SL and India.....the no: 6 slot is his own to lose now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think its got drawn series written all over it, Sri Lankas batting too good and bowling too average for anything else, hope I am wrong and England whitewash them, but doubt it!

Morgan definitely the better bet than Bopara but he has these home tests to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Will be very interested to see how Morgan handles the Sri Lankan attack. Feel this could be a massive summer for him to cement his place at no. 5/6 in the middle order

England are second in test side rankings behind India, am I right?

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Will be very interested to see how Morgan handles the Sri Lankan attack. Feel this could be a massive summer for him to cement his place at no. 5/6 in the middle order

England are second in test side rankings behind India, am I right?

India
    South Africa
    England
    Sri Lanka
    Australia

......In that order

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

England can go top this summer though right? At least that was the vibe I was getting from cricinfo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

England can go top this summer though right? At least that was the vibe I was getting from cricinfo..

Not if Sri Lanka / India decide to show up and bring their A game! It'll be interesting, England do appear to have a well balanced squad and have been performing well over the last couple of years.

Quite surprised Sangakkara hung on....thought hot spot was pretty conclusive that he did get a feather on it.....he is normally a walker....unless he genuinely thought he did not edge it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Ton up for Alastair Cook.

Him and Trott look tobe continuing their form from down under. Not for the first time this partnership looking really solid.

Must say, Sri Lanka simply don't have the attack to win test matches.

Anderson wont bowl again this test.

150 up for Trott now. Unbelievable player with an unbelievable temperament.

Bell quickly closing in on a half century too.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Strauss will declare tomorrow morning as soon as Bell gets his hundred and try and make a match out of this....weather permitting!

booth70 wrote: »
    Hopefully Strauss will declare tomorrow morning as soon as Bell gets his hundred and try and make a match out of this....weather permitting!

Yeah, not holding my breath, its been terrible. Don't think Strauss has it in him to declare in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Yeah, not holding my breath, its been terrible. Don't think Strauss has it in him to declare in the morning.

Match fixing allegations are sure to stem from this collapse if England win, 43-7 on what is a benign wicket.

What a great game test cricket simply is......who would have thought a result would have been possible after all that rain.....and England won with 30 overs to spare!!

For England to win without Anderson was even more remarkable.....Tremlett was superb.....Sri Lanka were simply blown away

Well done England

Inquitus wrote: »
    Match fixing allegations are sure to stem from this collapse if England win, 43-7 on what is a benign wicket.

Absolute rubbish.

I'd love you to name me a single Sri Lankan who genuinely gave his wicket away cheaply.

Brilliant bowling from England and nothing more. Also, you say a benign wicket, yet I can remember a fair few games in Cardiff that have been very exciting, both in test and limited overs cricket. Obviously something in it that keeps the batsmen guessing.

Great advert for test cricket!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Tremlett was fantastic today, he's turned into a quality test bowler. England look a superbly balanced side at the moment, their tests against India will be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Can see this going straight for a 3-0 now. Even Australia got a draw out of their first test against England for gods sake :P

England look very strong in both batting and bowling and if Anderson is fit and they can bring back the fielding standards of the winter then they may have a very successful summer (until mid July anyway :P)

Absolute rubbish.

I'd love you to name me a single Sri Lankan who genuinely gave his wicket away cheaply.

Brilliant bowling from England and nothing more. Also, you say a benign wicket, yet I can remember a fair few games in Cardiff that have been very exciting, both in test and limited overs cricket. Obviously something in it that keeps the batsmen guessing.

Great advert for test cricket!

Totally agree with you......the glorious uncertainties of TEST cricket......this is why test cricket will always remain the ultimate test!

Can't wait for England v India:)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Inquitus wrote: »
    I'll reiterate LondonIrish90's repoly, only one of the lower order was out to an ill-advised swipe at the ball, the others were the result of good disciplined bowling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pietersen out for two, Morgan 66 no....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

dfx- wrote: »
    Pietersen out for two, Morgan 66 no....

Morgan out for 79, century looked on the cards.

Great knocks from Morgan and Prior this evening. Their partnership probably gave England the advantage at the end of day one.

Some beautiful strokes played by the pair of them, and Morgan really deserved a century. Great to see him already showing why he is the man to replace Collingwood for the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I agree with Morgan but the bowling to Prior was at times awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Some of the wicket-keeping today wouldn't have looked out of place in Division 14, must be a case for Sangakarra taking back the gloves given that his batting (admittedly superlative 9 times out of 10) hasn't really been greatly affected since he gave them up.

211 for 1 plays 486:(

This pitch puts some of the flat pancakes on the subcontinent to shame but having said that I thought England's bowling was awful today

Good counterattacking innings from Dilshan

Yeah, Dilshan had a great day, Englands bowling very poor. Tickets available tomorrow if you have a spare £60 to get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

479 all out: who'd have believed England would be going into their 2nd innings with a lead?

Sri Lanka Cricket Board in big financial trouble apparently, so if anyone has a few bob to give them. Overspent massively on the Cricket World Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13666155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The-broken-window-in-the--003.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Matt Prior... they're saying he threw his glove, it hit a bat and that broke the window. The look on Strauss' face was priceless.

England need a wicket, and fast. Are Sri Lanka just hoping for a draw at this stage?

Advertisement