Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat and Saorview in the one receiver - anything out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need mains, Satellite IF and TV aerial wires.

Any TVs with built in PVR are very thin on the ground. Most are pathetic USB stick single tuner affairs.

If you want a decent PVR you need a box. It can even live in attic and feed screen via HDMI, thus reducing number of cables from 2 (Aerial & Sat) to 1 (HDMI).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

watty wrote: »
    You need mains, Satellite IF and TV aerial wires.

Any TVs with built in PVR are very thin on the ground. Most are pathetic USB stick single tuner affairs.

If you want a decent PVR you need a box. It can even live in attic and feed screen via HDMI, thus reducing number of cables from 2 (Aerial & Sat) to 1 (HDMI).

But if you want to change the channel? :confused:
    Presumably you would need an rf remote extender as I have yet to see one that can travel by HDMI cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Pal wrote: »
    I know its an old thread but can anyone update me on developments.

Heres what i would dearly like

TV with Freesat/Saorview and a PVR all built in. No boxes or wires.

:D

if you can find one, panasonic g20b (uk model) will do that, needs external usb hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

lawhec wrote: »
    But if you want to change the channel? :confused:
    Presumably you would need an rf remote extender as I have yet to see one that can travel by HDMI cable.

Glass ceiling?:)

A system like Samsung's Anynet+ would let you control their Freesat or Freeview HD PVRs with HDMI through a Samsung TV.

You can do remote and HDMI on 3 x CAT5e cables and still have left over pairs.

Easier and cheaper than RGB scart to a separate room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Motorised isn't much use for PVR, and of course can do 9E and 28E easily if the receiver has support.

I have a separate motorised system for "hobby" Satellite TV use. 42E to 45W

I just recently dumped my motor and got a multi lnb bracket fitted to my 1.1m dish. Best move i've made for a long time. The Mrs can watch her Cyfra+, the young lad either Cyfra or Freesat, I can then go in another room and watch what ever i want from DTT, 13 east, 19 east, 23.5 east or 28.5 east.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A suitable PC with HDMI, dual tuner or 2x Satellite DVB-S2 cards and a single Dual Tuner USB DTT stick is starting to look attractive. Next release shortly of DVBviewer and MHEG5 plug in should have most or all the initial bugs fixed. Not yet fully Freesat compatible, but shortly will be the most compatible PC Soarview/Freesat solution. XP or Windows7. Linux still has no properly working free MHEG5. Hence the Linux "open" set-boxes don't do it.

Preview (there is link to You Tube video also) http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/mheg5-on-xp
    and putting the PC where it can't be heard whirring http://www.techtir.ie/howto/hdmi-via-cat5-cable
    Full Remote control.

As soon as fully Freesat & Saorview PVR solutions are available they will be here www.saortv.info (in process of revamp to add step by step aerial and dish installs).

I wondered if this was of any use .....

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mheg2xmltv/files/

Any experience of it?

That extracts TV information in XML format from MHEG5 datastream. (Clue in the name :) ) I tried it. It's NOT an MHEG5 engine to run applications (which is what normal viewers need). It's "tool" and it didn't even do what it's supposed to do properly.

There maybe a free Linux solution that usable by ordinary viewer eventually. Right now the best Windows solutions are either MS Media Center [sic] ONLY in Windows 7 (Windows 8 Media Center will likely be useless for this) or DVBviewer + MHEG5 plug in (not free but not expensive, needs separate codecs included in Win7 but not in XP). I use CoreAVC for MPEG4 codec on XP

mythtv supposedly supports MHEG-5
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MHEG

I will try it out and let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I've been following this issue for some time now and it seems as if there are currently two options that get people close to the functionality of a basic Sky sub:

1. Saorsat & Freesat+. One dish with an LNB focussed on 9° and another offset receiving 28.8° feeding a Humax Foxsat. (Sacrificing TV3 & e3).

or

2. A Saorview TV with a Freesat+ box.

Is that about the size of it for the foreseeable future?

• Advertisement

I've been following this issue for some time now and it seems as if there are currently two options that get people close to the functionality of a basic Sky sub:

1. Saorsat & Freesat+. One dish with an LNB focussed on 9° and another offset receiving 28.8° feeding a Humax Foxsat. (Sacrificing TV3 & e3).

or

2. A Saorview TV with a Freesat+ box.

Is that about the size of it for the foreseeable future?

3. Any TV, Saorview approved or not, and a combi box for Sat and DTT. There are none presently with Saorview approval, but the channels will be displayed, if not teletext and other services dependant on MHEG5. All channels listed in the one menu.

kuro_man wrote: »

Please let us know the result ....... because as far as I am aware, MythTV is using the package I linked to above.

3. Any TV, Saorview approved or not, and a combi box for Sat and DTT.

Yes but with the limited now/next 'EPG' for UK channels, the limited recording functionality and the manual retuning of channels a combi falls way short of a Sky sub.

I was thinking of the least hassle solution that's closest to a Sky+ box - a 'fire and forget' solution, if you get me.

Yes but with the limited now/next 'EPG' for UK channels, the limited recording functionality and the manual retuning of channels a combi falls way short of a Sky sub.

I was thinking of the least hassle solution that's closest to a Sky+ box - a 'fire and forget' solution, if you get me.
    close to the functionality of a basic Sky sub

Is a Sky+ box now a basic Sky sub?

Not that it matters ..... I understood basic to mean no recording ......

I am unsure how your 2. would work out with menus and ease of use.

To each his own ;)

Is a Sky+ box now a basic Sky sub?

I think it is.
    I am unsure how your 2. would work out with menus and ease of use.

I think a Humax control will operate a TV so one remote control can be used for all channels and the Freesat+ box self-updates, can record one Freesat channel while watching another afaik.

I haven't used a Freesat+ box so, again, I could be wrong.
    To each his own ;)

I have an Ariva 120 which does me grand. I was just wondering what would be best for someone else who'd want the least hassle solution that's close to a Sky sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I think a Humax control will operate a TV so one remote control can be used for all channels and the Freesat+ box self-updates, can record one Freesat channel while watching another afaik.

I haven't used a Freesat+ box so, again, I could be wrong.

It does indeed. My Humax Freesat+ remote operates my tv, DVD player and amp, can record and watch at the same time - in fact, depending on the channels, you can record two channels and watch a third at the same time.

kuro_man wrote: »

It works on BBC anyway
    Multi screen didn't work but I may not have channels tuned in

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Ken bryan

I have a triax Box the ST-HD537 Combi Receiver you can get both saor view and freesat
    I have it for about a year no Issues at all .

You can put an external hd drive and via usb record all the tv you want .

http://www.triax.co.uk/?alPage=&rkPage=&articleId={70E4AAB3-B2F1-4EE8-A0C5-295E0F541F6F}

there is a new one which is soar view approved
    NEW TSC114 HD Combi Receiver by triax
    NEW TSC114 HD Combi Receiver

Date: 28.02.2012

The FIRST Saorview Approved Combi Receiver in Ireland!

Terrestrial and Satellite HD Combi Receiver
    Your favourite Irish TV Channels and Radio stations
    No monthly payment or contract - Over 300 FREE HD and Digital TV channels plus radio stations
    Crystal clear pictures and quality sound
    PVR Ready - Record, Pause, Rewind Live TV and watch Satellite channels while recording Terrestrial or watch Terrestrial channels while recording Satellite via an external HDD
    Multimedia Player - Playback Movies, Music and Photos via an external HDD
    EPG - Interactive TV listings service
    Aertel Digital teletext - faster page load, enhanced visual quality
    24 month manufacturers guarantee from date of original purchase
    Product Code 305018

SAORVIEW offers the best Irish television - FREE for everyone

Please select from the brochures below to learn more about the NEW TSC114 Combi Receiver.

SPECIFICATION: USER GUIDE:

Previous page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Ken bryan wrote: »
    Triax have Box 527 that you can get both saor view and freesat with .

I presume you mean free to air satellite, not Freesat, as in, it doesnt have 7 day epg for satellite ?

Ken. it's Free to Air Satellite. Neither 537 or 114 or any other combo is Freesat or Freesat HD.

Also some FTA boxes and combos do have 7 day EPG, but that doesn't make them "Freesat".

My PC does Saorview channels, Freesat channels, MHEG5 interactive and full Guide on both. But it would not possibly pass Saorview or Freesat and get approval, nor is it fully compatible with either (Satellite and Terrestrial require manual scans and esp. on Satellite channel deletions.)

• Advertisement

Ken. it's Free to Air Satellite. Neither 537 or 114 or any other combo is Freesat or Freesat HD.

Also some FTA boxes and combos do have 7 day EPG, but that doesn't make them "Freesat".

My PC does Saorview channels, Freesat channels, MHEG5 interactive and full Guide on both. But it would not possibly pass Saorview or Freesat and get approval, nor is it fully compatible with either (Satellite and Terrestrial require manual scans and esp. on Satellite channel deletions.)

Wrong

It is free to air Sat .
    I know because I have it .
    I have all the saor view and uk Channels like BBC hd . Itv Hd . C4 hd Channel 5
    It also has an epg .
    Regards

galtee boy wrote: »
    Triax have Box 527 that you can get both saor view and freesat with .

I presume you mean free to air satellite, not Freesat, as in, it doesnt have 7 day epg for satellite ?

Free sat Is free to air
    Bud
    Ok

Yes It does have an epg I Use It all the time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Free sat Is free to air
    Bud
    Ok

Yes It does have an epg I Use It all the time .

Across all channels?
    Might I just add if anyone would know,it'd be Watty:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Freesat is not free to air, freesat has 7 day epg on all channels, free to air has now and next epg at best. Freesat also doesnt loose channels when frequencies change and also has interactive services, far superior to free to air satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rotating Egg

He's an expert in terrestrial RF propagation too; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78554926&postcount=18

He possesses the complete certainty of the truly ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

He's an expert in terrestrial RF propagation too; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78554926&postcount=18

He possesses the complete certainty of the truly ignorant.

Some are always sure their limited knowledge is correct.
    A lot of the confusion about freesat seems to be caused by installers using the freesat logos etc to flog cheap free to air boxes. The combi is an ok box but with only 7 day epg on terrestrial its too expensive. I'd prefer a saorview television with a freesat box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Rotating Egg

I don't think he's representative of the typical punter or even the typical poster in the tv tech forums, but some people read these threads without ever posting on them & you'd like to think the information available is at least kind of sane.

In reply to those above .
    Please read this .;)

tsc114-advert-(shadow).gif
    • Terrestrial and Satellite HD Combi Receiver
    • Your favourite Irish TV Channels and Radio stations
    • No monthly payment or contract - Over 300 FREE HD and Digital TV channels plus radio stations
    • Crystal clear pictures and quality sound
    • PVR Ready - Record, Pause, Rewind Live TV and watch Satellite channels while recording Terrestrial or watch Terrestrial channels while recording Satellite via an external HDD
    • Multimedia Player - Playback Movies, Music and Photos via an external HDD
    • EPG - Interactive TV listings service
    • Aertel Digital teletext - faster page load, enhanced visual quality
    • 24 month manufacturers guarantee from date of original purchase
    • Product Code 305018
    tsc114_with-logo.gif

Please select from the brochures below to learn more about the NEW TSC114 Combi Receiver.

tsc114-spec-(small-cover).gif tsc114-user-guide-(small-co.gif

Previous page spacer.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

In reply to those above .
    Please read this .;)

tsc114-advert-(shadow).gif
    • Terrestrial and Satellite HD Combi Receiver
    • Your favourite Irish TV Channels and Radio stations
    • No monthly payment or contract - Over 300 FREE HD and Digital TV channels plus radio stations
    • Crystal clear pictures and quality sound
    • PVR Ready - Record, Pause, Rewind Live TV and watch Satellite channels while recording Terrestrial or watch Terrestrial channels while recording Satellite via an external HDD
    • Multimedia Player - Playback Movies, Music and Photos via an external HDD
    • EPG - Interactive TV listings service
    • Aertel Digital teletext - faster page load, enhanced visual quality
    • 24 month manufacturers guarantee from date of original purchase
    • Product Code 305018
    tsc114_with-logo.gif

tsc114-spec-(small-cover).gif tsc114-user-guide-(small-co.gif

Previous page spacer.gif

It's still not a Freesat/Saorview combination box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The TSC 114 isn't a Freesat box. It only does now and next for satellite and doesn't retune channels when they move transponder.

I don't think you fully understand, Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV offered in the UK only, but the boxes work here as we see the same satellites. It's the UK equivalent of our Saorsat, the satellite service offered to the small percentage who can't receive it from terrestrial. The boxes have 7 day EPG and automatically retune transponders making them better than Free to Air boxes that don't.

Advertisement