Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will CM Punk stay or leave WWE this year?

Options
  • 26-04-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=57441
    As we initially reported last night in the PWInsider.com Elite section, former WWE World champion CM Punk has not signed a new WWE deal and there's been a lot of talk that Punk is looking to exit the company when his deal expires in a few months.

Internally, that possibility has been discussed for some time but during the European tour, discussion of Punk's exit came more and more to the forefront.

According to WWE sources, Punk has been offered a new long-term deal but has balked at signing, citing burnout with being on the road for years and unhappiness with his position in the company over the last year.

As one source pointed out, Punk has been something of an "Iron Man" for the company, working full-time on the road with the exception of his hip injury needing to be rehabbed last year. At the same time, despite delivering with whatever was handed to him creatively, Punk has watched as other talents developed since he debuted ended up pushed as bigger names and treated as more important than Punk, including Miz and Alberto Del Rio.

"When you look at how the company brands it's characters, Punk is never among the top 5-8 names that are promoted or pushed," said the WWE office source. "It's Cena, Orton, Miz, Undertaker, Rey, now Alberto, etc. these days and Punk is sort of floating right under there. He didn't fit into the youth drive a few months back but he's not treated like a top veteran either. He's just there, doing his job and while everyone knows he delivers, he's never really treated like someone who does. He's never dropped the ball but we don't give it to him really, either. He's treated like a guy, but not THE guy. For a driven guy like him who's made wrestling his entire world, it's got to drive him crazy. Now, the excuse will be don't push Punk because he might be leaving, but the reality is the environment and situation is what is probably making him want to leave to begin with. Either it gets fixed or it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, just like it did when Batista walked out."

As is the norm with such situations, a new deal could be struck at any point, but as more and more sources discuss Punk leaving the company as a distinct possibility, time will tell. We'll have more when we get it.

Will CM Punk re-sign with WWE this year? 14 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Cianan2jossnjuiceJimmy BottleheadNodyD.QGarseyssuper182D2DRidleyjaykhunterJP Liz V1thebostoncrabkeysersoze0330Giggsy_ 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

No
    Would be a HUGE loss, he has the potential to be one of the greatest heels in WWE history imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Punk to get a much improved deal and a much waranted big push as he realises that the WWE feckin need him bad. Edge's retirement and the reception to WM, The Draft and the need for old stars like the Rock show the WWE is hurting right now and Punk always delivers (and the mic and in the ring) and is therefore reliable, is still young, straight edge etc and the WWE wont want to lose him now. This is the perfect time for Punk to negotiate a new deal and to play hardball while doing so.

Wouldent imagine Punk exactley wants out of WWE, just WWE to be better to him when/if he resigns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Wouldn't do his career any harm if he took a Jericho like sabatical,and came back in a year or so's time.

Can't see many original feuds for him on Raw tbh,though I would love to see a feud between him and Danielson.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wouldn't do his career any harm if he took a Jericho like sabatical,and came back in a year or so's time.

Can't see many original feuds for him on Raw tbh,though I would love to see a feud between him and Danielson.

I'd say there are a lot of potential feuds on Raw for him especially when you consider that since being on comentary he has only really feuded with Cena & Orton. Orton is gone to SD and tbh i'd like to see more of Cena/Punk as it was only really getting going when the WM stories engulfed it starting at the Rumble, it never even went 1 on 1 at a PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Balasubbie

This one gained steam quite quickly. If there's any merit to this, I imagine it'd similar to likes of what Mysterio did a while back, actively floating the rumour in order to squeeze a few favours for himself.

• Advertisement

I hate seeing any wrestler that I like feud with Cena because they always come out second best so I really don't want to see another Punk/Cena feud!

Edit:With the exception of Edge a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I really don't want to see Punk go, he deserves to be in the hunt for the WWE Title. Having Cena win the title at Extreme rules coukd reignite theri feud, but it will more than likely be Cena v Del Rio.

Once Punk's feud with Orton is over, I can see him being thrown into a story with Rey Mysterio or something pointless again. Hopefully he sticks around, but maybe a break of like 6 months to a year would do wonders for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Punk leaving could be a MASSIVE loss! I thinkwwe should throw anything and everything at him to convince him to stay!! he should be main event level constantly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He won't leave unless its for the indies. He openly hates TNA and he's too smart to leave WWE on bad terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He's one of only a few guys I enjoy watching when hes in ring or on the mic, would be a big loss for WWE an done I dont think they can afford really, IMO, he has the potential to be top drawer if hes given a proper push in the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,868 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No

He is without a doubt the current best heel WWE have so a huge loss if he does leave

I wouldnt mind him being drafted to SD and feuding with Christian or a returning Jericho

Huge loss for the WWE but not for Punk personally,Jericho was treated far more seriously after he took a break then he was before he left and I'd imagine Punk would be too.Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea must say that Punk being let go with be stupid , he has become the new Jericho , great on the mic , great in the ring and has great feuds but gets no reward and treated terribley.
    He should have been drafted to SD to since SD need a top heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He basically is Jericho circa 2005, has the talent, the mic skills and the ability to be huge, yet flounders at upper mid card and comes across as a whipping boy for some of the main eventers. Him and The Miz are the only things worth watching on Raw at the moment so it'd be a huge loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A few months off would do him the world of good. He actually needs time off, not getting surgery was not the wisest move given he wasn't used in a topline match at Mania anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

it would a huge loss if he left with the wrestlers leaving lately it seems like all the ones i keep watching wwe for would be very bad for wwe if he left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Nnnooooooooooooo!!!
    But I can see his point. He's been working non-stop for years without a significant break. He's constantly being underused and seeing other guys get promoted ahead of him. Hopefully, WWE will realise what a huge loss he'd be before it's too late.

Right, back to my original reply....nnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooo............:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

sky88 wrote: »
    it would a huge loss if he left with the wrestlers leaving lately it seems like all the ones i keep watching wwe for would be very bad for wwe if he left

Thats why the ball will be in his corner since as people have said wwe have lost Edge/HBK/Taker(bar his odd appearance)/Jericho and wont want to lose another

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

if wwe got by with hbk leaving they will get by without punk

wwe have alot of strong heels coming through so if punk left they wouldn't be badly hit as some here think, financially he doesn't bring in anything like the money rey, cena or even jeff hardy (before he left) was bringing in

wrestling wise they could just call up tyler black to the main roster

lulz at people saying punk has been booked terribly, if punk has been booked terribly then what has swagger been booked like, outside the big four (orton, cena, taker, trips) and mysterio, punks been booked the strongest remaining guy on the roster this past 3 years, like miz is only recently been booked at punks level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

No
    I think the Nexus story with Orton would have been much better off had there been a title involved. Apart from the obvious superman moments for Orton (and Cena before, for that matter), its been a good stable. It just shouldn't be midcard!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Reason for Beth's move to Raw?
    Beth Phoenix's move to WWE Raw may not be all about her and could involve her real-life boyfriend CM Punk. With Punk considering leaving WWE, the company may be trying to put Beth on the road with him to change his mind about not signing a new contract.

The big story out of this week's TVs was that Punk's WWE contract is coming up and he recently balked at signing a new deal because of burn out and frustration with his role in the company. Punk has been dating Beth Phoenix for the past several months and the two are actually living in each others respective homes.

In a similar situation, WWE has always tried to please The Undertaker by making sure his wife Michelle McCool is able to travel with him.

- WrestlingNewsWorld

No
    ^ Punk and Beth a couple :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Kinda makes you wonder who wears the pants in that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭glenjamin

I thought he was banging Lita and Beth was with Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

punk is like the new batista

No
    glenjamin wrote: »

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

sky88 wrote: »
    punk is like the new batista

The difference being that Punk has my support! :D Legend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

glenjamin wrote: »

Afaik, Cody and Beth was rumoured back when they went to the HoF one year together, and pics are online of the two together in Disneyworld, but I didn't think it was ever confirmed.

Punk, on the other hand, goes through the divas like there's no tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Punk must be running out of Divas at this stage.He peaked when he was with Kelly Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

in fairness i always thought beth was kinda cute :o

Advertisement