Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy Conditions 21st-23rd May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Well Obama got landed at 9.28.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Winds have now veered WSW'ly in direction over Galway and gusting to between 65-75 km/h

Doesn't seem that windy in Dublin yet. Here a vid of Obama landing just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uqwdUgvsXs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Sudden calm here in S Wicklow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Stormy in Castlebar the moment.Winds at there worst.Many a tree gone id say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

xcweather now reporting 90mph gust at Belmullet :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Donegal Airport 22042G56KT

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

slowburner wrote: »
    Eye of the storm?

No, as the storm is off the NW coast. But it feels like it,wind currently only 10km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

only a light breeze here... has this system drifted further north or is there worse to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

getting battered here ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Sunny pleasant morning over here ..... Bit breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There goes one of my trees, got damaged in the winter, knew it wouldn't last...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This period of slack winds can be related to the wind direction shifting and placing some people in a windshadow (blocked by higher ground upwind) for a while. There is also a tendency for winds to drop off for about an hour when the main frontal band has passed. The system is moving so fast that it is taking time for the onrushing westerly winds to catch up to the front as they come inland and have more friction. But I think most people will find their wind speeds ramping back up after a short pause (there likely won't be a pause north of about Clare to Meath). Details may vary later on because a big factor will be the location of squally showers and these tend to organize in bands with breaks between where winds are not quite as gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭pauldry

belmullet 78knot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

two trees down and trampoline upside down here in Galway:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Is there still the possibility of mini tornados?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Malin Head 46 gust 68 knots
    Belmullet 40 gust 71 knots

Donegal Airport 45 gust 57 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

just got a gust off 52mph in kilmovee near knock airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Really fierce here today, opened the curtains to find the velux window covered in debris. Definitely going to be a lot of trees down, getting worried about the garden here, trees being tossed all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some increase in the gusts when a shower passes through.Squally shower in Castlebar at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Very strong here at the moment, two trees down already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

There goes one of my trees, got damaged in the winter, knew it wouldn't last...:(
    planetX wrote: »
    two trees down and trampoline upside down here in Galway:(

No trees down and the trampoline is bearing up well - starting to feel left out on this side of town :pac:

Nothing outstanding to report really - Mean wind speeds have increased to 43.1km/h & skies have darkened considerably off to the west with spits and spots of rain on the window as I type.
    Just a breezier than average day in this part of the world, so far.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just walked the dogs along the sea near Furbo. Peak gust was 52 mph/84 kph according to my handheld anemometer. Feels strange having such strong winds & clear skies but I see the first showers are appearing on the radar. I think that we are in for some nasty squalls.

EDIT: When will the winds peak in Galway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Image at 1008 BST.

160115.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

52.8 km/h (7 Bft)
    fastest gust ive ever recorded (since xmas)
    its pretty sheltered so thats pretty windy out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Just checked my CCTV at home and my plastic greenhouse is gone....well there are bits of metal poles scattered around the vegetable plots....doesn't look too good at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

beautiful gorgeous sunny morning.........except for the crazy wind! the branches look like they are going to snap any minute! :(

Just walked into town. Some mad gusts. Working till 6 so let's hope the wind is still as strong cause I think the 20 min walk will be wind assisted to about 3 mins ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Getting very windy here now... Am expecting very squally showers...Trampoline secure:D

• Advertisement

Winds eased for a while. It brightened up about 30 mins ago. Winds have picked up again and veered westerly.

Advertisement