Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy Conditions 21st-23rd May

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

At 7pm BST.

160035.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Gone dark here as the first of the cloud from this system arrives in the west. Here's hoping the trampoline is well secured!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Gone dark here as the first of the cloud from this system arrives in the west.

Looks kinda pretty from above doesn't it :D

apiyrnox-2-1.png
    Image courtesy Met.no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Fionagus wrote: »
    Looks kinda pretty from above doesn't it :D

apiyrnox-2-1.png
    Image courtesy Met.no

looks fairly intense :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Is it normal to see a system as intense as this at this time of year:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

such a nice evening in dublin too. hard to believe its incoming. getting sick of this conveyor belt of bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

dexter647 wrote: »
    Is it normal to see a system as intense as this at this time of year:confused:

I was wondering the same thing too. Usually storm systems such as these peter out around late March / early April but I'm open to correction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It's all to quite at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z GFS is another slight upgrade.

By the way, the name of this system is Udo. :)

There is a Red Meteoalarm warning for Donegal.

"Gusts of 110 to 140 km/h over land, southwest storm at sea."

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index3.php?area=IE002&day=1&lang=

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As to the probability of seeing a storm this intense in May, I have estimated the probability of a 60 kt gust at Belmullet at least once in any month as follows:

JAN 70%
    FEB 65%
    MAR 70%
    APR 55%
    MAY 35%
    JUN 20%
    JUL 15%
    AUG 30%
    SEP 55%
    OCT 65%
    NOV 75%
    DEC 70%

You could take about 5% off that for each 5 kt speed above 60kt.

Just a note here about observations, the M3 buoy has windspeed disabled, the current and past several hours showing 2 kts clearly bogus. the M6 buoy is currently in the slight gap between strong warm advection and strong cold advection and has lost a few knots but will pick up probably around 00z.

Satellite imagery showing the genesis now of the expected frontal shape which will be a reverse-C shape extending from the low centre southeast then south and southwest hooking through Ireland during the morning hours. The most active convection at present appears to be developing around 50 to 51 N at 20 W, heading ENE, so likely to cross southern half of Ireland between 0700h and 1200h.

Would advise readers in Kerry and Cork not to underestimate this storm as it may pack a double punch for both Connacht and Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

How does that meteoalarm site work? Is it through warnings submitted by each individual met office or is there a central office that decides on the warnings?

Just seems odd that we have a red alert yet Scotland only has yellow

On the storm, its been dead calm here all evening, I can hear a bit of wind out now since the rain arrived but nothing more than a breeze so far. Hard to believe theres a storm on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Same here Harps. Just a regular Sunday night. Most nights this past week have been worse at this time. Though, having said that, any increase in wind speed will be easily noticeable from this standing start. I expect to be woken up at some stage during the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

lashing rain here and getting windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The wind is howling here now. It's definitely hard to imagine a storm is on the way given the time of year. I don't recall a storm in May before since my memory has been active.
    So it'll be somewhat surreal if a tree happens to falls here in the next 12 hours.

John mac wrote: »
    lashing rain here and getting windy.

location?

here in Dublin west seems ok right now

Update 00.15 - can hear the wind pick up every so often now nothing major yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

location here

<<<

foxford

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tooshjr81

can anyone tell me what the wind situation will be around north wexford area tomorrow? I'm building a house in that area and don't quiet fancy fresh walls been blown down on top of me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Raining here but only lightly (1.0mm since midnight) with a light 8mph mean wind speed from SSW.

1009.1mb falling rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

starting to get very windy here on the coast in Mayo.

Fairly blustery here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I'm also in Mayo and it sounds rough out there, have to drive to dub at 6, forgot to take the washing in too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Not seeming too bad here in Galway city at he moment. Windy but nothing extreme. Gusts last night seemed worse in those showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Getting very windy-Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

All quiet still in Gailimh

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭S McC

Getting stronger winds here in SW Sligo now at 1:29 AM Can hear it in the trees. Looks like we are in for a bad one by morning.

the wind is really ferocious here in squally bursts with driving rain-in Louisburgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Image at 1am BST. Some light rain and just a slight breeze here in Dundalk at the moment.

160091.jpg

Getting very windy now in the squally showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

post 48 ... wind direction likely to be SSW to about 0900 then more like WSW, unless you have large elevation differences nearby that could channel strong winds. Just to be clear, wind from those directions. Take care.

Advertisement