Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-ing my best...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Friday 2nd December

Day off. i thought about going for an early morning swim but at 5:30 when the alarm went off I turned over, switched it off and went back to sleep.

Saturday 3rd December

I was away in Mayo this weekend but took the bike with me in the hope of being able to get out for a longish ride of 80km. Ended up doing 75km as I rode from Ballinrobe to Castlebar.

Sunday 4th December

It was meant to be a brick session today but all I managed was a 30min turbo. I was just mentally wrecked from the driving.

Monday 5th December

Lunch: 30 min Tempo run.Set off at a steady enough pace to warm up and then started to raise the speed after 5 mins till I was running at 4:15 pace and then after sticking that for a while slowly brought it back down to cool down.

Evening: Club swim session.
    WU: (100m FS, 100m BS, 100m BrS, 150m FS)
    16 x 50m swim, climb out, 1 full press-up, dive in.

I completed the main set and then I ended up having to cut the group session short as my wife was in pain with her back and I didn't want her sat waiting for me. In my head I had done 1600m plus as I was counting the lengths as 100's instead of 50's. Doh!:o only 1250m done.

Tuesday 6th December

Lunch - 30 mins easy run

Evening - 1 hour turbo

Wednesday 7th December - Thurs 15th December

Well this 8 day period was a write off. I had to travel to supervise/do the IT and networking work on an office move in Asia. I purposely booked a hotel with a gym and pool so I could continue my workouts schedule but it was in vain. Unfortunately things didn't run as smoothly as possible I landed Friday morning and worked through till early Saturday and I managed one run and one swim all week. The rest of the time I was in the office at least 8am-8pm including a couple of over nighters where I perhaps got 3 hours sleep and I worked over the weekend too. No training and plenty of stress are not good bedfellows. Although on the plus side I didn't go out drinking.
    I feel huge (2kg gain) and demotivated. The one workout I did do had me sweating like nothing else, and that was early morning in an air conditioned gym. Feck knows how I'll cope in March in the heat and humidity.:(

Monday 26th December

Well I haven't done much over the last two weeks. mainly due to a never ending schedule of drinking and dining but lets be honest it is not an excuse really. Today I decided to put things right and went for a 45 minute run. Nice easy pace and really enjoyed the run. Finished off with a set of press-ups when I got home.

I know I've put weight on over the last few weeks but I'm not going to get on the scales and do an official weigh in till Friday. Hopefully it won't be as much as I think!

Tuesday 27th December

a.m. Easy run. Again just went out and ran. No music, HRM or GPS. Felt a little tight yesterday mainly in the calves but still felt pretty strong. Both todays and yesterday run were the same route which maps out around 7.5kms.

p.m. Turbo Session. My good old reliable Aerobic Power 2 session. Felt good and hit some decent cadence numbers at the end on just off top gear. Floor was like a swimming pool as I shut the kitchen windows and suffered in a sweat box. The wife wasn't impressed when she walked in to cook dinner.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 28th December

Lunch: Walked over to the gym and did a quick 5 min blast on the treadmill to warm up. I then did press-ups and stretching for 15 mins. nice easy session to get me back in the habit.

Evening: I was meant to swim but couldn't get out of work early enough (pool closes at 6). Decided to go for a LSR instead and will try and swim Thurs. I did around 10km. Wind was tough and much colder than I thought when I left.

Monday January 2nd 2012

Well my first post of 2012.

Lunchtime: Club swim. 4x(50m FC, 50m Scull), 2x(200m FC Head-up, 200m FC, 200m pull, 200m FC, 15s rests), 2x(25m FC Z4, 25m FC Z1), 100m BrS.

Really enjoyed the session despite not really wanting to go. I felt the lack of swim fitness inthe first few lengths and my breathing was all over the place. I got some good pointers on elbow position and correct hand entry too which seemed to help my stroke efficeincy but it's something I'll be working on over the next few weeks.

Evening: Probably a sign I think I've put weight on that I waited for it to get dark before going for my run.:o
    A nice steady run of just over 7km. I felt reasonably comfortable throughout but didn't feel like I could have raised the pace too much despite it being an easy run (does that make sense?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Are still on track for March ?

Are still on track for March ?

I think so. The last few weeks haven't been great but I have at least been grinding a few sessions out so I haven't lost any fitness. I am hoping for a near perfect January (few if any sessions missed and good quality ones) to get back into it.

I have been thinking of dropping Singapore but I'm a stubborn Yorkshire man and we don't like chucking money away (even if it works out cheaper not to do it as I won't need to travel...).

Tuesday 03rd January 2012

Lunch: Interval run. 2km warm up @ 5:35min/km pace, 7 x (400m @ 4:00 min/km pace, 200m fast walk recovery), 5 mins CD @ 6:00 min/km pace. Total of 7km done. Not sure what was going on with my heart rate in the first 5 mins http://tpks.ws/hSQE

Evening: Bike turbo session. More interval training. I didn't think this one through when I swapped todays easy run and yesterdays interval sessions around... I completed my usual Aerobic 2 session and then kep tthe cranks turning for a little longer so the speedo read 28.00km done. A more normal looking HR Graph too http://tpks.ws/rvfC

I am trying to attack/focus on my diet with a lot more focus. I'm cutting down on the sugary cereals in a morning and switching to porridge and I'm cutting out the biscuits till after Singapore. Im trying to focus on low GI stuff. Singapore's going to be difficult enough without dragging a belly around that's bigger than it should be by then.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 03rd January 2012

Lunch: Interval run. 2km warm up @ 5:35min/km pace, 7 x (400m @ 4:00 min/km pace, 200m fast walk recovery), 5 mins CD @ 6:00 min/km pace. Total of 7km done. Not sure what was going on with my heart rate in the first 5 mins http://tpks.ws/hSQE

Evening: Bike turbo session. More interval training. I didn't think this one through when I swapped todays easy run and yesterdays interval sessions around... I completed my usual Aerobic 2 session and then kep tthe cranks turning for a little longer so the speedo read 28.00km done. A more normal looking HR Graph too http://tpks.ws/rvfC

I am trying to attack/focus on my diet with a lot more focus. I'm cutting down on the sugary cereals in a morning and switching to porridge and I'm cutting out the biscuits till after Singapore. Im trying to focus on low GI stuff. Singapore's going to be difficult enough without dragging a belly around that's bigger than it should be by then.

New weight loss challenge starting next week:)

New weight loss challenge starting next week:)
    I'll look forward to it. I think I'm back to my pre-Christmas weight so raring to go.

Wednesday 4th January

Lunch: I'm going to go to the gym every day (when I'm in work) for the next 2 months. Even if I just do stretching it stops me visiting the burger shop so... 3km run at 4:56min km pace followed by 1 set of (press-ups, pull-ups, dips) and 8 mins of core work.

Evening: Had a 35 minute window to get a swim workout in and all the lanes were pretty full. Ended up in one with some French students who were breast stroking and stopping every 25m to chat. I kicked a little enthusiastically on every turn and they pretty soon went to the leisure pool (Yes, I am a bully). 1500m done non-stop in around 30 mins. I've been focusing on my hand position when entering the water. I was told I was over reaching so am trying to enter the water slightly early and then stretch out. it seems to be working as I felt a lot more balanced in the pool and less fatigued.

Thursday 5th January

First LSR of the year and maybe I should have paid more attention to the slow part. I ended up having to run this inside on a treadmill as I had commitments in the evening so couldn't get out. 16km on a treadmill is pretty boring and the treadmill doesn't let you go faster or slower dependent on how you're feeling at any moment in time. I had the HR monitor on and kept my HR to around 65% (130bpm) and felt pretty comfortable throughout running at 5:52 km min pace.

I felt wrecked afterwards in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Thursday 5th January

First LSR of the year and maybe I should have paid more attention to the slow part. I ended up having to run this inside on a treadmill as I had commitments in the evening so couldn't get out. 16km on a treadmill is pretty boring and the treadmill doesn't let you go faster or slower dependent on how you're feeling at any moment in time. I had the HR monitor on and kept my HR to around 65% (130bpm) and felt pretty comfortable throughout running at 5:52 km min pace.

Well done. Can't imagine 16km on a threadmill anymore. Did 16km myself in the dark, misty rain on backroads this morning and enjoyed the experience!

Thursday 5th January

I'd rather be kicked in the balls for that length of time than do 16k on a treadmill.

Ya the pace looks a little fast if i'm honest.

I hope to do 16k myself in the morning an it will be at about 6:40 per km.

RedB wrote: »
    Well done. Can't imagine 16km on a threadmill anymore. Did 16km myself in the dark, misty rain on backroads this morning and enjoyed the experience!

I'd rather be kicked in the balls for that length of time than do 16k on a treadmill.

Ya the pace looks a little fast if i'm honest.

I hope to do 16k myself in the morning an it will be at about 6:40 per km.

It's not pleasant on the treadmill especially as my mind runs away with calculating percntages based on time left and mileage done. I'm like rainman when I run... :)

Friday 6th January 2012

On a friday morning in work the company buys in breakfast. There's a healthy option, fruit brown bread, cereals and unhealthy Sausage rollls, Danishes, muffins... I can't do healthy when there's the unhealthy option.
    So to stop me from eating this I went to the gym instead.

Morning: 3km recovery run, stretching, press-ups.

Evening: Swim 2 x (200m FC, 200m Kick w/fins, 200m pull, 10x50m off 90s), 200m FC as CD. Total 2400m. Enjoyed the session, Feeling comfortable in the pool and I think my technique is become better with all the little tweeks from coaching every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey dude, good start to the year for you. Fair play with the long run on the 'dread,mill but if that's what you have to do then that's what you gotta do. To help with the mental side of things if you have to do that again you could use what my coach employs sometimes. Break the long run into intervals, 19:30 run/30 sec walk. I find it helps greatly.

Hey dude, good start to the year for you. Fair play with the long run on the 'dread,mill but if that's what you have to do then that's what you gotta do. To help with the mental side of things if you have to do that again you could use what my coach employs sometimes. Break the long run into intervals, 19:30 run/30 sec walk. I find it helps greatly.

Thanks, that's a good idea with the intervals, would give me time to have a decent swig of the drink too.

• Advertisement

Saturday 7th January 2012

BHAA 4 mile race at Tymon Park. I went along with one of my nemesi, "Bill", who's still to beat me in any race yet but I had a feeling that today could be the day. I was speaking to a work mate before hand and he said he was hoping for sub 30m, I was hoping for sub 35. The race begin and straight away I could feel that Thursdays long run had taken it out of me and I felt I had very little power in the legs. Bill was along side of me and seemed to be running pretty comfortably whilst I was panting like a dog in a hot car. Towards the end of the first lap there was a downhill section and I took full advantage of this and used gravity to it's full extent as I let the hill push up my speed and left Bill behind. As I came round after the first lap I noticed the clock was at 11:30. Not very quick and a speed that I would need to hold to get under 35.

2nd lap was pretty comfortable as I found a rhythm but the soft ground didn't suit me. Small foot area of spikes and large weight of me = much sinking. I never noticed the time on the second lap but felt I had run much slower so I tried to put it all in for the last lap. The first hill killed me this time as runners in front started to get away from me. I reeled them in slightly on the next flat but I was worried I was slowing down and on every corner I was glancing back to see where Bill was. In the end I finished in 34:5x and I think Bill was 38:xx so I was comfortable enough.

Really enjoyed the race and will definitely be doing more although I will miss the next two as I have a couple of high altitude training camps (skiing) planned.

My finish time should be in standard 20. My hope is to get that down to 15 by the end of this year.

Sunday 08th January 2012

I asked at the tri club committee meeting on Wednesday when we were starting the long rides back up again and today waas the answer. There was just the two of us out with probably the fastest cyclist in the club coming out with me. We took it handy enough and headed out from the NAC towards Navan and were talking throughout so the pace wasn't too tasty. As we got into Navan at around the 45km mark we turned left to head on to Trim when I felt and heard my back wheel starting to rub. I pulled in and quickly checked the tension on the spokes and as I touched the loose one it came off and the nipple fell inside the rim.

We headed to a local bike shop that was closed and I then told the other lad to head on without me and I would sort myself out. Tyre, inner tube and rim tape off I finally got the nipple out and tightened the spoke back up. I decided to head back the way we had come and off I went. As I got into Dunshaughlin a group of cyclists were just heading off. I went past them and a few miles later a few of them caught me as I was having a gel. I tried to tag onto the back of them and I was gaining on them until I heard a noise and when I looked down the previously loose spoke was now a broken spoke. 65km done. Phone home or limp home? I twisted the spoke around the one next to it and carried on back home. The wheel was rubbing though and it slowed me down a fair bit. When I got back to the NAC I did an extra few km's to get the distance up and finished on 97.5km. Hard work!

Weekly totals:
    Week | Swim | Cycle | Run | Hours
    1 | 6.1 |125.5 | 42.78 | 11.5
    YTD | 6.1 |125.5 | 42.78 | 11.5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

God you have rotten luck with the bike. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

and 30k with a rubbing wheel!? I'd have given up! :o

God you have rotten luck with the bike. :eek:

I know. I'm starting to feel cursed now. Hopefully I'll have a trouble free season after all the close season mishaps.

I'm also beginning to think that I might be safer using my mountain bike until I get down to racing whippet weight. :rolleyes:
    and 30k with a rubbing wheel!? I'd have given up! :o

I was going to. I rang the wife to pick me up twice and each time ended up just telling her I had bike problems but I was going to carry on home. I even added on 15kms more than going straight home and realised the rubbing wheel was slowing me a little too much when two horse and traps over took me.

Monday 09th January 2012

Lunch: Run. 50 mins at 5:52 pace. Sort of a recovery run I guess. 8.55km run and felt solid enough.

Evening: Club swim. Included an 800m time trial and somehow from starting (hiding) in the slow lane I ended up in the fastest lane :eek:

WU was 2x(50m FC, 50m kick, 50m Pull, 100m FC).
    Then the 800m time trial. I managed 15:40 which I was more than happy with and only got over taken twice by the fastest swimmer who had a 20s lead. The set then continued to 4 x (50m slow kick, 50m fast kick, 10s rest), 4 x (50m FC slow, 50m FC fast),100m FC cooldown. Total 2200m.

Enjoyable swim session!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey dude, well done on the long bike, you showed great persistence to get the job done and then some! Hope your wheel is still round :)

Nice 800 TT too, something now to aim for. Keep up the great start to 2012!

Tuesday 10th January 2012

Everyone in my department was on a course so I was covering all the phones today. It's not as hard as you might think saying "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" several times an hour. Because of this I worked through lunch and didn't get to the gym and I ended up stuffing myself with chocolate...

I also still have a broken wheel so couldn't turbo last night (and am falling further behind on that bit of the SBR challenge) so instead did a tempo run. No HR monitor or music just me and my over active brain. 10.6km done in I don't know what time but it felt good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Get one of these and you can get to the gym everyday for as long as you like :)

• Advertisement

How is the running coming along, you up to 13.1 yet ?

Advertisement