Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-ing my best...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Thursday 17th November

Lunch: Quick 5 min run to warm-up then weights. Chest / Shoulders / Triceps. Weights up again so progressing well and feeeling like I'm regaining strength.

Evening: It looked like things were transpiring to stop me from getting any training done this evening. Wife was 30 mins late to the car from work, traffic was bad, and then dinner took 30 mins longer than expected to cook. The old me would have not bothered training but at 10:00pm I had the turbo out and was doing my usual hours workout.
    I really need to service my bike. Chain is coming off too often and there is a terrible squek coming from the bottom bracket.

Friday 18th November

Lunch was the usual 5 min warm-up then weights for Bacj & Biceps so Pull downs, Machine bicep curls, Pull-ups, Iso dumbbell curls, Seated Row, hammer curls

Evening was a swim. 1500m FS. No messnig around.

Saturday 19th November

Longish ride. Tyrrelstown to Ratoath, Dunshaughlin, Kilcock, Maynooth, Leixlip, Lucan, then ontowards the Phoenix park. Coming along the strawberry beds I was struggling and it was noticed that my back wheel seemed to have lost a bit of shape. I carried on and then after struggling up past the Anglers rest heard an almighty clunck from the back wheel. I stopped at the top of Knockmaroon hill and checked the back wheel out and noticed I'd lost a spoke and that was what the noise was about. It had sheared of at the nipple. Instead fo finishing off with a couple of laps of the park I went straight to the bike shop in Blanch village and dropped it off. I noticed as I got off that the rim was rubbing quite badly off the brakes and that was why I struggled up the hill. Instead of the 100km+ I was hoping it was just 73km.

http://runkeeper.com/user/couerdelion/activity/60592082

Sunday 20th November

10km run. Just a nice steady run at an easy pace.

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/GJQABFMRGZJL26KKPFXN623NMI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You are getting an awful run on the long bike rides these days! Fair play for getting out for them although the weather has been great for a change this year.

catweazle wrote: »
    You are getting an awful run on the long bike rides these days! Fair play for getting out for them although the weather has been great for a change this year.

Tell me about it! 3 out of the last 4 rides have been a disaster. 2 flats (both snake bites and I'm running 120 psi) and a broken wheel. These aren't expensive lightweight wheels either they're supposed to be bulletproof shimano factory jobs. Still at least I've got a fair chunk of milage done each time.

If I could find a decent route I would ditch the road bike for the winter and just use the mountain bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey couerdelion i hope you dont mind me sticking my oar in:) I would dial the weight sessions back a bit, 4 in a week on top of everything else is too much and overkill. You may start to see it affecting your other sessions in particular the swim if you have had a tough upper body workout. If you can i would replace most of these sessions with easy runs or bikes to work and improve the aerobic system, after all that is what you will need come race day when you line up for your HIM.
    I used to be a gym bunny myself but moved away from it with all the other training going on and now just focus on core work once a week (twice if i can) in the gym. A strong core is important in all three disciplines of tri.

Oh and better luck next time on your long bike:D

• Advertisement

Have to agree with Jacky - I know you are a rugby buff but more cardio and less weights for the next few months anyways! I had to even give up trying to get to 100 daily push ups as it was screwing my swims

I also see an absence of long runs ;)

Good work on the bike though - you are getting the long bike in every week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would you not do a couple of months of strength work as part of your prep? Depending on the exercises, squatting and deadlifting especially it'd be hugely beneficial in the buildup.

Would you not do a couple of months of strength work as part of your prep? Depending on the exercises, squatting and deadlifting especially it'd be hugely beneficial in the buildup.

I would agree Racoon but Courdelion is out earlier than anyone next year, hes lucky enough to be doing Singapore 70.3, so hes out in March!

The last time i checked there was no squatting or deadlifting disciplines in tri:D In all seriousness the time would be better served working on and improving aerobic fitness. As CW also mentioned your target race is coming up a lot sooner than everyone elses.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
    Hey couerdelion i hope you dont mind me sticking my oar in:) I would dial the weight sessions back a bit, 4 in a week on top of everything else is too much and overkill. You may start to see it affecting your other sessions in particular the swim if you have had a tough upper body workout. If you can i would replace most of these sessions with easy runs or bikes to work and improve the aerobic system, after all that is what you will need come race day when you line up for your HIM.
    I used to be a gym bunny myself but moved away from it with all the other training going on and now just focus on core work once a week (twice if i can) in the gym. A strong core is important in all three disciplines of tri.

Oh and better luck next time on your long bike:D

No problem with you sticking your oar in at all.

I know four gym sessions a week is too much for triathletes and I will be reigning it back come mid December. I had stopped the weights sessions but missed them so will knock it back to two a week. You are right it does interfere with swimming and leaves me swimming on tired muscles but I find that more of a challenge and think to myself that if I can manage my swim session in a state of fatigue I will feel much better post taper and will have no problem with the HIM swim. Is there any theory behind that or am I just too tired to swim with proper form and ultimately getting bad muscle memory? I don't know.:confused:

I do core most sessions I just never note it down as it's not a 'proper' excercise :o A strong core was always important in rugby as a weak core meant you couldn't bounce off tackles as easily.

I think going back to the weights is also a response to not wanting to get skinny looking (not that I'm close to that :D). I was teased a lot as a teenager for being skinny. Even though I was one of the the heaviest at 14st and 6ft 4" I was all arms and legs and was pretty lanky looking. I've always looked better carrying a bit of weight (although at nearly 21st I probably took it a little far :o) I know that catrrying any weight (fat or muscle) is not conducive to optimal performance but I can cope with that for now :D
    Have to agree with Jacky - I know you are a rugby buff but more cardio and less weights for the next few months anyways! I had to even give up trying to get to 100 daily push ups as it was screwing my swims

I also see an absence of long runs ;)

Good work on the bike though - you are getting the long bike in every week

Yeah, I've been missing out/shortening the long runs. I'm planning to start running home from work once a week which is 15km and then extend the route slightly week by week to build it up to 20km. I've been putting it off but I'm 15 weeks out now so need to start doing more.

I'm doing one of the things I hate the most in neglecting my legs. I hate seeing people doing it in the gym when they have a huge upper body and twiglet legs but the amount of cycling I'm doing seems to be helping out in that department and my legs aren't too skinny. I might look to include some plyometric squat jumps into my weekly routine though.

Balancing weight/strength training and triathlon seems to be a tricky enough business and it seems the normal thought process is to leave the weights well alone(?)
    I would agree Racoon but Courdelion is out earlier than anyone next year, hes lucky enough to be doing Singapore 70.3, so hes out in March!

I am not feeling lucky at the moment :D

I've got to the stage where Christmas is an inconvenience as it means gym/pools are shut when I want to be working out. Hopefully the snow holds off this year and I can at least get outside for the running and cycling.

Like I said, thanks for the input all. I kinda know i'm doing too much strength work but having others tell me has made me realise it enough to cut it right back and concentrate on my cardio more.

• Advertisement

Monday 21st November

My birthday so a gym session focusing on back and biceps.

I missed the club swim as my sister in law gave birth and I went to the hospital to see my niece. I reckon that's an ok excuse.

Tuesday 22nd November

Gym session and 5km run.

You are right it does interfere with swimming and leaves me swimming on tired muscles but I find that more of a challenge and think to myself that if I can manage my swim session in a state of fatigue I will feel much better post taper and will have no problem with the HIM swim. Is there any theory behind that or am I just too tired to swim with proper form and ultimately getting bad muscle memory? I don't know.:confused:

You are sort of answering your own question there. Swimming whilst fatigued will lead to poor technique and really you sacrifice the quality of the session. If you can dial the gym sessions back you should see a bigger training return from your swim sessions.

You are sort of answering your own question there. Swimming whilst fatigued will lead to poor technique and really you sacrifice the quality of the session. If you can dial the gym sessions back you should see a bigger training return from your swim sessions.

It is interesting how different sports have different trains of thought. In Rugby League we used to do fitness drills to tire out the players before working on technical drills. The idea being that if they could perform them in practice whilst tired they would be able to do them in a match whilst tired.

We'll see how the swimming goes on less gym work :)

You will be in trouble in Singapore if you are tired during the swim ;)

Wednesday 23rd November

Swim. 1300m FS.

Didn't have long in the pool before it switched from 50m to 25m format and prefer the long course as I have to work harder and don't get the help of kicking off the wall as often.

Thursday 24th November

Lunchtime: Gym session, Back and Biceps.

Evening: Long run. Decided to run home from work and enjoyed it. I normally work longer hours than I need to as I commute in the car with the better half. That means I don't leave town till gone 6 and then get home around 6:40. Today I left at 5:15 and got home for 6:45 after a nice easy run home of just over 15km. Weather wasn't great and I only had on my comression shorts and t-shirt with a loose pair of short and a shirt over them but I never felt cold. I will probably encorporate this into my weekly schedule from now on as it's kinda like free training time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey dude, good to meet you at the AGM the other night. I hope you haven't taken on too much for the year! Great to see you are already consistently training for 2012. Well done and keep it up.

Friday 25th November

Lunch: headed over to the gym for some stretching and a few weights on the chest, shoulders and triceps. Wasn't feeling the best though so cut the weights short and sat in the sauna to sweat whatever it was out of me.

Evening: A quick 1500m blast in the NAC. Was pretty busy in there and some bloke from Naas Tri club was blasting up and down the lane. I tried a couple of times to draft him but I was a little way off. Still wasn't feeling great so 1500m was a decent enough effort.

Hey dude, good to meet you at the AGM the other night. I hope you haven't taken on too much for the year! Great to see you are already consistently training for 2012. Well done and keep it up.

Yeah good to meet you too and yeah I hope I haven't taken on too much too :)

Ah sure, how hard can it be to coordinate training and memberships :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Yeah good to meet you too and yeah I hope I haven't taken on too much too :)

Ah sure, how hard can it be to coordinate training and memberships :D

Well fair play to you is what I say. I'd like sometime to join ye on ye're Sat cycles but it won't be for a while as I am doing specific HR work during my coach prescribed rides, really enjoying them. Are there many getting out for those sessions and what is the ave speed for them? Just know one or two newbie's that may be interested.

• Advertisement

Well fair play to you is what I say. I'd like sometime to join ye on ye're Sat cycles but it won't be for a while as I am doing specific HR work during my coach prescribed rides, really enjoying them. Are there many getting out for those sessions and what is the ave speed for them? Just know one or two newbie's that may be interested.

Well at the moment it's usually just me and perhaps the brother in law or a couple of mates from work. Ave pace is around 28kmh but if the newbies are a little slow (like my work mates) then that drops to ~25kmh. it would be good for me to get out with some faster people to help push me and bring my cycling on. Probably next year :)

Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th November

Easy weekend consisting of golf and a 10km cycle to the bike shop to pick up one bike and drop off another.

I've also taken into account some of the comments re:dropping the weight training and lack of running and re-written my training plan. To be honest it was a real pain in the ar$e to juggle things around to suit (Can't run after a long run or same day as a long bike etc...) but hopefully it will work out well and there is enough quality in there. The running is based loosely on a HH half plan and the rest is from my current HIM plan. Rough outline is:

Mon: Run (Speed Work/Tempo) / Group swim
    Tue: Run (Easy) / Bike (1 hour turbo)
    Wed: Swim
    Thu: Run(Long)
    Fri: Swim
    Sat: Bike (Long)
    Sun: Brick (Bike: ~1 hour / Run: easy)

There is also core work and some light weight sessions in there but only a couple of each per week. I'm 15 weeks out from Singapore 70.3 and a lot of this plan is 'build' with only 1 weeks taper. This is because my aim is to use the race and training in order to get fitter and my 'A' races (and even 'B') will be later inthe year. this is probably only a 'C' in order of priorities.

Monday 28th November

Lunch: Run. ~12 mins warm up at 5:56 km pace.
    5x400m @ 4:00km pace (1min 40s) with 1 min 20s rest in between.
    5 min cooldown @ 5:56 km pace.
    Felt happy enough with it. I didn't feel liek I was strugglig during the intervals but I did welcome the rest!

Evening : Club Swim Session. WU 50m FC, 4x(50m FC, 50m FC legs crossed) 4 x100m kick with fins first 25m as fast as possible, 4 x 25m kick race, 100m BS, 6x 100m progressively kicking faster each 100m, 100m scull, 4 x 50m (each 50m going from slow to fast pace wise), 50m BrS CD.
    Total 2000m. I enjoyed todays swim and was feeling strong in the water and feel that my balance is progressing week on week.

One thing I don't understand is why people come along to club sessions and then don't do the full sets(?)

Tuesday 29th November

Easy run. 30 mins at 5:56 pace. It did feel like an easy run too.

Turbo session. Usual hours worth. I enjoy the turbo sessions and it was one of the best bits of equipment i've ever bought. It's easy to tell how hard I've worked by the size of the pool of sweat under the bike :)

Do people measure distance when on the turbo? My wireless one doesn't work when I set it up on the back wheel. All i have to gauge my effort on is cadence and HR (and they are on different devices so I can't compare afterwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Hello lads, good to meet you both last week too. I'd love to get out some Saturday but at the moment my sessions are confined to midweek early mornings.

I'm enjoying reading both your logs, I started to do some winter training (last 3 weeks) but I have not got much structure on it yet, just making sure I get my 3 key sessions in and then hoping to add more bike and run sessions on top when I can.

Hope to see you both at the meeting next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Tuesday 29th November

Easy run. 30 mins at 5:56 pace. It did feel like an easy run too.

Turbo session. Usual hours worth. I enjoy the turbo sessions and it was one of the best bits of equipment i've ever bought. It's easy to tell how hard I've worked by the size of the pool of sweat under the bike :)

Do people measure distance when on the turbo? My wireless one doesn't work when I set it up on the back wheel. All i have to gauge my effort on is cadence and HR (and they are on different devices so I can't compare afterwards).

I don't really pay much attention to distance but I still note the distance done. From what I read, the distance isn't accurate due to wheel slippage etc. I just use cadence and HR at the moment.

What type of turbo sessions/plans are you doing?

Agreed re: turbo, great bit of equipment. The difference between working hard on the road, versus the turbo is huge. Any sign of pain on the road, I'd normally back off for fear of a horrible cycle home. On the turbo you suck it up and see how long you can hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Monday 28th November
    One thing I don't understand is why people come along to club sessions and then don't do the full sets(?)

I remember alot of that happening at the Monday swims. I switched to the Thursday morning sessions last year and find it much more enjoyable (I got used to the early mornings). There are fewer people in the lanes on the Thursday morning and even if there were more bodies there would be less congestion in the 50m format.

I avoid the 25m now, I don't miss the extra turns and it's easier to keep track of my distances. :)

ray o wrote: »
    Hello lads, good to meet you both last week too. I'd love to get out some Saturday but at the moment my sessions are confined to midweek early mornings.

I'm enjoying reading both your logs, I started to do some winter training (last 3 weeks) but I have not got much structure on it yet, just making sure I get my 3 key sessions in and then hoping to add more bike and run sessions on top when I can.

Hope to see you both at the meeting next week.

Good to meet you too Ray. Keeping up the three key sessions will put you in great stead come next year.

I did say that i couldn't make it but I've rearranged my flight so should be ok now. :)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I don't really pay much attention to distance but I still note the distance done. From what I read, the distance isn't accurate due to wheel slippage etc. I just use cadence and HR at the moment.

What type of turbo sessions/plans are you doing?

Agreed re: turbo, great bit of equipment. The difference between working hard on the road, versus the turbo is huge. Any sign of pain on the road, I'd normally back off for fear of a horrible cycle home. On the turbo you suck it up and see how long you can hold it.

Thanks for that. I'll carry on with the cadence and HR then.

I use some of the plans of the www.turbotraining.co.uk site. There's four or so by www.training4cyclists.com that I usually use. Mainly Aerobic Power 2 as I feel like I've worked hard afterwards.
    ray o wrote: »
    I remember alot of that happening at the Monday swims. I switched to the Thursday morning sessions last year and find it much more enjoyable (I got used to the early mornings). There are fewer people in the lanes on the Thursday morning and even if there were more bodies there would be less congestion in the 50m format.

I avoid the 25m now, I don't miss the extra turns and it's easier to keep track of my distances. :)

I honestly don't understand the skipping of lengths. I was the worst swimmer there when I started and even then didn't skip lengths. it's only cheating yourself and the only way to get better is hard work

I've been toying with the idea of the Thursday morning swim for a while and will probably add it in post March. It just makes it a bit awkward to get 3 days swim in a week without doing it consecutive days.

Wednesday 30th November

Lunchtime: Over to the gym as usual. WU was a 10 min slow run on the treadmill (10.1km/h). I then decided to try and put together a new strength training routine.

I have an app on my phone to get me up to 100 pressups in 6 weeks (3 sessions per week). First stage is a test to see where I am at the moment. Mindful of swim training later I managed just 25 :o before I felt I may start struggling. My app was impressed though as after I entered the number it gave me a message "Wow! Do you want to start at week 3?". No I don't! I listened to a podcast the other day where the US marathon runner Ryan Hall was talking and he said he struggled to do 6. So... he might be able to out run me but I'd beat him on the weights. I reckon if it was Top Trumps that would mean I was better :D

Next up was assisted pull-ups. A set of 3x12. Less assistance than in the past but I want to be able to do the same amount at the end of the Tri season unassisted.

Core excercises next and again I have an app for that :)
    Easy 5 min set was:
    30s Plank
    30s Crunch (feet up)
    30s Reverse Crunch
    30s Side Crunch (L)
    30s Side Crunch (R)
    30s Crunch to Reverse Crunch combo
    30s Twisting Crunch
    30s Back Extension
    (I guess the rest of the 5 mins is the time between excercises)
    The app (Lolo Abs) is pretty good. There's videos showing what excercise you are doing and a woman giving out to me telling me what to do (and I aren't married to her!). I do abs/core as part of my routine usually so was a little bit shocked to wake up this morning and feel my DOMS in my abs.

That was it for the gym but I will probably add in other body weight excercises such as Dips & Lunges as I go along and then judge how my body is responding to them.

Evening:
    Swim session. NAC was pretty packed. All but 2 lanes were being used by groups and then one of the two open lanes was being used by a couple of instructors for lessons leaving effectively 1 lane for the public. It wasn't too bad tonight but I hope there's more come January when the fitness bug bites more people.

Session:
    WU: 200m FS
    200m kick
    8x25m FS on 45s (consistently 23/24s)
    8x100m FS with 20s rest
    CD 4 x (25m BrS, 75m FS)
    Total 1800m.
    Felt good. Balance in the water seems to feel right more often than not although I'm still letting my feet drop as I get tired.

• Advertisement

Thursday 1st December

Lunch: Gym. Today was more about getting out of the office and not feeling obliged to go for lunch than actual needing to train. I did a short slow jog to warm up then stretched before doing some abs and doing day 1 of the pressup program It wasn't hard yet just 6-6-4-4-5 with 1 mins rest between. I knocked that down to 30 seconds rest. I then sat in the sauna for a few mins to warm-up before going back to the cold office.

Evening: Long run. Cold but I wasn't aware how cold till about half way. I was wearing compression shorts and top with running tights and a t-shirt. Need to wrap up a little more next time! The run itself did not go well. Last 2kms I ended up having to run walk as I had zero energy. In retrospect a bowl of special K for Breakfast and a chicken wrap for lunch isn't enough to fuel me (@107kg) for a 15km run. I still ended up completing it at a similar time to last week but the last couple of k's were run four lampposts, walk one lamppost. Wrecked when I got in and a little shaky. Banana, biscuits and juice taken on board and a warming shower and I felt a bit more back to normal. Hopefully I won't feel the after effects of poor nutrition too much.:o

Advertisement