Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most interesting part of history

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Dude111 wrote: »
    When you think about the past,10+ years ago what is your favourite thing about it?

Mine is HOW MUCH BETTER THINGS WERE MADE.... Quality was 1000% better,clothes felt better to wear,etc....... Houses were made better (Well 50+ years ago)

I am quite disgusted with how things have gone over the last few years,all this cheap crap replaced GOOD THINGS we remembered from years ago.......

What do you think??

20 or so years ago a friend of mine died of what was really concussion recieved in a car accident whereas today he would have survived. Another died of cancer that today would be treatable. 18 & 21 years old respectively.

Where I lived the TV reception was so poor a colour tv was out of the question.

Favorite is mobile broadband - my grandparents had a wind up phone that went thru an exchange and operator.

paky wrote: »
    an attempt to lecture me on history eh?

Oh I would love to attend that lecture ; when and where is it on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

CDfm wrote: »
    20 or so years ago a friend of mine died of what was really concussion recieved in a car accident whereas today he would have survived. Another died of cancer that today would be treatable. 18 & 21 years old respectively.

Where I lived the TV reception was so poor a colour tv was out of the question.

Favorite is mobile broadband - my grandparents had a wind up phone that went thru an exchange and operator.

Only one answer to that. :D

Only one answer to that. :D

I am not talking to you. You broke this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

CDfm wrote:
    Im so sorry buddy :(

• Advertisement

Dude111 wrote: »
    Im so sorry buddy :(

i have a son their age who has not seen that in his life

but my youth was better than my dads. when my dad left home to work he arrived back on holiday the following year and the family next door were gone -dead or dying from TB

we live in a far better time than 25 or 55 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I love history, but don't like Irish history because it's quite painful. Anyone else find this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Einhard wrote: »
    I love history, but don't like Irish history because it's quite painful. Anyone else find this?

not really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I love 19th century Irish history. It's a fascinating period filled with leaders like O'Connell and Parnell and which despite the famine, saw a complete turnaroune in Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Giggsy_

Very interested in European history around the time of the reign of the Tudor and Stuart kings and queens ... Also love all tings american history.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I find it odd that there is not a dedicated World History forum, unless I'm missing it. This subforum seems to be dedicated to Irish History. If there is a better place for this thread, please move it mods.

Anyway. I've always been fascinated by the founding of America from the colonisation onwards. But I'm woefully ignorant on the subject. I learn best from watching documentaries, then audio like podcasts, then the written word afterwards. So I'm looking for recommendations in that order. Can anyone recommend good documentaries, podcasts or even some light reading all about the colonisation and establishment of America?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Andy!! wrote: »
    I find it odd that there is not a dedicated World History forum, unless I'm missing it. This subforum seems to be dedicated to Irish History. If there is a better place for this thread, please move it mods.

Anyway. I've always been fascinated by the founding of America from the colonisation onwards. But I'm woefully ignorant on the subject. I learn best from watching documentaries, then audio like podcasts, then the written word afterwards. So I'm looking for recommendations in that order. Can anyone recommend good documentaries, podcasts or even some light reading all about the colonisation and establishment of America?

The forum is for history, not just Irish history. If you search you will see that. Given that this is an Irish domain Irish history is going to be prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

My favourite era of Irish history is between the 1790s and the famine, in particular 1798 and its lead up.

I love reading about Ireland's social history in the early 19th century, the landed classes, the roadways and first railways, tho wonderful Georgian architecture and the Irish vernacular.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Find all history interesting. Particular periods

1. Greek and Roman ancient history - from studying classics at school.

2. Viking voyages - great explorers without all modern aids

3. Napoleonic wars - sheer scale from Portugal to Moscow

4. Land League campaign in Ireland - successful political action

5, War of Independence and Civil War

6. WW2 - how Ireland maintained a precarious neutrality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Europe in the 1920s and the rise of extreme nationalism which led to Fascism & Nazism. The whole concept of a single leader being above reproach and attempting to sweep an entire population along with him.

Spanish civil war.

The Spanish empire and reconquest of Spain by Ferdinand and Isabel followed by the 'new world' discoveries.
    Add to that French-Spanish relations in the lead up to the 30 year war.

Australian & American history from the perspective of Aborigine and native American tribes point of view. The majority is from settlers viewpoint but its fascinating to contrast the two.

Social history of Ireland post famine into the early 20th century, emigration etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

China - Find it amazing how long its been around in one form or another, they had one dynasty lasting about the same time as the roman empire lasted.
    mesopotamia
    eastern roman empire
    crusades and the hold orders
    Irish disporia, particularly military stuff
    Mysteries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

19th-20th cent. Industrial Revolution, esp. shipping and land transport. Social history.
    Would be interested to know more about French Indochina/British Malaya and Burma, not an awful lot out about it. Esp. what the native peoples made of it all.

Bit p*ssed off with recent Irish history, hard to get an unbiased account or a discussion without descending into namecalling.

Advertisement