Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most interesting part of history

Options
  • 19-05-2011 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

what parts of history do you find most interesting?
    i know most people would say the Easter rising, WW1/2 but i know everyone is different. maybe give a little information about it as i would like to branch out and gain more knowledge of all the different events that have taken place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Mesopotamia, because it is essentially the cradle of civilisation (e.g. created writing), has a fully developed literature and the culture is totally alien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't find a particular year or era interesting, and even the things I find interesting tend to change and develop.

At the moment the aspects of Irish history that I find most interesting are how the American and French revolutionaries influenced their Irish counterparts.

I have also been going through volumes of an old Irish society magazine called Irish Life and getting a fascinating insight into how life was for middle/ upper-middle class Irish people (not even necessarily Anglo Irish) in the years just prior to World War I when everything changed so dramatically for them and for their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I always found the fall of the Roman republic the most interesting.

Cato, Cicero, Pompey love learning about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I have really gotten into Irish Lore and parts that make no sense.

I have always been a biography fan and it has moved on from that. Post rising 1916.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well OP , surprisingly enough,I would choose Easter rising /WW1/2 because those periods in time are what our great grandparents , grandparents , mothers and fathers lived through and a fascinating look at how society was at a much slower pace ,how it was shaped , the class system and how people were prepared to die for their cause and beliefs . The Roman period in history would also be of interest to me as well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Pre-WW1, WW1, Russian Revolution and Spanish Civil War.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 debarran

1920's very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've always been interested in the US Civil War.
    And the Mexican War before it and Reconstruction after it

Irish involvement too like the San Patricios, the Irish brigade, Irish on the Confederate side. And even the New York riots
    Saw a brilliant film recently on the Confederate submarine which tried to block the Union blockade
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162897/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

my favourite is neolithic ireland.although unfortunetely it is also a time without any written evidence

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It would be mostly the classical area of Imperial Rome or democratic Athens. It is an interesting contrast on how the ultra-powerful and poorer sections of society both cooperated with or fought against themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I like recent history - 1798 and all that - where there is a chance to read contemporary accounts of events, see actual documents, battle sites etc. rather than rely on myths and stories from fadó, fadó. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Im very interested in political history, I think the 1930's are fascinating. Firstly the rise and rise of Hitler and Facism, communist subversion all over Europe, the Spanish Civil War-the international brigade etc.

I think it was a time of massive political divides, with great masses of the general public extremely political. The idealism of the men who went to fight in the Spanish Civil War from other countries has no parrallel in modern Europe.

Plus in Ireland we had deValera's clever dismantling of the Treaty. All in all very fascinating period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I like recent history - 1798 and all that - where there is a chance to read contemporary accounts of events, see actual documents, battle sites etc. rather than rely on myths and stories from fadó, fadó. :)

Have you seen Sir Jonah Barringtons Memoirs

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/jbarrington/jonahindex.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

CDfm wrote: »
    Have you seen Sir Jonah Barringtons Memoirs

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/jbarrington/jonahindex.htm

I had not but I will be getting myself a copy ASAP after reading a couple of extracts there. His 1798 references to Wexford are very interesting and tie in, in a sensationalist kind of way, with accounts in other books that I have. There's an interesting piece about a priest being eaten (!) which I had not come across before. Thanks for posting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Most interested in the classical civilisations of the Near East and Europe. It's fascinating how they are remarkably like ourselves in some aspects, yet absolutely alien in others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

European history from, approx, 1789-1939. Or the 'extra-long' 19th C, if you will. Particularly well read on the Russian Revolution and early Soviet Union, and 1920s/30s France and Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

the franco-prussian war of 1870, as well as the career of Bismarck always fascinated me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Computer Sci

I have always been fascinated by Medieval and Renaissance history – although the history of classical antiquity is also interesting. I have always been interested in the culture, traditions, music, architecture and castles of the Medieval people. I particulary like Gothic architecture and literature/ poetry such as what one would read in Dante’s Inferno, or see at sites such as Notre Dame or Chartres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

One area of history I have recently developed an enormous interest in is the process of colonization undertaken by European nations around the world in the nineteenth century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I would have loved to have done the American and English Civil Wars in school but all we got was the Land League:rolleyes:
    I've read a huge amount on the French Revolution and the Tudors too. Love the Industrial Revolution and I nearly forgot Henry 11 and the Plantagenets! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I would have to say European colonialism, especially British, and the current remanants of said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I'd have to say the Norman conquest of Britain and Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

my favourite is neolithic ireland.although unfortunetely it is also a time without any written evidence

One of my favourites too - and in spite of the lack of a written record the archeology of the past 50 years has revealed much about the period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Definitely the plantation for me and not far behind it the colonisation of america!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Ireland from 1879 to 1924.
    &
    Facism in Europe in 20th century.
    &
    The Rise and fall of communism as an alternative to capitalism. (I feel a thread title emerging from this one soon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

paky wrote: »
    I'd have to say the Norman conquest of Britain and Ireland

Historically the two cannot be referred to in the same manner i.e as "conquests".

There was the Norman Conquest of England which immediately resulted in William becoming King of England. The same resolute outcome did not happen in Ireland. There was an Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland, but not actually what is historically called a conquest. Ireland presented a very difficult and convoluted picture and Anglo-Norman or English control was confined to the Pale area for centuries. The conquest of Ireland only came with the Tudor Conquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

At the moment I'm on a bit of a Civil War kick. I've been doing a little research in the newspaper archive in Thurles for information on Tipperary. The newspapers do give a real flavour of the times. It's amazing how unpopular the anti-treaty side managed to make themselves in a short space of time. Another point of note is the number of National Army casualties and the lack of commemoration of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

When you think about the past,10+ years ago what is your favourite thing about it?

Mine is HOW MUCH BETTER THINGS WERE MADE.... Quality was 1000% better,clothes felt better to wear,etc....... Houses were made better (Well 50+ years ago)

I am quite disgusted with how things have gone over the last few years,all this cheap crap replaced GOOD THINGS we remembered from years ago.......

What do you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

There is a very similar thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056274043

EDIT: similar Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

MarchDub wrote: »
    Historically the two cannot be referred to in the same manner i.e as "conquests".

There was the Norman Conquest of England which immediately resulted in William becoming King of England. The same resolute outcome did not happen in Ireland. There was an Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland, but not actually what is historically called a conquest. Ireland presented a very difficult and convoluted picture and Anglo-Norman or English control was confined to the Pale area for centuries. The conquest of Ireland only came with the Tudor Conquest.

an attempt to lecture me on history eh?

Advertisement