Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A closer look at Dixie Carter

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Love and Sky are the only two Knockouts to ever effect ratings in any meaningful way

Gail Kim and Awesome Kong clearly had a large effect on TNA. Their feud was the best feud in womens wrestling I have ever seen in North American wrestling. They wasted that gilt edged opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Gail Kim and Awesome Kong clearly had a large effect on TNA. Their feud was the best feud in womens wrestling I have ever seen in North American wrestling. They wasted that gilt edged opportunity.

I agree with you there.But wasn't that such a draw because it was one of very few things Tna did well. Other times it worked with Angle vs Joe which got Tna highest ppv buyrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jimmy jailbreak

Gail Kim and Awesome Kong clearly had a large effect on TNA. Their feud was the best feud in women's wrestling I have ever seen in North American wrestling. They wasted that gilt edged opportunity.

Well simply saying the feud was great doesn't actually mean it drew money. I don't know if it did or not I'm just saying that no matter how hard you work it's the numbers that count and TNA is clearly the kind of company that would show two dogs humping on TV if it meant better ratings. So considering that's how TNA works a quality women's division would technically be a failure if it wasn't a big draw.

On the topic of discrimination there's something I just don't understand. How can TNA's paying of their female roster be considered discriminatory given the circumstances? Women's wrestling is not nearly as popular as men's wrestling and with the exception of Shimmer the only women's wrestling you see in the US is in companies that are centred on male professional wrestling. The match featuring women would only be an added attraction on a card otherwise composed entirely of matches featuring male wrestlers. It's the male wrestlers who are the stars, who headline the show and who do the most work. Usually on a TNA show the women's match will only go on for a couple of minutes. Maybe there's something I'm missing but taking all that into account how can anyone claim that TNA's women are being discriminated against?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

some good points mixed up in the bickering there but good points none the less.

i read through it on my lunch break earlier and there to me seems to be a bit of a whole its either all true or its all lies kind of attitude whenever this issue pops up here.

just cause the likes of douglas has an axe to grind doesn't mean he's not telling the truth.

there does seem to be an awful recurring issue eminating from TNA every now and then with what appears to be the massive imbalance with treatment and payment of the wrestlers on the roster.

thingd like the treatment of roxxi are shocking - daffneys medical issue and its treatment are inexcusible. but take into consideration the money paid to hogan, bischoff, flair and their buddies.

and just cause they have returned to TNA in no way means theres no truth to it - jesus i stayed in a job i absolutely hated for 6 1/2 years. and people often do things out of neccessity rather than choice - if they can make more from independents and personal appearences as a result of television exposure maybe some of them just suck it up and just do what needs to be done to pay the bills -

in addition as to what draws money in TNA - how in the name of fu<k is it even possible to know what draws and what doesnt with the way its run and booked. one weeks jobber is the next weeks main event. you're headlineing the ppv one month, released the next.

but i do think it pops up too often to be dismissed ot of hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

GTR63 wrote: »
    I agree with you there.But wasn't that such a draw because it was one of very few things Tna did well. Other times it worked with Angle vs Joe which got Tna highest ppv buyrate.

The feud was relatively short and as I often say, I have big issues with the use of the word "draw". Given time and a sustained (and I mean sustained) effort, it could have resulted in greater focus on TNA. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Machismo Fan, if I may, there is one thing I don't quite think you're getting, and I swear I'm not trying to get into an argument.

You mention Kong, Gail etc. not having a negative impact on ratings, and I take your point on that, but it's short sighted, TNA need to go up on ratings and on several other metrics, so sure, they can replace talent and keep towing more or less the same line, but right now if they paid slightly more to keep the best talent they would be in better shape.

Take for instance the world of Call Centres, the turnover in staff is huge and is a massive problem, incentivicing your best staff to stay is far more profiable in the long run than having constant turnover.

I'm not taking sides but it was 1 point that was bugging me a touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Wasn't one of their women's champion so broke she couldn't afford to make it to a couple of shows? I remember reading that somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

ayatollah wrote: »
    there does seem to be an awful recurring issue eminating from TNA every now and then with what appears to be the massive imbalance with treatment and payment of the wrestlers on the roster.

Yep from the article:
    You know that thing in WWE, where if a guy gets over and he’s not "supposed to", the company gets mad at him and he’s punished? Something like that happened with the women. Dixie kept bringing in one big star after another and the women still outdrew them. Hogan, RVD, Hardy etc are getting over $10,000 an appearance. Angelina Love is paid $400, and likely barely breaks even after expenses, and is still a bigger ratings draw than all the WWE/WCW guys. What does that say about Dixie’s judgement as a businesswoman?

Crazy as it sounds; I truly believe the women in TNA would be a lot better treated if they had never drawn such great ratings.

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Wasn't one of their women's champion so broke she couldn't afford to make it to a couple of shows? I remember reading that somewhere...

Shantelle Taylor. She worked selling sunglass in a store during the week.

PWTorch has learned that Terry Taylor was fired from his duties as head of TNA's talent relations on Friday.

In a company-wide statement, TNA announced that Dean Broadhead will oversee the contractual end of talent relations. Former WWE executive Bruce Prichard will handle Taylor's other duties.

Taylor had been with the company with 2003 in a management role and served as head of talent relations for the majority of TNA's existence.

Caldwell's Analysis: According to sources in TNA, Prichard is not well-liked by wrestlers in the company. Prichard joined TNA in an agent/producer role last year after spending two decades in WWE working closely with Vince McMahon. His shift to talent relations is closer to his role in WWE.

Nothing to see here just business. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

drayme wrote: »
    Nothing to see here just business. :p

wasn't terry taylor supposed to be quite popular amongst the wrestlers?

i wonder what happened there?

• Advertisement

wasn't terry taylor supposed to be quite popular amongst the wrestlers?

i wonder what happened there?

There is a lot of lawsuits against TNA at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

There is a lot of lawsuits against TNA at the moment.

What others besides Daffney's?

What others besides Daffney's?

Will you claim this is just business too?
    Following on from this, is the news that Daffney may not be the only TNA wrestler considering legal action. Former TNA production manager Randy Ricci told me that many other TNA wrestlers were currently in the process of filing suits with Tennessee’s Department of Employment over injuries they sustained on the job too. Rumours abound that at least one woman is filing a sexual harassment lawsuit against TNA. One other person close to the situation acknowledged this was true when I asked him about these stories, noting:

“There are plenty of other talent who are considering filing suit with the company. TNA is an interesting monster, though. Their legal is based in Texas as a sub company of Panda Energy but the company is an LLC registered in Delaware for tax purposes but all the contracts are written on and legal matters must be settled in TN.”

Ricci then said he was hopeful that things in TNA were changing, and urged fans to take action if they were angry about TNA’s treatment of wrestlers:

"I am very happy that the business practices of TNA wrestling llc are finally coming out and legal action is being taken. What has happened with "Daffney" is a terrible tragedy and unfortunately she is not the only one. It’s my hope that all these questionable actions by the company will not only grab the attention of the U.S. legal system but, also that wrestling fans worldwide take these things into consideration before the decide to watch IMPACT, buy a TNA PPV,TNA live event ticket, or any TNA wrestling merchandise."

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/4/21/2125160/the-sad-story-of-shannon-daffney-spruill

Rumour has it that allegedly Terry Taylor might be named in the Sexual Harassment suit.

Like with WWE there is always casting couch rumours when comes to those in talent relations.

In fairness there's a big difference between rumoured lawsuits from a bad source and actual lawsuits. Have any credible sites reported this?

In fairness there's a big difference between rumoured lawsuits from a bad source and actual lawsuits. Have any credible sites reported this?

Bad source, oh Machismo Fan.

You stonewall to an amazing degree.

That's a no then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Jesus Lads.. Get a room.

That's a no then.

It isnt.

How is it a bad source?

You keep harping on in this vain without reading the article without supplying any evidence to refute it.
    Jesus Lads.. Get a room.

I would like to actually discuss what is actually in the article too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

some good points mixed up in the bickering there but good points none the less.

i read through it on my lunch break earlier and there to me seems to be a bit of a whole its either all true or its all lies kind of attitude whenever this issue pops up here.

just cause the likes of douglas has an axe to grind doesn't mean he's not telling the truth.

thingd like the treatment of roxxi are shocking - daffneys medical issue and its treatment are inexcusible. but take into consideration the money paid to hogan, bischoff, flair and their buddies.

and just cause they have returned to TNA in no way means theres no truth to it - jesus i stayed in a job i absolutely hated for 6 1/2 years. and people often do things out of neccessity rather than choice - if they can make more from independents and personal appearences as a result of television exposure maybe some of them just suck it up and just do what needs to be done to pay the bills -

in addition as to what draws money in TNA - how in the name of fu<k is it even possible to know what draws and what doesnt with the way its run and booked. one weeks jobber is the next weeks main event. you're headlineing the ppv one month, released the next.

but i do think it pops up too often to be dismissed ot of hand

I completely agree with you on all of this, especially about people drawing in TNA.. At the end of the day, no one in TNA is a draw, and the fact that there ratings and segments might jump up, what is literally a minimal amount on the Nielsen Ratings proves no one is a draw.. TNA fans are clearly as blinkered as Dixie Carter is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

Women's wrestling does not draw nobody pays to see good wrestling anyway let alone two mothsers...we wanna see hot girls being sluts

• Advertisement

It isnt.

How is it a bad source?

You keep harping on in this vain without reading the article without supplying any evidence to refute it.

I've said everything I need to say about that article in my first post in this thread. You don't seem to understand what is a good source. The likes of Cageside Seats are useless sites focused entirely on getting hits and prey on people gullible enough to take what they say at face value, using nonexistent or unreliable sources that credible sites don't go near for a reason. You never see the likes of PW Insider quoting people like Ricci (who hasn't worked for TNA in four years so I can't see how he can possibly be in touch with the current company) because they check their facts before they post anything. Nothing these people say can be independently proven.

To believe what these sites spout out is just plain foolish. You seem to believe everything you read on these sites which is just ludicrous practice. There is some merit in these pieces but very little as it's crowded out amongst the gossip, speculation and sensationalism. I've gone in circles about this for far too long now and at this stage I've said all I need to say.

I've said everything I need to say about that article in my first post in this thread. You don't seem to understand what is a good source. The likes of Cageside Seats are useless sites focused entirely on getting hits and prey on people gullible enough to take what they say at face value, using nonexistent or unreliable sources that credible sites don't go near for a reason. You never see the likes of PW Insider quoting people like Ricci (who hasn't worked for TNA in four years so I can't see how he can possibly be in touch with the current company) because they check their facts before they post anything. Nothing these people say can be independently proven.

To believe what these sites spout out is just plain foolish. You seem to believe everything you read on these sites which is just ludicrous practice. There is some merit in these pieces but very little as it's crowded out amongst the gossip, speculation and sensationalism. I've gone in circles about this for far too long now and at this stage I've said all I need to say.

You didnt read the article yet you have complained about it. Sorry but you are a bit of a hypocrite here.

Secondly where did I ever say that I believe everything in that article? It may seem that way when I am up against some who is stonewall as you.

You've yet to explain why it is a "bad source" and you have yet refuted any of the claims either. Credible sites like PWTorch and Wrestling Observer have both referenced CageSideSeats articles in the past. On that Daffney story Daffney herself linked and tweeted it. Ricci has broken a number of stories in the past. PWInsider has also referenced Ricci in the past. So erm yeah. Also to claim PWInsider isnt about hits is laughable given the amount of pop ups and spyware on that site.

I really do hope you've said all you need to say as you haven't really addressed anything that is in the article which this topic is about. Also the last paragraph is plain ridiculous if you actually read the article.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jesus lads though this thread had cleared itself up yesterday after your not so auspicious start. Machismo Man/Drayme please let it go.

Machismo fan, you have Mr TNA of the PW forum in your sig and admitted at the start of the discussion you hadnt properly read the article therefore It is understandable for your opinion to be questioning and for you to be seen as blindly defending your favourite wrestling promotion.

However Drayme right or wrong, Machismo fan does not need to agree with you. This is something I said to others about you in Raw threads several times so you should get what I mean, even if your right and you lay out exactly why you hold your beliefs and provide sources to prove your words Machismo does not have to agree with you and if he doesent you should not react in a negative way nor should you continue to go around in circles debating the point and in doings so derail any thread.

Personally im getting a little bit sick of this and from now on will be instantly issuing a warning to anyone i feel is a) Intentionally provoking an arguement from Drayme (or anyone else but this isnt the first occasion like this) or b) Drayme, you dont generally break boards rules but if fighting on threads continue to occur around you without anyone provoking it as mentioned above then the mods will have to look at your actions.

I wasn't looking for him to agree with me. I am a lot more pragmatic than that. I was only looking for him to read the article he was criticising.

I wasn't looking to take the thread off topic. How many times did I express that I wanted to get back on topic and wondering aloud why Machismo Man is commenting so much on an article he hasn't read. I reported this situation early on but nothing was done.

But I do take your advice on board.

Advertisement