Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fillers on Irish TV in the 80'ies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I think so, we had to sell our eyes to buy bovril in 1981

Bovril bah, we just had Maverick

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

WindSock wrote: »
    I am still with you on your quest for that show! It was pink too, the back ground? Wonder if any AHers might know...

Is this it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bovril bah, we just had Maverick

We got through the winter of 81/82 supping mugs of "burnt bits" in warm water, I never did ask....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Nah that looks like da Vinci compared to the one I'm thinking of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oooh, looks very similar to the info given, but no. As NHead said it was not as sophisticated. From what I could vaguely muster up it was more like...Worker and Parasite from the Simpsons, only more scribblier. And pink / blue backgrounds. I have a feeling it may be a French production too.

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »
    It's the holy grail of retro questions. The more I think about it the more I suspect it was never actually on tv per se and instead was some sort of state sponsored experiment to see could subliminal images be implanted in children of the day. Clearly it worked.

This may have happened. Ohh, what's that flashing light on my tellybox?

KILL THE QUEEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Or the ads that only showed a static picture with a voiceover.
    "Cashs of Cork - sale starts tomorrow"
    "Firebird boilers", "Butterly Bricks"

The green alien guy cartoon had Kraftwerk's Autobahn in the background. Hamilton The Elephant seemed a bit of a Dumbo rip-off; the frog in The Butterfly Ball was a Kermit rip-off.

An animation nobody remembers except one guy who started a thread on it on All Things Retro ages ago and nobody could shed light on it: early to mid 80s, RTE showed it on a loop - guy gets up for work and goes out to... what you'd expect to be his car but it's actually a rocket with a little union jack on it. He heads into space and there are things floating around like sunglasses and a Mars bar... then he wakes up and actually heads to work. The animation was both drawn and featuring magazine cut-outs - collage kinda effect.

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

First is classic RTE filler.

Second from the Beeb still thrills and third was a real fave of mine, though the witch made me nervy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There was a cartoon called Barnaby - kinda a Charlie Brown rip-off - about a boy and his fairy godfather, an Oirish dude with wings called Mr O'Malley. Can't find anything on YouTube re it. Most of these were from the animators Halas & Batchelor (the poor man's Hanna & Barbera).

Dudess wrote: »
    There was a cartoon called Barnaby - kinda a Charlie Brown rip-off - about a boy and his fairy godfather, an Oirish dude with wings called Mr O'Malley. Can't find anything on YouTube re it. Most of these were from the animators Halas & Batchelor (the poor man's Hanna & Barbera).

Looks promising...having a look now through various sites. They seemed to have had a lot of stuff, some look familiar and are now flooding my brain from what the original may be. Found this though....it's like their version of the WB dancing frog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I suppose the Sullivans was the ultimate filler, used to be the first programme on RTE 2 at 5.30, long before Zig and Zag and childrens TV.

I suppose the ESB and Bord na Mona ads were iconic but the Harp ones were massive too, thought it was earlier than 92:

The fertilizer ads during ad breaks for All Irelands!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

K-9 wrote: »

Triple-A golden Maverick & Net Nitrate Net Urea.

As a city boy, no idea what it meant but I've retained the brand names.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    That was BBC , I don't ever remember seeing it on RTE

they showed a load of "National Film Board of Canada" moving wallpaper stuff

:D I'd forgotten about that one, the fella from the Maxwell House ads. I remember a controversy over using an English actor in an Irish TV ad.

The idea of the dog has been copied in films but I'm sure they probably copied it of somewhere.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Triple-A golden Maverick & Net Nitrate Net Urea.

As a city boy, no idea what it meant but I've retained the brand names.
    Sceptic mange mite
    and mastitis

and other such words

Used to like the cowboy tripple A ads

:D I remember Now, which was Now 1! Anybody remember the Roxy, RTE's attempt at Top of the Pops, Kevin Sharkey from Killybegs, a black lad on TV was so new and original!

These are class, Ciana Campbell went onto to be a big "star", had her own show I think:

Room outside with Gerry Daly! Jaysus, RTE 2 was bad, took NightHawks to drag into the 20th century.

Press Bonanza, anybody remember the scratch cards in the Indo, they banned them with the "giveaways" from petrol stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Used to like the cowboy tripple A ads

A for Acidified
    A for Anti-Scour
    A for Accelerated Growth

Farmers must have been the only people buying anything,

Every second ad was about Liver Fluke and Mange Mite

But we were happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

:D I remember Now, which was Now 1! Anybody remember the Roxy, RTE's attempt at Top of the Pops, Kevin Sharkey from Killybegs, a black lad on TV was so new and original!

Nah, the Roxy was on ITV (HTV or UTV depending on where you lived)

Although he did present a music show called Megamix with Flo McSweeney on RTE for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SkidMark wrote: »
    A for Acidified
    A for Anti-Scour
    A for Accelerated Growth

Farmers must have been the only people buying anything,

Every second ad was about Liver Fluke and Mange Mite

But we were happy out.

Not to forget all ireland day, with its uniquely bogger ads at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

K-9 wrote: »
    I suppose the Sullivans was the ultimate filler, used to be the first programme on RTE 2 at 5.30, long before Zig and Zag and childrens TV.

I suppose the ESB and Bord na Mona ads were iconic but the Harp ones were massive too, thought it was earlier than 92:

I can't find the viking one :(

a harda meeda hurp in earda--ve came because ve heard about de harp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Just had one of those Eureka moments today. There was a cartoon that was always being shown as filler on RTE in the 80s, the bit that stuck in my mind was a where a waiter sings a duet with a pigs head on a platter and then swaps heads with the pig. Could never for the life of me identify it, till now. (Pig bit is from 2:20)

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It was the 80's. I'm not old enough to remember the 70's and I remember that show. I read the wiki page on it a while back. I didn't realise the cultural significance of it at the time.

Whilst on the subject, does anyone remember the Czechoslovakian cartoons that RTE would slap on every so often? They were very arty things and not aimed at kids. Such a disappointment to an 8 year old.

I liked them for their sheer weirdness, couldn't for the life of me identify most of them now. Some of them would be shown again and again and there were others that you'd see just once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

"Aou- to- baaaaahn".

We'd be sitting there with out parents watching the little alien dude running and sommersaulting down these psychedelic tunnels to Kraftwerk and no one ever switched off or switched over. Totally bizarre when I think about it now.

And the incredibly violent Eastern European stop-start plasticine animations torturing each other in disturbingly inventive ways.

I remember the Autobahn one well.

Another that was on constant rotation was Roger Glovers Butterfly Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

The Sullivans

Filler was more short stuff used to plug a short gap in the schedules, animation shorts and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Watch the chase during the opening credits and then switch over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Sullivans was great. Really authentic and reflected the war period very well. Excellent detail. 1,114 episodes over 23 DVD volumes.

In Australia it ran for four episodes a week and was broadcast from 1976-1983.

RTE started showing it in 1977 and only broadcast one episode a week. Miserable bastards. That's the primary reason why people make smart comments about it.

RTE would drop it if there was showjumping or snooker. As a result, they still hadn't finished the run by the late 1990s.

Advertisement