Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fillers on Irish TV in the 80'ies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Who doesnt love a good documentary on Canadian logging? I bought a 14 disc boxset on logging. Very interesting.

my one was only tree disks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Saila wrote: »
    my one was only tree disks :(

Oh dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

spurious wrote: »
    Lolek and Bolek often featured if I remember correctly.
    t.
    thank you pure crap they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

noggin the nog who rembers him?

it was a load of crap tooooo:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

bonerm wrote: »
    Don't remember that. The show I was thinking of was all purple backgrounds and looked like it was drawn by a 2 year old.

I am still with you on your quest for that show! It was pink too, the back ground? Wonder if any AHers might know...

beaver111 wrote: »
    bit like mannix on a sunday evening:D
    yea mannix was good joe mannix played by mike conners never heard much about him when the series ended.. Anyone know what happened to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Green Cross Code, though it was more an ad.

I do remember a documentary about logging in Canada. Definitely wasn't the Beachcombers, a documentary type thing they showed a few times.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Did one of the 4 ,5 or 6 TV native stations at the time
    I dont know what special satellite dish you had, but we had only RTE 1 and Network 2 in our house in the 80s. There were no other domestic Irish tv stations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

WindSock wrote: »
    I am still with you on your quest for that show! It was pink too, the back ground? Wonder if any AHers might know...

I remember the cartoon but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Windsock, it was pink also. Somebody has to know! Beachcombers was on in the 80s as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭cml387

Nhead wrote: »
    I remember the cartoon but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Windsock, it was pink also. Somebody has to know! Beachcombers was on in the 80s as well

Where are you going with your purples and pinks?It was shades of grey for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I remember coming home from school in the 80’ies and switching on the TV. Ten minutes later when the ****en thing had warmed up invariably there was some ****e documentary about logging in Canada. Can anyone one remember these? or why the these were even broadcast? Did one of the 4 ,5 or 6 TV native stations at the time get them for nothing?
    i remember posting here on a forum called all things retro, why don't you do the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Did one of the 4 ,5 or 6 TV native stations

Eh, what country are we talking about? I can only remember Radio Telefis Eireann 1 & 2 in the 80's.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Eh, what country are we talking about? I can only remember Radio Telefis Eireann 1 & 2 in the 80's.

Posh barsteward

We only had Radio Telefis Eireann 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

yea mannix was good joe mannix played by mike conners never heard much about him when the series ended.. Anyone know what happened to him?

I seem to recall that he got knocked unconscious in practically every episode,did he ever get off with peggy,his hot black assistant?
    wasn't the rockford files and ironsides on in that decade too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

WindSock wrote: »

It's the holy grail of retro questions. The more I think about it the more I suspect it was never actually on tv per se and instead was some sort of state sponsored experiment to see could subliminal images be implanted in children of the day. Clearly it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I vaguely remember the logging thing. And the little green space fella running for like 2 hours to jean michael jarre or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I remember all sorts of cheap crap on RTE in the 80s.

I remember eastern european cartoons kids used to hate. I remember the logging programme that nobody wanted to watch.

I think RTE was great for family life. When even watching paint dry is more entertaining it is only natural families will talk more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

All I remember is 5 minutes of Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry cartoons whenever the schedule was out of whack. You never see that now, RTE being such a well oiled machine an' all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Agricola wrote: »
    All I remember is 5 minutes of Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry cartoons whenever the schedule was out of whack. You never see that now, RTE being such a well oiled machine an' all!

This was the case in the UK too.

....dashing home on our BMX bikes to watch Dukes of Hazzard on a saturday evening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

grenache wrote: »
    I dont know what special satellite dish you had, but we had only RTE 1 and Network 2 in our house in the 80s. There were no other domestic Irish tv stations.
    you’re right I couldn’t remember how many stations we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its great that the television schedules are no longer padded with low quality filler programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I remember coming home from school in the 80’ies and switching on the TV. Ten minutes later when the ****en thing had warmed up invariably there was some ****e documentary about logging in Canada. Can anyone one remember these? or why the these were even broadcast? Did one of the 4 ,5 or 6 TV native stations at the time get them for nothing?

are you thinking of that program on RTE about canadian loggers. it was on about 4 o'clock.....oh crap what was it. *something* cove

Was this Beachcomers with Nick, Relic & all the rest?

I remember this in the '70s.

BEACHCOMBERS thats it!!!!

nothing to do with cove

Posh barsteward

We only had Radio Telefis Eireann 1

oooh Mr 'I have matching shoes' swanky pants over here!

We had to draw a picture of of a tele on the wall, a wall made of blood, and pretend. Even then we only ever got teletext

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tombones

I'm also unemployed and enjoy giving out about 80's TV schedules. I'm thinking about staring at the wall for a few hours aswell.

oooh Mr 'I have matching shoes' swanky pants over here!

We had to draw a picture of of a tele on the wall, a wall made of blood, and pretend. Even then we only ever got teletext

You had a wall

Seriously was about 1984 when they got round to building a transponder in Castletownbeare to repeat the signal for RTE 2 up the valley to us.

You had a wall

Seriously was about 1984 when they got round to building a transponder in Castletownbeare to repeat the signal for RTE 2 up the valley to us.

I think so, we had to sell our eyes to buy bovril in 1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Its great that the television schedules are no longer padded with low quality filler programmes.

Yes. Now we have low quality channels instead.

Advertisement