Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thanks for that, a civilised answer at least :) So effectively against a Red Bull, the point at which DRS becomes effective is a lot tighter than others due to them being able to get on the power earlier. That makes sense, and just shows its one hell of a machine that car...even without KERS too.

Don't forget the Renault engine is supposed to be one of the best under acceleration.
    But yeah the RB is not a bad car!
    Grim. wrote: »
    ahh colin kolles motorsports biggest twat

What did he say/do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    The red bull is able to get on full power in the corner and drive onto the straight much better than anyone then the drs zone is too far away when the engine's are basically on the limiter so DRS doesn't give them the speed to make up the gap, by the time they start to get close they are in the breaking zone. DRS will always be more effective when the zone is near the start of a straight where they are accelerating than half way down a long straight when there are nearly at top speed.
    Funny enough Hamilton was about 20 kph slower than Vettel as he exited the last corner (obviously, as he's still accelerating) yet in the short run to the activation zone Hamilton was already at the same speed, showing that even without DRS Hamilton was much faster on the straight but the last corner cost him too much.
    The fact you can use drs behind a backmarker is a stupid idea. Cost Hamilton victory today, on 3rd and 2nd last laps hamilton was ready to man him but luckily for seb those backmarkers were there.
    Agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    What did he say/do?

na just my opinion lol really dont like the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I think this was the race that shows Vettel's improved racecraft/maturity.

Not even a lock up. Sublime. Hamilton & Vettel is developing into a nice little rivalry!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Wonder are Redbull burning more fuel in qualifying to blow the defuser harder and then loosing this advantage during the race when they need to manage the fuel over the race distance

• Advertisement

Wonder are Redbull burning more fuel in qualifying to blow the defuser harder and then loosing this advantage during the race when they need to manage the fuel over the race distance

Sounds plausible. Hard to know just how big their purely aero advantage is with their apex speed advantage and generally lower top speed.

amacachi wrote: »
    Sounds plausible. Hard to know just how big their purely aero advantage is with their apex speed advantage and generally lower top speed.

It's just hard to see why they were a second ahead of McLaren in qualifying and then on race day it's much closer between the teams

It's just hard to see why they were a second ahead of McLaren in qualifying and then on race day it's much closer between the teams

I'm pretty much agreeing with you, but there are other possibilities like a smaller fuel tank etc. RB seem to have a much bigger range in top speeds over a race so there's clearly something going on, your solution would is pretty neat but what I'd like to see top speeds in qualifying to compare to the race. They seem to still have a big apex speed advantage in the race though.

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm pretty much agreeing with you, but there are other possibilities like a smaller fuel tank etc. RB seem to have a much bigger range in top speeds over a race so there's clearly something going on, your solution would is pretty neat but what I'd like to see top speeds in qualifying to compare to the race. They seem to still have a big apex speed advantage in the race though.

The difference would be the slower corners when off throttle, having the engine generate lots of exhaust pressure by burning more fuel, higher speed corners engine would be revving high enough either way. Place like Monaco qualifying would be big advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I'd love to see Hamilton get a clear win under his belt in Monaco or Canada... i think he has a good shot in Canada. It will spice the drivers c/ship up a notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Martin Brundle suggested that Red Bull's DRS is a better system than other teams. They have free use of this in practice and qualifying but not in the race.

Plausible I suppose, Red Bull are better in corners anyway so throw in a very effective DRS system and that could explain the qualifying dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The RedBulls are using it on the exit of high speed corners which would suggest:

a)their drivers are lunatics
    b)their aero package car as a whole is better than the rest of the grid
    c)magnets :pac:

FYP :P

Newey designing the car is always gonna set a team off on the right foot, the man is just a genius. He's got it figured so they don't need the KERS but still are running away from the rest of the pack most of the time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The RedBulls are using it on the exit of high speed corners which would suggest:

a)their drivers are lunatics

Put Vettel and Webber into the Hispania cars and see what they do then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Put Vettel and Webber into the Hispania cars and see what they do then :P

I'd love to see that :D

Advertisement