Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai to clamp down due to Queens visit.

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

I was talking to a police officer today, he stated to me that because of the Queens visit and the Gardai overtime and the cost of the whole charade, that Gardai would be clamping down on the public, arresting people for the slightest things to gain revenue for the money lost over the Queens visit.

Example :

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Those few backing away from the Guards must feel great about themselves now, when in reality, they were being twits.

And as for your theory about revenue raising, the arrests of 21 people for public order offences is really gonna knock the socks off that security bill, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

"I'm an observer for Amnesty International". Good for you, you pillock. I'm sure the widespread and clearly evident human rights abuses by the Gardai are high on their priorities to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

RMD wrote: »
    "I'm an observer for Amnesty International". Good for you, you pillock. I'm sure the widespread and clearly evident human rights abuses by the Gardai are high on their priorities to deal with.

Name calling, how clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

no doubt they'll use the free men of the land bolloxolgy in a few months to get off on the charges.

• Advertisement

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    no doubt they'll use the free men of the land bolloxolgy in a few months to get off on the charges.

You think it'll work ?

If, as you say "they'll use the free men of the land bolloxolgy in a few months to get off on the charges"...

Then it's not exactly "bolloxology", is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

/agree

Every available Gatso van has been deployed in Donegal, clearly a dirty moneysnatching trick. Expect parking fines aplenty in the oncoming weeks. Could well be a more sinister political undertone to this visit, but maybe I'm lurking here too much. Suppose this counts as my hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Talk E wrote: »
    You think it'll work ?

If, as you say "they'll use the free men of the land bolloxolgy in a few months to get off on the charges"...

Then it's not exactly "bolloxology", is it ?
    well done you picked up on a typo

What's the cost of the visit? About €8m or so?

Parking fines and public order fines are gonna really make a dent in that.

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    well done you picked up on a typo

Well done to you, on that follow-up sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

CiaranMT wrote: »
    What's the cost of the visit? About €8m or so?

Parking fines and public order fines are gonna really make a dent in that.

Between 30 and 35 million.

They have to make up for it somehow, you think they're gonna pull it out of thin air ?

EDIT:

Your right, they are :)

EDIT : take 2

Isnt the public always hit with the bill, one way or another ??

Hogzy wrote: »
    Between 30 and 35 million.

Makes the whole idea even more laughable :pac:

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Makes the whole idea even more laughable :pac:

Maybe the Queen will foot the bill. :pac:

Pretty cool of you to know the cost... I can only imagine the other stuff you know. Dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Hmm...

I don't know why that guy was arrested, but this video by no means shows he was innocent. He was arrested for an unknown reason. No proof here of garda mis-handling etc.

Also... Absolutely no way that they are arresting extra people to try cover the expense of the queens visit. Anybody even remotely intelligent or even able to count should be able to see that the arrests or fines would not make a dent in the bill.

The queen needs to be protected. The garda are ensuring this happens. Those people need not have been there pestering the garda making their jobs harder.

Pretty cool of you to know the cost... I can only imagine the other stuff you know. Dont.

It has been plastered all over EVERY new report i have read/watched?

Have you even seen the news today?

EDIT: Just to put words into facts:
    Source 1 - The Guardian UK
    Source 2 Al Jazeera ENG
    Source 3 BBC News
    Source 4 Daily Telegraph
    Source 5 Irish Independent

The power of Google eh :rolleyes:

muboop1 wrote: »
    Hmm...

I don't know why that guy was arrested, but this video by no means shows he was innocent. He was arrested for an unknown reason. No proof here of garda mis-handling etc.

Also... Absolutely no way that they are arresting extra people to try cover the expense of the queens visit. Anybody even remotely intelligent or even able to count should be able to see that the arrests or fines would not make a dent in the bill.

The queen needs to be protected. The garda are ensuring this happens. Those people need not have been there pestering the garda making their jobs harder.

I didnt mean to suggest that they were arresting people today to pay for their losses over the queens visit. When I said clamp down, I mean over the next 6 months, yeah or whatever it takes.

The guy who was arrested in the OP post is Steve Bennett, A peace activist @ act for Palestine amongst others.
    http://www.facebook.com/progaza

It has been plastered all over EVERY new report i have read/watched?

Have you even seen the news today?

Exactly :pac:

I was being sarcastic toward Ciaran... who obviously hadnt a clue what the cost was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

This is pityful, the americans have been putting up with far worse for the last 10 years. All civil liberties lost since 9/11. This is just to be 100% sure. I don't know much about the extent of garda powers in different situations and "threat levels" but I'm pretty sure this is all very standard. No noise weapons, tear gas, rubber bullets, gating, battery etc. It all looked to me like fairly standard crowd control, over an aggressive crowd.

Actually, just had a closer look at that video...

Twat clearly deserved it! He was asked to move along, he wouldn't. He was pushed lightly with a shield he went back at the garda hard..
    Garda pushed him along again (lightly). He elbowed back at garda..

They pushed him along one or twice more, he obviously wasn't going to move so was rightly arrested. Worth mentioning that all the while he was being asked to move along... He was being a d1ck. Glad he got arrested.

• Advertisement

Actually, just found another camera view on that dude being arrested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDLFboDKjgg

Twat clearly deserved it! He was asked to move along, he wouldn't. He was pushed lightly with a shield he went back at the garda hard..
    Garda pushed him along again (lightly). He elbowed back at garda..

They pushed him along one or twice more, he obviously wasn't going to move so was rightly arrested. Worth mentioning that all the while he was being asked to move along... He was being a d1ck. Glad he got arrested.

When Gardai say move, you move, right? lol

You dont have a right to stand in a particular place. Your a perspective terrorist.

So you get charged with a criminal offense.

Good man.

Keep standing up for your rights.

You dont have a right to stand in a particular place. Your a perspective terrorist.

So you get charged with a criminal offense.

Good man.

Keep standing up for your rights.

Are you being sarcastic again or what? I dont understand your tone?

Under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 the Gardai can request an individual to move from an area. If that inividual fails to comply with the Garda's request then they have committed an offense under the act.
    Gardai MUST ask you to leave before you are arrested.

The guy in the video is being completely unreasonable and probably should have been arrested under the public order act.

The Garda is exercising his powers. those same powers that try keep that man safe by protecting the people. When he is undermined it affects his ability to protect and serve.

The garda have orders to keep an area clear, they do it. What need had that man to act up? His principals? That worked well if so. He was just making an already more difficult situation more difficult. Congratulations...

Anyway, completely off topic. This is a failed conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You dont have a right to stand in a particular place. Your a perspective terrorist. rights.

This is how a police force works. Your terrorist comment is stupid embellishment. A person can be ordered to move for loads of reasons. You talk about standing up for rights, what about the rights of the residents of Dorset street that could not safely go outside with gob****es throwing bricks and letting off fireworks on their street?that seems like more of an infringement of rights to me

The Garda is exercising his powers. those same powers that try keep that man safe by protecting the people. When he is undermined it affects his ability to protect and serve.

The garda have orders to keep an area clear, they do it. What need had that man to act up? His principals? That worked well if so. He was just making an already more difficult situation more difficult. Congratulations...

Anyway, completely off topic. This is a failed conspiracy.

Perhaps I was a little hasty with the example video I presented, I'm sure there will be better examples over the coming weeks/months. This is by no means a failed conspiracy theory. I heard it from the horses mouth who heard it from his superiors. There is a clamp down coming, they need to make up for lost revenue. More cars will be impounded, more people will be arrested for the pettiest of things and the courts will be slapping people with heavier fines than usual.

Perhaps I was a little hasty with the example video I presented, I'm sure there will be better examples over the coming weeks/months. This is by no means a failed conspiracy theory. I heard it from the horses mouth who heard it from his superiors. There is a clamp down coming, they need to make up for lost revenue. More cars will be impounded, more people will be arrested for the pettiest of things and the courts will be slapping people with heavier fines than usual.

Its no conspiracy. Its blatently obvious they need more revenue given the tax deficit.

There have been Customs checks ALL over the place pulling UK reg cars over so they can charge the VRT, Fair play to them. I VRT'd my car the day after i arrived home with it. It pisses me off to see people not paying VRT or Motor tax and getting a free ride when i have to pay.

Its no conspiracy. Its blatantly obvious the state agencies will be trying to scoop up as much revenue as they can. We just took out an €85bn loan. It has to be repaid somehow.

Its no conspiracy. Its blatently obvious they need more revenue given the tax deficit.

There have been Customs checks ALL over the place pulling UK reg cars over so they can charge the VRT, Fair play to them. I VRT'd my car the day after i arrived home with it. It pisses me off to see people not paying VRT or Motor tax and getting a free ride when i have to pay.

Its no conspiracy. Its blatantly obvious the state agencies will be trying to scoop up as much revenue as they can. We just took out an €85bn loan. It has to be repaid somehow.

So what your saying is.. Gardai are no longer guardians of the peace ? They are revenue collectors ? :eek:

Well that's a conspiracy in itself, isn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

So what your saying is.. Gardai are no longer guardians of the peace ? They are revenue collectors ? :eek:

Revenue collected through the process of people breaking the law. You conveniently forgot to add that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

This would be the case if the gardai only paid attention to crimes that had a financial punishment and ignored everything else.

• Advertisement

Jesus does everything need to be explained to you???
    Gardai enforce the law. Revenue is collected when people break the law.

What dont you understand?

Advertisement