Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap the wedding band, get a DJ for the whole night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

ya id been to a wedding with a full dj. i'm doing the same. i just can't justify spending €3000 for a few hours work when a dj can be just as good if not better for less than half the price. i got a guy that is well known at home and has done loads of weddings plus nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If you'd rather a dj than a band then do what suits you best. However you don't need to spend 3000 to get a good band. We have band and dj for just over half of that. However our wedding is on a Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

If you'd rather a dj than a band then do what suits you best. However you don't need to spend 3000 to get a good band. We have band and dj for just over half of that. However our wedding is on a Thursday

Just thinking, I gave a friend a list of bands to get quotes from for his wedding. There were only 2 bands out of 10 that were over 2.5k, and even they were known top end of the market bands of which make up a low percentage of bands in the country, so unless the comment was about a 10 piece jazz orchestra, Im not sure where the 3k figure came from.
    You can certainly get what you pay for at that level and theres a service for every budget (maybe they want a jazz orchestra) but it doesnt sound like it as they went for Dj instead.

Lots of good bands available between 1500-2000 mark. Gotta do your homework and hope theyre free but theyre out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Depends on the people who you have at the wedding really - my brother in law had a DJ at his marquee wedding and it was fantastic we were all young and up for the craic and the couple had the great idea of asking for song requests on the rsvp cards so they ended up with a huge mix of songs! Fantastic night!

Then again a friend had a DJ at hers in a fancy hotel and about four people went up dancing before they got bored. It killed the night and had a real dingey feel to it.

We had mainly musicians at ours (all my family are or work with musicians in some form) so we had a young band that my brother is lead singer in their 20's playing up to date music and then an eclectic mix of people of all ages performing - we booked a DJ too but he got sent home at 3am as everyone was loving the band and they kept it going till 6am. It worked as everyone was catered for and the youngies were trying to impress the seasoned older musicians.
    A friend of ours had a family full of trad band players and the night was fantastic fun (and i hate trad music!) We were talking about it for weeks!

On the other hand a cousin had a band that was just dismal - they had the look of a great band with the full five piece jazz, blues brothers look but they were just not any good and I know she paid a pretty penney for them.

It's basically down to research - bring a gang of friends and family to hear the DJ perform at other weddings if you can - we helped out a friend doing this (usually the DJ or band can ask you to see them perform somewhere) and get a feel for how they get a crowd going!

Hope it all goes well and ye have an amazing day and night!:)

Advertisement