Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap the wedding band, get a DJ for the whole night

Options
  • 17-05-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

After tonnes of research I've decided a wedding band is not for me...
    I would like a DJ as the alternative for a wedding band, i.e, can play great music but I feel this person also needs to be a fantastic MC too, they would need to interact with the crowd between songs & be an all round entertainer.
    I just cant justify spending 2k on 3 hrs music (thats 5 weeks wages for me & my job is not secure)
    Has anyone any suggestions? Has anyone been to a wedding like this before? Or do you this this is a terrible idea??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Been at a few weddings with just a DJ. They can be great and terrible. Just depends on the DJ. If you get a good one it will be brilliant, if you get a bad one it will be bad for 5 hours.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had just a DJ for my wedding and it worked out great. He played from 9 til 2 and the dancefloor was packed all night.

It was a combination of reasons really, firstly I'm not mad on wedding bands, I have nothing against them, it's just my feeling on it. I prefer hearing songs the way they are originally sung by the artist, rather than hearing them possibly sung badly (seriously some bands need to realise that they just can't pull off 'Don't Stop Believing'). I've heard some brilliant wedding bands, and also some truly awful ones too! From the ones I looked at, getting a decent one was working out quite expensive so we just went with the DJ instead, rather than having to organise both a DJ and a band.

It's the same with a DJ as with a band though, as The Chevron said, if you get a bad one it can be terrible. I was at a wedding in January and the DJ was truly awful, couldn't judge what the crowd wanted at all and a lot of people were talking about how terrible he was the next day. My prevailing memory of that night was when he'd finished playing a slow set and then said 'Alright ladies and gentlemen, that's the end of the erection section.' There were lots of kids at the wedding, and even if there hadn't been, to say something like that was completely inappropriate! The main thing is do your research, try and see them playing a set and look for recommendations from other people before you book.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭fuddy1

Getting married next year and not even considering having a band, there was no question, we both just knew we wanted a DJ only. Have been to lots of weddings over the years and couldn't honestly tell one band from another, not one stood out from the rest. Not saying they were all bad .....some good some not......but have spoken to people and most wouldnt be able to pick one wedding band from another!! Its too much money to spend when you cant be sure your getting anything special. Best wedding I was ever at had a DJ for the whole night....people still talk about dancing all night and the music being fab. Will obviously have to research carefully, need someone with lots of experience playing weddings and not other types of parties as they are very different. Obviously each to their own, but this was the easiest wedding thing to decide for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I am getting married in Sept and we are just getting a DJ - have booked the person through a DJ firm and they are booked for the entire day for less than 2k - so they will play before the meal, during the meal and then for the rest of the night and will be in a tux if we ask them too. Bands are expensive and I have been to weddings with only DJ's and they were great. then again I was at one recently and the DJ was brutal - didn't paly requests (even the grooms) but sure it is a risk you take

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

bp wrote: »
    I am getting married in Sept and we are just getting a DJ - have booked the person through a DJ firm and they are booked for the entire day for less than 2k - so they will play before the meal, during the meal and then for the rest of the night and will be in a tux if we ask them too. Bands are expensive and I have been to weddings with only DJ's and they were great. then again I was at one recently and the DJ was brutal - didn't paly requests (even the grooms) but sure it is a risk you take

good luck
    2K???

That sounds pretty expensive, even if its for the whole day. You could get some celebrity to come and DJ for less than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

2k is a ridiculous amount of money to be paying for a DJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

bytheglass wrote: »
    Has anyone been to a wedding like this before? Or do you this this is a terrible idea??

Yes, mine! And we never regretted it. I think he was from Pro-DJs and had previously done my brother's wedding, who didn't have a band either.

The DJ himself paid a visit a week or so before the gig to discuss the music and I gave him a playlist which he was happy with as he said we'd done his work for him and provided a good mix which he thought would work. I remember him saying "Sometimes people even ask for stuff like 'Tears in Heaven' - at a wedding!" His only change was that he said he had a policy of kicking off without about 30 minutes of Abba, as this was the best way to get all ages on the floor early. It worked too, and a great night was had. I don't recall anyone saying it would have been better with a band.

As someone else said, I've seen plenty of wedding bands, but somehow they all leave an indelible blank on your mind... On the other hand, if you could get The Boss for the evening... :)

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Thanks for all the insight, I think a DJ is definately the way to go, I did some brief online searches earlier today & the comparison for music from 9.30pm until 2am is approx €600 quid (DJ only) to approx €1800 (Band & DJ)

Thanks for helping me decide... It's a 'no-brainer' for me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'll do it for 400 lol

2k is madness, especially in these times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

TheChevron wrote: »
    Been at a few weddings with just a DJ. They can be great and terrible. Just depends on the DJ. If you get a good one it will be brilliant, if you get a bad one it will be bad for 5 hours.

But you could say the same thing about a band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The worst wedding I was ever at was one where they only had a DJ. His entire setlist appeared to be various Jive Bunny-style megamixes, loads of medleys with the same backing track. It was a boring enough wedding anyway, but that was undoubtedly the worst part of it. There's nothing wrong with just having a DJ, but I'd suggest that you approach it in exactly the same way most couples decide on their bands - get recommendations and go see them live in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The key to a good disco only wedding is a dj who is confident on the mic and with previous experience of a few full weddings and a good variety of music across different genres. An average dj can pull off an after band set if the band have done a good job but it is more difficult for a dj to create atmosphere on his own and one should expect to pay a decent fee to acheive this. One of the things I personally enjoy from a full wedding is the opportunity to play more of the clients playlist and I also get to choose more of the songs I would feel complement their choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

crap sorry I was wrong - it is under 1k, €950, I think I was thinking of how much a band wanted to charge - my bad

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Zaph wrote: »
    The worst wedding I was ever at was one where they only had a DJ. His entire setlist appeared to be various Jive Bunny-style megamixes, loads of medleys with the same backing track. It was a boring enough wedding anyway, but that was undoubtedly the worst part of it. There's nothing wrong with just having a DJ, but I'd suggest that you approach it in exactly the same way most couples decide on their bands - get recommendations and go see them live in action.

That's exactly what the awful one we saw did. Then he stuck on a Luke Kelly greatest hits and fecked off to the bar for half an hour!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bambi2

My brother got married a four years ago in September, he didn't have a convential samesy wedding and had a DJ/MC. The man was brilliant - he had everyone on the floor the whole time, dressed my brother up as Elvis and had him sing/mime to his bride. It was a great wedding!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A friend of mine attended a wedding where they had an Ipod playing. They were looking forward to it as it was different. They had a great time. They did say though that the sound quality of the speakers was slightly inferior, but I think thats because they were non-DJ type speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

sweetie wrote: »
    The key to a good disco only wedding is a dj who is confident on the mic and with previous experience of a few full weddings and a good variety of music across different genres. An average dj can pull off an after band set if the band have done a good job but it is more difficult for a dj to create atmosphere on his own and one should expect to pay a decent fee to acheive this. One of the things I personally enjoy from a full wedding is the opportunity to play more of the clients playlist and I also get to choose more of the songs I would feel complement their choices.

Agreed with this.

If you get a great DJ a crowd wont miss a live band, if you get a bad or even average DJ you'll never hear the end of it. so to speak.

Full night Djing is great as you get to sit down and really probe the couple for music rather just hearing "just get the crowd up". It really helps, rather then finishing at 2am and the groom comes over at 1:58am and asks for resurrection by the stone roses at nearly 9 minutes long. (which you dont mind playing but youd rather not have the hotel manager tapping his watch at you at 2:01am which can happen)

As for the price, I think 450-600 is the goin rate for a pro full night DJ dep on location and times, premeal may be a bit more.

I play in a band and DJ and have been to weddings and Listened to the same jive bunny backing track for 60s, 70s and 80s hits for an hour and its really awful for me, but the crowd was up for the duration so what can you say?

anyway, havent been on in a while due to other circumstances...welcome back me...woohoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Getting married next year and have decided to go with a DJ, as other posters have said, I too am not fussed about having a wedding band.
    Firstly they seem to be a bit hit and miss, some can be great some terrible and for they money they are asking you to part with it seems a bit excessive.

It's a fairly young wedding anyway so I don't think a live band would be missed, and since were going to have a DJ only I don't mind forking out for a professional. Will need to start doing my homework now though!

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Getting married next year and have decided to go with a DJ, as other posters have said, I too am not fussed about having a wedding band.
    Firstly they seem to be a bit hit and miss, some can be great some terrible and for they money they are asking you to part with it seems a bit excessive.

It's a fairly young wedding anyway so I don't think a live band would be missed, and since were going to have a DJ only I don't mind forking out for a professional. Will need to start doing my homework now though!

Some /blanketyblank/ can be terrible and not worth any money, some can be great and be worth every penny. Some can be ok leaving you question whatever they charged.

replace blankeyblank with Bands/Djs/Photographers/videographers/Dressmakers/Hotels/Restaraunts/Florists......etc, etc, etc

Nothing wrong at all with an all night Dj if he's good and you are right to spend on it after doing your homework, but I'll take a guess you havent seen a band that tailors for a young crowd as you seem to have a preconcept that a young crowd dont like bands.

Young crowds will be up more than an old crowd if the band are right. Young crowds wont get up if the DJ is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think it's horses for courses really.

I've noticed a lot of those pro DJ only are from Dublin. That's just an observation.

Perhaps a more country type wedding with country bumpkins might appreciate a bit of live music over a DJ, then again they may not.

I suppose you just have to know what you and your guests like yourselves and go with that.

I wouldn't go ruling a band or a DJ in or out on price only. You get what you pay for. It may be a good idea to divert wedding funds from elsewhere to the budget for the entertainmant. It's just such a crucial thing to get right after the food etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Was at a wedding a few years ago, where the DJ played Daniel O'Donnell style music all night. Wouldn't mind only there were only about 3 couples there over 60. Floor was empty all night except for said couples doing 1 or 2 waltzes at 8.30 and then off to bed with them.

The only break was some "comedy" act where this supposedly drunk punter took the piss out of the wedding guests. Painful.

At about 12:30 they played some more slightly "modern" tracks - don't remember what they were, but the floor was full as everyone was so bored before that. A disaster of a wedding.

Muckit wrote: »

I've noticed a lot of those pro DJ only are from Dublin. That's just an observation.

Its maths. Most of the countrys population live in dublin and even if theyre having a wedding down the country they may have hired from Dublin.

Doesnt matter where he's from though, homework is key, no problem a Dj sticking on a couple of songs for an older part of the audience, but if it aint working, hes gotta be able to change it. Reading the floor and being able to react to it is the mark of a good Dj and band. Good ones dont have a problem doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We only had a DJ for our wedding in CORK!!! :D

Being from London, this is the norm. And we certainly weren't going to pay 2k plus for a mediocre band. Having said that, the last wedding we went to, the band were pretty good. Think they came from Galway...

As one half of a mixed race couple I think the DJ found it hard to gauge the reception (I'd asked for 80's disco/soul/pop). He played a few waltzes for the oldies, then mixed it up nicely, although the floor was never packed. He was fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Muckit wrote: »

Perhaps a more country type wedding with country bumpkins might appreciate a bit of live music over a DJ, then again they may not.

I suppose you just have to know what you and your guests like yourselves and go with that.

I wouldn't go ruling a band or a DJ in or out on price only. You get what you pay for. It may be a good idea to divert wedding funds from elsewhere to the budget for the entertainmant. It's just such a crucial thing to get right after the food etc...

not always true, not everything that is expensive is the best - some people have talent and dont know their value or care about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I listen to bands and DJ's week in-week out and a good band is better than a good DJ, but a mediocre band is worst than a mediocre DJ.
    There's no right answer to this, it all depends on the crowd going to the wedding, not the bride and groom. The Bride and Groom are thinking about their friends and forgetting that of a wedding of (example) 100 people, friends of a similar age make up 40%, but Aunties and Uncles, grannies etc make up the other 60%.
    Maybe its because i'm from a rural area, but the majority of DJ only weddings i've worked at have been a disaster.

Its maths. Most of the countrys population live in dublin

Nit picking i know, but the vast majority of people in Ireland dont live in Dublin.

a good band is better than a good DJ, but a mediocre band is worst than a mediocre DJ.
    Perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

We only had a DJ for our wedding in CORK!!! :D

Being from London, this is the norm. And we certainly weren't going to pay 2k plus for a mediocre band. Having said that, the last wedding we went to, the band were pretty good. Think they came from Galway...

As one half of a mixed race couple I think the DJ found it hard to gauge the reception (I'd asked for 80's disco/soul/pop). He played a few waltzes for the oldies, then mixed it up nicely, although the floor was never packed. He was fine though.

we also had a Dj only wedding in Cork, and he was brilliant, he played Abba and Neil Diamond for the older generations, and mixed in 80's with todays music for us young uns and our parents, (my relatives are big into the 80's music as am i) where the newer songs had the younger crowd out dancing, along with some older ones.

the floor was full everytime we looked at it, (bar once when a conga line ended up going outside and around back into the room) :D

yes we did rock the boat :o but everyone joined in and loved it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I was at a small wedding before where instead of a band they had a one man act. I thought he was going to be terrible but he was actually excellent. Dance floor was full all night, catered for everyone and the crowd managed to get him to play on longer then he was supposed to. Full of jokes etc. He was from bandon apparently but dont know anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Balmed Out wrote: »
    He was from bandon apparently but dont know anything else.

Graham Norton??

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

As a dj I find some of my best nights are full weddings. I'm more familiar with the couple due to meeting them and gauging their tastes and their guests tastes. I can cover a wider spread of music during the night aswell as playing the couple's requests and those of the guests (those that are appropriate anyway) and i'm not restricted to leaving out songs that a band might have played in their set. I can build my set better rather than chopping and changing that can sometimes happen at an afters with demanding clients and I'm not under pressure to have everyone up dancing constantly as not every guest will dance to eg. rolling stones, stevie wonder, communards, take that, arcade fire, hot chip, rihanna whereas at a wedding afters it can be expected to keep the floor heaving constantly!

Advertisement