Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom free upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Just checked my eircom usage thingy there and it says my total product allowance for this month is unlimited. I was on 30mb a month :confused:

Have they changed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Just checked my eircom usage thingy there and it says my total product allowance for this month is unlimited. I was on 30mb a month :confused:

Have they changed it?

Yup. Ngb regular and advanced are now "unlimited" (read somewhere that unlimited is 250gbs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Yup. Ngb regular and advanced are now "unlimited" (read somewhere that unlimited is 250gbs).

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

I rang Eircom's 1901 customer service yesterday, they stated the upgrade (up to 15mB in my case) should happen by mid-june, so have to wait then up to 2-3 weeks to get it activated...upgrade letter received on 3rd of May:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Just got my speed increase in Swords today.

Current stats:

statskk.jpg

Minor drop in attenuation. SNR has gone down significantly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

your line can take more speed, you have 2.5db to play with

ring support up and ask them to raise ur profile to the next level and see can u keep it stable without drops, i think you will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

BOZG wrote: »
    Just got my speed increase in Swords today.

Current stats:

statskk.jpg

Minor drop in attenuation. SNR has gone down significantly enough.

Did you have to ring up or where you automatically changed over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Got mine yesterday too. Syncing close to 13Mb! SN margin is borderline though, but I won't complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

TT09 wrote: »
    Did you have to ring up or where you automatically changed over ?

Automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can confirm Bray has been upgraded. I just looged into the router to check if I had the correct firmware for adsl2 when I noticed the thing was synced at 17.1 mbits. That answers that :D

However, I was hoping for 20mbit plus. I was sure my downstream figures were 16 attenuation and 13db snr pre-upgrade. Now they are 19db attenuation and 6/7db snr with crc errors at 22

I knew I'd probably be put on a lower profile and have to phone them to bump me up to a 20mbit plus profile but now that my attenuation and SNR figures have changed so much it doesn't look like thats possible now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

yep thats the max your gonna get, going up to 19 is a bridge to far and your connection would drop....a lot :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

I Got updated today, I'm in Enniscorthy,

Speed
    17405/765 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 16/9 dB

do ya think this would update over the comin months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

akenny01 wrote: »
    I Got updated today, I'm in Enniscorthy,

Speed
    17405/765 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 16/9 dB

do ya think this would update over the comin months ?

Your sound margin is the important number with regards to max speed, whats the SNR?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I notice that the usage allowance on the 8mb offer is now only 10GB a month. I thought this used to be 30GB. The equivalent Vodafone limit is 40GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

Your sound margin is the important number with regards to max speed, whats the SNR?

SN Margin (dB)

Downstream
    Upstream

I think its might be after changin a fair bit? I cant remember what it use to be though

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Ok lads, could do with some help please.

Been on to eircom for quite sometime now so I have finally got new modem that supports ADSL2+ and my line has been upgraded. So here goes with the questions.

1. Does eircom decide what your modem syns at or is this determined by your modem given your current line stats (e.g. Attenuation and SNR)?

2. The master socket (NTU) that I have is ancient (telecom eireann style), the physical contacts it uses are rubbish so I have replaced it with a cheap indoor socket point. Is eircom required to replace the NTU with something modern if the last one is a piece of junk?

3. This links back to the second question. I have found that my SNR and Attenuation depend a lot on the quality of the contacts at the master socket. My current SNR is 8-9db with attenuation 18db but I have temporarily gotten it as good as SNR of 11db and attenuation 17db. Would a decent socket point such as modern one supplied by eircom help me keep good line stats?

4. The speeds I am getting now are 1.7-1.8 mb/s from ftp://ftp.esat.net/. Most pages seem to be loading fine but facebook as gone back to 56k mode. Is this in anyway related.

Just for info

line sync speed: 17404 kbps /765 kbps
    Attenuation : 18db/8db
    SNR: 9db/17db

Only getting some FEC errors atm but tend to get some CRC and HEC errors if SNR drops down to 6-7db which it has at some points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

SNR will mainly fluctuate due to local interference effects and the number of people using their DSL connection in the area (if they are served by the same bundle of cables as you are). A fluctuation of 2 or 3dB is relatively normal. The condition of the wire itself is just as important as any contacts/sockets etc.

A faceplate for the NTU which has the filter built in would help speeds or stability to a small degree(but you'd have to use the modem at that socket as it filters any extension wires/sockets)

I don't think you're supposed to touch the NTU as it's part of eircom's network but I doubt a linesman would care so long as it doesn't make things worse.

The older netopia 2247-NWG can take ADSL2+ with a firmware upgrade. (Not the 3347 though) It could work better than the new Zyxel ones, seeing as the Zyxel routers suck in many regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Well this might seem a bit odd but I got out the old Netopia 3347-NWG modem and gave it an ol' update to the latest version 7.8. Now it handles ADSL2+ and it has improved my line ratings considerably.

They are now attenuation 17.10db/7.5db and SNR 11.5db/18.9db. Chuffed now.

I was sorely tempted to put the 3347 bit with IIRC beside it or a question mark as I've actually no experience with it! I'm very suprised, it's a much older model and I think it was in use since before ADSL2+ was finally standardised by the ITU.

Aren't those stats only as good as what you've enjoyed before? You'll need to give it a bit of time to see if there is any improvement.

So long as the line is experiencing no disconnects, this is all academic. Any errors are easily dealt with within DSL using error correction or simply retransmitting data. The retransmission is instantaneous and each block of data sent is only a tiny fraction of overall throughput so unless you were getting several thousand CRC errors per hour you shouldn't notice it. I noticed no changes in internet use when there was a lightning storm here the other day. (500 new CRC errors after 10 minutes)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Im on the 7mb package at the moment and as far as I know, Im due to be upgraded to the NGB 24mb package soon. The past couple of days Ive been rebooting my modem/router (Netopia 2247-62) and logging the connection results. Here they are:
    June 10 SYNC      ATTN DN   SNR DN   ATTN UP  SNR UP  MOD   DATA PATH

18:20   7168/384  22.50     11.80    11.50    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    19:15   7168/384  22.50     12.00    12.00    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    19:46   7168/384  23.00     12.30    11.50    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    22:21   7168/384  23.00     11.80    11.50    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    22:35   7168/384  23.00     12.10    11.50    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE

June 11 SYNC      ATTN DN   SNR DN   ATTN UP  SNR UP  MOD   DATA PATH

11:00   7168/384  23.00     11.70    11.50    19.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    13:15   7168/384  22.50     11.90    12.00    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    18:25   7168/384  23.00     12.10    11.50    19.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    19:09   7168/384  23.00     11.90    11.50    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    21:00   7168/384  23.00     12.10    11.50    21.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    22:50   7168/384  23.00     12.00    11.50    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE
    23:50   7168/384  23.00     12.10    11.50    20.00   DMT   INTERLEAVE

Would I be right in expecting a speed of around 18/19mb after the upgrade?

• Advertisement

Nah, I'd say you'd get around the 17mbps mark from what I've seen posted here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Id be happy with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Can I ask someone who got upgraded, what are you paying pm and what do you get. I'm out of contract with Vodafone and am interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I was upgraded about a week ago, and my broadbands been all over the place since.

At least once per hour, I'm getting an error from the Router saying the DSL is down, when I open the 192.168.1.254 start page, it tells me:

eircom broadband: Disconnected
    DSL Mode: Down

After about a minute it changes to:

eircom broadband: Disconnected
    DSL Mode: Initializing

But then it just goes back to saying "Down" and wont reconnect for at least five minutes (It was down for about 7 hours the other day though).

Whenever the internet actually does work, the router gives different stats on speed. It fluctuates between:

Speed: 7168 kbps /512 kbps
    Speed: 11621 kbps /670 kbps
    Speed: 8192 kbps /512 kbps

The DSL Mode also keeps changing between ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+

I originally signed up for 8Mb, so I dont really mind whether or not I get the full 24Mb upgrade, but I don't get why the connection keeps going to 7Mb.

We got a new Zylex router in the post today (The exact same one I already have), I swapped it with the old one hoping it might help, but it hasnt.

Has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tungsten Tide

How do i get a free upgrade? What package do i need to be on?

DjFlin, your issue seems very peculiar particularly when you say the modem fluctuates between the 3 different types of ADSL.

I suggest you post that again in the Talk to:eircom forum here and see what they can do for you.

Before the changeover, what broadband speeds did you get? Also, what's the line attenuation currently?

The guys over at the talk to eircom forum should help you out anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

DjFlin, your issue seems very peculiar particularly when you say the modem fluctuates between the 3 different types of ADSL.

I suggest you post that again in the Talk to:eircom forum here and see what they can do for you.

Before the changeover, what broadband speeds did you get? Also, what's the line attenuation currently?

The guys over at the talk to eircom forum should help you out anyhow.

Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 35 dB /17 dB

Thats the speed and Attenuation as of right now. First time I've seen the speed that high.

Before the change I was on 8Mb and the router always said 8192 kbps /512 kbps.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Láidir

i regret not researching this first. this zyxel is a piece of junk. the wi-fi signal is crap and it constantly disconnects. the sooner upc comes to my area the better.

Advertisement