Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping bag liners

Options
  • 15-05-2011 10:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I've no experience of sleeping bag liners and am less certain after searching online. Heading to the Western side of the US for camping/outdoor trip soon. Will be taking a 3 season sleeping bag. Any pointers would be welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Sleeping bag liners have a few uses,

on there own there hand to sleep in if the bed its self is not so clean,

they are easer to clean then a sleeping bag so useing them inside the bag
    can be a good idia but personly i never use them for that.

you can get a sort of thermal fleece ones that add a extra layer if you sleeping bag is not so good and its cold

It its very warm you can use them instead of a sleeping bag or as i kinda said about you could also just use it as a extra layer in your sleeping bag

there are 2 typs of your standered type of liner silk and cotton, silk is more expensice personly i just use cotton it dose the job fine i think

then there is 2 shaps you can get
    1 is the sort of shape you sleeping bag is
    2. its sort of square type its bigger gives you more room if you useing it just on its own out side of a sleeping bag

then there is the hood on it, you deffo want this if you getting one, you can stick like a pellow in to it or a jummper and it acts like a pellow case sort of thing that is attached to the liner.

Then some come treated with spreys that will keep away some bed bugs and all that sort of thing! Lifeventure call it the EX³

all the types can be found here - http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/index.php?cPath=238_387_600&osCsid=b72aa91060a1c40e3070d0d4862016a3

if you want to know something more about one of em just ask!

also as a other pointer have a look at mats for under the sleeping bag, i would also suggest a survival bag (orange bags) and what you do is put it first under your sleeping mat and then the mat then the sleeping bag, as this will stop any water soaking up into you mat a sleeping bag

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Appreciate that. :) Aye, I have a survival bag and will be using a Therm-a-rest Neoair.

That's what I mainly not sure about: fleece/silk/cotton... a hood sounds useful.

Ah ok ya id say just stick with a cotton type if you need one, dont know what sort of weather you will have but if its warm you can just sleep in that cotton liner and if its cold it will add a extra layer to the bag!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not expecting it to be all that warm, tbh. Temps around 7-20C during the day, but am talking that with a grain of salt. Apparently, we're to expect it to get cold enough at night.

well your sleeping bag if its not to old should keep you ok down to around 1/0 to 5c id say if it was say 10c day time that could get cold enough at night, id say get a fleece liner then, and if it dose get cold enough you know you have it in the bag as a extra layer, if its not needed well its no weight really to carry,
    Also it will depend on how many u have in the tent for example 3 man tent on your own will be cold to start off put 3 poeple in it and its allready alot warmer so theres lots of things you need to think about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Therm-a-rest Neoair.

Just to say if you have't tried sleeping on one of those before the trip, try it and home, they are quite noisy.

Knew a fella bough one before a trip and could't stand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Corky2000

Hi,

Back in my scouting days, I got my mum to sew up an old bedsheet in the shape of a sleeping bag. Extra layer of warmth, no smelly foot part and simple to clean. Best of all - absolutely free.:D

maglite wrote: »
    Just to say if you have't tried sleeping on one of those before the trip, try it and home, they are quite noisy.

Knew a fella bough one before a trip and could't stand it.

Yeah, I kinda got that impression from the look of it. Ah well, you're bound to have some piece of gear that's noisy, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Just back from Norway, where we had temps down to -5
    I have a slik liner and contrary to what you'd think the silk is warmer than the cotton and the fleece, hence the expense (it's not quite the same grade as expensive silk dresses). The major benefit is the weight and size (when packed) 130g versus 400g, that's the difference of bringing another big jumper or something else.

Also 3 out of 5 of us on the trip had the Neoair, I can say it's probably the best thing I have in my kit, feels like a bed and makes a huge difference to warmth.

Hmm, I hadn't considered the weight of the liner, oops. Amazon have dispatched the fleece one now and I can see the weight difference you're referring too. Might try to return it and change it for the silk.

• Advertisement

Hmm, I hadn't considered the weight of the liner, oops. Amazon have dispatched the fleece one now and I can see the weight difference you're referring too. Might try to return it and change it for the silk.

I have to say ive used silk ones and for the price and all things considerd i think fleece will be your best bet!
    Ya silk is good as is not so heavy and all that - i did not find as "hick" is sayign that silk was as warm as a fleeceone , but then maby there is diff types im not sure!
    i just know from exp. i find the silk types slippery in side the bag and more breathable then say cotton types or even fleece - more breathable means not as warm is my thinking behind it!

that's the point of it, more breathable causes an air barrier, its the air barrier that causes insulation, in the same way a string vest works :D. As with all these things it's down to personal choice, all I can say is I've had both and my cotton liner hasn't got a look in since I got my silk one.

hick wrote: »
    that's the point of it, more breathable causes an air barrier, its the air barrier that causes insulation, in the same way a string vest works :D. As with all these things it's down to personal choice, all I can say is I've had both and my cotton liner hasn't got a look in since I got my silk one.

Ya but insulation traps air! any type of lair is going to be insulation but something like a fleece has to be warmer! as it will trap more air! I under stand the science behind it but also see where you coming from too! But all liners add some extra Cs but silk is expnise not cos its the warmest but cos its expensice material and is pop as its light.
    fleece is synthetic cheaper but and this is the important part its thickness and weight - its going to be warmer then silk,

even just look at a normal synthetic fleece the small mico ones are never as warm as the thicker type they just cant be due to there make up, where talking about the same thing but with silk! its going to add warmeth but just not going to add as much as if its a fleece linded liner!

indeed a thick fleece liner can be warmer and in some case but it comes at a cost, firstly unlike cotton and silk fleece is not good at wicking moisture away from your skin, meaning you can get damp from your own body moisture or sweat if you get too warm, this can be counter productive. And then there's the weight, if you are into backpacking, weight becomes a factor very quickly and given the average fleece liner comes in over 600g that's a high price to pay. At the end of the day it's what ever floats your boat, just beware of all the factors.

hick wrote: »
    indeed a thick fleece liner can be warmer and in some case but it comes at a cost, firstly unlike cotton and silk fleece is not good at wicking moisture away from your skin, meaning you can get damp from your own body moisture or sweat if you get too warm, this can be counter productive. And then there's the weight, if you are into backpacking, weight becomes a factor very quickly and given the average fleece liner comes in over 600g that's a high price to pay. At the end of the day it's what ever floats your boat, just beware of all the factors.

Good points i do agree with you there,

Well OP seen that you order yours its up to you, hope our extra posts help you make up you mind!

For what its worth personly id keep the one you have - but if weight is a factor then hick makes a good point about looking to go with a silk one - tho you will lose a few extra Cs of heat

Looks like it will boil down to heat VS Weight!

Thanks. :)

Weight is mostly a concern re the airlines, I think. I won't really be lugging the main gear from A-B all that much, though I won't really I know until get there. I can't see myself having a rucksack that weighs 20kg so I should be alright for the plane. Although, now that I think about it, start with the basics, sleeping bag, liner, rain gear, thermarest, hiking boots, that's a good bit of weight gone before you throw anything else in there.

The fleece liner arrived today, quite large alright.

don't pack the boots, wear them on the plane, will save ye a kilo, throw a pair of light shoe's/runners into the pack instead, something like converse.

Yeah, was thinking that. Not fun for the security points, but what the heck.

Looks like Neoair is now out of stock with the seller on amazon. Any suggestions if it doesn't work out? Order was placed on the 15th.

Got mine here, worked out cheaper than amazon at the time

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product424.asp?PageID=37

• Advertisement

Thanks. They are closed until the end of the month. Do you think it would get here before June 11th if I ordered?

would probably be fine, they shipping was really quick last time I used them, but thats not to say there might be a backlog, try these guys, slightly more, but still cheaper than amazon :D

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/thermarest_neo_air.html

Well, I've taken the rucksack out of the attic now and realise that the 3 season sleeping big is huge, so it may not be a runner. Could strap it to the outside, but I'd be concerned about one of the airlines losing it. 65L bag.

Well, I've taken the rucksack out of the attic now and realise that the 3 season sleeping big is huge, so it may not be a runner. Could strap it to the outside, but I'd be concerned about one of the airlines losing it. 65L bag.
    you could try useing a compression sack to make it smaller and would save you buying a new sleeping bag!

Would that make much of a difference compared to the sack it already has? It has straps for tightening, etc.

Have a 2 season bag lying around the place somewhere, so may just go for it instead.

Would that make much of a difference compared to the sack it already has? It has straps for tightening, etc.

Have a 2 season bag lying around the place somewhere, so may just go for it instead.
    well if you have straps on it and its not going any smaller prob best to go with a diff one then, the 2 season wont be as warm tho but the liner you got should help out alot there to make up for the loss!

could always strap it on the outside and get a 90L bag cover, will also save the hassle at the checkin desk of tying up all the straps

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Large-RUCKSACK-COVER-waterproof-backpack-travel-65-90L-/330568812119?pt=UK_SportingGoods_BackpacksRucksacks_Bags_EH&hash=item4cf76fc657#ht_2179wt_905

might get a new one myself :D

Back from holidays. My luggage was AWOL for around 48 hours, thankfully it turned up in tact, though I still reckon a sleeping bag strapped to the outside may have vanished.

As for the fleece liner, not all that sure I got much benefit from it, though I was never really cold or woke up feeling cold. Thermal legs probably helped there, though. Next time I'd probably take a larger sleeping bag. Guy on the trip had quite a large one and paid the 50+ GBP to bring it as carry on luggage, then donated for use by future treks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

How hard is it to clean a sleeping bag anyway and how often do they usually need to be cleaned?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Needler wrote: »
    How hard is it to clean a sleeping bag anyway and how often do they usually need to be cleaned?

It's best never to wash your sleeping bag, just wipe it down with a damn cloth. Shoving it in a washing machine is a good way to ruin the loft.

Advertisement