Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I welcome the Aliens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Is there other intelligent life out there, past or present? Almost certainly yes.
    Have they visited us? Almost certainly no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Nevore wrote: »
    Is there other intelligent life out there, past or present? Almost certainly yes.
    Have they visited us? Almost certainly no.

why do you say no, like what are you basing that on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Aliens landed in Ireland last Novemeber.

They called themselves the IMF and they came from a land far,far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Lone Stone wrote: »
    why do you say no, like what are you basing that on ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0PWOJkWgcM

That'll explain it to you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0PWOJkWgcM

That'll explain it to you there.

can't beat carl sagan for cutting through the bulls**t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Kojak wrote: »
    Aliens landed in Ireland last Novemeber.

They called themselves the IMF and they came from a land far,far away.

That would explain the anal probe we got last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

You're confusing anal there with annual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

staker wrote: »
    You're confusing anal there with annual

Ahhhh !
    That's why my girlfriend said "no" to annual sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

There has to be other life out there, we cant be the only living thing out there. the universe is too vast for that.

And i really think there has been contact, just us normal people dont get to hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

TheUsual wrote: »
    Ahhhh !
    That's why my girlfriend said "no" to annual sex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ESgHRI5HI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Lone Stone wrote: »
    sure the former canadian minister of defence accused the american goverment of having a war in space with aliens ffs. paul hellier is his name i think :eek:
    He must be a Stargate fan.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

wonder are they good for a loan? maybe we could get rid of the surplus housing...

of course that is worth 1 million credits....do i look like i would lie...and you see those broken windows and no sewerage....thats extra...and its totally normal to be in a housing estate just by yourself, thats also extra....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

They tried to settle them quietly to study how we would interact with eachother.

ironically it appears they make us look more inbred. Cavan got the first batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

The probability that life exists elsewhere is very high, but the problem is with timing. The earth has only been transmitting radio waves for around 100 years. So after millions of years of evolution we are only letting ourselves be know for a tiny fraction of that time.
    So if any other civilisations are listening, how much of a coincidence would it be that they have been tuned in at the same time that we have been transmitting?

IMO, it's teeming with life out there, but timing and distances mean that it's unlikely that we will ever make contact.

But I'd love to be wrong in my lifetime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

syklops wrote:
    IMO there are definitely other races out there.
    :confused:

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There is other life out there. But we will never make contact - meaning exchange within a decade a message of sorts. The distances involved are just too damn far.

Nearest star other than the sun is 4.3 lights years away meaning it would take a minimum of 8 and a half years to exchange a question-response.

Travel would be even longer even assuming we can make the fastest theoretically possible space ship. This would take minimum 8 years I've read because we'd need to accelerate for ages at a physically survivable rate, then decelerate the same length of time at the same rate (this rate could simulate a gravity on-board the ship). So in all, for us (as humans on Earth) to know if we discovered life near a star it would take minimum 12 years to relay the success message from the astronauts.

The most efficient currently known energy conversion mechanism (matter - antimatter collision releasing pure energy/mass annihilation) to power this ship would take something like almost the entire mass of the Earth!

So while probable that there is life out there, and quite probable also that we will discover that there is life on some distant planet, the chance of communicating (in under a decade) with a life form is slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Yes there is life out there. And if they are advanced enough to reach us, then we better hope that they don't. Such a species would be far more advanced than ours and history shows us that when a more advanced civilisation meets a less developed one, the latter gets annihilated (i.e. like North & South America's).

Also, there is a fairly strong possibility that they would be hostile....what percentage of life on earth is predatorial?

So...we should actually stop trying to contact other species & try to remain hidden among the stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

We have already made our presence know in an area about 70 light years, and thinking about some of the things we broadcast i wouldnt blame Aliens for wiping us out....... im looking at you xfactor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes. Will they contact us? No.

Why? Because we tend to kill what we don't understand, and kill our own race over things such as our religion and colour of skin,

If your from cavan anything to help with the inbreeding problem would be welcome.

is this deja vu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

There could been a species of alien that lived for the length it took me to write this and just extinct'ed by the end of it due their evolutionary velocity and environment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

guitarzero wrote: »
    There could been a species of alien that lived for the length it took me to write this and just extinct'ed by the end of it due their evolutionary velocity and environment etc.

Maybe if you took longer to write your post, then they may have lasted long enough to go out into the universe and make contact with this planet? :confused:

It's only an idea.....

Who shot JR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I don't see why we would be the only ones. With how vast the universe is there is a very high possibility of other life forms. For all we know they could be extremely advanced and have been watched us for years. I doubt it, but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

The probability that life exists elsewhere is very high, but the problem is with timing. The earth has only been transmitting radio waves for around 100 years. So after millions of years of evolution we are only letting ourselves be know for a tiny fraction of that time.
    So if any other civilisations are listening, how much of a coincidence would it be that they have been tuned in at the same time that we have been transmitting?

IMO, it's teeming with life out there, but timing and distances mean that it's unlikely that we will ever make contact.

But I'd love to be wrong in my lifetime!

They don't need radio waves to tell if there is life on earth. They could analyse the earth's atmosphere remotely or send probes across the galaxy.
    Why would they suddenly be interested in earth when humans became technologically advanced? Earth is a lot more than the human species. Most likely, if aliens exist (which must be a 99.99999% statistical fact just going by the fact that we exist and the size of the Milky Way/Universe), is that they have visited a long time ago and continue to be aware of us. This is actually much more likely than no aliens being aware of us. Just think of how long life on earth has existed, 4 billion years and counting, thats 4,000,000,000 years. So there goes the timing problem.
    How about distance? Well distance depends on technological ability and your life span. Once the far side of the globe was impossibly distant, now you can communicate with people there almost instantaneously. In fact that is what I am doing now.
    Finally what's the idea of 'civilisation'? Why does an intelligent being have to be part of a civilisation, they could be independent life forms that continually evolve and adapt to wherever they go. Even if you assume that most intelligent living things belong to a civilisation, civilisations continually come and go all the time, but they don't die out completely, they evolve and move to new territories and split apart and join back together etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yes there is life out there. And if they are advanced enough to reach us, then we better hope that they don't. Such a species would be far more advanced than ours and history shows us that when a more advanced civilisation meets a less developed one, the latter gets annihilated (i.e. like North & South America's).

Also, there is a fairly strong possibility that they would be hostile....what percentage of life on earth is predatorial?

So...we should actually stop trying to contact other species & try to remain hidden among the stars.

How could you hide from an advanced lifeform, their technological ability is far superior. The fact is they could do what they want and would know about humans AND earth whether you were broadcasting signals or not. Just because they notice we are broadcasting signals doesn't mean they will suddenly be interested in taking over Earth, if they were interested to do that they would have done it a long time before then. There is a logical failure in the idea above.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fitzgooble

Sher who else organised the building of the pyramids, primitave humans, I think not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mccabecc

I think there are some forms of life in universe but they are to far to have any possibility to contact with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

Possibly habitable planet found a mere 20 light years away...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110516080124.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

there are numerous theories as to why intelligent life has not yet contacted us or as we no anyways, but I think maninasia puts forward the best suggestion, it is also possible that space has become like territories similar maybe to the european union or the united states and we could easily be a part of protected space maybe like a national forest where we are observed for scientific reasons but contact is prohibited as they may feel we are not advanced enough to contact.
    It may also be possible that we are just very far away from any advanced civilizations and they have not found or come near are location, for example alien races which have now got the ability to travel in space may only be at the stage similar to when europe was sending out shipping vessels to find other trade routes to India and the east, and we are in an area of space which has not been explored yet.

just a few ideas but there are countless more explanations.

Advertisement