Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I welcome the Aliens

Options
  • 14-05-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Do you think there is extraterrestrial life out there or are we the only ones, if there are do you think they know of are existence and if so why would they not get in contact. Do you think as we are now would the human race be able to handle dealing with life from outside are planet.

Is there other intelligent life in the Universe besides ourselves 167 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 167 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

IMO there are definitely other races out there. Some are so far beneath us they are just bacteria. Some are so advanced we are the bacteria. I think we will make contact eventually. Though it will basically be as a kind of intergalactic pen pal until someone figures out to traverse the vast regions of space quickly which physics currently tells us is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

Have they made contact already????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Had I know earlier I would have washed my hair ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think they are out there but the distances are so great that a civilisation just won't survive long enough to travel across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

They are from Lucan lads and not aliens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

silly to think there are no more life forms in the universe..

poll this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

yay! and there was me thinking there were no original threads left

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

barone wrote: »
    silly to think there are no more life forms in the universe..

poll this ?

done :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

That's it man, game over man, game over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

We are part of the universe

We are self aware

The universe is self aware

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Here's a good article from today on SETI scientists listening for signals on 86 of the 1235 candidate planets that the Kepler spacecraft has detected.
    A massive radio telescope, the powerful Green Bank Telescope at the very cutting edge of radio astronomy technology in rural West Virginia has begun listening for signs of alien life on 86 possible Earth-like planets, US astronomers said Friday. Selected from a list of 1,235 possible planets in the Kepler mission star field shown above -- the effort will gather 24 hours of data on each one. The mission is part of the SETI project, which stands for Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence, launched in the mid 1980s. The 17 million pound (7.7 million kilogram) telescope became operational in 2000 and is a project of the NSF's National Radio Astronomy Observator

Kepler only looks at a tiny part of space, watching the brightness of stars. When a planet passes in front of a star, the brightness dips by a tiny amount and they can work out the size of the planet, distance from its star etc.

From the numbers, they've estimated 50 billion planets in our Milky Way galaxy, 500 million of them in the habitable zone of their stars. And theres at least 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Dare you to click no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes.

syklops wrote: »
    IMO there are definitely other races out there.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

is this another thread about the royal visit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Do you think there is extraterrestrial life out there or are we the only ones, if there are do you think they know of are existence and if so why would they not get in contact. Do you think as we are now would the human race be able to handle dealing with life from outside are planet.

we would kill them, take their technology and rule the Univerise, so ya i welcome them, bring them fooking on actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Who voted no? Own up.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't intelligent life within 500 light years of us, let alone the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As V and The Event have been cancelled in the US, there will be no more aliens.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yes. But they probably think we're cunts and wont bother making contact. And they'd be right, too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

More than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The human race is still a bunch of backward savages which is the only reason we have not had an official visit yet from E.T.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

i would say so, whether its basic lifeform or as complex as life here is,is anyones guess.unless i see hard proof im remaining skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

lcrcboy wrote: »

Yes.
    Maybe.
    They have enough trouble as it is what with the worse intergalatic economic crises seen since etc.
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

dlofnep wrote: »
    Who voted no? Own up.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't intelligent life within 500 light years of us, let alone the universe.

There isnt intelligent life here,never mind within 500 LY;).Most of the planet is deluded with gods and the afterlife as well as invading others and obtaining land and materialistic items.

Intelligence is a subjective matter.

Doctors can be muppets as can politicians:pac:.Just because someone has ingested and regurgitated what they have read doesnt imply intelligence.

The time window that we have on this earth is too small to expect contact with an alien species,never mind an intelligent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

perhaps we are the alien species on this planet..., or who's to say they havent made contact etc..its just not being confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

barone wrote: »
    perhaps we are the alien species on this planet..., or who's to say they havent made contact etc..its just not being confirmed
    The "Battlestar" outlook??

I buy into that myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Tis hard enough finding intelligent life on this planet not to mind anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

No "don't know" button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

We wouldn't stand a chance! They'd kick our ass. This world is very small in the solar system I would guess there is life beyond earth,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Have they made contact already????
    they most likely have and im sure every government on this planet knows about it but they like keeping us in the dark :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

sure the former canadian minister of defence accused the american goverment of having a war in space with aliens ffs. paul hellier is his name i think :eek:

Advertisement