Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's up with this weather ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I don't mind the wind at all anymore. Long daily commutes into it help to build up the immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

There is an Irish saying for it when it happens this time of the year dont know the Irish for it is but translated to english it means the rough weather of the cuckoo and it is rough with the last 2 weeks. I enjoy a good hill but i hate the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

There is an Irish saying for it when it happens this time of the year dont know the Irish for it is but translated to english it means the rough weather of the cuckoo and it is rough with the last 2 weeks.

Is ea "scairbhín na gcuach" atá i gceist agat. Cloistear é i gCiarraí is i gCorcaigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Aimed at Aussies, but the sentiment is universal :) (NSFW!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CianRyan wrote: »
    Bloody hell, all geared up and ready to head out on the bike and the house was shuck with a crack of thunder, with that came a ****e load of hail stones.
    Pretty much decided my cycling for me for now...

I was on the way up to Sally Gap in that. Caught us at the Yellow House. After that it was fine all evening...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I was on the way up to Sally Gap in that. Caught us at the Yellow House. After that it was fine all evening...

Jaysus, say it was worse up there.
    Anywhere to take shelter or did you fight through it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Could be worse - We could be in California

CianRyan wrote: »
    Jaysus, say it was worse up there.
    Anywhere to take shelter or did you fight through it?

The hail was the last shower we saw. Ducked in under a hedge until it turned to rain then carried on. We were lucky with the wind, it had veered to west or northwest by evening so it was mainly tailwind up on top. I can see how a hail shower might be a bit of a problem up on the gap itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Sad to say it but i wimped out of a spin for the first time ever this evening. Did rain and hail all winter but wind like that just makes it too much of a chore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Sad to say it but i wimped out of a spin for the first time ever this evening. Did rain and hail all winter but wind like that just makes it too much of a chore.

a wise decision ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

blinkin windy up here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Aye, was out for 30k around Greystones, bloody windy.

Had a good spin into work this morning. Teamed up with another lad on the Clontarf cycle path and we managed a 30-32kph pace into the teeth of the wind. I doubt I'd have managed 25kph solo...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Had a good spin into work this morning. Teamed up with another lad on the Clontarf cycle path and we managed a 30-32kph pace into the teeth of the wind. I doubt I'd have managed 25kph solo...

Got a puncture there this morning. 2nd spin in a row to get a puncture, and it happened in the same place. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

According to all scources, the streets the place to go, cos tonight for the first time.................................only joking, but joking aside, any one else hear that we are supposed to be in for a scorcher over the next 2 months, temps of up to 30 C :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

I haven't been out on the bike in a week. Managed 30km's today. The wind was not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm holding out for a good summer!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

xz wrote: »
    any one else hear that we are supposed to be in for a scorcher over the next 2 months, temps of up to 30 C :rolleyes:

What good is that? Then it will be too warm.
    We'll be reduced to cycling in the shade.:mad:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Hermy wrote: »
    What good is that? Then it will be too warm.
    We'll be reduced to cycling in the shade.:mad:

Never said it would be good, it will just give us another weather condition to moan about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

i dont find the head wind as bad as the gusts of wind that hit you on the side out of know where they have been so stong last few days/weeks etc that a few times ive seen and myself as well never been blown off the bike and under a car not fun at all, really hope it gets better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Give me hail, snow, rain, frost or heat any day over the dreaded WIND! :)

• Advertisement

Whitehawk wrote: »
    i dont find the head wind as bad as the gusts of wind that hit you on the side out of know where they have been so stong last few days/weeks etc that a few times ive seen and myself as well never been blown off the bike and under a car not fun at all, really hope it gets better soon!

I left the bike at home a couple of times this week for that very reason. Headwinds I can live with, but gusting crosswinds I can do without. They be scary..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

No, please, not the snow!!! Anything but the havoc of the snow.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

we need somesort of wind blocker for bikes!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

bike-rain-roof1.jpg

Keeps off the rain, but would probably work against wind too

corblimey wrote: »
    bike-rain-roof1.jpg

Keeps off the rain, but would probably work against wind too

A good crosswind and you'd be paragliding :)

first dry roads i ages on the cyle in this morn, but cold 7 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

One of the nicest cycles into work in the last month! The wind has died down a good bit and the sun even made an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

RT66 wrote: »
    A good crosswind and you'd be paragliding :)

while looking like a twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Was anyone up around Kippure/Sally Gap today. I've never fought off something like that wind before. I joined up with another cyclist just after Sally Gap going towards Laragh and we had to pedal and fight our way down the first descent after Sally, only managing 19kmh. Nearly eneded up in the ditch twice.

• Advertisement

Was anyone up around Kippure/Sally Gap today. I've never fought off something like that wind before. I joined up with another cyclist just after Sally Gap going towards Laragh and we had to pedal and fight our way down the first descent after Sally, only managing 19kmh. Nearly eneded up in the ditch twice.

only twice, i gave up after 20km and headed for home through the hedgerows to keep me out of the ditch

Advertisement