Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any weather predictions for this summer please?

Options
  • 11-05-2011 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I dont think I can handle another washout
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

MT's summer forcast

Summer outlook -- In general, expect a reasonably warm and dry to near normal summer (this would apply to the months June to September, and also to "astronomical summer" 21 June to 21 Sept). There will be intervals of very warm, dry weather at times, separated by periods that are close to normal in temperature with more frequent rainfall. It is not expected to become oppressively warm or hot for long periods, but there could be a few hot days. The trend from June to August is likely to be a drying trend. Now, as the current conditions are quite dry in the north especially, what this means is that May will bring somewhat more normal rainfalls and so will June, so this current drought should ease although not likely totally erased. Then a somewhat drier trend will return, and this applies to north and south. This dry trend is likely to continue into September.

For those who would like numbers more than words, this prediction would expect June to be about 0.5 to 1.0 C deg above average with near normal rainfall; July about zero to 0.5 C deg above average with 80-100% of normal rainfall, and August about 0.7 to 1.4 C deg above average with 60-80% of normal rainfall. This August trend should be continued in September.

This appears likely to be another rather active tropical storm season in the North Atlantic so there is likely a higher than random chance of a brush with one remnant storm system most likely in September or October.

While these comments are meant to be quite general, local storms can always develop within this pattern and be quite notable for small areas. The pattern I foresee for this summer is not particularly "potent" for severe storm development but a long-range forecast really cannot hope to predict that sort of detail months in advance.

Although I don't expect a major heat wave like that experienced in August 2003 or July 2006, this summer does show a little higher than average on a heat wave index from analogues, so I would not want to rule out that chance, but would rate it as about one in five (random might be more like one in ten).

I will probably post this summer outlook in a separate thread later today, so would ask if people might address comments or questions to that thread rather than to this daily forecast thread. Thanks. I may try to give some details in that thread not mentioned in this outlook forecast, from my research.

edit:also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056256567

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Rain and sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No sign of summer for the next 10 days at least looking at the latest outputs:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭pauldry

Generally a wet May aint a bad sign. Cud mean heat in July or August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

pauldry wrote: »
    Generally a wet May aint a bad sign. Cud mean heat in July or August.

Hopefully there is something in that. For the past 3/4 years we have had good April/May weather, then fairly bad summers, though i guess last summer was fairly average rather than bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I dont think I can handle another washout

Not looking good right now..thunderstorm in ranelagh.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I read a post over the weekend where someone asserted that a heatwave is on the way from the middle of this week for four weeks. Can't remember where I saw the post, probably AH. Is there any foundation for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I read a post over the weekend where someone asserted that a heatwave is on the way from the middle of this week for four weeks. Can't remember where I saw the post, probably AH. Is there any foundation for this?

From Met.ie:

OUTLOOK: Rather unsettled and breezy, with showers, mainly affecting the western half of the country. TUESDAY NIGHT: Mostly cloudy and breezy, with outbreaks of rain moving down southwards across the country. Lowest temperatures 8 to 11 degrees, with fresh and gusty westerly winds. WEDNESDAY: A cool, blustery day, with a mix of sunshine and widespread showers. Some of the showers will be heavy and possibly thundery across Connacht, Ulster and west Munster, though parts of the southeast will stay largely dry. Highest temperatures of 11 to 14 degrees, in a fresh to strong and gusty westerly wind, moderating later in the evening. THURSDAY: Not quite as breezy, but nonetheless winds will increase fresh southwesterly. The day will bring a mix of sunny spells and showers, mainly affecting the western half of the country, with some eastern counties escaping dry. Again afternoon maxima will reach no more than 12 to 14 or possibly 15 degrees, highest in the east. FRIDAY: Rather cloudy and breezy, with rain or drizzle from time to time, occasionally turning heavy in the northwest. Not quite as cool, with temperatures rising to between 12 and 17 degrees, mildest over south Munster and south Leinster, where there will be some sunny breaks.

TL;DR: No.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Has anyone any for the June Bank holiday weekend? I missed the last two due to illness. sniff ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Confab wrote: »
    No.

:(:(:(

• Advertisement

June Bank Holiday signals some thundery actvity to the south and west but also some dry sunny weather so uncertain until closer to the event

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

UK - Daily Mail
    Two-week heatwave on its way as forecasters predict hottest May in 350 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387492/UK-weather-2-week-heatwave-forecasters-predict-hottest-May-350-years.html

BBQ summer indeed......

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

My grandad predicts the weather correctly every single year, he is usually spot on a few weeks in advance but sadly he passed away last September!
    I am getting married this summer, and would only love for him to have put me straight on the weather, I don't want to have to rely on stupid met eireann!
    Every day is the same, Rain with possible dry spells, or the opposite! :mad::mad::mad:
    HOPEFULLY, we will have a dry summer, I'd take that even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

She Devil wrote: »
    My grandad predicts the weather correctly every single year, he is usually spot on a few weeks in advance but sadly he passed away last September!
    I am getting married this summer, and would only love for him to have put me straight on the weather, I don't want to have to rely on stupid met eireann!
    Every day is the same, Rain with possible dry spells, or the opposite! :mad::mad::mad:
    HOPEFULLY, we will have a dry summer, I'd take that even!
    It's not met eireann's fault if the weather doesn't suit you, in fairness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yeah fear that warm Summer here will be becoz of drizzly nights. I know MT is the word but I dont see any good dry hot weather till mid June now. theres a High planted in the Atlantic pulling Northewestlies over us for the next month but it stops at Europe so theyr gettin heat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its turning out to be a pretty poor May with near wall to wall blustery cool weather and the outlook is not much better - indeed the early days of next week look like something out of late-autumn with gales and heavy rain for most:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its turning out to be a pretty poor May with near wall to wall blustery cool weather and the outlook is not much better - indeed the early days of next week look like something out of late-autumn with gales and heavy rain for most:(

It's pretty depressing. Not even getting the benefit of the longer evenings as it's overcast most of the time.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Vey depressing, Im completely fed up with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

another depressing morning in north county dublin...... i really hope it changes soon, but i'm outta here for three weeks on tuesday anyway. hopefully it will be more summer-like when i return!
    feels wrong to be wearing jumpers & jackets so close to june. the air was so damp yesterday evening, it felt like winter! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

It's Ireland ffs .... If you want a proper summer move to central Spain

And when it comes to all the summer predictions ..... Predicting 3 days ahead seems difficult enough .... MT is putting his "warmer" spell forward every morning ... and yeah at a certain point he would be right

And then with ME incompetence to provide a good forecast and keep it updated regularly instead of twice a day ( people having to go to UK and Norwegian websites to get at least some decent info) or figure it out themselves.

rant over :o :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its actually chilly! The bad news is that there is no improvement in sight - great fecking high pressure to the left and to the right but we're stuck with the jet-stream bringing crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

weisses wrote: »
    It's Ireland ffs .... If you want a proper summer move to central Spain

And when it comes to all the summer predictions ..... Predicting 3 days ahead seems difficult enough .... MT is putting his "warmer" spell forward every morning ... and yeah at a certain point he would be right

And then with ME incompetence to provide a good forecast and keep it updated regularly instead of twice a day ( people having to go to UK and Norwegian websites to get at least some decent info) or figure it out themselves.

rant over :o :rolleyes:
    why dont you tell us how you really feel :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

18 degrees here in London, heading towards 23 by Tuesday. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

delw wrote: »
    why dont you tell us how you really feel :p

Not appropriate for the weather forum :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

mike65 wrote: »
    Its actually chilly! The bad news is that there is no improvement in sight - great fecking high pressure to the left and to the right but we're stuck with the jet-stream bringing crap.

I went back this week to wearing a wolly scarf. I was frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

foolish humans with your whimsical nature:p

some of you a few months back during the snow were loving the idea of the jet stream dominating our weather, now you have the opposite view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The fecking thing is the wrong way round! Bring on +NAO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

foolish humans with your whimsical nature:p

some of you a few months back during the snow were loving the idea of the jet stream dominating our weather, now you have the opposite view.

My idea is,loads of sunshine,no wind and the odd shower(at night when we're all asleep). Perfect.:D

Advertisement