Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homosexuality and The Bible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Donatello wrote: »
    The sexual love between man and woman involves genuine affective and sexual complementarity, and the gift of fertility - the man gives of himself, and the woman gives of herself. They do not withhold their fertility from the other. The love is fruitful, indeed it may give rise to new human life. Homosexual acts, on the other hand, are closed to new life.

Not all man woman relationships give rise to new human life.
    Gay relationships are not equivalent to marriage.
    Once the persons get married they are. Why wouldnt they be?
    Sexuality may not be a choice, but actions are. You seem to deny the reality of human freedom. People are not animals. They ought not to be slaves to disordered passions.
    So because the Bible, depending on the edition you use, may heavily condemn homosexuality, then one should not engage their sexuality?
    Furthermore are you calling LGBT individuals disordered?

It is not true love. Love wills the good of the beloved. The best thing that can be said about that couple is they separate and allow the other to live in chaste purity and love of God.

So the Love of LGBT individuals for their partner is not equal to the love of hetrosexual individuals? Where do you get your definition or vast superior knowledge of love?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Donatello

lst wrote: »
    Not all man woman relationships give rise to new human life.

Once the persons get married they are. Why wouldnt they be?

So because the Bible, depending on the edition you use, may heavily condemn homosexuality, then one should not engage their sexuality?
    Furthermore are you calling LGBT individuals disordered?

So the Love of LGBT individuals for their partner is not equal to the love of hetrosexual individuals? Where do you get your definition or vast superior knowledge of love?
    There is no deliberate impediment within the marriage of a man and a woman. If they can't have kids, that is not their fault. Two men can never produce a baby, nor can two women. It's just not possible. And no, reproductive 'technologies' which separate reproduction from the sexual act are not morally permissible.

We Catholics are not 'Bible only-ers'. We go by the entire Word of God, passed on via both Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, and presented to us authoritatively by the living Magisterium of the Church - the Pope and bishops in union with him. Both the Sacred Scripture and Tradition have constantly condemned homosexual acts as immoral from the beginning. See here

God told us what love was when He died on the cross - it is the complete giving of the self for the good of the beloved. Persons who engage in homosexual acts deny the other person sexual integrity, they damage the health of the other, and they close heaven, by destroying the life of grace in the soul of the other person, as well as themselves.

All persons, equally, are called to holy chastity and purity. Homosexuals are not excluded from this calling to become saints. It is certainly a case of equality of opportunity.
    If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it; for he that shall lose his life for my sake, shall save it. For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, and cast away himself?

- Luke 9
    By dying to sin, one gains everlasting life.

God told us what love was when He died on the cross - it is the complete giving of the self for the good of the beloved. Persons who engage in homosexual acts deny the other person sexual integrity, they damage the health of the other, and they close heaven, by destroying the life of grace in the soul of the other person, as well as themselves.

What is your definition of sexual integrity?

How does homosexual sex damage the health of the other? What about homosexual non-sexual relationships?

Surely both of these actually do good for the mental health of LGBT individuals.

Furthermore per your point about LGBT individuals being unable to have children. What about hetrosexual individuals who do not have children, or engage in family planning (contraception) or even those who abstain from sexual relations until they are ready for kids - thats not fully giving yourself?

What is your definition of sexual integrity?

How does homosexual sex damage the health of the other? What about homosexual non-sexual relationships?

Surely both of these actually do good for the mental health of LGBT individuals.

Furthermore per your point about LGBT individuals being unable to have children. What about hetrosexual individuals who do not have children, or engage in family planning (contraception) or even those who abstain from sexual relations until they are ready for kids - thats not fully giving yourself?
    Sexual integrity is sexual activity in accordance with the divine plan. God made sex for marriage. Any sexual activity outside marriage, whether gay or straight, is immoral. Any sexual activity within marriage that is contraceptive is also immoral.

'Homosexual non-sexual relationships'? I've never heard of such a thing. Do you not really just mean good old fashioned friendship?

Contraception is immoral. "[E]very action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible" is intrinsically evil''. See here.

Good mental health comes from living a holy lifestyle with Jesus Christ at the very core of your being:
    I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me.

- Galations 2:19-20

'Homosexual non-sexual relationships'? I've never heard of such a thing. Do you not really just mean good old fashioned friendship?

Many gay individuals have non sexual relationships, particularly lesbians.

If you are hetrosexual, is it the actual sex that classifies you as such?
    For gay or lesbian individuals its the package - not the sex. You love people of the same sex, their personality, their character, the way they walk talk and act, their smell, their outlook and their appearance.

You must not be in touch with many gay people. Your comments do not reflect that LGBT individuals are people just like you - who just want their relationships to be recognised as valid.

Good mental Health has been found in people who do not have Jesus at the core of their being. Indeed anecdotally I can safely say that many of those I know with very poor mental health are very heavily religious.

Indeed many clerics have mental health issues - do you think its possible thats from their vows of chastity? These are the people who have Jesus at the core of their life, yet still are suffering.

• Advertisement

If you are hetrosexual, is it the actual sex that classifies you as such?

You must not be in touch with many gay people. Your comments do not reflect that LGBT individuals are people just like you - who just want their relationships to be recognised as valid.

Good mental Health has been found in people who do not have Jesus at the core of their being. Indeed anecdotally I can safely say that many of those I know with very poor mental health are very heavily religious.

Indeed many clerics have mental health issues - do you think its possible thats from their vows of chastity? These are the people who have Jesus at the core of their life, yet still are suffering.
    Men are men, women are women. Sex is for marriage. Until very recently, homosexual was a word for a person who engages in homo-sex acts. It is only fairly recently that for political tactical reasons, the gay lobby adopted homosexuality as an immutable characteristic, rather than a word for somebody who practises those acts.

Just because somebody is a Christian doesn't not mean they do actually live with Jesus as the core of their being. Jesus wants souls on fire, but lots of us are lukewarm. The Church is a hospital for sinners - souls to a greater or lesser extent trying to follow Jesus and be transformed by His grace. I too know many religious people who are not in great shape mentally. :)

Jesus had suffering at the heart of His mission on earth. He suffered for mankind on the cross. Redemptive suffering.

Men are men, women are women. Sex is for marriage. Until very recently, homosexual was a word for a person who engages in homo-sex acts. It is only fairly recently that for political tactical reasons, the gay lobby adopted homosexuality as an immutable characteristic, rather than a word for somebody who practises those acts.

Finally you understand! Some men like other men. Some women like other women. Yet the men are still men and the women are still women.

Congratulations!

Perhaps thats why words like gay or lesbian are better used - homosexual implies sex. I only used the word as I was on "your turf" so to speak. And just because the terminology wasnt around 100 years ago doesnt mean it didnt happen - it was just swept under the rug - "hes not the marryin kind", "he looks after his mother", or indeed (and there was research to prove it) the people in question became members of the clergy in order to avoid being expected to marry. Many women had "companions"!

So your problem with gay people is that sex is for marriage.
    So therefore allow gay people to get married? If your that worried about preserving marriage would you not be better lobbying your politicians to end the economic benefits of single parenthood?

But im still kinda lost! Your problem with gay people is the sexual acts. But if they dont engage in the sexual acts you dont have a problem? Or do you still have an issue with gay couples who do not engage in sexual acts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WarnerT

I’m inclined to agree with mcmoustache
    Having tried to remain within my church because of my love of God and my love of the Sacraments, I found that once I realised the truth of my love for someone of my own gender I began to question other teachings.

Looking back I think the experiences of God, that transcendent love, that acceptance, that feeling of union with the divine was true but now I find it harder to define, God.
    Maybe it's a good thing to find oneself unable to define God, because I think it leaves it more open, more inclusive and is a more humble relationship to the Divine.
    That includes for me the image of God as human or a father figure.
    Once I stopped seeing God in our image and likeness that seemed to get rid of a lot of the severity, control, unkindness, exclusivity, judgements , punishments and dominance of the mind over the heart.

Christian churches generally don’t have a great history of including women.
    Maybe if more women were included there would be more heart.
    Maybe the fear of women, or whatever it is that leads to their exclusion, is part of why Christians don’t like homosexual men, as in You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman.
    The fear of the feminine may be at the heart of this.
    Anyway I know there are LGBT groups who meet together to worship.
    Some within their own traditions such as Dignity for Catholics
    http://www.dignitycanada.org/
    and some creating inclusive Christian Communities like the Metropolitan Community Church http://www.mccnorthlondon.org/
    Having tried all of these however I still cant take part in rituals and find the Christian faith as it is practiced, too restrictive of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

True.

But if you feel the need to advocate for incest, then

how can a relationship between, say, a 50 year old brother and sister 'cause damage to the parties involved or to innocent third parties' in a way a homosexual hetrosexual relationship between 50 year olds would not?
    I'm glad you acknowledge this form of incest is justified by your argument for homosexuality.

Christianity does not use the 'no harm done' criteria, so both consensual homosexual and incestuous relationships are stand condemned - because of their opposition to God's will for sexual relationships.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

wolfsbane wrote: »
    I'm glad you acknowledge this form of incest is justified by your argument for homosexuality.

Christianity does not use the 'no harm done' criteria, so both consensual homosexual and incestuous relationships are stand condemned - because of their opposition to God's will for sexual relationships.

One aspect of Christianity comdemns homsexual relationship.

There are a growing number of others like the MCC linked above who say that loving committed relationships among individuals of the same gender are ok, but believe that the biblical references were mis-translated or refferred to damaging same sex encounters (e.g. masters abusing slaves etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

There are a growing number of others like the MCC linked above who say that loving committed relationships among individuals of the same gender are ok, but believe that the biblical references were mis-translated or refferred to damaging same sex encounters (e.g. masters abusing slaves etc)

I'd be interested to see their basis for assuming such when warnings to masters not to abuse their slaves are contained in other passages in Scripture (Colossians 4, and Ephesians 6).

philologos wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see their basis for assuming such when warnings to masters not to abuse their slaves are contained in other passages in Scripture (Colossians 4, and Ephesians 6).

So because its mentioned in Colossians and Ephesians means that its not being referred to elsewhere?

Very flawed logic!

It's not flawed logic. Why would you mention homosexual acts as a means to talk about slavery? That's the flawed logic as far as I see it. Could you actually present some of the arguments that they use because I don't see how they could get master and slave out of those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

Why single out Christianity?

In the old testament God condemned homosexual relationships.

Leviticus 18:22

Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, because it is an abomination.

WarnerT wrote: »
    Looking back I think the experiences of God, that transcendent love, that acceptance, that feeling of union with the divine was true but now I find it harder to define, God.

Maybe it's a good thing to find oneself unable to define God, because I think it leaves it more open, more inclusive and is a more humble relationship to the Divine.
    God is love, not sin. We don't define God. God is being itself. He revealed Himself to us definitively in the 2nd Person of the Holy Trinity, His only Son, Jesus Christ.
    Christian churches generally don’t have a great history of including women.
    Maybe if more women were included there would be more heart.
    Maybe the fear of women, or whatever it is that leads to their exclusion, is part of why Christians don’t like homosexual men, as in You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman.
    The fear of the feminine may be at the heart of this.
    Well, over half the canonised saints of the Church are women, and the most esteemed person, after Jesus, is the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Blessed Virgin Mary is at the heart of the Church. Too bad she gets ignored by too many people, especially by Catholics.

I don't get your logic about fear of the feminine. If we were all afraid of the feminine, we'd all be gay, right, so as to avoid the feminine? :confused::confused::confused:
    Some within their own traditions such as Dignity for Catholics and some creating inclusive Christian Communities like the Metropolitan Community Church. Having tried all of these however I still cant take part in rituals and find the Christian faith as it is practiced, too restrictive of God.

Dignity is not a Catholic group. They call themselves Catholic, but they have been condemned by the Church authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

They are just totally dishonest propagandists. No honest commentator, believer or not, would offer such a wild interpretation. The NT follows from the OT; constant appeal is made in the NT to OT teaching - and both agree on the issue of homosexuality.

******************************************************************************
    Romans 4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

Galatians 4:30 Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

Keylem wrote: »
    Why single out Christianity?

In the old testament God condemned homosexual relationships.

Leviticus 18:22

Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, because it is an abomination.

This is the Christianity forum.

Its clear you find that difficult to understand though, after all "thou shalt not judge" seems to be a difficult concept for some based on many of the comments made.

philologos wrote: »
    It's not flawed logic. Why would you mention homosexual acts as a means to talk about slavery? That's the flawed logic as far as I see it. Could you actually present some of the arguments that they use because I don't see how they could get master and slave out of those?

It was common in the period that masters would take advantage of slaves. It is believed by some of the LGBT friendly churchs that some references, particularly those in good old Leviticus, referred to same. Just as they may have been made to ensure survival of the race in times of war disease etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

Its clear you find that difficult to understand though, after all "thou shalt not judge" seems to be a difficult concept for some based on many of the comments made.

Christianity also uses the Old Testament Scripture readings, not forgetting the 10 Commandments, and who's judging, it's God that condemns homosexual acts?

Keylem wrote: »
    Christianity also uses the Old Testament Scriptures, even the 10 Commandments, and who's judging, it's God that condemns homosexual acts?

Funny no mention of homosexuality in the 10 Commandments?

According to some Christian groups, God does not condemn homosexuality - as stated already some groups believe that the Bible does not condemn loving gay relationships.

• Advertisement

We cannot judge final destination for sinners: heaven or hell - that is forbidden judgement. We also cannot judge a person's soul state. Only God can. We can judge actions. Homosexual acts are immoral. Read this: Judgmental: Being Judgmental.

Donnotello wrote:

You didnt reply yet - link

Funny no mention of homosexuality in the 10 Commandments?

According to some Christian groups, God does not condemn homosexuality - as stated already some groups believe that the Bible does not condemn loving gay relationships.

I'm sure you can justify many things if you stray from the Church.

The fact is, the 10 Commandments cover sexual morality in the 6th and 9th Commandments.

Finally you understand! Some men like other men. Some women like other women. Yet the men are still men and the women are still women.

Congratulations!

Perhaps thats why words like gay or lesbian are better used - homosexual implies sex. I only used the word as I was on "your turf" so to speak. And just because the terminology wasnt around 100 years ago doesnt mean it didnt happen - it was just swept under the rug - "hes not the marryin kind", "he looks after his mother", or indeed (and there was research to prove it) the people in question became members of the clergy in order to avoid being expected to marry. Many women had "companions"!

So your problem with gay people is that sex is for marriage.
    So therefore allow gay people to get married? If your that worried about preserving marriage would you not be better lobbying your politicians to end the economic benefits of single parenthood?

But im still kinda lost! Your problem with gay people is the sexual acts. But if they dont engage in the sexual acts you dont have a problem? Or do you still have an issue with gay couples who do not engage in sexual acts?
    If the parts don't fit, can you still call it marriage?

Marriage is between a man a woman for life. Marriage is for the procreation of children and the good of spouses. So-called 'gay marriage' fails to meet this two-fold criteria. You cannot redefine marriage. It is given by God.

Single parents deserve some support if they are in need. That has nothing to do with your argument.

If the parts don't fit, can you still call it marriage?

Marriage is between a man a woman for life. Marriage is for the procreation of children and the good of spouses. So-called 'gay marriage' fails to meet this two-fold criteria. You cannot redefine marriage. It is given by God.

Single parents deserve some support if they are in need. That has nothing to do with your argument.

As John Corvino says - the parts do fit! Honestly! but thats only a tiny part of it. Ask any married couple, or if your married yourself - ask your spouse - is it all about the parts fitting into each other??? Thats only one small facet! And if its the focal point of a relationship then somethings gone wrong!

Aside from Marriage do you have a problem with same sex couples who do not express their love through sex?

Its straying so I wont pursue it here, but did you take any action to prevent the civil partnership bill from passing? Would you aim to prevent same sex marriage from being allowed? If so its hypocrisy and actual real homophobia to support and promote anybody having children outside marriage. If you really felt that Marriage was all important you would be saying that state support should concentrate on married individuals - therefore single parents should get married or else avoid getting pregnant in the first place.

I disagree with both (Single Parents should get support in order to benefit the child), but its funny how when it comes go LGBT Marriage being state sanctioned we are "ruining the tradition", yet its perfectly fine for people to have kids outside marriage and be heavily supported by the state!

I'm sure you can justify many things if you stray from the Church.

The fact is, the 10 Commandments cover sexual morality in the 6th and 9th Commandments.

The Roman Catholic Church's interpretation of the 10 Commandments see homosexuality as being included under the 10 Commandments. I certainly dont question that - we know that the RCC likes to publish literature on this topic!

Other Church's dont agree! Shock horror!

Aside from Marriage do you have a problem with same sex couples who do not express their love through sex?
    I've said it before: a non-sexual close relationship between 2 peeps of the same sex sounds like friendship to me.
    Its straying so I wont pursue it here, but did you take any action to prevent the civil partnership bill from passing? Would you aim to prevent same sex marriage from being allowed? If so its hypocrisy and actual real homophobia to support and promote anybody having children outside marriage. If you really felt that Marriage was all important you would be saying that state support should concentrate on married individuals - therefore single parents should get married or else avoid getting pregnant in the first place.

I disagree with both (Single Parents should get support in order to benefit the child), but its funny how when it comes go LGBT Marriage being state sanctioned we are "ruining the tradition", yet its perfectly fine for people to have kids outside marriage and be heavily supported by the state!

If a single woman or man is having trouble making ends meet, the state can provide some help. Additionally, a family can lose a father or mother. I'm not talking about heavy support like they have in England whereby it's more profitable to have kids outside marriage than in. That's wrong. But the natural family should be supported by the state for the good of society.

I've said it before: a non-sexual close relationship between 2 peeps of the same sex sounds like friendship to me.

Thats how it was hidden years ago. Im talking about two full blown lesbians who have an intimate relationship that doesnt involve sexual contact, and they have committed to each other to have sexual contact with nobody else as its an exclusive relationship. Its insulting to call their relationship just "friendship". So calling a spade a spade - its a relationship?

Are you saying that a straight couple who have a 15 year relationship prior to getting married and dont engage in sexual practices during this time "just good friends"?
    If a single woman or man is having trouble making ends meet, the state can provide some help. Additionally, a family can lose a father or mother. I'm not talking about heavy support like they have in England whereby it's more profitable to have kids outside marriage than in. That's wrong. But the natural family should be supported by the state for the good of society.

Oh the natural family should be supported? But the Irish Benefits system (which is much more generous than the UK one) supports the mother and child who dont have the father present (excluding the small number where the father has died!)? Surely that should be more of a priority for you as thats the position of between 25% and 33% of the children in the country. So the state currently doesnt support the natural family as you call it.

Personally Id rather see State support for single parents but by your standards its an abdomination!

Yet allowing Gay or Lesbian individuals to marry would only mean 10% of the population being treated equally!

Thats how it was hidden years ago. Im talking about two full blown lesbians who have an intimate relationship that doesnt involve sexual contact, and they have committed to each other to have sexual contact with nobody else as its an exclusive relationship. Its insulting to call their relationship just "friendship". So calling a spade a spade - its a relationship? [Which is it? You said earlier the gay relationship was non-sexual (in which case I said it sounds like friendship), now you say they are having sexual relations. Which is it?]

Are you saying that a straight couple who have a 15 year relationship prior to getting married and dont engage in sexual practices during this time "just good friends"? [I'd be wondering if a) they really hadn't had sex, and b. why they hadn't married sooner. This is starting to get a bit too silly.]

Oh the natural family should be supported? But the Irish Benefits system (which is much more generous than the UK one) supports the mother and child who dont have the father present (excluding the small number where the father has died!)? Surely that should be more of a priority for you as thats the position of between 25% and 33% of the children in the country. So the state currently doesnt support the natural family as you call it.

Personally Id rather see State support for single parents but by your standards its an abdomination! [Where did I say that?]

Yet allowing Gay or Lesbian individuals to marry would only mean 10% of the population being treated equally! [Two gays in a relationship is not marriage. You can't redefine terms like that willy-nilly.]

My comments in red. ^

• Advertisement

It was common in the period that masters would take advantage of slaves. It is believed by some of the LGBT friendly churchs that some references, particularly those in good old Leviticus, referred to same. Just as they may have been made to ensure survival of the race in times of war disease etc

How exactly do they explain this? Slaves and masters have nothing to do with those references.

Advertisement