Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homosexuality and The Bible

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭Quo Vadis

mcrdotcom wrote: »
    This isn't an English essay... If there are not enough priests then the parish can't be serviced properly...

The point was with a steady 1 or 2 now being ordained every year for the last 5-6 years (an increase, there was none ordained for the 5 years before that), then there will be enough priests to serve this diocese. Apologies if this bursts your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcrdotcom

Quo Vadis wrote: »
    The point was with a steady 1 or 2 now being ordained every year for the last 5-6 years (an increase, there was none ordained for the 5 years before that), then there will be enough priests to serve this diocese. Apologies if this bursts your bubble.

Wow... one diocese? I can see how 1-2 per year will serve the parishes country wide ;)

Also, with the disgraceful actions of some of the churches priests coming to light over the recent years, I can see these figures dropping in the next few years.

Roman Catholicism is a religion riddled with secrecy and fraud. Personally, even if I believed in God, I wouldn't go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Roman Catholicism is a religion riddled with secrecy and fraud. Personally, even if I believed in God, I wouldn't go near it.

Hmmm. I have a similar suspicious attitude regarding the RCC, but I'm still a member of its congregation of millions (for now). It *does* enact a tug of war between my faith and the reality of this world and the culpability of the RCC through the mistakes/cowardice/pride of men.

But at what point do you turn your back on the ability for man to redeem himself? On your own ability to forgive? But in fairness, I wasn't abused by clergy. Perhaps this is not my argument to make? It's a little like people arguing the pros and cons of abortion without facing the choice in front of them for real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

mrcdotcom: Perhaps it might be best to open a new thread if you want to discuss the direction you see Christianity (in general) going in? That could be an interesting discussion for us all.

Wow... one diocese? I can see how 1-2 per year will serve the parishes country wide ;)

Also, with the disgraceful actions of some of the churches priests coming to light over the recent years, I can see these figures dropping in the next few years.

Ah yes the real agenda pops out. Well with that mentality by remaining Irish then surely your condoning every act of child abuse and fraud in Ireland ?

• Advertisement

Ah yes the real agenda pops out. Well with that mentality by remaining Irish then surely your condoning every act of child abuse and fraud in Ireland ?

Did you not see the bit about secrecy?

The secrets of the Vatican are immense... Maybe if they were transparent, and didn't keep their 'treasures' a secret, people might not frown upon the church so much. Also, the progress that could be made within science, history AND religion would be amazing. But no, papa just keeps them locked up for himself.

So it is not just a few... Your own leaders are contributing.

Also, the money within the Vatican... The many lives that could be saved with that, instead of keeping the Pope's feet warm!

philologos: possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

The secrets of the Vatican are immense... Maybe if they were transparent, and didn't keep their 'treasures' a secret, people might not frown upon the church so much.

Also, the money within the Vatican... The many lives that could be saved with that, instead of keeping the Pope's feet warm!

Please expand on the secrecy of the vatican?

and the treasures therein? It would be good to 'clarify' exactly what you are talking about...

The 'money' within the vatican is as a consequence of it's faithful and it's spent and redistributed in every diocese on a local level, despite the Popes feet being warm or not whatever the case may be..the church is very 'local' self funded by it's faithful locally...Those who 'do' and are motivated....to fund same.

The secrets of the Vatican are immense... Maybe if they were transparent, and didn't keep their 'treasures' a secret, people might not frown upon the church so much.

So what are these secrets they are keeping from us all ?

As for the rest, The Pope owns nothing, not a thing. Food and board is all he gets from Catholics.
    The Vatican is owned by the worlds Catholics.
    The Vatican is not "rich". It has an annual operating budget of $260 million, Not much for 1 billion Catholics worldwide. It's budget would not place it on any Top 500 list of major social institutions. It often runs at a deficit each year.
    The Catholic church runs hundreds of aid agencies all over the world helping the poor every day.

lmaopml wrote: »
    Please expand on the secrecy of the vatican?

and the treasures therein? It would be good to 'clarify' exactly what you are talking about...

The 'money' within the vatican is as a consequence of it's faithful and it's spent and redistributed in every diocese on a local level, despite the Popes feet being warm or not whatever the case may be..the church is very 'local' self funded by it's faithful locally...Those who 'do' and are motivated....to fund same.

It is common knowledge that the church has confiscated many things throughout the years, and their vaults are filled with them.

Also, there are 82 linear kilometers of shelves within the Vatican Secret Archive. Yes, the Vatican calls its archive the 'Secret Archive'.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

This is the Pope here, hello!

We do have archives fyi dude.

God bless!

• Advertisement

It is common knowledge that the church has confiscated many things throughout the years, and their vaults are filled with them.

Also, there are 82 linear kilometers of shelves within the Vatican Secret Archive. Yes, the Vatican calls its archive the 'Secret Archive'.

2000 years of historical documents.

So secret, the secret achives are open for research ;

The Secret Archives are open to Researchers from September 16th to July 15th (8:15 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.) from Monday to Saturday.

The Admissions Secretary issues Entry Cards from Monday to Friday from 8:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.

The word "secret" in the title "Vatican Secret Archives" does not have the modern meaning: it indicates instead that the archives are the Pope's own, not those of a department of the Roman Curia. The word "secret" was used in this sense also in phrases such as "secret servants", "secret cupbearer", "secret carver" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Secret_Archives

Dude they have private documents that not everyone can just have a look at. Fragile documents that are kept away from the public.

Take a chill pill dude.

Man, you cant use wikipedia as a reference, have you ever written a college essay?!

I could go on and change that right now.

2000 years of historical documents.

So secret, the secret achives are open for research ;

The Secret Archives are open to Researchers from September 16th to July 15th (8:15 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.) from Monday to Saturday.

The Admissions Secretary issues Entry Cards from Monday to Friday from 8:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.

The word "secret" in the title "Vatican Secret Archives" does not have the modern meaning: it indicates instead that the archives are the Pope's own, not those of a department of the Roman Curia. The word "secret" was used in this sense also in phrases such as "secret servants", "secret cupbearer", "secret carver" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_Secret_Archives

Entry is STRICTLY controlled and is only granted for SPECIFIC purposes and is supervised. Nobody knows what documents are being kept away from public view?

"The Italian anticlerical party was disappointed in its hope of finding the Secret Archives a repository for records of usurpations, crimes, and sexual perversions. But the question still remains as to whether the Secret Archives exercises internal censorship over its materials. What action is taken by a scriptor, custodian, or prefect when, in the course of his work, he comes across material that is morally or theologically controversial? Has a closed (chiuso) fondo [individual archive] gradually accumulated, the much-talked-of fondo about which nothing is actually known, a closed fondo which is categorically denied by the Archives authorities? This is a question which puzzled me during the long time I spent working in the Secret Archives, and to which I still have not found any answer. My own personal impression is that no such material is destroyed. The men of the Archives have too much sense of the past, too much reverence for scholarship, too much obligation to learning, for that. But such documents may be omitted from the inventories, bound in volumes containing documents of a very different kind, and relegated to some fondo that is closed because of chronological limitation or very seldom consulted.

This happened with the personal letters of Pope Borgia to the little clan of his devoted women, and with the original summary of the process of [the trial of] Giordano Bruno, and may have happened many other times that we do not know about. Such documents may eventually reappear in the future..."

YouthNovel wrote: »
    Man, you cant use wikipedia as a reference, have you ever written a college essay?!

I could go on and change that right now.

yeh cause we all know how pro catholic wiki is, yo lil dude check the footnotes and refs, skools out, 2 kool 4 skool. :rolleyes:

Hey man, I hope you feel better after your little go at me there. Big balls.

Just thought you might have had the sense not to reference wikipedia, regardless of any references or footnotes at the end. If we all started referencing wikipedia, an online encyclopedia that can be edited by members of the general global public, then facts could be misconstrued by a link to a random page containing (the majority of the time) poorly backed up work.

In future, I'd recommend you rely on better sources, especially trying to back up such a ridiculous arguments as yours.

The catholic church in Ireland, is now renowned for their inability to communicate vital information to relevant establishments in an order to save their behind, and that of their own priests.

I understand your need to defend your church. I'm a roman catholic, and I go to mass every week, but recent revelations have had a serious affect on my faith in the church, not in God. If the church is unable to instill a faith and trust in its followers, how would they expect us to fend for them like you do.

Hey man, I hope you feel better after your little go at me there. Big balls.

Just thought you might have had the sense not to reference wikipedia, regardless of any references or footnotes at the end. If we all started referencing wikipedia, an online encyclopedia that can be edited by members of the general global public, then facts could be misconstrued by a link to a random page containing (the majority of the time) poorly backed up work.

In future, I'd recommend you rely on better sources, especially trying to back up such a ridiculous arguments as yours.

The catholic church in Ireland, is now renowned for their inability to communicate vital information to relevant establishments in an order to save their behind, and that of their own priests.

Amen to that!

The sources for the wiki article are quoted at the link
    Are you finished with the strawman argument yet ?

I understand your need to defend your church. I'm a roman catholic, and I go to mass every week, but recent revelations have had a serious affect on my faith in the church, not in God. If the church is unable to instill a faith and trust in its followers, how would they expect us to fend for them like you do.

hear hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

Don't you mean some of the Catholic Hierarchy didn't communicate vital information. The Catholic Church's members consists of clergy and laity.

Jesus certainly knew the future and what would happen with His Church, yet that didn't stop him from establishing it. He also said that there would be some who wouldn't tow the line, just like the Pharisees of His day.

1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

Matt 23:1-12

In other words, the teaching will be sound but some of the preachers wouldn't!

My faith in the Church isn't based on what it's members do!

• Advertisement

Keylem wrote: »
    My faith in the Church isn't based on what it's members do!

...but the clergy also count as members of the church, do they not? How did this get on to the sexual abuse scandals anyway? Shouldn't this be in the 'evidence' that the paedophiles were homosexuals thread?

The sources for the wiki article are quoted at the link
    Are you finished with the strawman argument yet ?

Wow, it was hardly a strawman argument if I was replying to your argument and not refuting it with irrelevant information. Looks like you just didn't want to address what I had to say.

Everyone knows that wikipeida is not a sound resource. Ask any college lecturer. Unless it's to do with Chemistry.

You didn't even try to defend your argument. Just not bothered?

Asry wrote: »
    ...but the clergy also count as members of the church, do they not? How did this get on to the sexual abuse scandals anyway? Shouldn't this be in the 'evidence' that the paedophiles were homosexuals thread?

Personally, I like to distinguish between the guilty and the innocent, and the golden principle or justice is that people are innocent until proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. I could just as easily write off Ireland and Irish people as lazy corrupt greedy cowardly terrorist drunkards, but I don't. I could do the same with anyone of another nationality or persecution, but I don't.

Yes I'm very angry about what some of the peusedo Catholic priests and bishops have done, but I will never let them spoil my Church or my faith. Jesus himself showed us that for every 12 disciples one can turn out to be a Judas.

Wow, it was hardly a strawman argument if I was replying to your argument and not refuting it with irrelevant information. Looks like you just didn't want to address what I had to say.

Everyone knows that wikipeida is not a sound resource. Ask any college lecturer. Unless it's to do with Chemistry.

You didn't even try to defend your argument. Just not bothered?

Because your trying to argue about wikipedia not being suitable for your school essays, not the actual points, if you have better data refuting it, post it. But interestingly you've posted nothing proving your claims about the church.

Ha you think I need to give you proof about my claims about the church. I'm sure there's a few well known reports you can have a look at.

Ha you think I need to give you proof about my claims about the church. I'm sure there's a few well known reports you can have a look at.

Like this one perhaps!

Like this one perhaps!

Yet the CC still forbids the use of condoms. Prevention is better than treatment.

Promiscuity spreads aids, and condoms aids promiscuity!

Promiscuity spreads aids, and condoms aids promiscuity!

It still doesn't take away from the fact that the CC is inadvertently aiding in the pain, misery and death of countless numbers of people through their disallowing of the use of condoms, especially on the African continent.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry for those who have aids, but condoms won't stop the spread as they are not 100 percent safe, and those that use it inadvertantly help spread it. Celibacy is 100 percent safe!

Advertisement