Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare timetabling of trains... WTF!?!?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

I know it sounds like a broken record at this stage, but there has to be some reason.

I just read here "Trains are not timetabled to meet the ferry services to and from Fishguard- they generally leave approximately 5 minutes before the ferry berths."

Can someone give the REAL reason why this is so? Why the fook are IE running a passenger train out of a port that leaves 5 minutes before the fooking ferry arrives?!

My pension was raided today by a govt that is presiding over this shíte. I'm going to email Leo about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,149 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Deliberately running down passenger numbers, pure and simple. Its hard to get the NTA to agree to closing a railway people use, see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Trampas

that would make to much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

MYOB wrote: »
    Deliberately running down passenger numbers, pure and simple. Its hard to get the NTA to agree to closing a railway people use, see.
    But why run down passenger numbers? It makes no sense.

IE orchestrating the closure of railways makes no sense. The boys will be doing themselves out of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,149 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IE are a property firm who have the awkward problem of having to run a train service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It really is madness. The train on the other side far as I know in Fishguard meets the ferries as common sense would dictate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

With the new jobs initiative announced today focusing so much on tourism, you'd think this sort of thing would be high on the agenda. Without addressing things like this, it's just so much window dressing. Fact is, IR don't want to run trains to Rosslare and Kenny, like his predecessors, won't do a thing about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why is there so many WTF Rosslare threads on this forum? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

It doesn't seem to be unique to Rosslare, the afternoon HSS into Holyhead just misses the train out of Holyhead leaving a 2 hour wait until the next one. Infuriating!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Someone needs to corner a NTA agent and just get the real story! If they're the National TRANSPORT Authority, they can't be oblivious to this! It's just bonkers, railways all over the country doing sweet F.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No-one's considered it might be the fact there's shag all foot passengers
    and there's bus services on a much more frequent basis than the trains which are quicker to get to Dublin than the train?

The only people seriously inconvenienced are those trying to get to Rathdrum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Would the apparently "knowledgeable enthusiasts" around these parts like to comment on why this time honored tradition persists?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

CIE is and always has been a pathologically insane organisation from top to bottom. If they ran a bank they would be selling sandwiches from the ATMs. If they owned an airport they would be growing cabbages between the runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

and there's bus services on a much more frequent basis than the trains which are quicker to get to Dublin than the train?

Ah come on now, there must be some foot passengers 50,20,10,5 whatever.

So you schedule the train to depart 20 or 30 minutes after the ferry arrives.
    You put an ad on the ferrys website advertising this fact - you give special offers for people who book the boat and the train.
    You advertise it to the Welsh stag party / hen party/golf holiday crowd as a fun and easy and cheap way to get to Dublin.

The one thing you don't do is deliberately schedule the trains to depart 5 minutes before the ferry arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

I fully agree CIÉ/IÉ's attitude to Rosslare is pretty ridiculous. IÉ own the port yet dug up a perfectly good rail connection and relocated it as inconvienantly as possible, giving their sister/rival company BÉ the advantage in terms of convienance. It's crazy. The timetabling of trains not to connect with the ferries doesn't make any sense either, when it comes to Rosslare port very little does.

Even if the foot passenger traffic is low surely it would have been cheaper to resignal the old line into the port than build a new station? (The one there was only put in around the late 80s anyway. Madness.

And no better way to keep passenger numbers at a minimum than by making life as difficult as possible for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The NTA (No Trains Allowed) are well aware of the situation at Rosslare but who appointed them? Who do they represent? Where is the representation for rail users and I don't mean Mark Gleeson!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

The NTA (No Trains Allowed) are well aware of the situation at Rosslare but who appointed them? Who do they represent? Where is the representation for rail users and I don't mean Mark Gleeson!!

There is a plastic bag wrapped around a street lamp in Boyle. You could try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

n97 mini wrote: »
    And no better way to keep passenger numbers at a minimum than by making life as difficult as possible for them.
    Passengers walk out of the terminal straight onto a bus and get ferried into dublin or even the airport in less time than the train could ever do the journey. Seems pretty good to me.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Passengers walk out of the terminal straight onto a bus and get ferried into dublin or even the airport in less time than the train could ever do the journey. Seems pretty good to me.

Seems a pretty good reason for the train to leave 5 minutes before the ferry gets in? You might need to explain that one.

Not sure why anyone would come off the ferry from the UK to go to Dublin Airport? You might need to explain that one too.

BE Rosslare Europort to Busarus is 3hr 20min. The train is 30 minutes quicker. You'll also need to explain why the bus is better.

Seems a pretty good reason for the train to leave 5 minutes before the ferry gets in? You might need to explain that one.

Not sure why anyone would come off the ferry from the UK to go to Dublin Airport? You might need to explain that one too.

BE Rosslare Europort to Busarus is 3hr 20min. The train is 30 minutes quicker. You'll also need to explain why the bus is better.
    If Rosslare was the only station served by the train I might be concerned but many people rely on the trains for getting to/from work etc and to regularly delay the trains for god only knows how long would be criticized as just another classic Irish rail move in preparation for line closure, they are damned if they do and slated and damned because they don't!

• Advertisement

If Rosslare was the only station served by the train I might be concerned but many people rely on the trains for getting to/from work etc and to regularly delay the trains for god only knows how long would be criticized as just another classic Irish rail move in preparation for line closure, they are damned if they do and slated and damned because they don't!

What? With all due respect I think you're on the wrong thread.

We're not talking delaying trains. We're talking timetabling them to leave after the ferry arrives. If you're running a train from a ferry port who is it there to serve?

What? With all due respect I think you're on the wrong thread.

We're not talking delaying trains. We're talking timetabling them to leave after the ferry arrives. If you're running a train from a ferry port who is it there to serve?
    So the trains leave a half hour later and people along the route stop getting it because it is now useless for work or whatever they used it for, it is not all about the ferry which accounts for a lot of the passengers on the train but not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you know, at this point it would just be easier and quicker to ask Stena / Irish ferries to move the ferry time to suit the train :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would agree about the absurdity of the lack of connections at Rosslare.

However, before castigating the NTA, I would comment that there is a new Connolly draft timetable due to be published shortly - the first since the NTA have taken over responsibility for this area. Perhaps it might be better to criticise them once that is published if it does not see improved connections.

For those who are criticising the NTA above and suggesting they have no customer forcus I would point to the raft of bus timetable changes and new licence approvals that have taken place in recent months as an example that shows this is patently not the case. They are getting through a massive backlog that they inherited from the DoT and seem to be taking a customer focussed approach.

To my mind the Rosslare line bady needs a redrafted timetable with at least one extra morning service in each direction, connections reinstated into and out of the evening ferries, and a late evening service to Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yet the NTA has approved DB network direct, the single worst thing ot happen to buses in the city in 50 years and the recent increase in fares again.... says a lot about their customer focus

So the trains leave a half hour later and people along the route stop getting it because it is now useless for work

Let them get the friggin bus if it's so good!

you know, at this point it would just be easier and quicker to ask Stena / Irish ferries to move the ferry time to suit the train :pac:

I thought the same. But then I thought if the ferries were pulled back by half an hour that in the next timetable the trains would be pulled back by the same amount, restoring the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

yet the NTA has approved DB network direct, the single worst thing ot happen to buses in the city in 50 years and the recent increase in fares again.... says a lot about their customer focus

That's a somewhat over the top comment. Yes there were serious implementation issues (particularly around the N11 and N2 and route 4) but I think it would be correct to say that they have now been addressed and lessons learnt.

I don't see anything in the later plans that would justify your comment - from what it would appear (from reports here) since the next round of plans were published the bus company is listening to what customers are saying at the consultations (e.g. route 11 being retained).

The reality is that the bus service in Dublin can and will be cut back in certain areas where there is over-supply of routes. Listening to the Minister that is fairly obvious.

You are at the same time ignoring the other service improvements approved by the NTA:
    1) Improved bus services in Cavan/Monaghan
    2) New Aircoach services
    3) Extension of the 37 to Blanchardstown SC
    4) Impending introduction of bus services along the M3
    5) Improvements on the Limerick and Derry routes
    6) Dublin Coach going to 24 hour operation
    7) Improved local services in Wexford
    8) Extended Swords Express services
    9) Rollout of RTPI

In the particular instance of Rosslare, I'd personally prefer to wait and see what the draft timetable is like before passing judgement on the NTA, rather than just making instant judgements before we see what is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

mfitzy wrote: »
    It really is madness. The train on the other side far as I know in Fishguard meets the ferries as common sense would dictate.

Correct, the train pulls into the Stena train station around 20/30 minutes before the ferry gets in - passengers get off train and get themsleves sorted out for getting on the ferry.

Ferry docks, and passengers walk straight onto train which leaves shortly after - direct connection to Swansea and Cardiff with connections to London et all after that. Works really smoothly. Stena own the train station and work with the rail provider around timetabling.

Stena in fact sell combined ferry and train ticket pacakages - it attracts more foot passengers - where it falls down is getting off the ferry in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

murphym7 wrote: »

Stena in fact sell combined ferry and train ticket pacakages - it attracts more foot passengers - where it falls down is getting off the ferry in Ireland.

Well considering Stena are technically part owners of the Rosslare - Waterford rail line, you'd think they would have been a little more proactive when it came to shutting the route down.:D

Advertisement