Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity BEGGING for money

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭bhur

El Siglo wrote: »
    The opinion of one poster is not that of an entire university and same could be said of any university in Ireland.

I agree with you on that point, and i guess many student of my own uni have expressed outrages statements too. But this is the stereotypical attitute of the trinners crowd, which is sad really, they dont have much to be proud of considering UCD is ranked higher in MBA terms, NUIG will soon have the biggest Engineering building in the country etc. etc.l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

The sense of entitlement among some of you is outrageous. I don't accept the argument that if someone went to a shít school, they deserve a scholarship and reduced points. A smart student will do well whether he is in a private or public school. A teacher can't learn for you, only YOU can learn. Likewise, rich kids get sent to the Institute and automatically assume that it guarantees them a place in TCD. It is merely an attempt to deflect personal responsibilty for your own education.

What TAP represents for me is the creeping in of American-style "affirmative action", where positive discrimination (an oxymoron if I ever saw one) is encouraged to give poor people and minorities an unfair advantage in the world of education and employment. The situation is farcical in America, where kids feel under pressure to emphasise their "ethnic" heritage. So a middle class white kid will search his family tree back generations in the hope of finding a trace of a Jew or Latino somewhere down the line.

Trinity cannot maintain its current level of expenditure. The fact that it released these videos is evidence of that. In recent years we've seen the building of the new gym, the long room hub and the refurbishment of the Pav. I'd imagine the university is in serious debt. Bring back fees combined with a loan system. Scrap TAP and cut funding to the SU and 90% of societies. You pay for what you use. Don't expect the nanny state to fund your drinking for the next four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

bhur wrote: »
    I agree with you on that point, and i guess many student of my own uni have expressed outrages statements too. But this is the stereotypical attitute of the trinners crowd, which is sad really, they dont have much to be proud of considering UCD is ranked higher in MBA terms, NUIG will soon have the biggest Engineering building in the country etc. etc.l

Eh the majority of people here argued that TAP is good and worthwhile and the majority of those are trinity students.

Oh and since when does bigger = better...dont insult my department...our Engineering department is the best in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

You can't give two examples, the second of which doesn't even relate to anything to be proud of in academic terms (the size of a building, really?), and state "etc. etc." and expect that to stand up as a reasonable argument for Trinity not having much to be proud about.

What are contained in the "etc. etc."? Please do go on.

tehjimmeh wrote: »
    You can't give two examples, the second of which doesn't even relate to anything to be proud of in academic terms (the size of a building, really?), and state "etc. etc." and expect that to stand up as a reasonable argument for Trinity not having much to be proud about.

What are contained in the "etc. etc."? Please do go on.

Bigger building == Better facilities,

Hold on now, i aint knocking TCD, in fact il want to head there in 2 years time, i merely stated that each institution has its own merits and strengths, but feck off if you are of the thinking that TCD is the best in the country overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Fo Real wrote: »
    The sense of entitlement among some of you is outrageous. I don't accept the argument that if someone went to a shít school, they deserve a scholarship and reduced points. A smart student will do well whether he is in a private or public school. A teacher can't learn for you, only YOU can learn. Likewise, rich kids get sent to the Institute and automatically assume that it guarantees them a place in TCD. It is merely an attempt to deflect personal responsibilty for your own education.

What TAP represents for me is the creeping in of American-style "affirmative action", where positive discrimination (an oxymoron if I ever saw one) is encouraged to give poor people and minorities an unfair advantage in the world of education and employment. The situation is farcical in America, where kids feel under pressure to emphasise their "ethnic" heritage. So a middle class white kid will search his family tree back generations in the hope of finding a trace of a Jew or Latino somewhere down the line.

Trinity cannot maintain its current level of expenditure. The fact that it released these videos is evidence of that. In recent years we've seen the building of the new gym, the long room hub and the refurbishment of the Pav. I'd imagine the university is in serious debt. Bring back fees combined with a loan system. Scrap TAP and cut funding to the SU and 90% of societies. You pay for what you use. Don't expect the nanny state to fund your drinking for the next four years.
    Someone doesn't get onto HEAR just because they went to a **** school. You have to meet 4 or so requirements. No family/or very little history of third level education. Little history of students progressing to third level etc etc. If someone grows up in an area of social deprivation and they've no role models to actually tell them they should go to college that's probably the reason they left school or did ****, not because they're an idiot or lazy. Likewise if someone does well in this environment why shouldn't they be given a small step up to make up for 18 years of disadvantage?

You'd also assume from your posts that TAP and HEAR students are taking the majority of places from normal students. They get 5% or so of places sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Bigger building == Better facilities,

Well, that's mental logic
    but feck off if you are of the thinking that TCD is the best in the country overall

In fairness though, it objectively is.

andrew wrote: »
    Well, that's mental logic

In fairness though, it objectively is.

There we are again, off your trinity high horse and dont underestimate the investment NUIG is putting into its infrastructure.

Not true, i cant comment on all the courses, but i do know the MSC in finance there is a beauty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

There we are again, off your trinity high horse and dont underestimate the investment NUIG is putting into its infrastructure.

Not true, i cant comment on all the courses, but i do know the MSC in finance there is a beauty.

Saying Trinity's better than NUIG is objective fact.

Educated reaction: A lot of debate over league tables and positioning and their validity

Being the Country-boy-middle-class-not-posh-enough-for-trinners-yokel I am: Oh darn! i bow down before you! here, have my wallet!

• Advertisement

Educated reaction: A lot of debate over league tables and positioning and their validity

Being the Country-boy-middle-class-not-posh-enough-for-trinners-yokel I am: Oh darn! i bow down before you! here, have my wallet!

Educated response: Even if there's a margin of error, Trinity's position is so far ahead of other colleges that it's still clearly better.

You're the one inferring my attitude. You're the one with the inferiority complex. All I'm saying is that Trinity's better academically. Fact.

Educated response: Even if there's a margin of error, Trinity's position is so far ahead of other colleges that it's still clearly better.

You're the one inferring my attitude. You're the one with the inferiority complex. All I'm saying is that Trinity's better academically. Fact.

ZERO inferiority complex, Almost full points in the LC 4 years ago, consistently high marks in uni, but i suspect i wouldnt fit in with the "daddy bought me..." crowd nor would i want to.

Are you a trinners student by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Tragedy wrote: »
    From the TAP website:

What? You apply to TAP foundation course, OR HEAR entry. You don't do one and get the other if it doesn't work out.

HEAR(which is part of TAP, but I just call the Foundation course TAP as it's easier) does offer students entry on reduced points - it confirms this on both the TCD website and the HEAR website.

Please stop arguing against points I didn't make. If you go for direct entry to university as a TAP student you don't get in on reduced points. The HEAR programme is connected with specific schools, so one school might be a TCD school, another a UCD etc. Either way, one can still apply for the foundation course, and this doesn't get you in on "reduced points", it just means you're assessed on different criteria.

Entitlement isn't the same as being given a grant. I said HEAR/TAP students always seemed to automagically be entitled to the full top-up grant, of course they still have to apply for it.

So what's your point? A TAP student has to submit the exact same financial documentation to their local authority as anyone else and they're assessed in exactly the same way. As a matter of fact, it was harder for me as I had to prove I was abandoned by my parents when I was a teenager. Of course someone who gets into a programme designed for people from poor socio-economic backgrounds is going to be accepted for a grant designed for people with low incomes - what about it?
    For a TAP Ambassador of 4 years, you know **** all about it's entry requirements and eligibility to be quite honest.

Or maybe TCD has failed you in your development of reading comprehension skills. Try reading again. If this starts getting personal, though, I'll refuse to engage with you.
    Oh and Raedwald, the foundation course isn't to a JF level (and I've looked at the exam papers for the Arts modules). It makes zero sense for it to be the same difficulty as JF academically, otherwise why bother doing the foundation course?
    It's about pass leaving cert level, but more focused on what your degree will require.

I didn't do the foundation course, so I can't say with any certainty, but I've been told that the Politics, History, and Law modules are very similar to the JF modules, they're just not quite as extensive given that the foundation arts course is comprised of a number of different modules. The idea is that you're given the opportunity to develop the necessary skills to succeed at university level.

ZERO inferiority complex, Almost full points in the LC 4 years ago, consistently high marks in uni, but i suspect i wouldnt fit in with the "daddy bought me..." crowd nor would i want to.

Are you a trinners student by the way?

Well then you've a warped perception of Trinity. It's not full of posh stuck up people. It's full of nerds.

Yes.

Well then you've a warped perception of Trinity. It's not full of posh stuck up people. It's full of nerds.

Yes.

Ok i shall take your word for it so, but im sure you are aware of the typical trinner stereotype.

Anyway this thread bores me, well done to TCD on their affirmative action, but give it a few years guys, NUIG, UCD, will close the gap in the tables considerably

Au revoir

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

Hold on now, i aint knocking TCD, in fact il want to head there in 2 years time, i merely stated that each institution has its own merits and strengths
    No you didn't, you said "[TCD students] don't have much to be proud of".

How is that saying that each institution has its own merits and strengths?
    but feck off if you are of the thinking that TCD is the best in the country overall
    TCD consistently places higher than all other Irish universities on a wide range of university ranking tables.

But that's irrelevant really, very few people in Trinity live up to the stereotype of thinking that they're better than anyone else or that they go to a better university than anyone else Far more prevalent IME are those with an inferiority complex towards TCD students.

TCD students aren't "posh" or rich or snobbish or anything you might perceive them as being for some bizarre reason. It's not exclusive either, you apply for TCD via the CAO, same as any other university.

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

You're not the only culchie in uni... I'm from Laois and went to Trinity for my MSc having been in UCD, I've worked in NUIM and I'm in QUB for my PhD. Out of all of these places, Trinity was by far the best. UCD was good, but there's not enough small tutorials or classes or practicals for what I was studying (Geography). QUB is okay but it's a different ball game at PhD level. Trinity was great because you have people coming from all over the place; the 'best' and worst parts of Dublin, South Kerry, the US and the UK. It was a great experience and I still keep in touch with lecturers there. The old attitudes of the landed gentry, entitlement etc... Are long gone and Trinity students are the same as anyone else (show me a knob head from TCD and I'll show you one from UCD, NUIG etc...).

Back on topic; TAP etc... Great programmes, they do no harm and cost pittance, don't see the problem with giving help to the worst off in society or is that going to break the economy once and for all...:rolleyes:

The sense of entitlement among some of you is outrageous. I don't accept the argument that if someone went to a shít school, they deserve a scholarship and reduced points.

Do you agree that someone who grows up in a socially, economically, and academically deprived environment should be given the opportunity to demonstrate their academic abilities?
    A smart student will do well whether he is in a private or public school.

I haven't got the source to hand at the minute, but I can get it: I read a statistic a few years ago that said that 7% of students from D10 (where I'm from) and 9% from D11 progress to University, as compared to the >70% from D4 and >80% from D6. Is that because we're genetically inferior, or inherently prone to laziness, stupidity, failure?

But then you look at the extremely high success rate of TAP students in TCD, and their disproportionately high representation within sports clubs and societies. Off-hand I can think of, academic-wise, several successful final year students, a Ph.D graduate in History, a Ph.D student in the Institute of Neuroscience, two Ph.D students in the School of Psychology, several Psychology M.A. students, and several M.A. and M.Sc. graduates. Last year's winner of the TCD student award was a TAP student, and I know several TAP students in high committee positions, one of whom is a captain.

So I would argue that there are definitely some major environmental impediments to a successful leaving cert, and anyone who claims otherwise is extremely naive.
    A teacher can't learn for you, only YOU can learn. Likewise, rich kids get sent to the Institute and automatically assume that it guarantees them a place in TCD. It is merely an attempt to deflect personal responsibilty for your own education.

But then if you look at the Irish Times school leagues tables the private, fee-paying schools consistently top the charts. You can't build a house out of your own faeces, and when you're deprived of even the most simple resources such as books (my school had no library and my family couldn't afford the full book list) and you have to put up with a massive student:teacher ratio (my school was about 30:1) you can't exactly excel. There's also a poverty of stimulus in these deprived areas, and students are consistently led to believe that Trinity, UCD, DCU are all for rich people who go to decent schools. Let me ask you, have you ever even been to a working class area?

Your attitude seems very consistent with American Tea-Party conservativism, or elitism. Ignoring your ridiculous "positive discrimination" claim, do you honestly believe people from deprived socio-economic backgrounds have any semblence of an advantage over those from upper-middle class wealthy backgrounds with excellent private education? Stop being ridiculous and I suggest reevaluate your concept of privilege for a moment. The situation is farcical in America because poor people, many of whom are ethnic minorities, don't even have access to the most basic medical facilities because they can't afford health insurance (but as far as I'm aware there are increasing efforts to change this).

affirmative%20action.jpg
    Trinity cannot maintain its current level of expenditure.

I agree.
    The fact that it released these videos is evidence of that.

TAP has been involved in a number of fundraising initiatives over the years, including the Trinity Takes to the Streets campaign. So, what's the problem?
    In recent years we've seen the building of the new gym, the long room hub and the refurbishment of the Pav. I'd imagine the university is in serious debt. Bring back fees combined with a loan system.

I'm not getting into a fees debate. I'm all for fees for those who can afford it, but not for those for whom fees would be the ultimate barrier to an education.
    Scrap TAP and cut funding to the SU and 90% of societies.

Your ignorance amazes me. Scrapping TAP would be a major backwards step and would only further perpetuate the elitism this country is so seriously plagued with. As much as much of what the SU does pisses me off, we need one. The clubs and societies are integral to the whole TCD experience, and they've already taken a massive cut.

You pay for what you use. Don't expect the nanny state to fund your drinking for the next four years.

Who are you referring to here? Not the TAP students I hope, because that would raise a number of unfortunate implications regarding just how out of touch you are with reality. For the four years I've been in TCD I've had a weekend job as bouncer - a shít, dangerous, and consuming job. I have no parents to pay my rent, and I'm only 22. If you seriously believe that any money I have goes towards a bad habit then it perfectly explains why you have such a warped sense of social justice and equality.

Oh, and by the way, I don't drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

awesome picture explaining privilege versus affirmative action

I spent half an hour yesterday trying to find that picture to use in my response. Thank you!!

I'm worried that potential applicants to TCD could read this and be put off by the snobbery of some of the posters in this thread, so let me just point out that the vast majority of students I've spoken to in TCD have absolutely no problem with the TAP programme. Many of the volunteers for TAP are actually not TAP students, one of whom is a good friend of mine.

Here's an interesting read:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0423/1224295304511.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭KH25

I'm worried that potential applicants to TCD could read this and be put off by the snobbery of some of the posters in this thread, so let me just point out that the vast majority of students I've spoken to in TCD have absolutely no problem with the TAP programme. Many of the volunteers for TAP are actually not TAP students, one of whom is a good friend of mine.

Here's an interesting read:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0423/1224295304511.html

Id like to agree with this. I'm in final year law and for the first few days of first year I was kind of worried about what people would think of me for having gone through TAP but nobody cared. The fact is that no matter how you get into Trinity everybody's treated the same way from the day you start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

@ TrollHammaren

The fact that you work a part-time job and managed to succeed at college shows me that you're obviously a hard working and intelligent person. You're not the type of socialist leech that my OP was aimed at.

Re you affirmative action cartoon: It's condescending to minorities to say they need extra help to succeed. It's like admitting they are inferior to you. It also demeans true minority achievement; i.e. success is labeled as result of affirmative action rather than hard work and ability. This "shadow" will hang over each of the students you listed who went on to do MAs and PhDs for the rest of their academic careers. It also creates resentment and bitterness among those who have to work to fund college, those who don't receive grants, bursaries, free grinds classes etc
    Let me ask you, have you ever even been to a working class area?
    What a ridiculous question. How do you know that I'm not "working class"? Ironically so called working class people nowadays don't work. It's an outdated term that orginates from a time before social welfare payments, where urban dwellers worked in the factories and the mines. Furthermore, you'll find it's often irritating middle class snobs that are the biggest advocates of leftie policies like affirmative action and TAP. It makes them feel superior by thinking that the poor folk couldn't succeed without their help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Are you Fo Real??

get a grip man

Re you affirmative action cartoon: It's condescending to minorities to say they need extra help to succeed. It's like admitting they are inferior to you. It also demeans true minority achievement; i.e. success is labeled as result of affirmative action rather than hard work and ability.

Do you really think that the success of a middle-class person is due solely to their own ability rather than the privilege they have?

Here are some personal examples:

- I'm good with computers because my parents could afford one from when I was very young, and I've therefore been using them my entire life. (http://geekfeminism.org/2010/07/27/if-you-were-hacking-since-age-8-it-means-you-were-privileged/)

- I've been reading from a very early age, in part because my parents had a lot of books, could afford to buy me books, and could afford to take time to read to me and teach me to read myself.

- I went to a private school with a high rate of university acceptance, a low student-teacher ratio, and a whole host of facilities and extracurriculars because my parents could afford it.

- I did very well in my Leaving Cert not least because my parents suggested I get grinds at the Institute and offered to pay for them. I suspect I wouldn't have had the points to change course later on in college if I hadn't taken those grinds.

- My parents both attended college, and both came from families that valued education very highly, and were therefore very supportive of my going to college: it was pretty much expected.

- When I changed course, my parents were able to help me with the fees for the years I had to repeat. Without their assistance, I would have had to drop out of college.

- Similarly, when I wasn't able to get part-time work of any kind for a long time, my parents were able to help me out with an allowance for college. Again, I wouldn't have been able to finish college without that.

- Some of the best jobs I've ever gotten (from a CV perspective) were only possible because in the first place my parents knew someone who was willing to give me an opportunity at work experience, which turned into being asked to come back repeatedly later.

Those are just a few examples from my own life. Does that mean I'm undeserving of everything I've ever had? Does it mean that what I've achieved has nothing to do with my own skills and abilities? No. I did well and was able to take advantage of my many opportunities because I was gifted, and willing to put in the work. But I'm not nearly arrogant enough to think that the massive advantages I've received from my background had nothing to do with it.

Also, a corollary to TrollHammaren's picture:

racism.jpg

@ TrollHammaren

The fact that you work a part-time job and managed to succeed at college shows me that you're obviously a hard working and intelligent person. You're not the type of socialist leech that my OP was aimed at.

Statements like these do nothing to endear me towards you, OP. For one, you clearly don't understand what the word "socialist" means, but that's beside the point. I thought my previous posts indicated that TAP students are, in fact, extremely hard working and in many cases have to work much harder than people from middle-class backgrounds to succeed. The funny thing is that almost if not all my TAP friends work (I can't think of any who don't), and a good chunk of my middle-class friends don't (which I don't hold against them - education has to come first), so your original post seems to be directed towards a group that is largely non-existent.

The funniest part, I consistently vote for Socialist candidates in elections :D
    Re you affirmative action cartoon: It's condescending to minorities to say they need extra help to succeed. It's like admitting they are inferior to you.

Now you're just being silly. Look at it in the context of American social policy. It's no secret that middle-class, white Americans are born with a significant advantage (just like here). The black kid in the picture needs help getting into university not because he's not a member of the "master race", but because he can't afford the 50K plus a year tuition fees. I shouldn't have to explain these pictures to you. Maybe this would be more fitting?

affirmative-action_cartoon.gif?w=450&h=326
    It also demeans true minority achievement; i.e. success is labeled as result of affirmative action rather than hard work and ability. This "shadow" will hang over each of the students you listed who went on to do MAs and PhDs for the rest of their academic careers

That's one of the great things about Trinity, very few people have that appalling attitude. Most of my fellow students were indifferent to my TAP status, and some of my interviewers in college were actually impressed with my TAP status, as it indicates that I managed to succeed in college despite overwhelming social and economic adversary. Your "shadow" opinion is very much in the minority, as most people are very aware that TAP students who succeed do it exclusively by their own merits.
    It also creates resentment and bitterness among those who have to work to fund college, those who don't receive grants, bursaries, free grinds classes etc

Are you saying we don't have to work? Even though everything I've said so far has indicated otherwise? The reason I get a grant and a small bursary is because I can't live off €6'000 a year without sleeping on the streets. I still have to work, just like the rest of my TAP friends. We also don't receive free grinds. We may be able to apply for a few classes (like 3 or 4) if they have the funding, but so can disability students. Also, even if you're not a TAP student you can apply to the student hardship fund. The reason we get this is because any other middle-class student's parents are in a much better position to pay for grinds than we are. The truth is that you have absolutely no reason to be bitter.
    What a ridiculous question. How do you know that I'm not "working class"?

Because your opinions are very, very indicative of someone who has been spoilt and doesn't recognise their privilege. Either that, or you're Bill Cullen :p
    Ironically so called working class people nowadays don't work.

Are you fo' real?
    It's an outdated term that orginates from a time before social welfare payments, where urban dwellers worked in the factories and the mines.

I know where the name came from, and I couldn't care less. You're not making any point here. The fact is that "working class" is just a handy term to describe people from poorer socio-economic backgrounds. Either way, I'm not interested in getting into this.
    Furthermore, you'll find it's often irritating middle class snobs that are the biggest advocates of leftie policies like affirmative action and TAP. It makes them feel superior by thinking that the poor folk couldn't succeed without their help.

Such a cynical view of the middle-class lefties. A good chunk of my friends are lefties and their backgrounds range from poor to wealthy, but that doesn't matter. Regardless of class, all the lefties I know believe in left wing policies because they're acutely aware of the social injustices that permeate Irish society. Stop making unfounded claims.

That's one of the great things about Trinity, very few people have that appalling attitude. Most of my fellow students were indifferent to my TAP status, and some of my interviewers in college were actually impressed with my TAP status, as it indicates that I managed to succeed in college despite overwhelming social and economic adversary. Your "shadow" opinion is very much in the minority, as most people are very aware that TAP students who succeed do it exclusively by their own merits.

My main worry is that a lot of TAP students or potential TAP students don't realise this. I've worked with TAP tutoring and on Shadowing Day for years, and I remember a bunch of young girls asking me nervously if people in Trinity would hold their background and accents against them if they got in.

When people perceive prejudice like this exists, it's often just as bad as it actually existing - it doesn't have to be in the majority to influence people. It's entirely possible that if those girls hadn't asked me about that and if I and others hadn't been able to assuage those worries, that worry of theirs would have been a factor in their decision of whether they felt they could attend Trinity. Also, it's why I empathise with TrollHammaren's worry that this thread will perpetuate that sort of worry.

I don't know if the Access Programme addresses this sort of worry directly in their work with foundation year students, but I really hope they do. TrollHammaren, do you know?

The reason we get this is because any other middle-class student's parents are in a much better position to pay for grinds than we are.

I should actually amend this because I'm not being fair here. I should say that most middle class families are in a better position to pay for grinds, but I do appreciate that this isn't always the case.
    My main worry is that a lot of TAP students or potential TAP students don't realise this. I've worked with TAP tutoring and on Shadowing Day for years, and I remember a bunch of young girls asking me nervously if people in Trinity would hold their background and accents against them if they got in.

When people perceive prejudice like this exists, it's often just as bad as it actually existing - it doesn't have to be in the majority to influence people. It's entirely possible that if those girls hadn't asked me about that and if I and others hadn't been able to assuage those worries, that worry of theirs would have been a factor in their decision of whether they felt they could attend Trinity. Also, it's why I empathise with TrollHammaren's worry that this thread will perpetuate that sort of worry.

I don't know if the Access Programme addresses this sort of worry directly in their work with foundation year students, but I really hope they do. TrollHammaren, do you know?

I don't know if it's explicitly assuaged by the course directors, but I do feel that the voluntary involvement of non-TAP students in shadowing days does absolute wonders for the prospective students' confidence. Further, many current TAP students give talks to potential applicants and it's one of the questions that's frequently asked, and most TAP students will preemptively answer it.

I did come into Trinity with a slightly cautious attitude, and figured that most of my friends would be fellow TAP students, as we were all introduced to each other the week before Freshers' week. However, within a few weeks of interacting with my fellow psychology students I found that the overwhelming majority of them were great people, and I have made a number of what I believe will be friends for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭KH25

I've done a few shadowing days and been asked the same question. I always gave the answer that I'd never met anybody who looked down on me over it and that they shouldn't look at doing TAP as something to be kept quiet. The fact that they're doing the program shows how much they want to get into Trinity and for those who eventually do get in its the result of a year of hard work. When I was in the program it was never really adressed by the teachers but at the same time there was never an atmosphere of being 'different'. We were all just treated as prospective students, the same as anybody else trying to get in be it through HEAR, TAP, CAO or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Anyone who isn't TrollHammaren should probably skip this post, it's just showing him how he is wrong so he doesn't make any embarrassing gaffes when acting as a TAP Ambassador.
    Please stop arguing against points I didn't make. If you go for direct entry to university as a TAP student you don't get in on reduced points. The HEAR programme is connected with specific schools, so one school might be a TCD school, another a UCD etc. Either way, one can still apply for the foundation course, and this doesn't get you in on "reduced points", it just means you're assessed on different criteria.
    Please stop making points and then claiming I'm making arguments against points you did not make.

You claimed that TAP allowed entry to TCD via both direct entry with no points reduction, and via an Access course and that both these were seperate from HEAR.

You said that.
    That's completely wrong, I showed you, and instead of accepting you were wrong you decided to bull**** and attack me.

1)You claimed the TAP programme was distinct from HEAR, and then described the part of the TAP programme which is actually HEAR. HEAR in TCD is run and administered by the TAP office.
    2)Students are only eligible for TAP status if they apply through the HEAR, or through the foundation course. There is no TAP direct entry via CAO points aside from HEAR. There is no mythical third option that you keep claiming.

So what's your point? A TAP student has to submit the exact same financial documentation to their local authority as anyone else and they're assessed in exactly the same way. As a matter of fact, it was harder for me as I had to prove I was abandoned by my parents when I was a teenager. Of course someone who gets into a programme designed for people from poor socio-economic backgrounds is going to be accepted for a grant designed for people with low incomes - what about it?
    Exactly, what about it? I pointed out that in my experience of HEAR students, every single one was receiving the top-up grant. I also pointed out the existence of the SAF. And I also said
    Funding for Mature Students/'Poor' Students...actually, funding for students full stop has always been a joke. Zero fairness and a distinct lack of transparency in it.
    So why are you trying to attack me over it?

Or maybe TCD has failed you in your development of reading comprehension skills. Try reading again. If this starts getting personal, though, I'll refuse to engage with you.
    I'm not the one who lacks comprehension skills. I'm also not the one who lacks the ability to know when wrong when contradicting the TCD TAP website, or the one who gets bitchy when wrong.

You are a TAP ambassador(according to your own words).
    You know **** all about the eligibility of TAP.
    What's your problem with my factual statement? Dude, seriously, I'm sorry my knowing more about non-traditional entry to TCD offends you, but jaysus - get over it.

PS: I think if you look up the meaning of "engaging with someone", pretending you didn't write something you actually did and then attacking someone for pointing out your factual errors and commenting on your lack of knowledge doesn't count.

To conclude:
    Access Courses/Mature Student Entry has been proven to be a big success in both graduation rates, and grades achieved in any college that has published stats on it in Ireland. The social cost of it is far outweighed by the social benefit. HEAR is different, and unfortunately I've yet to see any even brief studies on the relative successes/failures of HEAR students as compared to normal direct entry students. College grant/assistance schemes are imho, deeply flawed and need vast overhauls as too many people(from many socio-economic backgrounds) get money they don't need while too many people don't get the money they do need.
    Don't try portray me as Denerick or Fo'Real, I wouldn't be in TCD if it wasn't for alternative entry. That just makes me a little bit more qualified to judge it than those two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

This 'bhur' guy is hilarious.

Advertisement