Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People are making a lot of money out of conspiracy theories

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭33

who funds the BBC?

The Establishment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

autonomy wrote: »
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article3257748.ece

It receives large (millions) loans and grants, and the BBC refused to say what rates the EU-backed EIB was charging on the loans
    Thanks for the link. :)

Just to put the €140,000,000 odd in loans from the EIB in context, here's the BBC's total budget:
    • £3,493.8 million in licence fees collected from householders;
    • £775.9 million from BBC Commercial Businesses;
    • £294.6 million from government grants;
    • £41.1 million from other income, such as providing content to overseas broadcasters and concert ticket sales;

I make that to be something like €5,200,000,000.

So 140 million compared to 5.2 billion. If we say that the low interest on the loans (say the difference between charging 3% instead of 6% interest) constitutes the 'bribe' here (seeing as the loan must still be repaid) it comes to a grand total of something like €4 million based on back-of-the envelope calculations.

Whether a .08% of total income bribe would be sufficient to shift BBC policy, I'll let the reader decide. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

The British taxpayer. It's independent of the government, as far as I'm aware? The BBC has a slight leftish leaning - it will be interesting to see if it can keep it up under a right-ish government. I bet it can.

Would politely disagree with you there Monty. As far as i'm aware, it's not independent of the govt/establishment/elite; it's been one of the biggest mouthpieces for U.S/U.K imperialism for many years. It certainly doesn't have a good track record on Iraq for instance and thats putting it mildly...
    You've probably seen this but will stick it up anyways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y3wuRjwMCQ

Some people can slag off all content of Russia Today and in the same breath they maintain the BBC is totally unbiased:o (not aimed at you Monty).
    I haven't watched it in years though so can't comment on whether it is leaning anywhere as you say.

Advertisement