Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 24MB NGB Price Reduction?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

I have eircom 24mb NGB, which i think is €69.99 per month

I got a letter today stating that from May 7th 2011, they would like to reward my loyalty by giving me a price drop of €8.17 per month (inc. VAT)

No new contract required, yada yada

has anyone else got this letter?

before anyone says their 24MB is a rob, i would agree, UPC et al are not in my area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I got that letter today as well

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭strongman

I got letter to say I was a loyal customer also. This is an improvment from Eircom. In the past you had to ring them to tell them you were entitled to reduction. Glad to see they are changing their old ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I got it too. Welcome of course. But I'd head straight to UPC if they cables more than 5 houses in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was on the NGB Advanced (up to 8Mb but getting 7Mb) but got a letter today saying they're upgrading me to NGB Ultimate (up to 24Mb ADSL2+ but I'm likely to get 9Mb) for free.

I had an outage a couple of weeks ago when (apparently) they were upgrading the exchange and my line stats changed (slightly for the better) so I assume that was them upgrading me to an ADSL2+ line card. No sign of the increased speed yet, and I'm still syncing at ADSL1 at the moment, so I'll give it a few days and then poke them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So it begins already.

I predicted that Eircom would make their "upto" 24MB/s service the standard speed now that UPC's entry level speed is 25MB/s and up to 100MB/s for lot less then Eircom.

People who have received this letter, can you tell us what package and cap you are currently on?

Interested to see if they are only upgrading the top 8MB/s customers or all 8MB/s customers and I'd also be interested to see what the cap is on the upgraded 24MB/s product.

• Advertisement

The cap on NGB Ultimate is quoted as Unlimited* [*Subject to a fair usage policy] in my letter.

They're sending me a new modem / router as well, not that I need it.

I was on the NGB Advanced and got the letter this morning. They're rewarding my loyalty apparently. :rolleyes: I get the full 8mb speed at the moment. Is there any way to determine what speed I am likely to get with the upgrade? The letter said to expect up to 12mb which is a little disappointing. The letter also said they would be sending me out a new modem if needed.

I was on the NGB Advanced and got the letter this morning. They're rewarding my loyalty apparently. I get the full 8mb speed at the moment. Is there any way to determine what speed I am likely to get with the upgrade? The letter said to expect up to 12mb which is a little disappointing. The letter also said they would be sending me out a new modem if needed.
    You'll only get the full 24Mb if you're very close to the exchange. What are your line stats at the moment?

Alun wrote: »
    You'll only get the full 24Mb if you're very close to the exchange. What are your line stats at the moment?

Down Up
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8160 512
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 24.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.50 13.00

The first figure is downstream and the second is upstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Alun wrote: »
    I was on the NGB Advanced (up to 8Mb but getting 7Mb) but got a letter today saying they're upgrading me to NGB Ultimate (up to 24Mb ADSL2+ but I'm likely to get 9Mb) for free.

Did it state in the letter if your "upto 24mb" will be subject to a contract?

They offered me the same deal over the phone a few weeks ago but made it subject to a 12 month contract.

They also sent me the new modem but insisted I return my fully functional netopia to them via the same courier that delivered the new zyxel modem. The deliveryman was adamant he couldn't leave me the zyxel modem without taking the netopia. The zyxel is awful. I had to buy a new modem. Don't give up your netopia!

• Advertisement

Did it state in the letter if your "upto 24mb" will be subject to a contract?

They offered me the same deal over the phone a few weeks ago but made it subject to a 12 month contract.

They also sent me the new modem but insisted I return my fully functional netopia to them via the same courier that delivered the new zyxel modem. The deliveryman was adamant he couldn't leave me the zyxel modem without taking the netopia. The zyxel is awful. I had to buy a new modem. Don't give up your netopia!

My letter said there was no new contract.

Down Up
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8160 512
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 24.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 27.50 13.00

The first figure is downstream and the second is upstream.
    The online speed estimators like http://www.farina1.com/adsl/default.aspx or http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php say you should get 17-18Mbps with those figures. Maybe they're being a bit conservative to avoid disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

hang on a second, so u guys on the 8mb advanced are being upgraded to up to 24mb for free and are also getting €8.17 off, which would mean your paying substancially less than someone currently paying the €69.99 for 24mb ultimate?

BArra wrote: »
    hang on a second, so u guys on the 8mb advanced are being upgraded to up to 24mb for free and are also getting €8.17 off, which would mean your paying substancially less than someone currently paying the €69.99 for 24mb ultimate?
    Nope, the OP was on 24Mb already and has received a price reduction. Others, such as myself were on NGB Advanced 8Mb and are getting upgraded to NGB Ultimate 24Mb for free.

ah right sorry, i checked out the prices on the eircom site, it brings everything in line re; pricing

lets hope all this extra bandwidth being spread out doesnt bring a load of congestion to the forefront

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I wonder how long it will take eircom to get ADSL+ and NGB rolled out to all exchanges though?

Their progress hasn't been spectacularly fast.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Solair wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take eircom to get ADSL+ and NGB rolled out to all exchanges though?

Their progress hasn't been spectacularly fast.

I assume they will focus on exchanges where they face competition from UPC first.

They could also sell all products as "upto" 24Mb/s, even where most people only have ADSL.

its down to the population of the town you live in whether or not its capable of 24mb broadband

my local exchange was 24mb capable before NGB was around

There was an outage here in Limerick last Tuesday. When I rang tech support they said they were upgrading the speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

24mbit/s is supported by ADSL2+ equipment.

NGB is more about backhaul upgrades to give the local exchanges a lot more broadband capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

Thought after the first read of the letter that there would be some strings attached, glad to hear at least it seems thats not the case.

I'm currently on 8MB too and get the full download speed, but does everyone only get ~55kb/s upload on this package like I do?

It's been annoying me because I have to upload Android ROM .zips fairly regularly and it takes maybe 20 minutes to do so each time, even though the package is generally only around 69MB in size.

ur upload will go up to 765kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I got my letter today but I think it is different. I am on NGB Advanced 8 Meg and unlimited (250GB) cap. My letter says:

Price drop on your Next Generation Broadband service.

Great news. As a valued eircom customer we want to reward your loyalty by giving you a price drop on your NGB service of €9.83 per month (inc vat).

No new contract etc.

Speeds up to 8 Mb etc

Your price reduction will be implemented over the next few weeks. Please also note the name change of the broadband service you are on from NGB Advanced to NGB Regular.

So no speed increase (Dundalk exchange not enabled for 24 Meg) but price reduction and name change. When I went to the eircom site the changes are there but surprisingly when I entered my phone number the 24 Meg option is there which it wasn't whenever I checked previously. I must ring and ask them is it available in Dundalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I got my letter today but I think it is different. I am on NGB Advanced 8 Meg and unlimited (250GB) cap. My letter says:

Price drop on your Next Generation Broadband service.

Great news. As a valued eircom customer we want to reward your loyalty by giving you a price drop on your NGB service of €9.83 per month (inc vat).

No new contract etc.

Speeds up to 8 Mb etc

Your price reduction will be implemented over the next few weeks. Please also note the name change of the broadband service you are on from NGB Advanced to NGB Regular.

So no speed increase (Dundalk exchange not enabled for 24 Meg) but price reduction and name change. When I went to the eircom site the changes are there but surprisingly when I entered my phone number the 24 Meg option is there which it wasn't whenever I checked previously. I must ring and ask them is it available in Dundalk now.

dxhound2005 you might want to edit the link above as it displays your telephone number. The link you supplied shows your line can handle 6144kb.

I got the same letter today. I don't want a discount, I want faster broadband, I'm on 3mb but choose the NGB advanced due to the higher cap. The sooner UPC come my way the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Thanks DonJose. When I opened the link I could not see the number but I removed it anyway.

It looks like Eircom is adjusting their products to try and compete with UPC.

The previous 8Mb/s 30GB cap product is gone.

8Mb/s top now has a 250GB AUP and price drop to €51.78

24Mb/s has a price drop to €61.78

Still too little, too late, IMO.

It also looks like Vodafone will need to adjust their caps up and prices down to remain competitive with Eircom (never mind UPC).

Eircom 24Mb/s now 25 cent cheaper then Vodafone (ok not much of a difference, but Vodafone need a big gap to attract people away from Eircom) and Vodafone 8Mb/s has only a 120GB cap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bk wrote: »
    It is, UPC are hammering eircom in the cities and eircom canot go beyond 24mbits seeing as they have no money to cabinetise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

bk wrote: »
    It looks like Eircom is adjusting their products to try and compete with UPC.

The previous 8Mb/s 30GB cap product is gone.

8Mb/s top now has a 250GB AUP and price drop to €51.78

24Mb/s has a price drop to €61.78

It also looks like Vodafone will need to adjust their caps up and prices down to remain competitive with Eircom (never mind UPC).

Eircom 24Mb/s now 25 cent cheaper then Vodafone (ok not much of a difference, but Vodafone need a big gap to attract people away from Eircom) and Vodafone 8Mb/s has only a 120GB cap.

Sorry to annoy you with questions but I had a scout around and couldn't see this announced anywhere. We have 8mb NGB (in Carlow) and I don't think we've gotten a letter to that effect. Am I right in saying we'll now have a much higher download allowance, or is it only to customers who they contact?

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I got this letter last week, bumping me from 8Mb to the 24MB package. NGB only got enabled here in this part of Cork this month. I was initially under the impression that our exchange was not going to be getting the 24MB upgrade but looks like I was wrong.

The letter itself says I can expect up to 16MB, and the usual line estimation sites predict on average about 19.5MB, so I would say Eircom is erring on the side of caution.

It'll be a welcome upgrade, but I'm still envious of UPC's upload speeds and data caps.

• Advertisement

brophs wrote: »
    Sorry to annoy you with questions but I had a scout around and couldn't see this announced anywhere. We have 8mb NGB (in Carlow) and I don't think we've gotten a letter to that effect. Am I right in saying we'll now have a much higher download allowance, or is it only to customers who they contact?

To be honest I don't know, you could ring Eircom sales and ask.

However I'd guess they are making these adjustments to every ones packages.

Advertisement