Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Scoreboard App

Options
  • 05-05-2011 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Following a suggestion over on this thread I put together a GAA Scoreboard App. It should be useful for the smaller matches where there's no scoreboard on the pitch.

I haven't put it up on the Market yet until I test it more so it'll require you allow apps from unknown sources when installing.

gaascreen.png

Feedback and comments welcome! Haven't seen it running on anything different to HTC Desire so would like to see how it fits on the likes of a Wildfire or similar screen.

Joe

EDIT: Download code removed as it's now available on the Market. Visit site or search GAA on the market app on your phone.
    Updated screenshot;
    homescreen_1.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Potential Updates
    1. Have a "Share to Facebook" button to share the score on your facebook profile.

2. Possibly showing the minute each point and goal was scored. Maybe something like: 10, 12, (13), 16, 32
    (goal in brackets)
    Useful feature?

3. An Irish/English option.

Other suggestions...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I have no interest in this particular app, sorry :p but I think it's great to see people making their own, to meet a need, and sharing them. ;)

BTW Did you use app inventor, or the SDK?

JustinOval wrote: »
    BTW Did you use app inventor, or the SDK?

I used App Inventor for this. I've developed apps on the SDK too but this was much quicker to throw together on app inventor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Possibly a match timer.

Inputting team names beforehand.

Use GPS to get the location of the pitch.

Share via Twitter also.

BTW as I am in London, I would not be able to use this app often but my father would absolutely love this.

EDIT: Also, how about allowing the use of hardware buttons as input so that you don't need to unlock your phone everytime to update. Or a lock screen option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

^^ Share via Twitter is a great idea.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    Possibly a match timer.
    That's the timer at the top...? Well, it times the half and can be reset for the second half. How would you want the match timer to work? Button to pause for halftime and resume for the 2nd half?

I have it turning red after 35mins but I've just realised that only applies to inter-county games (not actually a GAA follower). So that'll need to be changed.

Will include twitter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

foto joe wrote: »
    How would you want the match timer to work?

Sorry, at work, so can't see the screenshots.

As you said, just a simple timer that turns red at 35 minutes. Though I wouldn't reset it at half time, just continue it from there.

Can't remember but I think some underage play for shorter halves so that could also be an option.

Otacon wrote: »
    Sorry, at work, so can't see the screenshots.

Point your mobile browser to bit.ly/jirJCF and the app should download.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

This is excellent. Its got me thinking. Update to twitter is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Periodic updates to twitter would be cool. Every 5 mins the score gets updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

I think the times of the scores would be nice too.

Good talking point for lads i.e. we are ten minutes without a score etc.

More advanced would be for team mentors where you could put in the jersey number of the scorer and the position on the pitch the point was kicked from. You could also have the option of a count for wides fouls. Those are more for team statisticians.

Seems like a strong demand for Twitter, and on reflection it's a perfect tool for sharing pitch-side match updates. :)

I've now added Twitter. Update by downloading again (same link as before).

devicetweet1.png

It opens the twitter web page with the score entered ready to tweet.

EDIT: Twitter now embedded into the app. :cool: Authorise the app once and tweet updates from within the app. When I get a chance I'll add a preview page to allow edits to the status before sending.

When I get time I'll do some work on the match timer and include the current time, or if it's final result, in the tweet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Was unable to download this on a Samsung Europa last night. Scanned the code and went to the link you provided and got a page of garbled text.

Can you try again now? There was a small problem with replacing the old file with the new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I like it....

Had to open the link on the My Laptop and then download the APK to the phone.

Works well so far. I like the tweeting integration.
    Might be an Idea to add the time gone to the tweet also.

any chance you could post the twitter blocks? so I can see how it works...

Just thinking out loud now.

The Premiership and other sports have apps, that actively go and check for a score every 2 minutes or so, and make a sound alerting the user of a score.

I wonder if you could come up with something similar here, especially for local games. Where, as a user, I could log in before the match starts and see if anyone has volunteered to report on the match between Ballygobackwards and Bally Rovers.

If someone is going to do it, I could subscribe to the game and be notifed as scores occur. While continuing to work in the office.

In the current age of immigration, you have something excellent here. Everyone can track and watch the big games. But you are going to allow people in Australia get live updates of Junior B and all those games that we never hear about, or get a text message after its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

sgarvan wrote: »
    Was unable to download this on a Samsung Europa last night. Scanned the code and went to the link you provided and got a page of garbled text.

Love the app but have the same problem as above: page of garbled text. Im using a Samsung Galaxy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

You could put this on the GAA forum as well as I am sure that it will be appreciated there.

carter10 wrote: »
    Love the app but have the same problem as above: page of garbled text. Im using a Samsung Galaxy

Samsungs mustn't be able to download a .apk directly. I'll have it on the Market soon. Otherwise try download to PC, transfer to phone/sd-card and use a file browsing app to select it and install.
    neacy69 wrote: »
    any chance you could post the twitter blocks? so I can see how it works...

Here you go.

You need to register your app in twitter development site first to get api keys etc. I've also called check-authorisation on screen initialisation, so if it's pre-approved from before it'll change the button from "Setup Twitter" to "Tweet Score" while the splash screen is running.

blocks.gif

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    You could put this on the GAA forum as well as I am sure that it will be appreciated there.

I posted a thread over there too, sending them over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Convert this for iOS and I'll buy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭shmeee

Great app... Works on my Samsung Galaxy S without any problems...

A share to facebook option would be very handy too..

I had to copy the file across directly from pc to phone as the phone could not download it directly...

Download here : http://bit.ly/jirJCF

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

This may be a stupid question but is this available for iphone 3g?

No, just Android at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Great app you should definitely try and get this up o the market and for iOS. Money to be made for your efforts!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Excellent effort Foto Joe. Works well on my Desire HD.

Posting to twitter works a charm. It might be a good idea to optionally include the current time in the tweets or better again allow the user to edit the tweet template themselves.

The 'Reset Clock' button doesn't seem to work as the clock keeps ticking but pressing it changes the button to be 'Start Clock' and selecting this restarts the clock again.

Also when I exit the app and return the clock has not been reset but the team names/scores have. Would it possible to keep team names and scores?

Thanks all for the suggests.

Will have an update tonight with quite a few changes and bug fixes. Have to structure the match timer a bit better then will be able to have a list of minutes for each point/goal as well as giving match time or confirmed result in the twitter update. Will be including some match stats. Custom twitter updates will be a future option as well.

Will be busy for the next few hrs doing an internet programming exam!

If anyone can send me screenshots from different devices that'd be great, although I know you need to be either setup with the sdk or have rooted your device for that (don't get why it's not made simple).

• Advertisement

foto joe wrote: »
    Will be busy for the next few hrs doing an internet programming exam!

Good luck!!!

Advertisement