Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of combos in fighting games?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I wouldn't call stuff like mixing people up with universal overheads part of footsies, I think that sort of close range mixup is a separate element of the game.

I think of footsies more as poking, counterpoking, whiff punishing, trying to keep your ground midscreen and push the other guy into the corner, that sort of thing.

I just think UOH make people go back and forth, trying to poke each other out and cancel into a super, where as without UOH, u can just sit down and block

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I definitely think it's a really cool thing to have in the game, feels awesome hitconfirming a meaty uoh into super or DP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I really dislike the dial a combo feel of the new MK, where you input 3 commands dial a combo style.

Thats not quite true. Maybe for noobs but after an hour with the game you begin to understand the dynamics of combo's. MK has combo breakers.

You can burn a stock of EX metre to combo break. Kind of like FADC. Okay, you will miss out on metre, but your opponent did 10% damage instead of 40%.

MK9 is nowhere near SSF4. It's not even close. But its not merely dial a combo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats not quite true. Maybe for noobs but after an hour with the game you begin to understand the dynamics of combo's. MK has combo breakers.

You can burn a stock of EX metre to combo break. Kind of like FADC. Okay, you will miss out on metre, but your opponent did 10% damage instead of 40%.

MK9 is nowhere near SSF4. It's not even close. But its not merely dial a combo.

That doesn't change the fact you input combos dial a combo style, quick as possible. It doesn't feel fun or natural.

I am well aware thats not the be all to comboing in MK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Personally, like a lot of others, I think SSF4 has a pretty good balance. It takes skill to do most of the longer combos so not everyone is able to bash them out without a second thought.

I enjoy Marvel for a mess around but I just don't have the ability to pull off character killing combos.

I've tried my hand at BB:CT & CS but just can't really get to grips with it and find it disheartening when I'm stuck watching someone force themselves on me with 20 and 30 hit combos.

For me, SSF4 has it as close to right as I've experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ogiekeaney

I really admire some of the long fadc combos in ssf4 cos it takes alot of skill to pull off. However, having to watch a 20 second easy peasy dante combo in mvc3 because of lag is just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Combos are swell

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Link combos over chain combos for me too, links are more satisfying to pull off for me, chain combos feel like their for kids :D

Link combos are good i agree. I feel great whenever I pull a combo in ssf4 :D But i don't think chain combos are easy. If you can pull off all ssf4 challenges and bb challenges then you can say it.

Not going to lie, I can only do a few of ssf4 trials like 4-5 ppl. Also some of Blazblue. I think both are viable ways to do combos. I will agree links are harder (not that much) ssf4 is focus on footsie,throws,knock down/wake up etc
    Think it was doom who told me, if akuma knocked guile down it was all over him or something.

But chain combos in blazblue are not for kids in my opinion especially the advance ones. Yeah mk9 combos seem a bit to easy :p

Advertisement