Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round 04: Turkish Grand Prix

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Formula 1 returns to its European heartland this weekend with the Istanbul Park Circuit playing host to round four of the 2011 season.

With the initial “fly-away” races completed a picture has started to develop of what to expect throughout the year but that picture could change dramatically over the coming weeks with the “ground war” set to begin.

The Istanbul Park Circuit

turkey.png
    The Istanbul Park Circuit is a rarity-a Herman Tilke designed circuit that is loved by fans and drivers. While many “Tilke-tracks” have gained a reputation as dull and featureless the Turkish track has received unanimous praise.

Much of the reason for this praise centres on the exhilarating Turn 8 complex but the entire lap is challenging.

The first corner is an off camber left hander where the track falls away from drivers on the exit before leading immediately into turn two. This opening sequence of corners has led to numerous first lap crashes in races and with 24 drivers vying for space on Sunday this weekend’s race should be no exception!

The Turn 3, 4 and 5 complex is a challenging slow speed section where finding the right line can lead to a very fast opening sector but once drivers leave this series of corners their attention starts to drift to Turn 8.

The triple apex left hander has gained a reputation as one of the true tests for a Grand Prix driver. Measuring in at 640m and with 5G loads through the car and driver it is clear why this corner has become known as a test of precision, nerve and ability for the world’s best drivers. The minimum speed through the corner is 260 km/h and drivers spend over eight seconds navigating the complex.

Speaking about the circuit it is clear that Mark Webber loves the challenge of taking on turn 8:

“I like Istanbul Park - there are a lot of undulations” said the Australian, “which makes the track a little bit more challenging in places. The circuit includes Turn 8, which is a very, very long corner with multiple apexes and is very high speed, which puts added strain on the tyres and the drivers' necks. It's also a corner that rewards accuracy with your racing line if you get it right early in the corner.”

Even though Turn 8 gets the majority of attention the task is far from over for drivers once they are clear of the corner. Turn 9, a slow second gear corner, is of far more importance to the overall laptime because it leads on to the long back straight. Drivers will be utilising KERS on the exit of this corner once they are no longer traction limited.

Lewis Hamilton, last year’s winner in Turkey spoke on the challenges of the slower corners:

“Of course, everyone talks about Turn Eight, which is a fantastic corner, but I also love late-braking into Turns Nine and 12, because you can get the car into the corner while still carrying quite a bit of speed; and getting it right is really satisfying.”

What are the main talking points ahead of this weekend?

Last week news spread of the uncertain future of the Turkish Grand Prix with Bernie Ecclestone looking for a vast increase in staging fees if Turkey is to continue hosting Formula 1 in future years.

The organisers have been tasked with doubling their fee to $26 million and they are obviously sceptical of the benefits of a race that does not even manage to break even at present. Attendances are poor at the circuit each year with crowd sizes falling below 40,000 in the last two years. As a result it is very difficult to see how Turkey can justify an event that fails to attract tourists to the city.

It will be interesting to see the attendance figures this weekend as another poor showing would make it all but inevitable that this will be the last race at this majestic circuit.

The terrible start to the season at Williams has led to a massive internal shakeup at the team. Technical Director, Sam Michael, will leave the team at the end of the season having agreed not to renew his contract.

The Australian is very highly regarded within the Formula 1 community and while his initial years with Williams were quite successful the team has been in a downward spiral since losing BMW engines in 2006. After performing well last year it was expected that they would continue to build on their potential and much was expected of the new car.

It’s failures on track left the team with little choice but to make drastic changes and ultimately the buck stopped at Michael’s door. He will be replaced by Tom Coughlan.

Coughlin will return to the sport after spending recent years in exile following a two year ban for his involvement in the Spy Gate scandal of 2007 when he was the chief designer for McLaren. This is a risky move by Williams but it shows the ambitions of the squad.

It would be impossible for Formula 1 to return to Turkey without thoughts turning to last year’s clash between Webber and Sebastian Vettel. The Red Bull teammates will once more be in prime position to battle at the front of the field but there is little chance of fireworks between the pair again this weekend.

The main battle will, once again, be fought out between Red Bull and McLaren with this weekend’s race set to give a great insight into what to expect in the initial European races. All the teams will bring the fruits of their work for the last month to Turkey and how these parts work is crucial for how the championship will develop.

Formula 1 2011 revolves on tyres

The key factor in performance in 2011 is quite clearly the Pirelli tyres. If a driver can maintain tyre life he can gain a huge advantage but if a driver can avail of fresher rubber for the majority of the race, as Webber did in China, the advantage is such that they can overtake with ease and move through the field unchallenged.

Speaking of the challenges facing the Italian tyre manufacturer Paul Hembery said:

"Turkey is one of the most important events of the year for us, as we have had our production facility at Izmit for more than 50 years now. As well as hosting some very important guests this weekend, we're also looking forward to what should be a spectacular race on a stunning circuit.

"Istanbul Park should provide the tyres with one of their toughest tests of the year, because of the high-speed corners, abrasive and bumpy surfaces, and huge forces that act on the cars. The fearsome reputation of Turn Eight is in every way justified, and this should contribute to relatively high levels of tyre wear.

"I expect us to see three pit stops per car, but of course it will depend on the individual strategies that the teams choose to adopt, which have become an important feature of the races so far. While temperatures in Turkey are normally warm, the initial forecasts that we have received suggest slightly cooler conditions than usual, so I think we're all in for another very intriguing and exciting weekend."

What to expect this weekend

Even though the results show that Red Bull is still awaiting its first Turkish Grand Prix victory there is little doubt that the fastest car at Istanbul in recent years has hailed from Milton Keynes.

The collision between Vettel and Webber in 2010 has been discussed in great detail for the last year and overshadowed the advantage that the pair enjoyed over McLaren throughout the race. The year before a mistake by Vettel on the opening lap let Jenson Button through to take a lead that he would never relinquish.

This year it is crucial for the team to put their ghosts to rest and win this race but McLaren are sure to be strong and if Ferrari’s upgrade package works well they should also be competitive. The Prancing Horse has barely broken out of a canter in qualifying but their race pace is quite competitive.

Mercedes showed signs of improvement in China with both drivers performing well en route to points scoring positions. Their DRS is still proving troublesome but they could be quite competitive this weekend.

Sauber look set for another competitive showing and they should be well placed to take a handful of points ahead of the likes of Force India, Toro Rosso and Williams. The big challenge facing Sauber is whether they can challenge Renault this weekend. Renault started the season in great form but the coming races will be of utmost importance to Renault as they look to develop what is clearly a fast car.

Strategy for the Turkish Grand Prix

As Hembery said three stops is likely to be the norm but this race could allow Sauber to spring a surprise with another alternative strategy. For the first time in his Formula 1 career Sergio Perez will race at a circuit that he has previously raced at and the Mexican could be well placed to score the first points of his career in Turkey.

Pitstops will take in the region of 23 seconds this weekend so if Sauber, or any other midfield team, can make their tyres last for a two stop strategy it is clear that they could be well placed to take advantage of their contrary strategy.

Turkey has generally seen close racing with the average margin for victory just over six seconds. With the Pirelli tyres set to offer a challenge for the leading drivers once more this weekend another close and exciting race is to be expected.
    Istanbul weather forecast

Rain is expected on Friday with the weather improving throughout the weekend. Scattered showers are expected on Sunday but with temperatures of 15C expected it could be a struggle for the track to dry out if there is rain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I wonder if Red Bull have got their kers system sorted out by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

Sheeps wrote: »
    I wonder if Red Bull have got their kers system sorted out by now?

They told BBC F1 that they did. There is an article on it on their site somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Looking forward to seeing how long it takes for anyone to beat the fastest lap in the GP2 race. :pac: Judging from how far off the pace of last year they've been so far in races I wouldn't be too surprised if none of the newer teams beat the fastest GP2 time. If that happens it needs to be seriously looked at tbh, whether it's down to the tyres or not is irrelevant, for F1 cars to be going slower than a support race is a big deal IMO.

GP2, GP3 and Porsche Supercup races will be on Eurosport from 8am on Sunday if anyone's interested. :)

EDIT: As good a place as anywhere for people to notice, 1000km of Spa is on Saturday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Vettel has just destroyed his car in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Alonso fastest in P1, Vettel crashed. The start of a Ferrari resurgence? This is the first time we've seen Vettel put a wheel wrong since he crashed into Button at Spa last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Vettel's Petrov moment below. Its not surprising he lost it, looks like he touched the grass!

Should be good if its wet for Sunday.

There was a lot of spinning off the track in P2 as well. Definitely gonna be an exciting weekend.

Watching FP1 replay and the 5 live lads are talking about the lack of atmosphere etc. in Turkey. IMO they should switch to a later summer date and promote it in Europe. Easy flight away but the kind of thing that many might be able to convince wives etc. to head to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Merc & McLaren sharing the spoils in P2. Don't think we've seen Red Bull stretch their wings (sorry) yet though.

Do ye think Vettel is on his back foot now? I'm hoping he'll prove he's every bit as racey as Hamilton and Alonso on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I thought all that talk about him being on the back foot is a complete load of junk. He is an experience driver and a WC, so he missed a session or two its not the end of the world.

I think the same (back foot is a load of balls). The only doubts in my mind were that he missed the dry running in P2 and may not be as familiar with the car due to upgrades. He has free practice in the morning to overcome that though.

In 2 out of 3 races so far he has qualified multiple tenths ahead of nearest rival.

I want an interesting race so I hope the crash puts him off :p. It wont though. He'll be front row I'd imagine unless he chooses to save some tyres like Hamilton did the last race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I just went to set my UPC to record qualifying but I can't see it being shown on BBC ,there seems to be soccer on? Am I missing something? :mad:

BBC2?

Oh those ARSEHOLES! BBCNI showing some crap about the election.:mad:

It's on BBC 2 England anyway. Pain in the arse for anyone hoping to record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Inbox wrote: »
    I just went to set my UPC to record qualifying but I can't see it being shown on BBC ,there seems to be soccer on? Am I missing something? :mad:
    It's on BBC HD if thats on UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

That Vellel crash was odd. Did he really think he could get away with going on the paint that much coming out of that corner? It seems like a really basic mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Is there anywhere you can watch a replay of Practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

amacachi wrote: »
    Oh those ARSEHOLES! BBCNI showing some crap about the election.:mad:

It's on BBC 2 England anyway. Pain in the arse for anyone hoping to record it.

Praise the lord for Virgin Media!!! Just remembered it has BBC2 England...phew

I hate having to watch the qualifying re-runs, I can never keep myself from checking the result :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Don't forget that quali is an hour earlier this weekend because Turkey is an extra hour ahead of the rest of the European venues. I had completely forgotten until I checked the times there now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Panic over, I forgot setanta are showing it. Not too bad so :)

frostie500 wrote: »
    Don't forget that quali is an hour earlier this weekend because Turkey is an extra hour ahead of the rest of the European venues. I had completely forgotten until I checked the times there now!

Say what? An hour earlier? Says 11 am start for coverage on BBC2.

Genuinely :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

bbk wrote: »
    That Vellel crash was odd. Did he really think he could get away with going on the paint that much coming out of that corner? It seems like a really basic mistake.

When the crash happened I got the opportunity to watch many replays while the session was red flagged. On the in-car shot it looks like Vettle's car hit a slight bump after the 4th apex of Turn 8 and sent the car a little wide. Once on the paint, any turn inwards towards the track is curtains as you saw! He should have pointed striaght - where's the finger now???.

I will not have to eat my words tomorrow *fingers crossed*

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gah what the hell! Vote 2011 my arse! On UPC so I don't have a red button :mad:

Gah what the hell! Vote 2011 my arse! On UPC so I don't have a red button :mad:

No other channels or anything? BBC2 England is what you need.

Setanta woot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

quali doesnt start till 12 :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Found a website streaming it. Sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Kobayashi out of quali early - no time posted. How does that work with the 107% rule?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Setanta are showing it with the BBC commentary. Weird. Is this something new? I haven't watched Setanta in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Kobayashi out of quali early - no time posted. How does that work with the 107% rule?

because he set a time fast enough earlier in the weekend

• Advertisement

Just missed what DC said about where they're able to activate DRS during the race. I'm assuming it'll be the back straight after turn 11. Anyone catch where DC said the line is?

Advertisement