Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving. Before or after a shower?

Options
  • 04-05-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd ask this after a friend said he shaves after showering.

I always thought it made much more sense to shave before showering, because that way any shaving cream still on your face can be washed off, plus, shaving afterward means the mirror would be fogged up. Or am I just crazy?

Shave before or after showering? 53 votes

Before Showering
    0% 0 votes
    After Showering
    100% 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

After, skin is softer and generally feels a lot nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

After, that way the hairs are softened and the pores are open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

I would say after if you are using blades(softens the hairs for easier shave), before if you are using an electric razor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

After for me. That way all your pores are open and you get a closer shave. Plus I have very sensitive skin and the shower softens my stubble the longer I stay in and so will have a much smoother shave. Only exception is if I have grow a beard for a week, I will get out the old Babyliss trimmer and use that before the shower and then wet shave after.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

in the shower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

trim beard before, shave under my chin and neck area afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

i shave before the shower, just wet your face in hot water first. i use a badger hair shaving brush and natural shaving soap. by applying the soap in circular motion you raise the hairs for a closer shave. it also exfoliates the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Wow, fast replies.

I guess I haven't thought about it enough. I just always found it simpler to shave beforehand. I'll have to give After a go so.

in the shower?
    Theres no mirror in the shower :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Always before... can't stand the foggy mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

That was my thinking. My mirror takes ages to defog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I bathe in the blood spilled from killing my pigs to gently open my pores up,then I use a nice rusty blade for that close shave sensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I'm just impressed no one has tried to be funny yet by posting Patrick Bateman's morning routine...

I shave before, using a badger brush and aloe vera shaving soap so I don't really worry about opening up the pores etc.

Plus, I've found having a hot shower afterwards prevents any shaving related spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Before. I know that I'd probably get a closer shave if I left it until after my shower, but it really wouldn't be worth all the extra nicks I'd get because I couldn't see my reflection through the fog on the mirror.

Easiest solution to this problem ever. Place a few blobs of shaving foam around the mirror and wipe it all over the mirror, then simply wipe it all off until the mirror is shiny again. Never again shall steam cling to it.

I swear this works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

DjFlin wrote: »
    Theres no mirror in the shower :pac:

Use a hand held one, rub some foam on it to stop it fogging up.

edit: I'm slow at typing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

hot shower, wash face, baby lotion on face, rinse off a few mins later, out of the shower, shave
    get back into the shower, this time warm water gradually bringing down the temp, apply more baby lotion,

hot shower, wash face, baby lotion on face, rinse off a few mins later, out of the shower, shave
    get back into the shower, this time warm water gradually bringing down the temp, apply more baby lotion,

dave-silverman.jpg%3Fw%3D300%26h%3D220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Easiest solution to this problem ever. Place a few blobs of shaving foam around the mirror and wipe it all over the mirror, then simply wipe it all off until the mirror is shiny again. Never again shall steam cling to it.

I swear this works!
    Do'nt do it OP it's a trap!

I think

Do'nt do it OP it's a trap!

I think

Honestly it does work. Fierce handy solution to an awful annoying issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Honestly it does work. Fierce handy solution to an awful annoying issue.
    And not only with shaving foam, shaving gel, shampoo, handwash and other such chemical combinations...lightly rub the material over the mirror and it'll be that way when you get out of the shower/bath :)

I only shape my beard edges with a razor, but after a shower. Same with using beard trimmer, hairs are easier to trim as they are softer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I would say after if you are using blades(softens the hairs for easier shave), before if you are using an electric razor.

+1

I always shave before if having a dry shave and after if having a wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

shave before a shower always.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Binder

Always in the shower, with no mirror.

Then when i get out i just have a quick look in mirror and see if i missed any.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

+2

Electric shavers, no matter how good, tend to leave behind the "dust" of your skin and stubble. So if you shower first and open the pores, then this dust gets into your pores and you'll end up with spots. Whereas blades don't leave "dust" behind and shaving while the hair is soft will give a closer, less bloody shave.

I almost exclusively shave with an electric except if I'm in a rush, so it's always shave first, then shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

After. Rub some hair conditioner into your stubble while in & the shave afterward is great. Foggy mirror clears in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

DjFlin wrote: »
    That was my thinking. My mirror takes ages to defog.

You need a Japanese bathroom mirror. Heating elements built into back of mirror ensure it does not fog up. Those Japanese have thought of everything!!!!!! My jaw literally dropped at these unfoggable mirrors!! (even if it is a really obvious innovation!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

I always shave in the shower too.

How hungover/still drunk do you have to be if you can't find your own face without a mirror?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

I shave in the shower. Don't use a mirror either. I get any bits I've missed when I look in the mirror after showering, but usually I'll get 95% of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Shave after a shower because as others said, it softens the hair bristles and opens up the pores for a close shave.

Out of the shower throw a bit of proraso pre-shave eucalyptus balm on, while that is doing it's magic, I whip a nice lather using shaving soap in my shaving bowl, apply to face and shave with the grain with my DE Razor. rinse, apply another lather and shave against the grain. Rinse. apply some Geo F. Trumper Skin Food (lime being my favorite), clean up and then apply some Floid Blue After Shave lotion.... ah bliss!

Plus I have an anti-fog mirror which works perfectly - so it's all good!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Leave the window open when you shower, fogging is no longer an issue. Or dab some lather on it and rub over the mirror, wipe off when done - fogging no longer an issue. Or get an anti-fog mirror - fogging no longer an issue.

No excuse for a pre-shower shave unless it's electric tbh ;)

Advertisement