Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Glanza Opinions?

Options
  • 03-05-2011 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was looking at getting a Toyota Glanza 1.3 Turbo. Not this car, but something along the lines....

b12ea54a46852956f1907071b4e5b3c6-1-3-toyota-glanza-turbo.jpg

Just looking for any opinions people have or stories ye've heard? Or what ye make of them in general.
    Thanks,
    13spanner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just to throw some generalizations into the ring

They're all driven by ballbags
    Drivers never declare that they're a Glanza to insurance companies
    They don't go round corners well
    They're not that fast in standard form
    If you hit something, there's a good chance you'll die or wish you had

These are all generalisations of course, and not my own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

colm_mcm wrote: »

These are all generalisations of course, and not my own opinion.
    Well seeing as I'm looking for opinions, what's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Personally, they look terrible, handle terrible but with a bit of money can be quick in a straight line.

Suffer immensely from the Boy racer, Skanger me banger image but as always no one should let something like that put them off a car if they really want it.

Probably have to spend that bit extra to get a decent clean one these days, expect the average and lower priced ones to be ragged and not worth it.

Again I personally think there are far better cars out there for the money. People see big BHP figures from some of them but forget that BHP figures aren't really the be all and end all of owning a performance orientated car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Terrible image

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I've only ever been in one and it was lightly modified, I was quite impressed with how quick it was. Initial acceleration is pretty good but as others have said it does handle pretty bad. AFAIK they can be pricey to insure.

My personal opinion though about owning one, the looks would turn me right off. And the sitgmas that it drags with it. Would you not maybe consider an SIR Civic or the likes? What age are you OP? What's your criteria? Is insurance price the main decider?

• Advertisement

My personal opinion though about owning one, the looks would turn me right off. And the sitgmas that it drags with it. Would you not maybe consider an SIR Civic or the likes? What age are you OP? What's your criteria? Is insurance price the main decider?
    I'm 23 with no points and 4 years no claim bonus, so insurance is straight enough. Yeah I agree with everyone disliking the boy racer image it would bring. Personally I like the way they look when done nicely, each to their own I suppose :) I once borrowed a Glanza V from a friend for a weekend and was impressed. I just thought it'd be something different. The other thing I was looking at was a Levin BZR (I like my jap cars :D), but still very undecided :(

Ah ok, I wouldn't be looking at a Glanza then TBH, Levin's are nice looking, never been in one though. What about 180/200 SX? SSIII/GT4 Celica? I personally love the 180's and they can be insanely fast with a few mods

Yeah was looking at 180's actually, very very nice cars! To be honest I kind of had a shortlist of Levin BZR, Glanza Turbo, Dc2 Integra or a nice Altezza. I know a glanza is very much at the end of that list, and I was just looking around for opinions to help me count it in or out. I would also like an ae86 GT coupe but seeing the amount of abuse the get on Youtube etc. I've been put off them :( this kind of crap really gets me going :mad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCP__F_5szA

AE86's are still looking for silly money. Of the one's you said I'd have the 180 or DC2 all day over the rest. The 200 is a nice car, a lot of them have the S15 front and if you got one already (sensibly) modified then it'd be a winner. SXOC.com is a great site for em. A good few for sale in Ireland on it too. You'd pick up a nice one for the same price (even less) than a clean Glanza

Yeah I could probably rise above a glanza alright now that I think of it :) might start looking seriously at 180's. I always liked s13's shape aswell and I might aswell get one more (ridiculous :D) jap car, because I'll likely be settling down to a diesel golf etc in the next while. will look at that website and see what's going on haha. Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

them glanza can be savage quick, get onto midnightclub.ie lads for more info. few quick ones on there. i had a levin. loved the car. real head turner and nice car to drive but you'll get a lot more out of the integra engine and they are more reliable. pick wisely lad. hope you get something that is in real good nick. please insure correctly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

With a bit of work Glanzas can be pretty fast but of the cars you listed as being interested in I'd go with either the 180 or DC2. Been on the lookout for a 180 myself lately but not much out there is really taking my fancy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This thread needs a cork glanza video...

The one that eats evos, k20 ek9s, 320hp s14. 400hp r33....

Glanzas have horrible image, but those little things can become super animals. Its cheap to tax and run.

I like them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

*cough* Vitz RS *cough*

i have always had my heart set on a turbo glanza, and last year i set out to buy one but there are very very few unabused examples in ireland, the only way to get a good one really is to buy a fresh import.

the vitz not quite as pokey as a glanza but its nippy enough with 110bhp and weighing around 900kg's and it looks pretty similar.

insurance for me @ 20 with 3 years NCB and a full license is only 850 euro, roughly a third of what i would be looking at paying for a turbo glanza.

100829194022.jpg
    100829194325.jpg

havn't got many pics of it on my computer but a great glanza alternative i reckon.

andyseadog wrote: »
    *cough* Vitz RS *cough*
    the vitz not quite as pokey as a glanza but its nippy enough with 110bhp and weighing around 900kg's and it looks pretty similar.

Better again would be the TRD Vitz RS, 1.5 Turbo, 160bhp. ;) But I imagine there wouldnt be many, if any, of those floating around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Drove a mk1 yaris t sport back in 05, not in the same league.
    No offence but a fiesta zetec s or 106 rallye would be better options for handling without bags of power, The glanza does the straight line speed thing very well - the vitz doesn't really do anything brilliantly, in fact I found the 1.4 D-4D more fun.

No offence to your choice of car. I can see the appeal of something different and unusual.

i can get what your saying, i lowered mine a decent bit and it handles better, there was a lot of body roll with the standard suspension, a rear arb would be a great upgrade but they are pretty difficult to find.

there are a handful of TRD turbo's in Ireland, 3 of them IIRC. the vitz is streaks ahead of a silvertop levin to 70mph, i've never been up against a blacktop though and i've only had one chance to legally drag race a car before :P.

like i said its not comparable speed wise but its got a similar quirk in many ways to a glanza.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

I wouldnt worry one bit what anyone else thinks about the starlet image! if YOU like it go for it! I think they look well and are a pretty reliable car!
    try to get a standard one and work on it from there. As said before, avoid the dogged ones and the big hp claims without solid proof of work carried out by a rep. mechanic.

If your still open to other ideas heres my suggestion: Nissan pulsar vzr. very nippy car and not as popular as civics/starlets

dscf0206l.jpg

Woops link broke here is one ive spotted on google . . .
    http://nzhondas.com/forum/vehicle-exchange/112633-1998-pulsar-vzr-175hp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DjKlubster

TBH i would go for the levin before Glanza...

Fair enough Glanzas are quick off the line where the levin wouldnt but the levin will just keep going as for Top Speed... Also Levins Are alot safer when it comes to fast speeds..Hit a Bump with a glanza and your more than likely going to bounce of the road:confused:

I heard people say the 5 speed box version of the Levin are better because of better gear ratios But my mate has the 6 speed and der doesnt to be much wrong with it:)

Plus most of them are 1.6 Toyotas in log book so Nice Insurance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

DjKlubster wrote: »
    Plus most of them are 1.6 Toyotas in log book so Nice Insurance :)

All Levins are 1.6 in the log book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DjKlubster

draffodx wrote: »
    All Levins are 1.6 in the log book.

Awrigh...Thanks..Wasnt Fully Sure :o ha

DjKlubster wrote: »
    I heard people say the 5 speed box version of the Levin are better because of better gear ratios But my mate has the 6 speed and der doesnt to be much wrong with it:)

Some people prefer the 5 speed box as its stronger than the 6 speed and able to take more abuse. Personally I've no issue with the 6 speed in mine, 156,000kms and still going strong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

*cough* Vitz RS *cough*

havn't got many pics of it on my computer but a great glanza alternative i reckon.

Buy one of these :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    No offence to your choice of car. I can see the appeal of something different and unusual.
    None taken :) thanks for the opinions lads, a few interesting ideas coming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

i owned a glanza for about 18months and they are reliable never gave any trouble! in standard form they will stick with a standard b16 till 140kmh then civic will pull away!

check for smokey turbos the baby ct9 turbo in them isnt the strongest!

they are wicked poor in the corners!

they are a nightmare to work on everything is too compact under the bonnet
    cheap to tax and insurance isnt the worst either to be fair!

theyre not too bad on petrol if you stay off boost

i know my points are mostly negative but they are a great cheap car and if ya find a clean one you will be happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

*cough* Vitz RS *cough*

Id rather have a glanza and be called a boy racer,then in a yaris and called an old woman:pac:

but dont let the image of a car change your opinion op,glanzas a great car

Stop quoting the same pics over and over!

Buti couldn't disagree more, I'd have the Yaris over a Glanza all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mackinfella

not all glanza owners are scangers etc.. sadly they do have that image, and the garda love them...

i owned one for about a year.. had a few small bits done.. induction/full exaust/coil-overs/boosted at 1bar (high boost) and few other small bits and pieces.. was a healthy 170bhp.. with the coil overs and good tryes it handled fine.. no evo but huge improvement over standard...

mine was insured as a glanza turbo and it was expensive enough but i always insure my cars as what they are (not whats on logbok)

driving wise i found them fine.. great fun to drive.. but to be honest i wouldnt buy another.. alot of them here has had the crap driven out of them (sayin that there are some good examples) but you will pay for it...

best of luck with buying one if you do decide to go for one and be sure to post up some pics :)

Tomebagel wrote: »
    Id rather have a glanza and be called a boy racer,then in a yaris and called an old woman:pac:

isn't a glanza just a tarted up starlet too? :pac:

out of curiosity to all you people with modified glanzas eg :
    induction/full exaust/coil-overs/boosted at 1bar (high boost) and few other small bits and pieces.. was a healthy 170bhp.. with the coil overs and good tryes it handled fine.. no evo but huge improvement over standard

God absolutely forbid you were in a crash, when the insurance assesor comes to view the car surely all those modifications will be noticed, does this affect they payout? or had you declared the mods to the insurance after you fitted them? i'm just thinking if the insurance company quoted you for a 133bhp standard Glanza V then they wouldn't bee to happy if they knew you were running closer to 170? not dissing the whole thing but just curious because that was another factor that always put me off buying a modded glanza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 mackinfella

God absolutely forbid you were in a crash, when the insurance assesor comes to view the car surely all those modifications will be noticed, does this affect they payout? or had you declared the mods to the insurance after you fitted them? i'm just thinking if the insurance company quoted you for a 133bhp standard Glanza V then they wouldn't bee to happy if they knew you were running closer to 170? not dissing the whole thing but just curious because that was another factor that always put me off buying a modded glanza.

sadly its true.. they can refuse to pay out if you dont declare the mods.. even changing the wheels your supposed to declare it as wheels will attract thieves to a car more so if they after market alloys etc.

most people dont declare the mods and god forbid if they did smack it they play dumb and say they were on the car when it was bought and as far as they knew it was standard lol

i have always declared my mods tho... i have had alot of high powered cars incl 4 sti imprezas, 2 lancer evos, mr2 turbo, an audi s8 and a bmw e39 m5... to name but a few... i always declare all mods.. altho any car i buy now i just leave standard... days of mods are pretty much gone lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement