Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 6BR -Tournament- 28th May,2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mantys

Don't forget to bring the copy of the game people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm not a regular here but I enjoy Tekken 6, I'm half-decent with Lee. Am I allowed go? :pac:

Of course you are allowed to come. We'll probably just play sparring matches for 2-3 hours...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

How'd it go? Shame me and James couldn't go would have liked a few matches.

@Eoin: We only played sparring matches. 5 hours, more than 100 of them. And i lost. We laughed all the time and Nani successfuly completed his ewgf expert challenge with Kazuya. I was even worse than my usual self and realised Miguel is my option for now, we'll se TTT2.

@Nani: Jesus, your grabs from cd are so strong, you can't even see them coming! Scares the hell out of me! Very good games anyway.

1) Skeering 107/128
    2) Mantys 72 (org)
    3) Eon 67 (drp)
    4) Firestarter 53
    5) Aurongroove 44
    6) Triademan (K.O.I.F.) 41
    7) Aaron 33
    8) RedDragonJack 31
    9) NoviGlitzko 24
    10) Nani 17
    11) Jun_DP101 13
    12) Ezda 11
    13) Adam 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

How many people showed up?

By the sound of it just 2 :(

4 people showed up. John doesn't play Tekken anymore, Gavin didn't come, James and Eoin were too busy. It was good fun anyway!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Fair dues for sticking it out Mantys.

Hopefully the buzz around TTT2 will bring more people to Tekken.

Ar, good stuff. Keep going lad! :D
    I would recommend putting up posters around the place - the XGC might be willing to put one up?
    I know far more people who casually play Tekken than people who play Street Fighter. There has to be some way to tap into that reserve.
    It's a shame the colleges have all closed now. I imagine there's some T6 players you could have grabbed from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

I'll pop down next time and play some tekken ^_^ need to pratice with my lili again ^_^

@all: It is a bit disappointing that nobody shows interest in the game. But I still have faith in TTT2! However, if this continues, I will not make the tournaments anymore. I tried to attract players with the point system, but it seems nobody cares.

To be honest, no one very few people really likes Tekken all that much on this sub-forum so no matter how many quirky points systems are added to spice things up, very few of us will attend the tourneys.
    An idea might be to search Boards (I mean in other sections of Boards, not just the fighting game sub-forum) for any threads about Tekken and then asking some of the people in those threads if they'd be interested in showing up to tourneys.

Also, you should contact any of the gaming societies from the various colleges in Dublin before the colleges are shut completely - see if there are any interested parties there. You could do the same in any of the table-top gaming places around the city, like Games Workshop or that one around the corner from the XGC. Ask them if you can put up posters for the next Tekken event.

Finally, you should go to some of the anime convention forums and gauge interest. Tekken was mad popular at Eirtakon (Well, it was more popular than BB and Soul Calibur :pac:
    Arcade-con, Nom-Con and Eirtakon all have quite active communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

I'm interested in tekken, I would gladly play tekken in casual. just that tekken ppl don't show up for wed and sat casual like. So I play blaz,mvc and ssf4. Cause I enjoy playing them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

I'm gonna buy TT2 when its releases. Tekken 3 was one of my favorite games ever so im gonna try get back into it.

I'll certainly be giving TTT2 a shot as well. I used to play the original tag in the arcades back in the day, although I was scrubtastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 nani

Oh, I just hope some more people will show up for the next tournament. 3-4-5 is already a lot. :D

@Mantys: Thanks Mantys for organizing all the tournaments!!! (Cant be thanked enough)
    Our matches where very nice. I would like that we would have so much time to play every day :D , but that is not possible unfortunately... As for me - I will try to particapate more than I did, but it depends on my work schedule and the chances of it to be changed around.

@Jeff: I think that you should come a lot more than you do. Its not important if you like the system for points or not. But as you are one of the best in Tekken here it is in, my opinion, very reasonable that you would be interested in the growth of a sceen rather then just coming because of a possible winning chance. I know that it would be very interesting to play against you every time I would come to test my self.

@Nani: As far as I know Jeff helped to sustain the scene for a very long time with other people as well, it's just that T6 is not really that good and people have other things to do. I think Jeff is the only person here to actually talk to you about the game, about set-ups, mix-ups and all the tactics.

And I think, my opinion now, that the elite doesn't show up for one particular reason: the other players(us)are really bad! Seriously. If I recall all my games with you guys this Saturday, I can understand where I went wrong in the gameplay, but when I play against Jeff, I have NO idea what went wrong. And that is the difference in the level of players. I wouldn't want to spend money and my whole Saturday afternoon playing Tekken with players who are (compared to me) really bad. And to add insult to injury, the point system favors players who show up even if they are not that good. I see the point here, but you can't make it to suit all.

I played against Jeff couple if times, and as I recall, I won 2 matches. Yes, two! In total! And then I lost 5-2 in that set. OK? So that's it...

The future of the scene here depends on TTT2 as I see it now.

@chueytoo: Why don't you join? We obviously don't meet on Wednesdays anymore as Kenz left the country.

Any opinions how to make this work guys?:cool: I am really fed up.:eek:

mantys wrote: »
    Any opinions how to make this work guys?:cool: I am really fed up.:eek:

From your post, am I right in saying there are good players, who don't show up for tournaments?

That's really weird behaviour... I mean, building a scene will earn them money. It's just a weird mindset for a seasoned FG player to have.

I guess the real question is how do you convince the casual player to cross over to competitive, then. Because at every con I am at there's always plenty of people watching/ playing Tekken.

I have an idea. Silly, but it can work. Let's create a club of players. Let's all join sf.ie and post, talk, play and meet. I wouldn't mind.

Or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You already have everything you need to make a scene work for Tekken. You just need to actively reach out to players and get them to show up at least once a week for casuals.

mantys wrote: »
    I have an idea. Silly, but it can work. Let's create a club of players. Let's all join sf.ie and post, talk, play and meet. I wouldn't mind.

Or something...

Why don't you just start a Tekken 6 thread here and chat in it?

I'll keep it relatively clean of "STREETFIGHTERS BETTER THAN TEKKEN ZOMG" stuff for you if you like.

Choppers right though, casuals are the life blood of a community. Trying to get people to show up is the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Keep playing, keep meeting up and keep having fun. Seriously make sure you are enjoying the game because that is vital to keep going otherwise you'll get burned out and annoyed. Having fun playing the game/tournaments is when you'll want to try and run things and help things grow.

As for making the scene bigger you're in a tricky position because of how long T6 has been out. I would try not to worry about numbers at the moment but just keep it going as much as you can for now. When TTT2 comes it will be a good chance to try and get some new faces as you'll have lots of casual players and some of them will transition to the offline/tournament scene (especially if things are relaxed and fun).

Don't forget to look out for Tekken tournaments at conventions. Most of the conventions I've been at have had a fair amount of people playing Tekken. Don't know if you'd find anyone good but it can be a good time and a chance to get people involved.

I don't know if there's much crossover with soul calibur but the new one might be another chance to look forward to that would get people involved. I don't think this as valid for 3D fighters because as I recall they are all very different and there isn't as much crossover as you can get in 2D fighters. But it's still something to consider.

Anyway I think you guys are doing well with what you have and you just got to keep it up. Just remember at the end of day, it's most important that you have a good time and a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Triademan

Hi guys,

Hope you re all keeping well, first props to mantys to still organising stuff anfd to try to bring new players to the tekken scene. Well done man!

Now some feedback and suggestions for me.

To start, level at the tourney does not bother me much. I am no more a 'super' competitive player like I might have been in the past ( I refer to the time when I was playing in France), so I dont bother playing noobs or what you want to call them...If i wanted big challenges, I can book a flight a go to any Euro tourney, so seriously I dont care level of my opponents.
    Then regarding the cash price, here is my point to make sure this is attractive to me or any players, we need to make sure this worth it.
    I mean if you pay 5 eur INCLUDING the price to pay the TV/PS3 rent AND the cash price.
    Then you need to be careful on the renting, I have made a little calculation and simply to get an "correct" cash price, you need to have 4 players on 1 TV.
    Just keep that in mind guys ! ;-)
    Regarding the points system, It s true I dont caution it but now do as you want.
    What I meant is that as far as it reflects the level of the community, any ranking suits me, when it doesnt....well...like everyone will do.......I just dont trust the ranking........and finally lose any motivation to compete again ! plain and simple !

I ll come next time, keep you posted.

TEST YOU WELL :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 nani

@Triademan:
    I fully understand that it is difficult to keep yourself motivated enough to play against a player that is not in your level - not to say its boring. But then again how will they improve. Though I am not a very skilled player myself I am just now sorta getting the hang of the game. While doing it I am trying to get my closest friends to join in on the fun and its semi working... :D They are getting better, but they lack the interest in playing for long strech of matches. I could probably do about 3-4 hours daily of matches, but instead I hardly get 1 hour.
    Additionaly - it is very important that I have a better oponent then myself. And that brings me to you saying that you will come next time. I think everybody would apreciate it. So thanks in advance for that ;)

I have an offer: though this might seem to much to ask, but i think its worth it. Would you guys be interested in playing first to 20 with one character on a cassuals meet? I propose this because as I see it that is the best way to learn from matches (system wise). What about this sunday, would anyone be interested and have the free time to come (if not the above, then simply cassuals)?

@Mantys
    I think we could try the Doctor Doom offer... :)

Yeah I agree that regular casuals will keep the community alive and kicking! But more importantly it's the ONLY way that we can all get better :) I can practice away with whatever character as much as I like but unless I put it to work against real humans around my level of play (NB offline) I'll never really know how good I am.

We should definitely start a Tekken thread to talk these things over and discuss "casuals" dates etc. because these tournament forums should really be just for signing up really...

Nani if you like I could come in for some matches I think? We haven't played each other so it would be good to play someone new yeah? If I cant come this Sunday I will DEFINITELY be there the next Sunday (or whenever suits). I'll keep you posted :)

Also good news I was playing NoviGlitzko online yesterday and he seems interested in coming to the next tournament. I think he would give everyone a big chance to improve :D (even Triademan)

@Nani: I am up for this Sunday. And the first to 20 without changing characters is a good idea. And we should share our mix ups and set ups as well. No problem for me, I have two so...yeah...:D
    I can come anytime, so just post here or something. Or create a new thread. I always do that.

Watching Korean videos now with Miguel. I'm such a noob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Casuals would work for me, it's hard to give up a full Sat/Sunday at the moment but a few hours here and there for casuals would suit better

I can't come this Sunday unfortunately I'll be in Wexford. But I am putting my name down for casuals next weekend (11th/12th). If anyone wants some matches let me know and I'll come in whenever. Yeah! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 tsmyth

how can i get involved in this?

Advertisement