Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe a 'you' exists?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

wylo wrote: »
    absolutely not, the body still wants to take care of itself, the body still wants to attract other humans, I still wash my clothes and exercise, im still trying to work at setting up a business. And its a great point, cause thats exactly what I thought, a sort of "why would you bother if 'you' didnt matter. But the truth is, people seem to think the self is what makes you human. Im saying its an unnecessary hindrance.
    I will admit though that for me personally there was a slight zap in motivation because when you live in the moment other things stop being important.
    It didnt actually stop me from doing stuff, I just didnt think about it, I just did it, and was 100% focused when doing it.

The ego , the messy one, the one that makes you care about stupid things that are not important, the one that makes you feel awkward silences, the one that creates pointless inhibitions like not asking someone something that you want to, the one that keeps you trying to argue your point even though you know you've lost, the one that skews your view of how things really are, that ego is the self I talk about, when you drop this things become simpler and more obvious.

Dropping this does NOT mean dropping compassion, emotions, sadness, anger, you are still a human being, and behave like one, you just become more chilled out, because stupid things arent important, you family friends and comfort it important.
    So on that note, yes to an extent you must be careful you dont zen out on a mountain or something, you must keep engaging in life. Because otherwise you will just become isolated and presumed crazy. No human or animal wants that.

Sounds a lot like this to me.

Check it out in your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

NOTHING here costs a penny, just in case there's sceptics that may think im trying to sneakily do some advertising or something...

I post on a forum called Uncommon Knowledge , its a psychology forum, I always had a mild interest. Now this was NOTHING to do with no self or anything. It was to do with me trying to learn about confidence and self esteem and all that kind of stuff.
    A guy started a thread saying he felt an "in sync" feeling in life, someone replied explaining that it may have been a glimpse of enlightenment. I really hate that word because of its associations but thats what it is. I was extremely interested, and he began to present the very arguments that I did above, he then encouraged me to go to his blog and do the experiments:
    http://ghostvirus2011.blogspot.com/

If you go to the top of the blog you'll see exp. 1 exp 2 etc, its worth going through his blog as well, FAQs etc,

I then began reading through a site called Ruthless Truth, a site created by a philosopher who figured out that enlightenment is not about meditating for 25 years , and going on retreats to Tibet, he figured that you can lose the self with aggressive questioning, and it can happen very quickly, he showed others and they now "liberate" people online. You see, if the word "enlightenment" wasnt used this whole thing wouldn't sound as extreme, the word is correct but I hate it because people think of it as some sort of higher conciousness. Its just seeing things the way they are that's all. Its just accepting existence for what it is, as oppose to seeing it through the lens of the self.

Please please please dont lose interest or get too insulted if they are rude to you, or too aggressive, or almost stubborn sounding. Or dont be put off if they are asking you very basic short questions, they are just forcing you to look at reality.
    heres the link.http://www.ruthlesstruth.com/arena/viewforum.php?f=3
    Some people may have reservations about the site, maybe a bit childish, a bit juvenile? You know what , these guys know what they're doing and its free. So you honestly have nothing to lose (well maybe the self :)). So if you feel reluctant just say to yourself, "ah feck it ill give it a go". No ones gonna know, and it may fail as well, only YOU can do it, they just hold your hand while doing it.

Right so I started posting, heres the thread where I became liberated if anyones interested. I started that thread after doing all the experiments outlined above, also after reading a free ebook called Brutal Beginnings.
    http://www.ruthlesstruth.com/arena/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1001

Brutal Beginnings is pretty much a copy and paste of liberations (cant think of a better word, im open to suggestions). Its inspiring, cause you get to see the whats going on in the minds of people as they are going through the process, so have a look for it on the site, or even google should get it for you, actually here it is...http://www.mediafire.com/?73x9ap155nh20ey

Well I think thats about it, after 2 weeks of hard looking, trying everything, trying to pretend there was no self, trying to look at physical obects and recognise how real they were, trying to find the self, experiencing huge discomfort because the self was fighting the "battle". Remember you are challenging a lifetime of beliefs. But eventually it just clicked while I was fixing my grandads computer, at aroung 6pm april 16th, I looked at the couch, and was slightly overwhelmed at how real it was , i chuckled a bit, I looked back for that self, and it was genuinely gone. I couldnt even imagine it. Everything was REALLY clear, not physically, everything looked the same, but things seem really clear now, and empty mind, its almost like your field of vision has widened even though you are not actually seeing anymore than anyone else. That cant be described in words tbh. Its just clarity or the truth. (ok I know that stuff sounds offputting but thats all I can say there)

The analogy i like to use is this. You know when your chatting to someone outside and theres something annoying in the distance (sound wise) but your not quite sure what it is, your not even consciously thinking about it, but then all the sudden a car alarm down the road STOPS. You say "Jesus that was annoying", yet you barely noticed it till it stopped. Well the car alarm in this case is the self, the inner chatter, the wrong way you perceive reality. It all simply stops, and its a subtle feeling of "oh right, is that it?" , you are then seeing things the way they really are after that.

Remember , im not asking you to believe anything, im asking you to not believe something.

Alot of atheists are proud and almost smug with their comments of no God. They talk about "no proof , its all nonsense", well its funny because all these same people believe something that there is no proof of, the self.
    Its just a belief, like people 1000s of years believed that a solar eclipse was some sort of message from the Gods.

Heres my theory, once humans figure out more about the brain, and once they see real proof that the self is just an unnecessary detrimental thought they will be able to remove it with some procedure (no idea what), I then believe every human will be "enlightened" , and they will look back at us and say "I cannot believe that they lived with that lie", just like we do with people 1000s of years ago with other beliefs.

I think its worth noting , that I am not claiming that I have rid myself of all problems or negative emotions.
    This is not a cure for anything except the illusion of the self. Its this illusion that causes suffering. What I mean by suffering is stuff like needless worrying, needless dwelling on irrelevant problems.
    But I am NOT claiming for a minute that I do not experience negative emotions. I am still capable of getting as angry as I always have, but this time its just anger, it doesnt dwell needlessly, it does what it does and goes away when it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The ego , the messy one, the one that makes you care about stupid things that are not important, the one that makes you feel awkward silences, the one that creates pointless inhibitions like not asking someone something that you want to, the one that keeps you trying to argue your point even though you know you've lost, the one that skews your view of how things really are, that ego is the self I talk about, when you drop this things become simpler and more obvious.

Hello again Wylo.

Just in relation to the above. Do you honestly believe that everyone that isn't 'liberated' feels awkward silences, avoid asking questions, argue points even though they know they are wrong etc? You talk of the 'illusion of self' as being inherently detrimental. But there are plenty of people who feel no significant social insecurities like you describe above, plenty of people that are perfectly comfortable in themselves who have never thought about the question of 'the self' or who have thought about it and come to the conclusion there is a self (whether they are right or wrong is beside the point of what I am saying here) and use the concept of a self to overcome these social problems and to improve themselves in various ways.

With that in mind why would you hold the opinion that the 'illusion of self' is necessarily detrimental?

strobe wrote: »
    Hello again Wylo.

Just in relation to the above. Do you honestly believe that everyone that isn't 'liberated' feels awkward silences, avoid asking questions, argue points even though they know they are wrong etc? You talk of the 'illusion of self' as being inherently detrimental. But there are plenty of people who feel no significant social insecurities like you describe above, plenty of people that are perfectly comfortable in themselves who have never thought about the question of 'the self' or who have thought about it and come to the conclusion there is a self (whether they are right or wrong is beside the point of what I am saying here) and use the concept of a self to overcome these social problems.

With that in mind why would you hold the opinion that the 'illusion of self' is necessarily detrimental?

Ok your right, no not everyone feels that , I did obviously, I am not talking about it as if I was experiencing this stuff all day, I wasnt at all at alll , but cmon man you have to admit that many many people experience slight inhibitions and awkwardness, small anxieties, just from time to time, those words wouldnt exist if people didnt experience them. I am not talking about true social anxiety here, im just talking about stuff that people get annoyed over that they really dont have to get annoyed over.

But yes fair enough, the inner chatter, the 'self' can be very positive to some people.
    I really have to stress to you that I was just a normal typical bloke , i linked you some reservations I had with someone else. I was actually worried of losing the self, because it may lose happiness. granted obviously I was a bit more curious if I was reading about psychology etc, but man im glad because if I wasnt I wouldnt have came across this stuff.
    But look, maybe your right, maybe the whole thing is a placebo, but as I said to you, I do genuinely promise that ill come back if the self comes back and im completely back to my old ways.

But to be honest, once you experience the clarity , it is impossible to unsee it. I hate when I start sounding too deep but thats the only way I can describe it.

• Advertisement

But your also after helping me and pointing something out to me, im selling this wrongly. I am not going to talk about that particular stuff anymore because its the only thing you seem to hone in on. And as Ive said a few times, enlightenment does not cure your problems.
    What Im talking about is true deep emptiness in the mind and living in the moment, it is pleasant.

Little example, a friend recently talked moaningly about turning 30, they are 29 now, but they wont be turning 30 for another 6 months. My way of thinking now is "Wow that is so fckin far away from now why would he even consider that" The old me would have said 6 months is pretty close to 30.

But your also after helping me and pointing something out to me, im selling this wrongly. I am not going to talk about that particular stuff anymore because its the only thing you seem to hone in on. And as Ive said a few times, enlightenment does not cure your problems.
    What Im talking about is true deep emptiness in the mind and living in the moment, it is pleasant.

Little example, a friend recently talked moaningly about turning 30, they are 29 now, but they wont be turning 30 for another 6 months. My way of thinking now is "Wow that is so fckin far away from now why would he even consider that" The old me would have said 6 months is pretty close to 30.

But an 'unliberated' person may not think "why is he worrying it is so far away" they might think "why is he worrying at all" and the reason they think that could be exactly because of a belief that ageing is a chance to improve the self, which they believe does exist. So in that instance being 'unliberated' could potentially be seen as being better than being 'liberated', right?

Ok , ill answer your questions no bother, but I just gotta let you know what you are doing right now is completely avoiding the subject, and that is the existence of the self. You are not looking, you are not trying to question the self, you are purposely distracting yourself from it. It is a belief thats so deeply engrained that you will do anything to justify its existence. Because the very thought of no self is one fckin scary thought. Thats why people say you need a few things to become "liberated".

Honesty: have an honest look at yourself and reality , and truly ask does the self really actually exist.

Balls (this is the big one): Can you actually face the fact that its fake? You've even admitted to me that you think the concept is correct yet you are still arguing and trying to justify the self.

Open mindedness: Agreeing with the concept, this one isnt hard to find on forums like philosophy and spiritual.

But an 'unliberated' person may not think "why is he worrying it is so far away" they might think "why is he worrying at all" and the reason they think that could be exactly because of a belief that ageing is a chance to improve the self, which they believe does exist. So in that instance being 'unliberated' could potentially be seen as being better than being 'liberated', right?

Ok ill tell you now that I WAS one of those people, I used give out to people because they moaned about getting old. I used say "Jesus, when your 60 you'll be wanting to be 40", anyway back to the point, your saying that the unliberated person will improve himself based on the fact that he sees ageing as an opportunity rather than a crisis. Fair enough, but a liberated person will not even think like that. They will just want to improve themselves because it is good for life, it is good for your body, you feel better, you learn or know more, whatever the improvement is. Age isnt even relevant . Thats why I thought "6 months is far away", cause I was living in the moment and concentrating on the now, which is not a distraction for improving the life.

Ok , ill answer your questions no bother, but I just gotta let you know what you are doing right now is completely avoiding the subject, and that is the existence of the self.

I'm not avoiding anything Wylo, just trying to get you to think about what you are saying and if it holds up.
    You are not looking, you are not trying to question the self, you are purposely distracting yourself from it. It is a belief thats so deeply engrained that you will do anything to justify its existence. Because the very thought of no self is one fckin scary thought. Thats why people say you need a few things to become "liberated".

That's very presumptuous of you. I'm not trying to justify anything. I don't find the thought of there being no self scary. I find it blasé if anything.
    Honesty: have an honest look at yourself and reality , and truly ask does the self really actually exist.

Check.
    Balls (this is the big one): Can you actually face the fact that its fake? You've even admitted to me that you think the concept is correct yet you are still arguing and trying to justify the self.

Again I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm just questioning your claims that someone accepting that there is no self as you understand the word will be of benefit or that someone identifying with a self is detrimental.
    Open mindedness: Agreeing with the concept, this one isnt hard to find on forums like philosophy and spiritual.

From the same philosopher of the last quote you liked that I posted;
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

That's very presumptuous of you. I'm not trying to justify anything. I don't find the thought of there being no self scary. I find it blasé if anything.
    fair enough, if its blasé to you then its gonna be difficult for me to debate.
    Again I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm just questioning your claims that someone accepting that there is no self as you understand the word will be of benefit or that someone identifying with a self is detrimental.
    Supposed there was nothing on offer, suppose I told you that the only difference between believing a self and not believing a self ,is that with no self you see reality properly. You SEE that there is no self, But suppose I told you that you wont feel any better, everything will be the same. Are you content with that just living with the self even though you know its possible to see reality without it? If so then thats grand, I wouldn't be content with that personally.
    From the same philosopher of the last quote you liked that I posted;
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

He strikes again, another nice quote, cant argue with it, but at least an open minded person is able to see the difference between the nonsense and the good stuff. Its up to you to decide which one im speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Could you expand on that? What functions need a self? It is truly engrained in our brains that a self is required to carry out functions, but I truly believe it is not.

Hmm, the conversation has been fruitful since I last checked in. I'll stick with this.

Any sort of ownership requires a concept of self. It's only a concept though. If you don't accept that, then I will gladly take all the things you own off you, because they're not yours.

You also must have a concept of self in relation to your life story. If you tell me about yourself from when you were born up until now you will tell me a story. This story is your self concept. Again, it is only a concept. But without it you would not exist as you do right now.

Also, I am highly suspicious of this 'living in the now' thinking.
    It is impossible to live completely in the now. You always contextualise your experience with expectations and memories of what is past. Otherwise you could not function at all. Animals also have this, on a somewhat more basic level. When you go outside you expect that things will go a certain way and the floor hasn't turned to lava. These are implicite expectations. You are not fully aware of them, but they are there.

To see pure 'living in the now', have a look at some cases of extreme amnesia. It is a hugely distressing illness, as there is no continuity of experience.

The past and the future are what make a 'now' possible in the first place.

-

Also, to expand on what I said "But wasn't your body just always in control of that self anyway? You just didn't know it yet."

Yes, your body was always in control. Before you were enlightened and now that you are enlightened. Your body doesn't really care if it's enlightened or not because it's always just in control and doing its thing.

-

I'm pretty sure the enlightenment you are talking about and that of Buddhism or Thelema or whatever religion are different. Not that yours is not enlightenment, but just to be aware of the different usages.

18AD wrote: »
    Hmm, the conversation has been fruitful since I last checked in. I'll stick with this.

Any sort of ownership requires a concept of self. It's only a concept though. If you don't accept that, then I will gladly take all the things you own off you, because they're not yours.
    I think ill keep my stuff thanks:D, this is an example of the belief that a self is required for someone to be human. The stuff in my room belongs to me, this body, this body earned it. Do you think a dog is happy to give away his bone just because he does not believe in a self? Its not far off, its his possesion, hes not going to give it away. There is no higher energy or spirit or soul saying 'this is mine', its just a dog wanting his bone that he owns. What Im trying to say is , that no self does not mean not being a human being.
    You also must have a concept of self in relation to your life story. If you tell me about yourself from when you were born up until now you will tell me a story. This story is your self concept. Again, it is only a concept. But without it you would not exist as you do right now.
    If I tell you a story of my life I will be telling you everything that happened to this body as it grew up, there doesnt need to be a 'me', yes the word is handy because it identifies this body from your body or someone elses body but again there is no higher energy or controller that experienced it, just the brain. I went for a run the other day, my brain triggered signals to move my legs , there was no self controlling this. it was just happening. Try walking around yourself there and see is there honestly a 'you' deciding how you legs are going to move? Is there honestly a 'you' controlling that movement? Then tell the story of that 'walk around', and question was there really need for a 'you' to be in that story? Is it plausible to say that perhaps it was just your body doing that stuff?
    Also, I am highly suspicious of this 'living in the now' thinking.
    It is impossible to live completely in the now. You always contextualise your experience with expectations and memories of what is past. Otherwise you could not function at all. Animals also have this, on a somewhat more basic level. When you go outside you expect that things will go a certain way and the floor hasn't turned to lava. These are implicite expectations. You are not fully aware of them, but they are there.

To see pure 'living in the now', have a look at some cases of extreme amnesia. It is a hugely distressing illness, as there is no continuity of experience.

The past and the future are what make a 'now' possible in the first place.
    Ok here you got me, when I say living in the now, living in the moment, I dont mean it in a literal 100% 'not think of ANYTHING else', my brain still predicts events, my brain is thinking that I have a meeting next tuesday.
    The difference is there is no self dwelling on it, no feedback loop of thoughts, or thinking more about it than what it simply is, which is a meeting next tuesday, and as a result of that I dont worry about it, or even the opposite, I dont say "ooh I cant wait for this meeting, its gonna go great".
    This does not mean emotions get "neutered" btw, if anything emotions are more raw and clear with no self. Even anger is somewhat liberating. Not that Im angry person in general anyway, but if I was Id feel it more naturally. Im still the same person I was, its just a shift in perception that happens.
    Also, to expand on what I said "But wasn't your body just always in control of that self anyway? You just didn't know it yet."

Yes, your body was always in control. Before you were enlightened and now that you are enlightened. Your body doesn't really care if it's enlightened or not because it's always just in control and doing its thing.

I guess I agree with you a bit here, but im a still a little confused , :o.
    My body doesnt really care, yes thats true, my brain feels free-er though so I would imagine this no self thing has been a relaxant somewhere in the brain, literally, as in less thoughts. So the only way I can say it is, the brain is content with no self. But even that doest make too much sense tbh.
    Sorry I probably didnt really address what your saying there.
    I'm pretty sure the enlightenment you are talking about and that of Buddhism or Thelema or whatever religion are different. Not that yours is not enlightenment, but just to be aware of the different usages.
    Interesting, someone ( who has been 'enlightened' about 4 months made a point to me recently )
    Buddhists , Thelema enlightenment is the opposite to the way we did it. Basically pointing out that they spend their whole lives defusing beliefs theoretically and then eventually after years they see no self, that is true enlightenment. Whereas we see no self immediately but still have alot of beliefs to defuse. But it is said that these beliefs defuse very quickly with no self, i.e. months. So I think in one year I may come back with even deeper truer clearer enlightenment. And maybe then this will match up to the type of enlightenment you talk about (like its a competition lol :D)

I think ill keep my stuff thanks:D, this is an example of the belief that a self is required for someone to be human. The stuff in my room belongs to me, this body, this body earned it. Do you think a dog is happy to give away his bone just because he does not believe in a self? Its not far off, its his possesion, hes not going to give it away. There is no higher energy or spirit or soul saying 'this is mine', its just a dog wanting his bone that he owns. What Im trying to say is , that no self does not mean not being a human being.

But belonging and owning is only something people do. I'm not saying there is a 'higher spirit' or whatever, but that things simply do belong to people. When I say 'me' I just mean this body-mind. Other people will have hugely different uses for the word 'me'. You are simply equating your use of 'me' with your body, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't excape calling things yours.

Dogs don't own bones. They will fight you for it if you try and take it directly off them. If you steal it off them and come back in a week, they won't think that you have returned "their" bone. They will just want the bone.
    If I tell you a story of my life I will be telling you everything that happened to this body as it grew up, there doesnt need to be a 'me', yes the word is handy because it identifies this body from your body or someone elses body but again there is no higher energy or controller that experienced it, just the brain. I went for a run the other day, my brain triggered signals to move my legs , there was no self controlling this. it was just happening. Try walking around yourself there and see is there honestly a 'you' deciding how you legs are going to move? Is there honestly a 'you' controlling that movement? Then tell the story of that 'walk around', and question was there really need for a 'you' to be in that story? Is it plausible to say that perhaps it was just your body doing that stuff?

Who/where/what is the 'you' that was walking yesterday? They don't exist any more! But you talk about it like it does. I'm afraid that is an illusion. But a very useful one!

The word does not only destinguish your body from others, but unites its experience of itself through time.
    I guess I agree with you a bit here, but im a still a little confused , :o.
    My body doesnt really care, yes thats true, my brain feels free-er though so I would imagine this no self thing has been a relaxant somewhere in the brain, literally, as in less thoughts. So the only way I can say it is, the brain is content with no self. But even that doest make too much sense tbh.
    Sorry I probably didnt really address what your saying there.

Your body just does it's thing all the time, regardless of whether you think there's a self in control or not. I'm glad it's better for you having no self.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe that your body/mind is free? As in, not totally determined by the laws of nature? Basically, 'determinism'.
    Interesting, someone ( who has been 'enlightened' about 4 months made a point to me recently )
    Buddhists , Thelema enlightenment is the opposite to the way we did it. Basically pointing out that they spend their whole lives defusing beliefs theoretically and then eventually after years they see no self, that is true enlightenment. Whereas we see no self immediately but still have alot of beliefs to defuse. But it is said that these beliefs defuse very quickly with no self, i.e. months. So I think in one year I may come back with even deeper truer clearer enlightenment. And maybe then this will match up to the type of enlightenment you talk about (like its a competition lol :D)

Also, the enlightenment of Zen Buddhism is said to be instantaneous upon realisation. It is not a process for them. Depnds on the school though, again.

It is so a competition! Too bad for you I'm already an Ascended Master. If you guess which one I'll send you prayers from the Ultrazone.

I'd like to add an extra point here. I totally agree with you that there is no guiding ego or 'you' when you are engagin in activities of this nature. That is not the appropriate time to be in that state of mind. But as I mentioned in my last post, there is another state of mind, a unifying 'you-ness' that keeps your sense of self unified as an individual. Without it there would be no continuity in your life.

There is a time for the ego and a time for the egoless.

But belonging and owning is only something people do. I'm not saying there is a 'higher spirit' or whatever, but that things simply do belong to people. When I say 'me' I just mean this body-mind. Other people will have hugely different uses for the word 'me'. You are simply equating your use of 'me' with your body, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't excape calling things yours.

Dogs don't own bones. They will fight you for it if you try and take it directly off them. If you steal it off them and come back in a week, they won't think that you have returned "their" bone. They will just want the bone.
    IMO,The only difference there is that a humans memory is far more complex and simply better. Also dont forget , dogs bury bones and can find them again. But I shouldnt be using that argument because I know they forget about them most of the time. But my point is, our brain is able to say 'hey that was the bone I was playing with last week', a dog is simply too stupid to remember this.
    Re: escaping calling things mine, dont get me wrong, im not trying to escape that, I still use the word 'yours', in reference to the persons body.
    Who/where/what is the 'you' that was walking yesterday? They don't exist any more! But you talk about it like it does. I'm afraid that is an illusion. But a very useful one!

The word does not only destinguish your body from others, but unites its experience of itself through time.
    I 100% agree with you here tbh. I was going to say to you 'but the past is irrelevant because it doesnt exist, it is just a memory', but you seem to have a true understanding of that already, I just didnt know you did. (no im not being condescending).
    You saying this stuff is actually adding more clarity tbh. It helps! Because it is an illusion, just a conscious thought is all thats left. The only thing that exists is reality right now. Nothing else.
    Maybe my belief of the past is one of those beliefs that still needs to be defused, but i dont think so , I am fully aware the past does not exist.

Your body just does it's thing all the time, regardless of whether you think there's a self in control or not. I'm glad it's better for you having no self.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe that your body/mind is free? As in, not totally determined by the laws of nature? Basically, 'determinism'.
    I dont believe in the laws of nature to be honest, I used to but not anymore, things just happen, existence happens and this brain is experiencing its existence. Things are not always conventionally 'correct' or 'incorrect'.

Also, the enlightenment of Zen Buddhism is said to be instantaneous upon realisation. It is not a process for them. Depnds on the school though, again.
    I know very little about teachings tbh. As Ive said I was never into this before. I am aware that that school is saying that realisation is instant, but as far as im aware it seems to take them years to reach that point of instant realisation. What they do during those years, im not too sure.
    Tbh Im probably coming across as ignorant at this stage because I know very very little about Buddhism etc.
    It is so a competition! Too bad for you I'm already an Ascended Master. If you guess which one I'll send you prayers from the Ultrazone.

not too sure if your joking:confused::D

your posts do help add clarity, im not sure if you see no self or not, I get the impression you dont see the self, but then you wouldnt debating it, or maybe you would I dont know.

not too sure if your joking:confused::D

your posts do help add clarity, im not sure if you see no self or not, I get the impression you dont see the self, but then you wouldnt debating it, or maybe you would I dont know.

I debate for fun. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on this. I recently had a permanent shift in perception in my mind. The 'me' no longer exists. It is gone, there is no me, just my brain, my body, my thoughts, but no me , no ego.
    This was not just an intellectual understanding or acknowledgement, but a true seeing and knowing, basically a realization.

The concept of a self is something that we have created through our behaviour, use of language, our methods of feeding individual identity into someone from a young age.
    But the truth is there is no controller, its just this body that is typing this existing in the Universe. It is liberating tbh.

Yes I do believe a you exists. Do you believe you exists?

I'd like to add an extra point here. I totally agree with you that there is no guiding ego or 'you' when you are engagin in activities of this nature. That is not the appropriate time to be in that state of mind. But as I mentioned in my last post, there is another state of mind, a unifying 'you-ness' that keeps your sense of self unified as an individual. Without it there would be no continuity in your life.

There is a time for the ego and a time for the egoless.
    the way ive been thought to address this is the use of the character, i.e. engaging in life with the fake 'you'. The fake ego, that actor. Im not saying that I force myself to live a lie just to do things in life, but your right, there is a time when you should switch on the 'ego'.

I debate for fun. :D
    hmmm that explains it!!:)

Yes I do believe a you exists. Do you believe you exists?
    no, thats what this whole thread is about:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭madison2011

I'm no philosopher but your info is suggesting you are overcompensating in the super-ego arena, your self/ego still exists. When you look in the mirror you still recognise yourself, true? See Lacans mirror stage- you gained recognition of self when you were about 18 months old. You are still a mere human thinking in a very human way. You are reflecting well and this is a good higher order sign though.

I'm no philosopher but your info is suggesting you are overcompensating in the super-ego arena, your self/ego still exists. When you look in the mirror you still recognise yourself, true? See Lacans mirror stage- you gained recognition of self when you were about 18 months old. You are still a mere human thinking in a very human way. You are reflecting well and this is a good higher order sign though.

maybe I am overcompensating, because Id only be lying if I told you that when I look in the mirror I dont see this body, just existence. Yes I see this person.
    But its still far far different than previous thoughts, and it wasnt something I learned over time, the realization was instant, ok , a bit of a battle for 2ish weeks, but when it popped it really popped in that split second.

So maybe there is two levels of ego, one is the natural one that was not formed by human interaction and language, and the other is the one that I popped , that illusion of self that we created from a young age. But I have been told this naturally gets much much deeper , bare in mind im only a few weeks into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ms.Odgeynist

maybe I am overcompensating, because Id only be lying if I told you that when I look in the mirror I dont see this body, just existence. Yes I see this person.
    But its still far far different than previous thoughts, and it wasnt something I learned over time, the realization was instant, ok , a bit of a battle for 2ish weeks, but when it popped it really popped in that split second.

So maybe there is two levels of ego, one is the natural one that was not formed by human interaction and language, and the other is the one that I popped , that illusion of self that we created from a young age. But I have been told this naturally gets much much deeper , bare in mind im only a few weeks into this.
    Good man yourself, I was only saying to himself yesterday that this self awareness is doing more harm than good. Take myself for instance, herself and myself were out for dinner the other night, and I realised I'd left my trousers at home. Now, what did herself do?, only start laughing away at me - well I needn't tell yourself, but didn't I get very self-conscious all of a sudden. The waiter made it worse when he told me to grab a hold of myself. Herself was mortified. So I had two choices 1. run home and put on a pair of trousers so that herself could regain some semblance of dignity, or 2. eliminate the self altogether so that my.... and her.... could just enjoy the dinner. I mentioned it to herself, but she said she was quite happy with her self and was very upset that I would even consider eliminating the self - her self anyway. She said "do whatever you want with your self, but leave my self out of it". So I thought to my self "hmmmm, I wish I was a philosopher".

[QUOTE that illusion of self that we created from a young age. But I have been told this naturally gets much much deeper , bare in mind im only a few weeks into this.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't yourself that created yourself - we all created it together. Language created it - and I'm afraid you're stuck with it. And a good thing too, its all you have - I admire anyone who wishes to enlighten themselves, but I recommend feeding the self rather than trying to escape it.

What is it only yourself that experiences the world? - that makes connections with other selves and craves acceptance and belonging? We, all of us, are here to self actualise! To build the self to the best of our abilities. The fiction that people are talking about here is only a fiction to the extent that we created it. But from that perspective we created everything in the sense that we either named it, or conceptualised it. Sure, the self is a construction, but we cannot un-construct it. We can deconstruct it in order to learn more about it, but in so doing, we can only learn about it subjectively, through the prism of our self.

What is it only yourself that experiences the world?

What is your definition of self? It looks like you've used it with a number of different meanings.

The self is transparent when you are actively engaged in the world. In effect, it disappears. It is always an underlying assumption but it is not present to experience. Subjective experience, as you say, does not necessarily include a self at all. As has been mentioned, many animals do not have a self but I think it safe to say that they have experience of some sort (subjective or not).

Since you have located the 'self' within language, the self only arises after it has been put into language. This is how you deconstruct it, through analysis of assumptions you have about yourself within the language you describe yourself through. This is why there is no concrete self underlying everything because it is merely a 'story' you have created about yourself. You can change the story as you please, within certain limits, and it is open to change at any time. There is no definitive self.

So the self your self thinks is itself through yourself is not self but a selfless self that is sometimes selfish. :pac:

This is why there is no concrete self underlying everything because it is merely a 'story' you have created about yourself. You can change the story as you please, within certain limits, and it is open to change at any time. There is no definitive self.

So the self your self thinks is itself through yourself is not self but a selfless self that is sometimes selfish. :pac:

Whether it is concrete, definitive or transparent, it is there.

It is what we are talking about. It is not what we are not talking about.
    We are each a self.

Whether it is concrete, definitive or transparent, it is there.

It is what we are talking about. It is not what we are not talking about.
    We are each a self.
    If a man is tripping on acid and sees a plant talking to him, whether it is concrete, definitive , transparent , its there. But its there as an illusion,

Superman is a character , he is not real, the character exists. The self is the same, it is not actually real, it exists as an illusion, which means it doesnt really exist.

You talk about feeding the self, thats what people try to do their whole lives, self improvement, self esteem, self confidence, affirmations, believing in your'self', the list goes on. When there is no self all that becomes completely irrelevant, you essentially forget and enjoy reality simply for what it is. This does not mean the life cannot be improved any more.

Where is this self? You say it is there. Where exactly?

If a man is tripping on acid and sees a plant talking to him, whether it is concrete, definitive , transparent , its there. But its there as an illusion,

Superman is a character , he is not real, the character exists. The self is the same, it is not actually real, it exists as an illusion, which means it doesnt really exist.

You talk about feeding the self, thats what people try to do their whole lives, self improvement, self esteem, self confidence, affirmations, believing in your'self', the list goes on. When there is no self all that becomes completely irrelevant, you essentially forget and enjoy reality simply for what it is. This does not mean the life cannot be improved any more.

Where is this self? You say it is there. Where exactly?

What enjoys reality?

the brain, the body, the nerves, the experience still exists in this brain.
    A self is not needed for reality to be enjoyed, when a fish is bathing at the riverbed on a warm day, I can only presume its enjoying itself, do you think a fish has a self? ?Nope the fish is just enjoying reality.

A self is not required for a human being to be human. The self doesnt exist, its only an illusion, a powerful thought or affirmation caused by language as you have acknowledged yourself.
    Like my example of the fear of spiders, its not real , its an illusion, it doesnt actually make sense that someone should feel like they are going to die when they see a harmless spider in the room.

• Advertisement

the brain, the body, the nerves, the experience still exists in this brain.
    A self is not needed for reality to be enjoyed, when a fish is bathing at the riverbed on a warm day, I can only presume its enjoying itself, do you think a fish has a self? ?Nope the fish is just enjoying reality.

A self is not required for a human being to be human. The self doesnt exist, its only an illusion, a powerful thought or affirmation caused by language as you have acknowledged yourself.
    Like my example of the fear of spiders, its not real , its an illusion, it doesnt actually make sense that someone should feel like they are going to die when they see a harmless spider in the room.

OK - just so I get you - the 'self' doesn't exist, but the enjoyment of a fish does!!! That fish is in a constant state of enjoyment?...or does it's mood swing from time to time?

What you're talking about is social constructionism - and I'm fascinated by the idea. But stating that the self is an illusion, and then discussing 'reality' on the other hand is short sighted. What you are saying is that the self is n illusion - fair enough - so is enjoyment, not to mention time, distance, love, happiness, and ...well....everything really. If these things are illusions to you because they exist in the mind, then fair enough. But you don't get to choose the 'self' and nothing else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement