Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche 924 - steering

• 30-04-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

hi folks,

I'm thinking of buying a 924 and was wondering if any of ye who have driven one could tell me how you got on with no power steering? I figure all is well when you're on the road, but what about parking in tight spots etc? As the 924 is renowned for being fun to drive, I'd adjust to it I'm sure, but I just want to make sure I'd doing the right thing by buying a car with no p/s!

Thanks for reading!

Enda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NedKinsella

Steering is quite heavy at low speeds such as parking etc but fine on the road. You will get used to it in a very short time. 924 s are great fun to drive, handle very well but be careful on wet roads. They are also relatively simple cars and very reliable.

By the way iI have a nice 924 for sale if you have not already bought one. If interested contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Cheers, I just PMd you there.

Bought that '79 924 today and drove it 150 miles home without a hitch; everything works as it should as a lot of work was done on it recently. Seems it was totally rebuilt about 18 years ago, so it's a lot fresher than it should be. There's a 944 gearbox on there also, which is a treat to use. I'd love to raise the steering wheel and widen the clutch pedal, as managing the gears in the limited space take a bit of effort, but overall it's a great drive - SLOW but a good steady cruiser.

As your were saying, the steering is great on the open road, even on smaller country roads, but for parking, it's a real pain in the A$$! Was wondering if a PAS rack could be installed, I saw one here on eBay and pondered:PORSCHE 944 924S POWER STEERING RACK PA

Good luck with the 924. it sounds like a good one. 79 is the ideal year, low vrt and no nct ever.
    Personally I wouldnt botheer with power steering as you will get used to it. Its just something else to go wrong. Im not sure if its a straight forward conversion, depends how the pump is driven I suppose. While acceleration is not exciting by todays standards the top speed is about 125 mph which is very fast by the standards of the 70s. Try it on a twisty DRY road and see how it handles. They drive around bends like they are on rails as long as its dry, dont try any heroics in the wet though because they go wrong way around very easily. What part of the country are you in? Do you plan using it as a daily driver or just for classic use?

• Advertisement

I asked about that part and it's not compatible, worth asking about anyways. As you say, I am getting used to parking etc, it's OK and just requires a bit of effort :0) Acceleration is bad compared to modern cars but I expected that, so no surprises there. I'm in Sligo, and my favourite road so far is the N59 on the way to Ballina,as I know it very well and there are loads of twists and turns on it. The smaller roads off this main road are even better fun, but as I've less visibility than before, due to sitting low to the ground, I tend to be very cautious! I imagine it'd pretty tail happy in the wet, never mind frosty conditions, yikes!

I'm going to use it a few times a week, as my girlfriend and I have a family car for every-day use. She's away this week and I've a nice Recaro child seat in the front for our 2 year old, he simply loves "Dadda's blue car". No luck in getting a seat into the back, there aren't even any seat belts! I might get a pair though, just in case we're stuck some time and all need to travel in the 924. We did it last night, as I left our second car at the train station in the morning as I went to pick up the new motor. Our 2 year old was in the front and she was in the back, but with her legs in the front as well :0) Lots of room for the dog in the boot as well, when the back seats are forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Heh, 924's have 2-point rear seatbelts, so its like sitting into an old rollercoaster ride :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My 1983 supposedly has the mounting points for three point seatbelts. I even bought a set on eBay but then didn't have to inclination (or the balls) to fit them as it involved piercing my black leather seats! They can be fitted though.

The lack of power steering is a bit of a pain for parking alright, just make sure you have full tire pressure in the fronts as even 5 psi down your arms will be hanging off!

There's a bunch of us here with 924's who've dealt with a few issues in our time. Post here with any probs! Also you could do worse than join the UK forum www.porsche924.co.uk as they have loads of experts there.

Now, enough talk, post up some pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

HiKite wrote: »
    I asked about that part and it's not compatible, worth asking about anyways. As you say, I am getting used to parking etc, it's OK and just requires a bit of effort :0)

Have you considered a Corsa-based electric PAS conversion? They don't cost much and have been applied successfully to a pretty wide range of classics at this stage. No downside if they fail either - you're just back to non-assisted steering.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=128180&page=&contribmessage=none

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226064

http://vwcaddy.bravehost.com/

sure, here are a few rough pics: '24

I decided to get a Recaro seat for my 2 year old, it looks the part in the front :) Don't see how I could get anything decent in the back for him, which is a pity, as that means my girlfriend has to sit in the back, which is comical.. I'll have to keep looking for something that works in the back seat, starting with roller-coaster-style belts I think :D

I just joined the forum over the way, looks very comprehensive :0)

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Have you considered a Corsa-based electric PAS conversion? They don't cost much and have been applied successfully to a pretty wide range of classics at this stage. No downside if they fail either - you're just back to non-assisted steering.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=128180&page=&contribmessage=none

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226064

http://vwcaddy.bravehost.com/

Very interesting, I wouldn't attempt it myself but I know someone who might take it on. It'd make a huge difference if it was successful!

Another improvement would be to upgrade the brakes, the 2 drums and 2 discs on there aren't great to be honest! :eek:

I'm sure I'll have a long list of things at the end of the summer that I'll want to upgrade, as I miss my turbos; but I love the handling of this '24, it corners way better than my TDS did, as the steering had started to get a little vauge! :pac:

Another good reason for PAS, I could get a smaller steering wheel. :) At the moment, I have to (how do I say this) spread my legs to get them past the wheel, then point my feet back inwards to work the pedals. Not comfortable!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Another 924 on boards, welcome. Your 924 has the 944 bumpers,wheels. I see you have the Pascha interior like my 924. I clay bared, T-cut and cleaned my girl over the weekend and she is already dirty!

I might clay bar her and see what that spray job really looks like afterwards. They sprayed some blue paint onto the wheels also, unbelievable :confused: And yep, she'll be dirty again in a couple of days!

The low steering wheel is the only annoying thing about driving the 924. Everything thing else is perfect, gear-change,clutch, all the controls are excellent. That said its not too bad but its a pain when your trying to feed in some opposite lock in the wet!

Definitely, I'd actually live with the lack of PAS if this wasn't the case. A smaller wheel might help a bit but not without PAS. I've asked a friend to look into it for me in a couple of months when he's back from college. I wonder if there's enough room under the steering column for that electric Corsa unit though!

All this said, yeah, the gearbox is beautiful, really enjoyable to use, everything else about the car is great, it handles corners beautifully. I'll have to adjust to the rest, for the time being :)

I've a momo steering wheel in mine, really the business, small & kinda elliptical to the sides, excellent for taking swift turns :D

a_v525 wrote: »
    I've a momo steering wheel in mine, really the business, small & kinda elliptical to the sides, excellent for taking swift turns :D

cool, would you post a pic of it in the car, or even the exact name of it might do the trick. Cheers..

I really like the blue colour, HiKite! Guessing it's not original or the interior isn't!

You'll have to do something with the yellow alloys (black?) and get a flap to cover that red filler cap though!
    I think it will scrub very nicely.

Enjoy. :)

924steeringwheel.th.jpg

Not the best pic of it but it is a nice size. The wheel was on it when i bought it, but I reckon it would be cheap enought to change a wheel, you can buy steering wheels cheap enough.

Thats why I said the pic is bad, you're looking down on it so it looks bigger, if you notice from the centre, he wheel is actually shorter at the bottom, its not exactly round, like I said, bad pic :( it is a pretty sweet wheel, really comfortable.
    You have the same interior as mine

I'm working on that...

really hate the brown pascha and the light brown carpets mite be getting rid of the seats in the next month or two. the front two are a bit ripped but the rear is mint & has the two-point belts if you want to take it away FOC,
    but first I have to get the replacement seats sorted :rolleyes:

Dades wrote: »
    I really like the blue colour, HiKite! Guessing it's not original or the interior isn't!

You'll have to do something with the yellow alloys (black?) and get a flap to cover that red filler cap though!
    I think it will scrub very nicely.

Cheers, there are a few bits I need to sort alright:

1. Drivers door mechanism is damaged. I managed to get the door card off and discovered that the 2 white plastic pieces that hold the cable in place have broken. Tiny parts but vital! Have searched eBay with no success yet.

2. Drivers electric window needs to be realigned.

3. Wear and tear on the Drivers seat, not too bad though, I might get away with doing it myself, as it's just a split in the fabric.

4. Replacement rubbers needed for the front windscreen, and around the car in a few places. Searched eBay, haven't found them yet.

5. Spare keys needed, as only one came with the car.

6. Petrol cap and flap needed, preferably lockable!!

7. Smaller steering wheel. I like this type but will have to settle for something cheaper: MOMO Commando R

• Advertisement

924steeringwheel.th.jpg

Not the best pic of it but it is a nice size. The wheel was on it when i bought it, but I reckon it would be cheap enought to change a wheel, you can buy steering wheels cheap enough.

Thanks for that, it looks good, even against the brown dash; I've the same colour dash and was wondering if a black wheel would look out of place but it doesn't, thankfully!

HiKite wrote: »
    5. Spare keys needed, as only one came with the car.
    I had the original ignition key cut in a regular key cut place, without having to give them a blank. If you found somewhere 'old school' - I'm sure they could do the same.

Good look with the rest of it. I need to sort out my own windows too!

I have the two porsche original keys, but the porsche crest & the mini light are missing :'( (30 years, what can ya do)

I'm sure Porsche in Dublni would make an original key for you but expect to pay big bucks, but as Dades mentioned, any key cutter will make it for you, you can buy blank porsche keys from ebay & if you bring it in they should cut it onto that for you

You can get the petrol caps for pittance on ebay, or stick up a wanted on the 924oc website, someone will always have one hangin about, It seems you already have the locker cap in your pic? so you just need the flap.

You can get rubbers from GSF carparts I think or the Porsche shop UK (and you get a discount if registered on 924oc), check that forum for more info,

Good luck with the car, looks stunning in that colour & with the 944 bodykit

I have the two porsche original keys, but the porsche crest & the mini light are missing :'( (30 years, what can ya do)

I'm sure Porsche in Dublni would make an original key for you but expect to pay big bucks, but as Dades mentioned, any key cutter will make it for you, you can buy blank porsche keys from ebay & if you bring it in they should cut it onto that for you

You can get the petrol caps for pittance on ebay, or stick up a wanted on the 924oc website, someone will always have one hangin about, It seems you already have the locker cap in your pic? so you just need the flap.

You can get rubbers from GSF carparts I think or the Porsche shop UK (and you get a discount if registered on 924oc), check that forum for more info,

Good luck with the car, looks stunning in that colour & with the 944 bodykit

Cheers for all the info. I'm making enquiries about 2nd hand steering wheels, do you reckon a Flat Bottomed 320mm wheel would be sufficient to handle the weight of the car while parking etc?

Good question, I know how much effort is required to turn while parking, to be honest, I wouldnt know off-hand, My service history includes an engineer's report from the steering wheel change which states its roadworthiness, I'll try to dig it out & see if it includes specifications.

This seller: http://cgi.ebay.ie/STEERING-WHEEL-PORSCHE-911-938-924-968-TURBO-BOXTER-/170613287812?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b9582b84 states in the item desc that its for a 924 but then states its universal & its 350mm.

Maybe an indie mechanic might be able to advise you?

Good question, I know how much effort is required to turn while parking, to be honest, I wouldnt know off-hand, My service history includes an engineer's report from the steering wheel change which states its roadworthiness, I'll try to dig it out & see if it includes specifications.

This seller: http://cgi.ebay.ie/STEERING-WHEEL-PORSCHE-911-938-924-968-TURBO-BOXTER-/170613287812?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b9582b84 states in the item desc that its for a 924 but then states its universal & its 350mm.

Maybe an indie mechanic might be able to advise you?

got this info from one of the guys on the Uk forum:

"Quite a few cars were fitted with seat raisers from the factory.
    Check between the seat rails and the seat base for bright ali blocks.
    Lowers the seat by 15mm or so.

A recent new owner technical thread covered this with pictures I think...."

Very cool indeed, hope mine hasn't been lowered already :)

This is the thread theyre on about: http://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=8193

I never even knew about those blocks, interesting, i might take them out of the '24 & put them in the mother's fiesta, she has about 3 cushions so shecan see out over the wheel.... :rolleyes:

This is the thread theyre on about: http://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=8193

I never even knew about those blocks, interesting, i might take them out of the '24 & put them in the mother's fiesta, she has about 3 cushions so shecan see out over the wheel.... :rolleyes:

Great thread, this popped out almost immediately "Just a personal remark on too small a steering wheel. If you go too small a steering wheel, the car becomes un-driveable in my opinion. You need minimum 355mm to correctly set up the car whilst making small adjustments. Do these small adjustments with anything smaller than 355mm and you are in the hedge or in the armco."..

Dades wrote: »

You'll have to do something with the yellow alloys (black?)

I'll probably end up trading these wheels for the more conservative looking phone dial wheels, call me old fashioned!

Eventually, I'd hope to replace the interior with an all black leather look :)

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

:D sorry lightening, couldn't resist

Advertisement