Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips elegant 24 inch Full HD LED monitor (ibood)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Looks like a good deal have to say but to be honest the shipping sounds to cheap....

I would not buy Phillips at all myself i would like the same offer but a samsung instead.

I have never heard of ibood.com at all are they a good site ? to order off.

Ah see you should always trust your Instincts.....

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

iBood have been around for a while and are perfectly fine.

Decent price for what you get, but "smart contrast" has me shying away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So not a good monitor?

Has any one actually order it, I can't as I keep getting an error on the page. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HumpM

Just ordered one tho I got the error when paying with paypal seems to get good reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Not a good monitor for gaming seriously on as it seems to just be 60hz. Looks good value for money though if you're not intending to play games too seriously! 24" as well and nice looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Just ordered mine there with no problem. Frankly your not going to find another 24" monitor at near that price. The monitor is nothing amazing, but if you just want a good 24" monitor that price is too good to turn down.

I bought my current monitor from them about 18 months ago, so i have no worries ordering from ibood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

dont forget to go through fatcheese for 6%cashback from ibood

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Looks like a good deal have to say but to be honest the shipping sounds to cheap....

I would not buy Phillips at all myself i would like the same offer but a samsung instead.

I have never heard of ibood.com at all are they a good site ? to order off.

Ah see you should always trust your Instincts.....

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

Roboshatner,

I have bought stuff from ibood several times, from a alarm clock to a home theatre system (similar to ydays ibood) and never had any problem.
    They use a standard shipping fee for all their products and the only complaint i can think off is that the delivery is rather slow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A balls to that, I can't order a thing off them at all. Very odd that.
    Tried different laptops and all.

Could really have done with one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ask over on the Richer Sounds forum if they'll pricematch it.

Can't see why they shouldn't be able to. Even if it cost a couple of quid more, you'd be better off dealing with John, Ash, and the rest of the gang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whore

jive wrote: »
    Not a good monitor for gaming seriously on as it seems to just be 60hz. Looks good value for money though if you're not intending to play games too seriously! 24" as well and nice looking

since when is 60hz not good enough to play games?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Problem with ibood is shipping and no customer service .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

whore wrote: »

With technology development some people (...philes) evolved to see and hear things no one could hear or see before. Some audiophiles who can hear CD probing frequencies (44kHz) when 50 years ago most people couldn't hear anything above 19kHZ. Same with TV resolution - soon people will start to see pixels in cinema - iphone's retina display is 4' and 480x854 - so 24' TV should be 2880x5124 pixels :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Right o.k so its good to know people are ordering off it.

But has any had problems with the site like say getting refunds and sending back stuff.

If there are no problems with any of that id be willing to order off the site.
    inforfun wrote: »
    Roboshatner,

I have bought stuff from ibood several times, from a alarm clock to a home theatre system (similar to ydays ibood) and never had any problem.
    They use a standard shipping fee for all their products and the only complaint i can think off is that the delivery is rather slow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

But has any had problems with the site like say getting refunds and sending back stuff.

If there are no problems with any of that id be willing to order off the site.

Their has been many a problem with sending things back and refunds. I gave up on part of a refund I was due about 2 years ago. Just wasn't worth the hassle anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Modern consoles output at 50Hz or 60Hz. Pretty much any TV sold nowadays will be capable of both.

The main things for console gamers are input lag (delay between receiving a frame and displaying it) and pixel response time (lower response time means less ghosting).

And I wouldn't go with manufacturer claims for either of these, find an independent review.

whore wrote: »
    Modern consoles output at 50Hz or 60Hz. Pretty much any TV sold nowadays will be capable of both.

The main things for console gamers are input lag (delay between receiving a frame and displaying it) and pixel response time (lower response time means less ghosting).

And I wouldn't go with manufacturer claims for either of these, find an independent review.

For PC though I've noticed that with low Hz the smoothness of the game can change. It will seem jerkier on 60Hz for example in comparison to 120Hz. It is good enough to play games but if you are buying the monitor and you play a lot of games I wouldn't get it. Many people wouldn't notice the difference. I got a new monitor a few years ago but ended up reverting back to my CRT when playing games because it was much smoother. Like I said though most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you showed them. If you play games a lot or competitively I just wouldn't advise that monitor. It would play games decently enough obviously, all monitors today would. It wouldn't be ideal though!
    /end rambling

zom wrote: »
    With technology development some people (...philes) evolved to see and hear things no one could hear or see before. Some audiophiles who can hear CD probing frequencies (44kHz) when 50 years ago most people couldn't hear anything above 19kHZ. Same with TV resolution - soon people will start to see pixels in cinema - iphone's retina display is 4' and 480x854 - so 24' TV should be 2880x5124 pixels :-)

I hate technology snobs :pac: I appear like I'm one of them now. Trust me though if you have a CRT now you might have high Hz and then change to this and it might seem jerkier. It's like when you look at tvs in a shop you can see the different qualities of the picture. If you are used to playing games on a high Hz monitor and go back to one with low Hz you will be able to tell the difference! Those who don't know any better should fire away though by all means, you don't know the good life until you've had a taste of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

For PC though I've noticed that with low Hz the smoothness of the game can change. It will seem jerkier on 60Hz for example in comparison to 120Hz. It is good enough to play games but if you are buying the monitor and you play a lot of games I wouldn't get it. Many people wouldn't notice the difference. I got a new monitor a few years ago but ended up reverting back to my CRT when playing games because it was much smoother. Like I said though most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you showed them. If you play games a lot or competitively I just wouldn't advise that monitor. It would play games decently enough obviously, all monitors today would. It wouldn't be ideal though!
    /end rambling
    I hate technology snobs :pac: I appear like I'm one of them now. Trust me though if you have a CRT now you might have high Hz and then change to this and it might seem jerkier. It's like when you look at tvs in a shop you can see the different qualities of the picture. If you are used to playing games on a high Hz monitor and go back to one with low Hz you will be able to tell the difference! Those who don't know any better should fire away though by all means, you don't know the good life until you've had a taste of it :pac:

Your problem a few years ago was with the response time, not the refresh rate.
    90% of LCD monitors are going to be running at 60/75hz - that's not the problem.
    Especially considering you had this LCD a few years ago, the likelihood was that your monitor was just bad, and it had a very high response time which made it feel sluggish in comparison to your CRT. That's completely understandable because I used to switch from my LCD to a CRT whenever I was playing games.

In simple terms, if you want to compare the 'performance' of a CRT compared to that of an LCD in gaming, you would be comparing the refresh rate of a CRT to the response time of an LCD.
    For gaming, 100hz+ is a absolute must on a CRT, but it's not for an LCD.

The problem with LCD technology in games is the response time and you'd want something as low as possible.
    It's the time it takes for the monitor to change a pixel from one colour to the next which is usually (not always) measured in black to white to black again.
    When you're playing a fast paced game and your monitor's response time can't keep up, you will get a ghosting effect which will pretty much ruin your experience altogether.

Unfortunately, a lot of manufacturers bend the truth when it comes to response times and I think the method of calculating the response times changed a few years ago as far as I can remember (changed from black/white/black to gray/white/gray which made the response times much much lower) so there are very, very misleading numbers thrown about unless you're reading from an actual independent monitor review site.

There are ways of testing your actual response time yourself. I had a little program that I found a year or two ago that flashed black/white/grey images onto your screen and you could gauge your own response time - I'll try find it again if I can.

Edit: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/downloads/PixPerAn.zip - Here's one program. Seems even better than the one I used before.
    In the car test, a CRT will only display 1 car the whole time, but an LCD will usually have a few images of the car 'fading' away behind the actual car. That's the ghosting effect. The less ghosting, the lower your response time is.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm < Great write up explaining response times there.

Anyways, seems like a good monitor for the price.

It wasn't the response time because IIRC the response time was 2ms (is it ms? can't even remember anymore :pac:). The LCD was fine for gaming but it was -slightly- more jittery than the CRT. When you played games as much as I did it was annoying. Also the LCD was good at the time but in comparison to today I can't imagine it fares well.

Thanks for the info anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

It wasn't the response time because IIRC the response time was 2ms (is it ms? can't even remember anymore :pac:). The LCD was fine for gaming but it was -slightly- more jittery than the CRT. When you played games as much as I did it was annoying. Also the LCD was good at the time but in comparison to today I can't imagine it fares well.

Thanks for the info anyway

No worries.

As I said, manufacturers changed the way of measuring the response time from black to white to black.... to grey to white to grey.
    It obviously takes an LCD less time to go between grey and white as it does to go from black to white, so overnight, response times went dramatically down without the monitors actually improving.
    It's a bit of a deceptive way of making a monitor sound better than it actually is.
    That and this 'overdrive' technology was what gave some monitors unusually low response times, like the one you mentioned (2ms) without genuinely being that good for games.

I'd take a CRT any day of the week over an LCD for games!

Anyways, enough about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Has anyone received their order yet? I ordered this on the 30th of April and I'm still waiting for an update on delivery status.
    "As soon as your order has left our warehouse, we will send you a track & trace code via email"
    Nothing as of yet.......... not looking good! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Same here haven't heard a thing since I ordered it. Money gone from my paypal account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

I haven't got mine yet either but don't worry Ibood is quite slow with delivery but you will get the item. If you log in to ibood.ie you can check your order status. When it has shipped the status will change from "order paid" to "order sent". It normally takes a few weeks to arrive, i'd only get concerned after 3 weeks.

Practical wrote: »
    Has anyone received their order yet? I ordered this on the 30th of April and I'm still waiting for an update on delivery status.
    "As soon as your order has left our warehouse, we will send you a track & trace code via email"
    Nothing as of yet.......... not looking good! :(

"Not looking good?" Have you read the T&C's on their site?
    "Delivery: 7 to 10 business days"

So considering that the 30th of April was 10 days ago, 5 of them are actually Business Days, how can you say "Not looking good" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Mines shipped already and is currently in transit in the uk with UPS tracking. Should have it in the morning I'd say. No complaints on iboods shipping here. Have ordered from them a few times and sometimes they can be slow but everything always turns up eventually :P

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Mines shipped already and is currently in transit in the uk with UPS tracking. Should have it in the morning I'd say. No complaints on iboods shipping here. Have ordered from them a few times and sometimes they can be slow but everything always turns up eventually :P

Same at that, its generally 2 weeks when it arrives.

GStormcrow wrote: »

Same as that. This is my first purchase from ibood so I hope I won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 HumpM

Mine arrived this Morning happy out with it , plenty of space now :)

dua.jpg

• Advertisement

Monitor delivered by courier and all set up. Works perfect and looks very nice as well. A great price for what looks like a quality monitor. Will definitely be buying from ibood again. I was a bit worried as the price seemed too good to be true.

Advertisement