Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Rival

Options
  • 29-04-2011 1:05am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since I may have a race on my hands, i need to upgrade!

Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Rival

As the title suggests i've been looking at the above bike as an upgrade to my current flat bar giant FCR4, which has served me well. I'm going to be using the cycle to work scheme on this one, I see there's a distributor in Athlone who deal Planet X bikes.

This will be my first bike with drop bars, so i'll probably have to try one out to get sizing sorted for it. But the main thing I was wondering are there any other options available to me, keeping in mind that i'll be using the cycle to work scheme?

Sorry for another "What will i buy threads!!". But you guys know you're stuff...and I don't!

Cheers

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

There's all ways other options when buying a bike, but over thinking the choices can lead to needlessly delaying the purchase (speaking from experience here).

I have the Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Rival a year now and love it, big up-grade from my Giant Defy 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You will not get a better bike for near that price IMO. I have the same, but with Ultegra. Excellent bike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had been doing my research, so i was pretty sold on the idea before even asking the question!:D

This pretty much seals the deal. Cheers for the replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I apologise for hijacking the thread...but

How does the Planet X compare with something like the Focus Cayo 105?

How does Rival compare to 105. I'm pretty sure Rival is considered better, is there much difference?

I think the Focus Cayo looks better :(

I have had both the Cayo (with Ultega SL) and the Planet X SL Pro (with Ultegra 6700.) I much prefer the Planet X, which is also a lot lighter than the Focus.

Rival is generally considered to be between 105 and Ultegra. Whether you get it or 105 would depend more on which you prefer from a hood shape/shifting technique basis, both work fine but you may prefer one or the other.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »
    I have had both the Cayo (with Ultega SL) and the Planet X SL Pro (with Ultegra 6700.) I much prefer the Planet X, which is also a lot lighter than the Focus.

Thanks! To continue the hijack...

Why? Position, stiffness, comfort, (looks)?

Lighter (a lot, around 1kg) and stiffer. I wouldn't say it was any more (or less) comfortable, and most don't think it looks better, I think I would prefer the looks of the Focus if it came down to it.

Position exactly the same, that is down to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

I have been researching both ultegra and rival groupsets. The majority or user reviews rate rival as better than ultegra with the exception of the breaks.
    for your information

bike reader

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Just buy it with Campa Athena and you 're sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The SL Pro Carbon is pretty easy to size, it's super compact and there are a limited range of frame sizes, so most of your setup will be determinded by seatpost height, saddle position and stem length.

Really nice bike.

• Advertisement

macken04 wrote: »
    I have been researching both ultegra and rival groupsets. The majority or user reviews rate rival as better than ultegra with the exception of the breaks.
    for your information

bike reader
    I wouldn't agree with that at all, most people put it between 105 and Ultegra and even that was before Shimano updated their groups. But both work, it is personal preference as to which ergonomics you prefer. All the 10 speed groups are good enough for any level of amateur racing never mind sportives.

Rival is very good value but I would take Ultegra 6700 over it any day. Ultegra 6700 is a fair bit more expensive though (RRP is ~€325 higher according to BikeRadar) so it is not a straight comparison. For the money Rival is probably better value.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You're gonna need something like this if we're making it a bike race:

ttbike.jpg
    Not sure if you can do it for under €1k though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Rival is very good value but I would take Ultegra 6700 over it any day. Ultegra 6700 is a fair bit more expensive though (RRP is ~€325 higher according to BikeRadar) so it is not a straight comparison. For the money Rival is probably better value.

And I would take Rival over Ultegra myself (and did :) )

It's all personal opinions, and will all work fine -go for what makes you happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

have the same bike but with ultegra6700.

can't fault it one bit.

The only thing i could fault was me putting it together, and not knowing much about doing it, but that's just me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

All the 10 speed groups are good enough for any level of amateur racing never mind sportives.
    But won't the OP and Captain Havoc be staking their boards wages on this one?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Lemag wrote: »
    But won't the OP and Captain Havoc be staking their boards wages on this one?

Yeah and the loser has to wear a dress for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Yeah and the loser has to wear a dress for a week.
    Let me expand on that. Both competitors have to each wear a dress for the duration of the contest. The loser will then have to wear the dress of the winner for the week immediately after the race followed immediately by another week in the fetching attire which they'd raced in for the contest.

edit - I don't think that there's a better bike out there than the PX for that kind of money, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Just re the PX, I'll probably be looking for a new bike given my crash this week, and the bike thats ruined cost me around the same price as a PX, is the carbon a significant upgrade from an alu bike and would it be suitable to commute on ? I guess my question basically is would the c€1,200 spent replacing my Z85 be better spent on a PX ?

Yes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Looking at the Planet X Nanolight High Modulus Campagnolo Athena.
    I see they can be got on the bike to work scheme from that place in Athlone...hmmm interesting ;)

Any opinions on the Campag Athena or on the bike itself?

• Advertisement

I've no experience of the bike (or groupo) myself but I've heard the Nanolight is built to to take max 22mm Tyres.

Personally I'd rather save/spend the €400 difference on something else.

Nano- http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXNAHMA/nanolight-high-modulus-campagnolo-athena

SL Pro- http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPCAAT/sl-pro-carbon-with-campag-athena

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

The Nanolight has clearance for 22mm tyres, the Nanolight High Modulus has clearance for 24mm tyres.

As to whether the Nanolight is worth €400 over the SL Pro is moot (but only in my opinion:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

I also have my eye half on one of these at the moment, in terms of bang per buck they seem hard to beat. Been having a nose around the net this evening and found this review on BikeRadar.com, which while giving it a complementary review, also makes a point about the flex in the frame.

Is this something that's a worry? I'm not sure how much/if my current steed moves about, I've a feeling it's probably too heavy to flex - Specialized Allez.

Interesting question. I'd be coming from the same bike too and would love to hear answers. I'm not heavy but I do like to get up of the saddle.

I wish I could find a review of the nanolight...

I haven't noticed much flex on my PX SL Pro, maybe a tad when really pushing it, but that may be down to bad high cadence form which I'm trying to fix by getting used to spinning faster without bouncing up and down on the saddle :pac:

I don't find it flexy, indeed I find it stiffer than other bikes I have had. Others disagree but they are not always PX owners- and are often comparing against bikes three times the price (or more.) It is entirely good enough for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

lafors wrote: »
    Looking at the Planet X Nanolight High Modulus Campagnolo Athena.
    I see they can be got on the bike to work scheme from that place in Athlone...hmmm interesting ;)

Any opinions on the Campag Athena or on the bike itself?

I have Athena, I love it. Takes a while to "bed in", but once it does it is awesome. Just be sure you like the shape and feel of campagnolo hoods and shifters, after all that is what really matters.

Just be prepared for the awkwardness of servicing a campagnolo bike and it may mess up any compatibility with your existing bikes, so if you have fancy shimano wheels, etc. take that into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I don't find it flexy, indeed I find it stiffer than other bikes I have had. Others disagree but they are not always PX owners- and are often comparing against bikes three times the price (or more.) It is entirely good enough for racing.

Those that know me, will know that I am not exactly the smallest of people weight wise, I have had my PX for just over 2 years now, and find it perfectly fine, no flex (wish I could say the same for wheels). Even had a bad crash on it a couple of months ago, and it was my wheels that got damaged, the frame was perfectly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Athlone only lists the nano on the website, I assume that you can still order the sl pro from them? Also - is that sexy weave finish on the frame gone with this years model?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭douglastubbs

Looking to finally get bike (Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Rival) and have a quesion on sizing. I'm just about 5ft 10 and wondering is it safer to get a medium size bike rather than large (Planet x - were great over the phone going through the geometry, sixing etc) but would appreciate opinion from anyone who has got the bike.
    Thanks

Advertisement