Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper in your opinion

Options
  • 27-04-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

For me, my favourite chipper is Pinetos, as I find it has the nicest chips and a great battered sausage.

Best chipper in your opinion 84 votes

Pinetos
    0%
    Jokers
    35%
    MyPerfectCousinbren2002skibumacostelloe1jellybaby21toitlebogeakCharlie-Bravomikedragon32JonegeTom123youknowwhoWelsh WizardconlofPablo SanchezRayMThe GuidediddlybitCmackkev91 30 votes
    Sweeney's
    33%
    eigrodjoblessMulliematt-dublinswingkingEarlsiegrousersmellytinkerglenjamincavemeisterHUNKJammyccheese-eaterHunttheaevkrietureeilo1cooper90ColilfcRunningFlyer 28 votes
    Henry & Rose, Kilcoole
    17%
    matt-dublinPigwidgeonaynneonexshayxheavyballsciaran67bogtreaderjclare562011littlemaxiThe Durutti Columnthe Lamb PostOsnapitsarijaydee30walnut grove 15 votes
    Atari Jaguar burger and chips
    13%
    RobertrThe Real B-manmarkestSparks115Cheeky ChopsTomatopsycho-hopebidoLEINRAMPAGE1cocker5 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Jokers
    This should be a poll...Pinetos for me although I haven't tried a lot of the other places.

Here's a list of chippers to start:

1. Pinetos

2. Jokers

3. Sweeney's

4. Henry & Rose Kilcoole

Can't think of any others...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

astrofluff wrote: »
    This should be a poll...Pinetos for me although I haven't tried a lot of the other places.

Here's a list of chippers to start:

1. Pinetos

2. Jokers

3. Sweeney's

4. Henry & Rose Kilcoole

Can't think of any others...

Poll added. :)

Jokers
    thanks Damo - proper Boards.ie edicate requires the 'don't care' poll be Atari Jaguar!!!!

astrofluff wrote: »
    thanks Damo - proper Boards.ie edicate requires the 'don't care' poll be Atari Jaguar!!!!

Sorted. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Henry & Rose, Kilcoole
    Sweeneys is the best in my opinion.
    My wife and i had a lovely fresh cod and chips on saturday we went and sat
    up at the seat looked out to sea fed the crows.
    Heaven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Jokers
    FionnBarr wrote: »
    For me, my favourite chipper is Pinetos, as I find it has the nicest chips and a great battered sausage.

I like pinetos chips but wouldn't call any of the battered food available 'great'.
    Are there any chippys that get fresh uncooked sausages and fish and batter them themselves? I only see pre battered and part cooked food available.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Henry & Rose, Kilcoole
    As far i know sweeneys batter it fresh.
    I didnt pay full attention on saturday.
    Maybe someone else can confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Henry & Rose, Kilcoole
    I'm pretty sure Sweeney's is fresh battered. As far as I know all of their stuff is done freshly there. I think it's the nicest by far, their chicken burgers are great as are their chips.

Although, Henry & Rose in Bray is one of the best I've been too, I haven't tried the one in Kilcoole.

kateos2 wrote: »

Although, Henry & Rose in Bray is one of the best I've been too, I haven't tried the one in Kilcoole.

It has the same great taste. :)

Forgot to mention, if anyone feels a nice chipper has been left out just let me know and i will add them to the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 littlemaxi

Henry & Rose, Kilcoole
    While it might not be that local, for me the best chipper by a mile is Linos on the Dublin road in Bray.
    We always make a detour off N11/M11 if we are passing that way late of an evening... and if it happens to be a Wednesday even better as they do fish and chips for a fiver all day. really nice homemade chips cooked to perfection! Wish i had some now lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

if kilcoole is on it newtown wouldnt be that far away and in my honest opinion is far the best in wicklow.marios of newtown for me.the curry chips are proper,and the fillet burger is very tasty or try marios whirrly burger.i know it being in newtown would put people of stopping but give it a try when you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Jokers
    I think henry and rose in kilcoole is a bit hit and miss.
    I have had very good fish and chips there, think great and go again next time and get very dissapointed. They do however always do great portions and if i wasnt so greedy could easily share a bag of chips between two.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Sweeney's
    You can get some good chips around the ares but does anyone know where you can pick up a decent 1/4 pounder? I think the burgers around Greystones are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Jokers
    Mullie wrote: »
    You can get some good chips around the ares but does anyone know where you can pick up a decent 1/4 pounder? I think the burgers around Greystones are terrible.

Tesco finest angus fresh beef burgers
    > barbecue

So much better than the chipper versions....

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Pnetos by a furlong!:D

Got a nice bag of chips in Jokers tonight. Had to wait a good while but they eventually came and they where good.

Jokers
    Its great when the poll is public and you can look at the voters and who they voted for - I was never impressed with Joker's but feel I am missing out on something. Pinetos is probably one of the cleanest chippers I've seen. I'm tempted to go try Sweeney's some evening though.

Back to the voters, I'm anxiously awaiting the vote from our local food critic Mr Pebbles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Henry & Rose, Kilcoole
    Burger place on the seafront for a burger FTW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Sweeney's for fish, however the chips were always very poor. Not fresh but frozen chips. Yuk.

Perhaps that has changed. Anyone know? If they are doing proper chips then they will get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Inhousejoke

Jokers
    As much as I love Jokers, Pinetos does it for me, their veggie kebab is awesome. Haven't been to Sweeny's in years (fond memories though!)

And I reckon we should have a poll on the correct pronounciation of Pinetos :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Sweeney's
    What the hell is Atairi Jaguare? Did I miss something over the last few years???!?!

I find it very hard to pick between pinetos and jokers both are great!
    I do have very fond memories of Sweenys chips after swimming at the harbour on a summers evening though. ah those where the days!

Jokers
    eilo1 wrote: »
    What the hell is Atairi Jaguare? Did I miss something over the last few years???!?!

Funny how it came about - it's a boards.ie skit.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Atari_jaguar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Henry & Rose, Kilcoole
    bogtreader wrote: »
    Sweeneys is the best in my opinion.
    My wife and i had a lovely fresh cod and chips on saturday we went and sat
    up at the seat looked out to sea fed the crows.
    Heaven

Where did you sit that you could look out to sea?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719277&page=44
    http://on.fb.me/greystones

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Sweeneys produced homemade chips cut from potatoes and the more you go there, the more chips you get ;)

Be nice, say Hello to Joe and the girls in there and they really look after their customers.

Durretti - the clue is in 'sat up at the seat'.... There is a great view at the top of harbour where the seating is, just near the cove and carraig eden too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Henry & Rose, Kilcoole
    Sweeneys produced homemade chips cut from potatoes and the more you go there, the more chips you get ;)

Be nice, say Hello to Joe and the girls in there and they really look after their customers.

Durretti - the clue is in 'sat up at the seat'.... There is a great view at the top of harbour where the seating is, just near the cove and carraig eden too.

if you say so,not like any 'home-made' chips i've had before......in saying that i like them but i think thats the taste of whatever they're frying them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Sweeney's
    Nothing like a tasty roll at jokers. Pretty much always went to jokers after a night of drinking, just to get a bag of chips. After a bit munch everyone would head home. Haven't been there in a LONG time. Might just go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

Sweeney's
    HUNK wrote: »
    Nothing like a tasty roll at jokers. Pretty much always went to jokers after a night of drinking, just to get a bag of chips. After a bit munch everyone would head home. Haven't been there in a LONG time. Might just go tomorrow

Yeah me too. Eating Joker's curry chips while walking home after a skinful of beer is an art in itself. Next morning I'm wondering why there's spots of curry sauce all over my shoes and trousers.

Jokers
    I see tomorrow is the National Fish & Chips Day as promoted by the ITICA - half price fish and chips! There's a directory on the website and the only one I can see on the list that's nearby is Pineto's! Anyone know if they're doing the half-price deal?

http://itica.ie/news/view/win_a_kia_picanto_on_national_fish_chips_day_wednesday_may_25th

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

HAd some chips from Sweeneys last week, awful! Tasted like frozen. Enjoyed Jokers chips and haven't tried Pinetos yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I agree with the previous post. I had sweeneys chips last week. Not great at all. They ain't frozen but bags of bought in pre-cut chips. Why not buy a large bucket, some spuds and the machine that can chop them up. Stop this prepacked rubbish. S

Advertisement