Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish players abroad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Ben Ackland 45 against Surrey. Good score from the young lad. In decent nick this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Ben Ackland 45 against Surrey. Good score from the young lad. In decent nick this summer!

I'm not familiar with Ackland, is there any particular reason he is playing with Ireland? It says on his cricinfo page that his father represented England U19 and he was born there.

Great knock by NOB today, 374 runs in the county championship so far in just 5 games is great form

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bazzmundo

SSK wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with Ackland, is there any particular reason he is playing with Ireland? It says on his cricinfo page that his father represented England U19 and he was born there.

Great knock by NOB today, 374 runs in the county championship so far in just 5 games is great form

Ben came to school over here and played all his underage cricket here. Plays for Merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Craig Young was fielding for Sussex today apparently

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

O' Brien out for 166 in the end, if he can keep this going until England have their routine summer wicket-keeper crisis.. :pac:

• Advertisement

2 catches as well so far glouc 31/4 Marshall not playing today

O' Brien out for 166 in the end, if he can keep this going until England have their routine summer wicket-keeper crisis.. :pac:

That's my big fear. Realistically he'll find it difficult to dislodge Prior, Kieswetter and Davies on a permanent basis, but can see him being called up to a ODI squad playing 1-2 games and being gone from Irish cricket for 4 years. Think he needs to be very careful regarding any Eng call.

I also fear Big Kev could have a big T20 tournament, get called up for England again play 1-2 games and be unavailable for 4 years. Although I think Kev may not be eligible for England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

That's my big fear. Realistically he'll find it difficult to dislodge Prior, Kieswetter and Davies on a permanent basis, but can see him being called up to a ODI squad playing 1-2 games and being gone from Irish cricket for 4 years. Think he needs to be very careful regarding any Eng call.

The good news from an Irish point of view is Niall plays for a county where players find it very hard to get selected for England. Monty apart, players usually have to move on to get any recognition from England.

Joyce 88* guides Sussex to a 9 wicket win
    Stirling 39* vs Netherlands Middlesex win by 7 wickets
    Rankin 15-4-42-1
    Porterfield with a catch
    Niall O'Brien 3 catches
    Wilson out for a duck, pair of ducks vs Cambridge

Porterfield out cheaply again. Not having the best start to his Warwick career.

• Advertisement

he's made a few decent scores, to be fair the pitch is very very bad that they're playing on as well. I know that only excuses his last two innings but does need to be said. Cricinfo reckoned that one genuinely quick bowler playing the match would have meant it being abandoned.

Warwickshire have been deducted points for the wicket due to an unreasonably variable bounce. Rankin laid out Solanki with a bouncer, apparently he's okay but it was the final straw

TheDrog wrote: »
    Wilson out for a duck, pair of ducks vs Cambridge

Only noticed this now, ouch. What competition was this in?

friendly between Surrey and Cambridge, common enough early season

Only just noticed that Rankin made 25 in the first innings of the Warwickshire game :eek:

Kevin O'Brien 3
    Ed Joyce 90 in a first wicket stand of 161
    Porterfield 95 in a first wicket stand of 189

Great performance by Porterfield, that partnership won them the game on its own, same with Joyce

Paul stirling 41 off 33, didn't bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I got to say Stirling played a very nice knock and is starting to look to use his feet to come down the track but got out playing off the back foot and got bowled, it was still a good knock :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 saintNsinnerr

It willl be nice to see some guys in the IPL??? what do ye think ???

• Advertisement

It willl be nice to see some guys in the IPL??? what do ye think ???

Well technically Morgan..

Also SSK mentioned earlier in the thread about Kevin O'Brien signing up for the Sri Lankan version. I didn't realise KOB was playing 40 over for Glousctershire, I just assumed it was 20/20. And I even commented on Drog's post about Joyce and Porterfield and never noticed KOB :pac:

Best of luck to him, I hope he can get a few decent scores soon and cement a place for himself.

would be nice but unless Kevin does well in the SLT20 I can't see it happening. RtD has barely featured for the Knight riders and he's arguably the best all rounder in associate cricket

Also in todays county games
    Porterfield 54 against a strong Notts bowling attack featuring swann and Broad
    Rankin playing hasn't batted or bowled yet
    Joyce with a catch but hasn't batted yet
    No game for N.O'B, K.O'B not in the county side and Wilson not playing. Marshall is injured and out for a while, won't be available for the Pakistan games

3 for Rankin as Notts collapsed to 117ao, he might even pick up another one this evening

edit: Well done Boyd, 3 more. Notts on course for a big defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

Morgan 156* off 177 balls for England Lions today. Bopara made 17 yet cricinfo seem convinced that morgan is going to be dropped for the first test. :confused:

Morgan 156* off 177 balls for England Lions today. Bopara made 17 yet cricinfo seem convinced that morgan is going to be dropped for the first test. :confused:

Bopara is seen as being the favourite because he stayed in England, turning down the IPL to play for his county and he's been making runs for Essex.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

Hmmm
    Is it a question of rewarding Bopara for publicly turning his back on the IPL to win back a test place or punishing Morgan for going to the IPL over playing county cricket.

Just seems odd that morgan was in line for collingwoods test place, yet they stuck with collingwood throughout the ashes when he was well out of form, and now on the back of Boparas decent start to county season and PR campaign about how important test cricket is to him, Morgan is being pushed aside again.

The lad clearly has the ability, why not give him a decent run in the side now.

Bopara had a few chances and was dropped because of form. Seems to me like Morgan is being dropped for political reasons, to set an example for future players considering the IPL over county cricket?

I doubt they'd drop KP for Bopara...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Niall O'Brien with a cracking century tonight live on d'telly :)

Another one like that against Pakistan will do nicely :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Top stuff from Niall, he got a bit lucky when he got in the 70's but still a great knock, hope the hand is fine for the Pakistan series, he took a bad blow on it from some speedy bowling from Simon Jones, at least it was at the start of his innings and he seemed to be able to play through...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

Thems the breaks you get, great knock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Brilliant from Niall again, in another complete team performance, the Steelbacks will miss him when hes playing for Ireland.

Advertisement