Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have an obligation to tell a partner...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Do you have an obligation to tell a partner if you have an STI...?

Are you for real?

If you have sex with a partner while knowingly carrying an STD you are maliciously harming, or risking harm, to that person. That is a crime and there isn't a judge in that land that wouldn't convict you for it.

I actually can't believe you need clarity on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Jesus.right could everyone read this properly.i do not have an STI.

I opened this here because i thought there was a chance we'd be able to have a discussion and some people might consider an alternative point of view. Not much point in leaving it open here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I do not have an STI.
    I did actually presume the question was hypothetical.
    some people might consider an alternative point of view.
    There isn't one. Regardless of where you start the thread.

Not informing a partner about an STI is grossly irresponsible and negligent. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

^ I agree with the above.

There is no discussion about it! Who is a pr*ck not to get a STD sorted out and who would pass it onto someone else? Especially a partner!

There is just no discussion about it. There should not be a difference of opinion. You get it sorted. You clear it up. End of discussion.

Also I would question why would you have an STD if you are sleeping with the same "partner". This discussion is not even about ONS, it implies would you tell a partner? Well if your just sleeping with the one person, I would be ignorant in thinking where could you pick up the STD from unless you were sleeping around (you as in the 3rd person you or whatever, not directly OP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Also I would question why would you have an STD if you are sleeping with the same "partner". This discussion is not even about ONS, it implies would you tell a partner? Well if your just sleeping with the one person, I would be ignorant in thinking where could you pick up the STD from unless you were sleeping around (you as in the 3rd person you or whatever, not directly OP).

presumably in this scenario the OP means sexual partner rather than life partner, and frequently sexual partners are transient beings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Scotty # wrote: »
    Do you have an obligation to tell a partner if you have an STI...?

Are you for real?

If you have sex with a partner while knowingly carrying an STD you are maliciously harming, or risking harm, to that person. That is a crime and there isn't a judge in that land that wouldn't convict you for it.

I actually can't believe you need clarity on this.

That depends on the STD if I remember correctly, viral STD's have to be disclosed, but infections don't legally have to be. I am open to correction, but that was my reading on it.

That said, witholding such information is just not a nice or humane thing to do. I know of a girl who got Chlamydia from a guy who knew he had it but was told by a friend that it doesn't cause any problems for guys so he's OK. It was only after he found out she got it that he told her he knew. Haven't talked to her for a while but that's the kind of thing that can make a girl infertile, not sure about her, but if she wanted kids and now can't have them, it's devastating. So yeah, not revealing you have an STD automatically and irrevocably makes you a cunt. and nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Without question you should inform your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I opened this here because i thought there was a chance we'd be able to have a discussion and some people might consider an alternative point of view.

What on Earth could the 'alternate view' be? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Galvasean wrote: »
    What on Earth could the 'alternate view' be? :confused:

The alternative view would be that we're all responsible for our own health and shouldn't rely on others for it.like if you agree to have unprotected sex aren't you as much to blame? But seems people aren't open to considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The alternative view would be that we're all responsible for our own health and shouldn't rely on others for it.like if you agree to have unprotected sex aren't you as much to blame? But seems people aren't open to considering it.

I definitely would not go as far as to say 'as much to blame'. IMO it's a bit like saying someone who got stabbed should share the blame since they weren't wearing a flak jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Thread closed at OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement