Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

This needs a thread of it's own :)

92 :pac::pac:

Be my guest, on your head be it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

oneilla wrote: »

The author really knows how to get your attention from the start - now I'll have to think of that the next time I hear "SULLIVAN, MY SON!" on a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Jesus, thats rough...

183. The Anvil taught Davey Boy how to drug his wife's orange juice right before bed time each night. Then the next morning their wives would awaken with bloody, sore anuses. It took them a few bloody anuses to realize their husbands were anally raping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Jj Dillon show is still my favourite atm, the shows have got better and don't meander as much.

Its a relaxed listen and his Co host knows his stuff and let's JJ talk. It's a good antidote for those who have grown weary of the over the top nature of conrad and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Full Marx wrote: »
    Jj Dillon show is still my favourite atm, the shows have got better and don't meander as much.

Its a relaxed listen and his Co host knows his stuff and let's JJ talk. It's a good antidote for those who have grown weary of the over the top nature of conrad and Co.
    The fact that he seems to not be meandering which I heard was off putting.

Another one I like is Ron fuller one and his family was in the wrestling business for 90 years and four generations. It's a brilliant podcast if you're interested in the wrestling history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 WVLuke

Hey guys, ye should check oiut the new Celtic Championship Wrestling Podcast. They're interviewing a lot of local guy at the moment with plans to do some bigger names in the near future.
    Listen here http://www.buzzsprout.com/121610 or search celtic championship wrestling on itunes/ stitcher or most places where podcasts are available.

So far guests have been CCW Owner Lee Cahalane, Former CCW Champion Ricky Combat, CCW Womens Champion Raven Creed and this week is "Bedlam" Billy Lynch. Next weeksguest is Irish Wrestling Legend Vic Viper, and theres a lot of stuff in the works that will be great.

21616441_1631826310195780_2998032282608365022_n.jpg?oh=e5b0be91bfd761edfd1d5d76ff2fe611&oe=5A136E30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

This week's Tony Schiavone show - WHW Monday - is fantastic, a must listen. The show is usually very hit or miss and not one I'd go out of my way to recommend - when discussing 1995 or earlier it tends to be good as Tony seems to remember the stuff he was invested in. Anything later than that, he has little to no memory of and the shows often devolve into sophomoric humour which does little for me.

This weeks show covers Tony's year in the WWF and is essentially a show about his relationship with Vince. If you enjoy hearing about weird Vinceism's give this a go. Amongst the highlights - Vince was meant to call a PPV during Schiavone's run but was so hungover he got Tony to do it last minute. There's also interesting stories that relate to Vince chewing people out, his awareness around Terry Garvin and his reputation for sexually harassing people, how Vince sold him on the job, how he left the WWF, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Enjoyed it. Conrad was a bit off though, kept asking him questions that he had just answered, but at least there was no sleaze this week. Seemed a bit odd at the end when Tony admitted to a bit of contract tampering, but then again he had no contract in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

The Prime Time wrestling podcast is fun. Listening to the Summerslam 92 episode right now, check it out I'd say!! MLW are carving their products out to a high quality to the point I'm not listening to the likes of Jericho and Austin anymore.

Jericho is still must listen when he has the right guest. I believe there will be a Pillman show this week with Meltzer that will be great on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All these podcast aren't been done for nothing so anyone any idea what kind of money these guys are making?

MLW has so many now so with Ads, t-shirt sales and personal appearances there must be a good bit being made to make it worthwhile for these guys to give time after MLW take their cut.

I would love to know. Anyone who knows anything about ad sales would probably be able to tell you. I know at one point in the Observer it was mentioned Austin was doing in the range of 500,000 downloads for his two shows and that Ross & Jericho were not quite at that level. Conrad has posted figures for some of his shows too. Something to Wrestle does anywhere from 300-500k for its new episodes but they get a huge boost from archival listens since the show is 'evergreen' (I think more shows should nick the format for that reason).

The old Flair Show with Conrad & the Tony Schiavone show now get in the 100k range.

I would assume the slew of fringe shows like Cyrus/Lance Storm, Raven, Disco Inferno, etc etc probably do well to break 50k, but that's pure guesswork.

As you said about MLW, some of the shows probably make a ton by creating and plugging their own merch.

Anyone know what you can command for ad rates on podcasts? Would love to know what kind of money is in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I think Joe Rogan rakes in about $50-70k per episode and he has about 1 million hits per episode, so you would assume if someone is hitting about 500k listens per episode it would in the range of $20-35k per episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think Joe Rogan rakes in about $50-70k per episode and he has about 1 million hits per episode.

Where did you get that? Mad money if its true if it's even $50k he'll have made $7m or so in a year with something that has little to no other expenses apart from young jamie

I think Joe Rogan rakes in about $50-70k per episode and he has about 1 million hits per episode, so you would assume if someone is hitting about 500k listens per episode it would in the range of $20-35k per episode.
    How? How many listen with ads? I always just used YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

A few places, a lot of people with podcasts themselves have worked out rough estimates based on youtube hits etc and someone (I think Bisping) recently said Rogan takes in 70k once expenses and taxes are all done. He's reportedly worth around 50 million dollars, and theres not a chance he's earned the bulk of that off if his stand up shows and his UFC gig. Especially when you consider he did the UFC commentary on the cheap for a good few years because he was passionate about it and wanted it to grow.

There's serious money to be made in podcasting if it takes off and has the right sponsors, its why every sports star and their mother has one these days. Austin did pretty well from it because he was basically the first star from pro wrestling to do it so he commanded huge hits for his first 2 years or so. I vaguely remember JR saying in one of his first few episodes that he had zero interest in doing a podcast until Austin sat him down made him aware how much he could make from it.

EDIT: Just to reply to the poster above who said who listens to the one with ads considering the YouTube version doesn't. His YouTube channel is monetised, you dont have to listen to ads but you.see ads pop up on the bottom of his videos. Also the majority prefer to listen to it on the go such as myself whilst doing something else such as commuting and just skip the ads. Also bear in mind theres different revenue streams from iTunes and the like. His YouTube hits are pretty big and theyre only a fraction of how many people consume it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I never really have a particular favourite podcast. I usually listen to whoever has an exclusive interview during the week like Alicia Fox on Lilian Garcia's podcast this week.

It is handy that some podcasts like Something to Wrestle With and E&C's Pod of Awesomeness are avaliable on Spotify and that X-Pac has his own show on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Rogan makes money different ways though, so he's not a good example. Like he's a part owner of Alpha Brain and uses his podcast to advertise it. He was speaking about advertising and his beliefs about it on a previous episode (can't think of who it was with, if I remember I'll post because if you're into this stuff it was fascinating) and the guy has his shtick down pat.

The thing I love about podcasting, though, is that like any technology, if you get creative there are many different ways to earn money or advance off it. It can be whatever you want it to be if you've got a route to find an audience. Like already the PodcastOne model is getting dated.

Today's Jericho show with Dave Meltzer on talking Brian Pillman, on his 20th anniversary, is a great listen.

I've heard Dave talk about Brian many times over the years on Observer radio, the two were close friends. Guessing that for anyone younger than me (33) who isn't very familiar with the tale, it is an eye opener. So many things discussed - the gun angle, the 'release' from WCW, the WWF allowing him back in the ring with all the physical issues he had, the many works he pulled during the loose cannon angle - could never happen in todays industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Never coped how much Kevin plug his other podcasts on the Attitude era show until it was mention here. I listen to their live episode and it was like every 5 minutes he brought up "How 2". The saddest part was at the end, after their Q&A
    with the audience, Kevin goes "Normally someone asks's me when Cinema Swirl is coming back and I'm happy to say it will be back soon." The crowd clapped, I assume out of politeness.

• Advertisement

John Pollock has been let go by the Fight Network so the LAW and review-a-wai in their current guises are no more. I don’t listen anymore personally but shame as they’ve produced good content over the years. I expect John will land on his feet as he’s a talented dude.

Anthem bleeding money on impact really hitting them hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sickened for him as he's just recently became a father. He seems a real work horse so I'm certain he'll get back to his feet soon but I hope he's got something lined up that he can smoothly transition to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah John's incredibly talented and hard-working, whatever he's got lined up next he'll knock it out of the park. Very sad to hear the end of his podcasts as we know them. Most weeks it's my link to WWE
    "Normally someone asks's me when Cinema Swirl is coming back and I'm happy to say it will be back soon." The crowd clapped, I assume out of politeness.

Almost choked on my tea reading that!

Jason Agnew has just tweeted he too is no longer working for the LAW.

As Goldberg would say, WHO'S NEXT?

The LAW has just put a statement up stating the LAW is going on hiatus and will be back with a format change soon.

Anthem's decision to buy TNA proving more breathtakingly dumb by the week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

https://twitter.com/LAWradio/status/925117227854127104

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/925028879403593728

https://twitter.com/AgnewJason/status/925103888625102848

Dan doesn't have twitter and Wai hasn't tweeted specifically about it yet. But the LAW is done for at least a couple weeks. Hopefully it's not a Final Nitro!

Agnew had tweeted "RIP The Law 1997 - 2017" then quickly deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

That's a real shame. Only way I got wwe news really. And on here of course

Meltzer re The LAW. Probably as shocked as anyone. Only said last week how much he enjoyed doing that show every Sunday:
    DNbIbFyX4AEflgI.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Listening to John and Wai's raw review they both seem to be looking at the bright side of this, I'd imagine they'll have plenty of offers. There's a link to the podcast on pollocks Twitter

Advertisement