Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Reviewing all 30 Wrestlemanias leading up to #31 is a good idea and this is a good podcast Meltzer's input is cool but damn, it's 4hrs long and by the second hour they are only just on the second match.

Listened to most of it but gave up. Can't imagine how long the Wrestlemania 4 show will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

rovert wrote: »
    Listened to most of it but gave up. Can't imagine how long the Wrestlemania 4 show will be.

Grand for a four hour commute... to like, Spain or something. Hoping they'll cut it down as the series progresses. The VHS release was like 120mins and this podcast review is literally 4hrs+.

Once they actually get in to reviewing the matches it turns to shït.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

That's one thing that gets me about a lot of fan run podcasts: the length. The ideal length for a podcast is 40-60 mins for, as Ape mentioned, commutes. I'm a podcast fiend and would listen to a few hours worth in a day, but because of that the problem becomes that I've so many I'm subscribed to that I don't even consider a 2-3 hour deal. I think a lot of these podcasts are really limiting their potential reach as not many people have that much time to devote to just them. And this is from a guy whose job it is to keep up with wrestling on a day-to-day basis, so I'm an extreme example that they should have in the bag by default.

The PodcastOne guys know what they're doing so they're smart in keeping guys as limited as possible and splitting episodes into multiple parts. Colt has also clearly been well advised and seems to be very strict in keeping to an hour per show.

The one exception that I've seen is OSW Review (and I'm not just saying that) as they were smart enough to do the video aspect which people can and will commit time to. So, yeah, it's long but it's still accessible. I don't feel like I'm taking a chance in giving one of their shows a bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cornetes opening salvo in this weeks podcast is pretty angry. I love his non wrestling rants. This week took in his ever growing hatred of all things Republican, and then hilariously Creationism. His views on it are pretty offensive if you believe in creationism, and tbh just vulgar even if you are not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thanks for the kind words mate. I'm mindful that adding video is a lot more involving than just listening to a pod so I'm sure to keep the pace and (hopefully) make the 90+ mins worthwhile :)

For my podcast listening, obviously it depends on the quality of discussion and informational/entertainment content, it's not so much the length but it's the pacing that turns me off, like when people get bogged down in off-topic or belabour a point. Almost all podcasts aren't edited (perhaps just cutting the start and end off of the recording) so it's just the nature of the beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Throw me into the pile who like OSW Review (and I'm not just saying it either). The content has a real personality about it which I find easily accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I've long considered starting a video podcast, but the amount of work involved is crazy. Mention one obscure segment and you're obliged to go look for it. Makes me appreciate OSW that much more.

Aw thanks mate! Feels like this

46409.jpg

jaykhunter wrote: »
    it's the pacing that turns me off, like when people get bogged down in off-topic or belabour a point. Almost all podcasts aren't edited (perhaps just cutting the start and end off of the recording) so it's just the nature of the beast.

The waffling/going off-topic happens I suspect because podcasts aren't made by people with training and experience in radio but mates having a chat. Some are worse than others but there's a difference in radio where you ought to know to speak to the listener.

OSW and Attitude Era podcast get a pass from me because I enjoy the patter as well as these being retro- reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Catching up on podcasts and I just listened to AJ Styles on Jericho's (I am just a tad bit behind). He really didn't seem pleased about how it went at the end in TNA. Especially with John Gaburick. Though I did like how he wasn't happy with how Angle went over Joe when he debuted or with how quickly RVD beat him, but then he beat Okada for the title in his first New Japan match just a while after the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Review a raw takes some beating for me. Perfect mix of humour, cynicism and discussion. Grand length too.

Speaking of, John & Wai's 5 year anniversary show reviewing Brawl For (It) All:
    http://fightnetwork.com/news/50310:review-a-wai-brawl-for-all-tournament/

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Has anyone listened to Chris Jericho's podcast series "Talk is Jericho"? - wonder is it worth putting onto the MP3 player for bus commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Has anyone listened to Chris Jericho's podcast series "Talk is Jericho"? - wonder is it worth putting onto the MP3 player for bus commute?

Listened to the triple h one today, it wasn't anything I haven't heard before! And first 15 minutes were all adds

As Sirsok said, the Podcast One podcasts have a tonne of awful ads littered throughout so your communte will involve skipping through the junk.

I have enjoyed some of Jericho's shows but don't listen to them religiously. He's had Edge and Lance Storm on which were good.

Fyi, there's a thread about podcasts here (though not every new episode of a podcast gets discussed) http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=2056248810

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Depends who's on,probably every third show or so.Last one I listened to was with Batista and was decent.I'd recommend The Ross Report over Jericho and Austins show if you haven't tried it.Apparently both Y2J and Austins guests need to get ok'd by WWE so there's probably stuff behind the scenes they have a say in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

It takes a while to get goog each episode and there's a lot of ads but generally the interviews are interesting enough.. I liked the recent one with Batista

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I liked his interview with Christian so much so I was looking forward to the following weeks interview featuring Snooks who i thought they really tracked down but it ended up being Christian taking the piss, also Fozzy's cover version of ABBA's SOS is truly awful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭briany

Chris Jericho's podcast is probably the best I've heard of the wrestler's podcasts. He's even better than Austin, who's just a tiny bit too eager to talk over his guests at times. Chris also has a better mix of guests with Rock musicians and paranormal experts often coming on the show, and he always seems so excited about talking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I really like Jericho's podcast, but only listen to it when he's got wrestlers on. Have no interest in the music/bigfoot/hockey guests he has had on.

If I had to choose his r Austin's as my favourite I'd go for Austin's, purely because imo he's easier to listen to when he's just shooting the ****. Also, I think it's hilarious to hear the baddest SOB in the history of pro wrestling talking about shopping and being henpecked by his wife the whole time! :pac: I'd say she's hard work.

Jericho has had better guests the last while though I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

briany wrote: »
    Chris Jericho's podcast is probably the best I've heard of the wrestler's podcasts. He's even better than Austin, who's just a tiny bit too eager to talk over his guests at times. Chris also has a better mix of guests with Rock musicians and paranormal experts often coming on the show, and he always seems so excited about talking to them.

Couldn't disagree more i could listen to Austin read the phonebook,if Jericho doesn't have a Wrestler guest on it's a instant skip for me not to mention his god awful intros and ****e "comedy" segments and playing songs from his crap band that no one cares about.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more i could listen to Austin read the phonebook,if Jericho doesn't have a Wrestler guest on it's a instant skip for me not to mention his god awful intros and ****e "comedy" segments and playing songs from his crap band that no one cares about.

Sip of beer for the disagreein' man. Here's to ye.

briany wrote: »
    Sip of beer for the disagreein' man. Here's to ye.

I prefer a swig! ;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Joe Gagne has been posting his short reviews of weekly Podcast One type podcasts a kind of he listens so you don't have to thing. He began doing it on a few message boards but now the Voices of Wrestling site is hosting it:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/09/12/wrestling-podmass-912/

Dead handy way of sifting through the dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Jericho's is probably my favourite. I skip everybody's intros anyway so I'm just basing it on the interviews. Austin can tend to fall back on the same stuff over and over and I didn't go anywhere near Ross' again after I listened to one of his. Jericho's tend to be the most straightforward, interesting interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

BohsJohnny wrote: »

Agree. Jericho + a wrestler is normally good once you skip the start - ads, plugs, Fozzy bit. Truly one of the worst bands I've ever heard. They sound like an 80's hair metal parody band. I'm still not sure if he's serious. That SOS cover pretty much sums them up. Worse than Nickelback.

On the contrary, Austin is often more interesting by himself than interviewing people. He's so entertaining and should be a much bigger star outside of wrestling. Would love to see him do a comedy with The Rock.

I'm surprised that with all the promotion Rock did for Hercules recently that he didn't show up on at least one of Austin's/Jericho's/JR's podcast. Is he still distancing his movie and wrestling careers from each other? Would like to hear a Rock/Austin podcast but in terms of their personalities I would say Austin has become looser and more fun and Rock is too professional and generic so I would hope it wouldn't be a letdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Do think Ting and Pollock should just take over everything. It's A+ material whenever Ting gets ropey camera-work to savage and Pollock goes off on one of his unlaboured rants on dodgy writing or a woeful match, but they also actually give a considered, justified critique of whatever they're doing, instead of just trying to milk the comedy bulb for the sake of it.

Fozzy sound like an 80's hair metal parody band.

They are an 80s hair metal parody band! For their first couple of albums anyway. Saw them live twice. Jericho's an awesome frontman but couldn't carry a tune if it had handles on it.

• Advertisement

I wasn't that gone on Fozzy, but I heard that 'These Gallows' on the bigfoot podcast, which I enjoyed.

Advertisement