Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do culchies hate Dubs so much?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I just love how informed and open-minded everyone here is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

stimpson wrote: »
    Get yourself to Burdocks in Christchurch. Their chips could go head to head with Lennox's any day of the week.

Ya wha Gay?

Soggy, limp and anaemic faux-frites. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Dublin= nice place to visit for about three or four hours, nice place to leave when you're heading home. Live there?? Come on, why'd you wanna do that?? There's too many doing that already for it to be any way pleasurable. You gotta have a bit of space, and Dublin looks waay too full for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Have never once heard this phrase in Dublin or anywhere else, unless you read it on this thread.
    How does Dublin distance itself , in what way? I have lived in Cork and Galway and got no **** off the residents of either city, this debate seems to be confined to the Internets.
    Fact is most middle-ish class dubs have one or both parents from outside 'de Pale'.

You mustn't watch RTE much, so.

Lots and lots of surveys are phrased this way.

In addition, TV3's text lines for weather are set up this way, with the 4 provinces separate from their "DUBWEATHER", as if Dublin was somehow going to be different to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ya wha Gay?

Soggy, limp and anaemic faux-frites. :D

In fairness, Lennox's aren't that bad. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You mustn't watch RTE much, so.

Lots and lots of surveys are phrased this way.

In addition, TV3's text lines for weather are set up this way, with the 4 provinces separate from their "DUBWEATHER", as if Dublin was somehow going to be different to Leinster.

Sadly I watch RTE at times and despite their many , many failings, have not heard this- if you have where? And which surveys?

As for TV3 weather, do you really give a fcuk what Martin King says? ;)

Dublin is different to Leinster. The Wicklow mountains shelter us so we have the lowest rainfall in the country. Probably why the place was settled in the first place. But dont let that stop you going on a misinformed rant.

Sadly I watch RTE at times and despite their many , many failings, have not heard this- if you have where? And which surveys?

Watch the next election coverage and see how they single out Dublin vs national / provincial voting patterns.
    As for TV3 weather, do you really give a fcuk what Martin King says? ;)

No, but the fact is that they view it as OK to do that, and it is an example of what I was talking about.

Dublin is different to Leinster. The Wicklow mountains shelter us so we have the lowest rainfall in the country. Probably why the place was settled in the first place. But dont let that stop you going on a misinformed rant.

Limerick is different to Kerry for pretty much the exact same reason, but they don't separate it. Also, Waterford would be closer to the "sunny south-east" of Wexford, but it's still lumped in with Munster - because they're in the same province, just like Dublin & Wicklow.

Watch the next election coverage and see how they single out Dublin vs national / provincial voting patterns.

No, but the fact is that they view it as OK to do that, and it is an example of what I was talking about.

wtf..As i'm sure you know their are 10 or so constituencies in Dublin representing 1.3 million people , they are not 'singling them out' -each constitunecy in a democracy deserves to know whats going on.
    Thats a piss poor example of pro-Dub bias.
    An election in this country happens every 4/5 years, so its hardly a blanket bomb campaign of Dublin propaganda.

• Advertisement

Limerick is different to Kerry for pretty much the exact same reason, but they don't separate it. Also, Waterford would be closer to the "sunny south-east" of Wexford, but it's still lumped in with Munster - because they're in the same province, just like Dublin & Wicklow.

The facts don't support your hypothesis.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/maps/island_rainfall.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Seriously I think a lot of those country folk would like to see Dublin win the All Ireland, at least I have heard a few admit that to me. OK in whispers, but I think that is true.

Really ?
    Liam Byrne wrote:
    Limerick is different to Kerry for pretty much the exact same reason

Despite the fact that even a casual look at the Wicklow Mountains and South-West Kerry, and comparing those to Dublin & Limerick respectively, shows that the EXACT SAME fact applies ?

South-West Kerry is the spot in the bottom left corner of the map, by the way! ;)

Really ?

Despite the fact that even a casual look at the Wicklow Mountains and South-West Kerry, and comparing those to Dublin & Limerick respectively, shows that the EXACT SAME fact applies ?

South-West Kerry is the spot in the bottom left corner of the map, by the way! ;)

Limerick Is the same colour as most of the rest of the country. Dublin is the only white bit on the map. In case you didn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Only an immense gob****e would have a problem with anyone based on where they live/are from.

Avoid and shun these tools.

I do find it pretty amusing that some people in the thread are trying to prove their superior birthright by bandying about stereotypes and ignorance as if they were flaming swords of righteousness.

This kind of thread is why i love AH.:)

Not really. The landscape of Dublin and it's environs have pretty good drainage and pretty much always have. Rain wasn't really a massive issue back in the day...it was just a thing that happened and was largely essential to support the way that people lived then.

Think about the geographical locations of the homelands of the people who conquered us and how the arrived here...the fact that it was always by boat and the reason why Dublin became the early capital is pretty obvious.

The Vikings arrived and built it up...the Normans arrived and made it the capital city. It pretty much all grew out of Wood Quay, where the Vikings decided to settle for obvious reasons.

Limerick Is the same colour as most of the rest of the country. Dublin is the only white bit on the map. In case you didn't notice.

...and Kerry is a darker shade than Wicklow, making the relative difference as near as needs be.

Seriously? you're talking about the weather forecasts seperating counties in a small country as bias??! Jackie Healy Rae shiite, if not worse.
    This is as bad as regionalism you probably rail against in the politics forum

Seriously? you're talking about the weather forecasts seperating counties in a small country as bias??! Jackie Healy Rae shiite, if not worse.

Where did I mention bias ? All I said was that there are aspects where Dublin likes to view itself as not being in a "province". And I gave a solid example.

There are obviously cases where it accepts that it's just another city and is part of Leinster - such as the Leinster Rugby team - but that doesn't mean that the ridiculous wannabe separation doesn't exist.

Where did I mention bias ? All I said was that there are aspects where Dublin likes to view itself as not being in a "province". And I gave a solid example.

There are obviously cases where it accepts that it's just another city and is part of Leinster - such as the Leinster Rugby team - but that doesn't mean that the ridiculous wannabe separation doesn't exist.

When did Dublin view itself as not being in a province ?..as in recently -I've never heard of this, ever.

This 'province' thing your on about- its like French Revolution stuff, i've never heard of it.
    as for 'wannabe seperation'- :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Bertie, Haughey, Norris, Lawlor, Twink, Tubridy, Dustin .......... need I go on? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Culchies hate Dubs becuase the Dubs are a minority in this country and culchies are all inherently biggoted.
    Dubs hate culchies becuase they lost their footing on the land during the famine and are angry.
    Some Boardsies hate everyone.

One of the above is true

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

Bog monkeys always lump all Dubliners in to one, as in "Dubs". But there is a world of difference between working class skangers and D4 Ross OCC types, for instance. Not that the hillbillies would know the difference, because all they are concerned with is "THE LAND", as in that movie, the Field. As in "how much LAND John-Jo-Mossy has now "and "Did you hear about Jimmy-Jon-Jo na-Mhicileaineachi? He got 500acres of LAND off of Seimi-beageach-"o"-an-Shileleagh. Oh the scandal. etc..."

Bog savages however are the stereotypical hideously ugly Punch magazine proto-simians that the world thinks of and laughs at when it thinks of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

s20101938 wrote: »
    Bog monkeys always lump all Dubliners in to one
    s20101938 wrote: »
    Bog savages however are the stereotypical hideously ugly Punch magazine proto-simians that the world thinks of and laughs at when it thinks of Ireland.

i am actually too angry to even phrase a coherent sentence, such is the extent of the hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I really fcuking hate these threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement