Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subliminal Messages - Comedy Central

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

bonerm wrote: »
    watching Charlie Sheen rattle off line after line of verbal dog poop.

Strange, that's probably how he'd phrase it too....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

As said, it's not subliminal. They're fairly obvious.

I was watching CC one night when that screen came up "according to the internet...", etc. It stayed up on the screen for a good three or four minutes, so there's nothing subliminal about that. It's still strange to show a slide like that for three or four minutes, though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just a bunch of words to me, nothing strange about that advert except that they are trying to mindphuck whoever thinks it's some form of control...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

"Hey you........... f*ck off"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

All glory to hypnotoad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

RobBaxter wrote: »
    hardly a successful viral marketing campaign when a google search of the phrase "comedy central subliminal messages" yields this thread as the top result and this is after these ads have been played in the uk and ireland for at least 20 days now! it has basically generated no heat at all? i just dont like it!

Maybe because you are in Ireland, boards is a popular website and that's the name of the thread? Tis how google works. If you google comedy central along with the most easily picked up words in the clip you get a lot of hits to much bigger sites, 4chan, youtube, various bloggers,conspiracy sites... you linked to a video with over 9000 views in 17days. It is viral marketing, now some viral marketing takes and others doesn't, there are varying degrees of success as its a relatively new area in a relatively old field and a lot of people just don't get how it works. Never mind the fact that "breed with caution" is pretty standard comedy central humour...

I don't think getting people talking about it is the desired effect though, I think they just want people with their nose glued to the screen during the ad breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 zirazira

Aoifey! wrote: »
    As said, it's not subliminal. They're fairly obvious.
    that's a little obvious for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

It sucks as a ploy to get people to hang around and watch the ads because I for one love them lil flash screens of pointless messages! There was one about bus drivers I thought was hilarious (wine may have played a part). I just pause it on the aul sky plus and have a read. Then the time that takes up means I could fastforward the ads and get back to whatever I was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I have no idea how people here think the point in these flash cards is to get people to get people to watch the ads.

1)They always air at the start or end of the ad break, never in between ads. (The ads for Comedy Central don't count.)

2) To read them, you have to pause the TV. It'll take the average person around 30 second to a minute to get the screen paused at the right time, to read the flash card, and then to fast forward through the ads. By the time they are back on track the ads are half way over. Plus then you have seen that breaks flash card so you can do something else for the rest of the break anyway.

I like them, most of them are funny. I'd say the point in them is to help build the "fun" image of Comedy Central. They'll help promote the channel itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

you're assuming everyone has one of them fancy sky+ boxes, they don't, if you didn't have one you'd catch a glimpse in the ad break, wonder what it was all about, then keep an eye out next time round. Then there's the fact there is a few of them, even if you do have sky+ if you're mildly curious you'll stick around to see if there's a new one this ad break rather than watch 5 minutes of MTV or something instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

But you don't have to stick around for the ad breaks. After seeing them a few times it becomes obvious that they pop up at the start or end (Usually the start, because it would eat into the actual show which CC wouldn't want).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH -> TV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭statto25

(Sorry for bumping the thread, I can make a new one if necessary)

The messages are back. I was just watching Comedy Central and one popped up. I took a pic of it...

IMG_20120509_002337.jpg

The words in red are May, Pleasant, Festivities, Pole, Hard and Disgraceful

Advertisement