Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subliminal Messages - Comedy Central

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the large amount of text that appears in the middle of comedy central ads? Sky Plus paused it there and it was all about mind control and how just because we're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after us....

Another one talks about bus drivers and the words highlighted say Breed With Caution Time To Panic....

Freaked out!!!!

Comments

I blame raDIOhead for iT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I noticed this too... Paused it and read it one day... Can't remember what it said but I wasn't freaked out or anything... Just went "meh" and carried on watching TV

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I blame raDIOhead for iT
    ARent u So cEver? Hey, any OLd pErson can do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Now if only the viewers could somehow subliminally influence them to stop repeating the same rubbish over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

Has anyone else noticed all the subliminal messages on comedy central?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAmoGVEazXg

I think it's weird because there is nothing online about it first of all.
    Secondly, there's nothing on their website about it.
    Thirdly, there is a sinister theme to theme.eg."Breed with caution, time to panic"

Weird right! Any comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

RobBaxter wrote: »
    Any comments?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Marketing. You are now doing some advertisers bidding. I hope you feel dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Iv noticed them before but thats the first time iv obviously read them. Bit mad alright

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

Complete mind f*ck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Pointless other than advertising. I dont really know..

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Marketing. You are now doing some advertisers bidding. I hope you feel dirty.

thats a very easy way to totally write it off - if you actually thought about it you would realize that there are far better ways to market other than this underhanded way. I for one am a bit bothered by it especially seeing as a google search yields F*** all! surely not very successful marketing then? and if it is it certainly doesn't endear me to their channel!

thats a very easy way to totally write it off - if you actually thought about it you would realize that there are far better ways to market other than this underhanded way. I for one am a bit bothered by it especially seeing as a google search yields F*** all! surely not very successful marketing then? and if it is it certainly doesn't endear me to their channel!

It's called 'viral' marketing. The idea is that people, such as yourself, will spread the word of it throughout the interwebs, thus brainwashing more fools into obeying the hypnotoad, who runs the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

thats a very easy way to totally write it off - if you actually thought about it you would realize that there are far better ways to market other than this underhanded way.
    They do this all the time. Get a bit of a buzz about it first then the media pick up and write about it (while more than likely being in on the whole thing) then they have the big reveal.

It's tried and trusted, I'd be utterly shocked if it's anything other than marketing for something, I'd wager money with you that it's an ad for something. TV stations don't make mistakes over and over when it comes to their ad content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

subliminal messages are not actually seen, thats the whole point ;)
    which means that isnt subliminal advertising

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Normally the most simple explanation is the correct explanation. I wouldn't read into it too much.

'We are watching Fox Comedy Central'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Apparently it was aired during an afternoon six episode marathon of Two and a Half Men?

If they are meant as some form of mind control then I don't know how anyone could reasonably expect to subliminally influence the brainwaves of the sort of mental powerhouses who'd be sitting around for three hours in the middle of the day watching Charlie Sheen rattle off line after line of verbal dog poop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

well it if was too highlight how hip they are it's worked.

however subliminal messages are sent at much higher rates , invisible to the (conscious) naked eye, so these tape-able messages of half a sec or so are in fact....wait for it....
    -
    a marketing tool, as scumlord suggests

EDIT. we'll i am drunk. i see at least 6 people posted before me! with same response :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

It the subliminal liminal stuff you need to watch out for. Hmmm...I think it's time for some chicken now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

*puts on tin foil hat* :eek:

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    well it if was to highlight how hip they are it's worked.

however subliminal messages are sent a much higher rates , invisible to the (conscious) naked eye, so these tapable messages of half a sec or so are in fact....wait for it....

a marketing tool, as scumlord suggests

Ya you guys are probably right i guess! if nothing ever does surface about them, however, id be more than a little bit concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Ya you guys are probably right i guess! if nothing ever does surface about them, however, id be more than a little bit concerned.
    :)

in the meantime, em, take up sport or something. or a girlfriend. :D

i'm kiddin, really. always pays to be vigilant...even if it's low pay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They're viral marketing themselves so people will watch their channel. To sell advertising space is the raison d'etre of the media, not to entertain.They want you watching the ads.They don't care if you like Two and A Half Men. You enjoying the antics of Charlie and the boys makes them no money, you hanging around for the adverts does. Thats how TV stations create revenue.

As this continues and easily excitable people create internet threads about it and link it to facebook etc they'll get more viewers tuning into watch their ads and the result will be that they'll attract more advertisers to the network and it'll make their ad slots more valuable.

hardly a successful viral marketing campaign when a google search of the phrase "comedy central subliminal messages" yields this thread as the top result and this is after these ads have been played in the uk and ireland for at least 20 days now! it has basically generated no heat at all? i just dont like it!

hardly a successful viral marketing campaign when a google search of the phrase "comedy central subliminal messages" yields this thread as the top result and this is after these ads have been played in the uk and ireland for at least 20 days now! it has basically generated no heat at all? i just dont like it!

Now when someone searches it, they'll find the thread you started. Go ask comedy central to pay you as a marketing consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The channel is screwed up for me, every now and then the sound goes all weird, kind of like a little bit of a wah effect. Gets annoying after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 technoboy

Well... On the backend of causing upheaval in the channel's viewer community, combined with facilities allowing one to ask questions and express their views (this board for example), it allows you to assess the public's increase in "paranoia", and furthermore what possible agendas we may attribute this activity and the message content to.

Ultimately, its perpetrated by a very powerful individual (in the monetary and influential senses) with a not so powerful agenda.

The creative nature of humanity and desire to express one's own creative ability can undermine the miracle of one's own creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

HEY YOU, WATCH COMEDY CENTRAL!

Hyper liminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

CT forum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Advertisement