Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New MMA Gym, Glasnevin

Options
  • 19-04-2011 8:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I think a lot of people know about this already. Still...

Informed Performance closed it's doors on Saturday for the last time. I can't go into details of why this happened, but suffice to say we gave it a right go in a very tough economy. We had a lot of success stories it just ultimately had to have time called on it.

So me, my fighters, my BJJ guys etc. will not longer be IPMMA, and you won't see the IP name anywhere anymore.

In a week's time, I will be opening a new gym, called Kyuzo Gym, across the road from Glasnevin Cemetery. This will be an MMA/BJJ gym only, equipped with all the necessary kit and showers, dressing rooms etc. We are working on it right now and hope to have the bulk of the work done by the opening class which will be BJJ at 7pm next Wednesday! I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be a great place to train and I'm delighted to be keeping a great group of guys and girls together as a team.

On a personal note I'd like to publicly thank all of the people who have offered help and assistance in the last few days from other gyms. It's really appreciated. I would especially like to thank all of the guys from my team who have dug in and assisted with all of the moving that had to be done. It's been a hectic and frustrating few days and I really didn't know how supportive people can be when the going gets hairy, and it turns out all of my guys were fantastic and are still being great about it.

I'll post up details of the new gym and some photos etc. soon. Meanwhile stay tuned to the facebook machine if you're my friend on there.

By the way, everyone can train for free next week once we open. I'll have a full timetable and membership prices up by the end of this week. In the meantime I'm available by pm or by phone for queries.

Thanks,
    Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Best of luck and continued success to you and your fight team..
    From all at Rfa

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Best of luck from myself and the Cage Contender team!!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

best of luck with the new gym barry, fu**in recession is horse ****e for sure, but I hope you have continued success with the new place

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

The very best of luck with the new place Barry!!

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Good luck Barry.
    You keeping your affiliation with Drysdale?
    Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Best of luck to all at KGMMA!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Good luck Barry.
    You keeping your affiliation with Drysdale?
    Paul.

No reason for that affiliation to cease, So i can safely say without asking that he will be!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Best of luck with the new place Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Sorry to here about this lads. Best of luck with the new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Yes the affiliation with Robert is very important to us. We're going to have Abmar Barbosa back over real soon and Robert will be making another visit to the gym later in the year as he's busy with some family stuff right now.

I was just down there this morning clearing things out. It's just an empty room right now but over the next week when the builders leave we'll be able to get stuck into fitting it out.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Best of luck Barry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Never mind!

"By the way… The name Kyuzo comes from the character in the famous Seven Samurai. Kyuzo was a master swordsman, the most skilled of the samurai. Yet he was also the most humble and willing to risk himself for the greater good. It’s our name just because it’s our coach’s favourite character in his favourite movie. If you haven’t seen the Seven Samurai… then you should."

Should have called it death club mma or fight club ufc.

Best of luck of course Barry, glad to hear your still going to be running the competitions and such too. Easter holidays so will try get up for the grand opening next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Good luck with new place mate. Times like these you need to strip everything down to basics and consolidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭garrybergin

Best of luck with the new place Barry, hope it goes well for you

let me know if you need anything ?

G

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Good luck with new place mate. Times like these you need to strip everything down to basics and consolidate.

I've trained MA in IP since the start of January and I've got to say I'm really excited about moving to a smaller, more focused spot. Having all the S&C stuff available in IP was brilliant cos I was a bit of a gym-rat, but the more focused distraction free atmosphere Kyuzo's going to have is something I'm really looking forward to.

I've never trained in an MA club before, so this is gonna be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

best of luck barry, happy to hear you can keep going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Just heard about IP this evening... good luck with the new place Barry... great location!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭medicsie

Best of luck with it Barry, great location regards transport etc so hopefully a good footfall!.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Good luck with the new place Barry, hope it goes well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Hi Barry,

Sorry to hear the news about IP. Really glad you're keeping up the MA side with a new place. Might be similar to the old place you had before IP which was great atmosphere for training in too! Must be something to do with the coach...nah :)
    Anyway, I'm sure the new place will be great and best of luck with it.

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ultimatemma

Best of Luck Barry. Let me know if you need any kit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Best of Luck with this Barry. I was hoping on getting out to IP for some training at the end of the year when I get back to Ireland for a few weeks. Hiopefuly some sort of arrangement can be made at Kyuzo
    I'll post up details of the new gym and some photos etc. soon. Meanwhile stay tuned to the facebook machine if you're my friend on there.

Unrelated, but seing as you mentioned facebook.
    A facebook friend on mine put of a photo of a magazine shoot. Lads mag stuff. THe first reply was a guy from dublin called Barry Oglesby. It wasn't you.
    Just a heds up on your imposter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭chiefbrody1974

its a shame to see anyones business go under, at any time. I can think of at least a dozen lads who wanted to join your gym and more after total fitness closed. Unfortunately they went to the gym 200 yards away because of your high prices. The membership on informed performance was ridiculous. I dont know how it expected to survive with such price demands. It's funny because when I got the tour, an American guy told me that informed performance would only be taking so many members and then closing the books!! I thought this was abit cocky at the time considering the economic climate, turns out it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Classy, relevant post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I can think of at least a dozen lads who wanted to buy a Ferrari but bought another car instead because it was cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭chiefbrody1974

I can think of at least a dozen lads who wanted to buy a Ferrari but bought another car instead because it was cheaper.

oh I see then, Informed performance was "the ferrari" of gyms around.
    not much of a market for ferraris in a recession is there genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

its a shame to see anyones business go under, at any time. I can think of at least a dozen lads who wanted to join your gym and more after total fitness closed. Unfortunately they went to the gym 200 yards away because of your high prices. The membership on informed performance was ridiculous. I dont know how it expected to survive with such price demands. It's funny because when I got the tour, an American guy told me that informed performance would only be taking so many members and then closing the books!! I thought this was abit cocky at the time considering the economic climate, turns out it was.
    I've never been to IP as I've been abroad for a while, but I used to train with Barry. I agree that it's a shame to see the place go under - Ireland has a shortage of places that are suitable for high-level training in my opinion.

As for the limit on members - this is something I would want to hear in a sales pitch if I was looking at spending money on a gym where I expected to recieve specific attention from trainers. Too many members = too little attention from staff. I wouldn't see it as being cocky.

As for the prices - definitely higher than joining a bog-standard gym, but cheaper than booking time with most personal trainers. I don't think it's fair to call the prices ridiculous just because people decided it wasn't a good value proposition for them. Where I live (Germany), people do not pay high prices for food so the majority of what you can buy here is cheap (yay) and not very high quality (boo) - that doesn't mean that good quality food at a higher price is a ridiculous proposition; it just doesn't work well here from a commercial viewpoint because people here don't see a value in it.

Advertisement