Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw 18/04 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

A few fun parts (Truth smoking, the crowd's reaction; part of Cole) but overall a very forgettable lacklustre RAW. Poor UK fans deserve better than that.

Bloody Orton with half-assed super-cena crap. Why couldn't Punk win in that fashion? Thankfully that's the end of that feud, one of them will be drafted soon.

The draft can't happen soon enough - we need some fresh matchups. We're STILL getting Mania hangover matches.....although it's been the case for over a decade now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Pretty poor Raw. I wouldn't go as far as to say Sin Cara was "botching" though. He brings a new style to the WWE, his opponents have never faced him before and a lot of the moves he does are completely new to them. Give him time and he will look awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thought Orton Vs Punk was the best TV match of this year so far. Shame Punk did not win it with the reversal of the RKO kick. That was pretty class and was a logical ending point of the match.

How dead was the crowd for the opening segment? They really could not give a crap about either could they.

Hopefully this heel turn will invigorate a horrible R Truth character.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WTF heel turn for R-Truth :confused: surely a heel turn for Morrison would have been the better option

I am curious to see will WWE just drop the fact the Truth and his Nxt Season 4 rookie winner won a tag title shot and never had it

I hope Punk destroys Orton and wins at ER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Pretty "meh" Raw.

Opening was for sure probably the worst thing I've seen on Raw in the last year. It was uncomfortably bad. Whoever made the decision to let two guys with questionable mic skills go out there alone should be shot. Morrison using heelish tactics to lure Truth into a match, costs him his title shot... but no, he stays face and R-Truth turns heel?! Jaysus.

Sin Cara did alright this week I thought, when he first entered the match anyway. Hit everything and took his bumps well until he overshot the finish. Really want him to do well but I feel he needs to kick it up another level to really be taken seriously. Give him a go with someone like Bryan, Sheamus, Morrison or Ziggler to see the different styles clash and I think it'd be quite entertaining.

Cole thing is still dragging on a bit much for me. Getting bored with it.

Orton - Punk match was good stuff. Don't usually like Orton's matches but I enjoyed that one, even if it was a bit too familiar. Hope they're done with that feud soon though.

Draft next week..? Odd. Rumors are that it's a panic move by WWE, which they should be doing. It's all gone a bit... Samey. Could see maybe Sheamus, Orton, Sin Cara to Smackdown. Maybe Barrett, one of Del Rio/Christian to Raw, and probably someone shít like Kane. Reckon Smackdown will get the better deal this year with Edge gone and needing to impress Syfy.

• Advertisement

I'm hearing that the UK feed completely cut out R-Truth smoking and blowing smoke at Morrison! :eek: It was hilarious and awesome. "That's illegal" chants and people saying "won't somebody please think of the children!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

^ Where is Punk when you need him :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Very "meh".

The Cole story...I liked it at first but jesus, it's in every single segment now. For the story to keep going, they need to keep Cole off commentry for a while, cause every single match is now about Cole, and he's not that entertaining.

The Truth/Morrison angle was awful imo. Oh no, he needed a drink inbetween matches. How embarrassing. And he smokes? Oh God. Now, I'm anti-smoking but did it add to the story? Was it nessecary? It's not like he blows out every week. On the upside, Morrison works better in the title match.

A Mason Ryan face turn being teased? Oh joy.

The draft is before the PPV? Argh. I hate when they do that since it means they basically telegraph the results of the PPV. I mean, I love the draft and it needs to happen, but why not wait till after the PPV.

On the upside, I loved the Sheamus story where they put over how he's after the people who beat him during his losing streak. We don't often get people going for revenge after weeks of losing so its a nice story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yes, gives Sheamus a good reason to be beating people up rather than just for the sake of it. He's obviously back in the good books again, if he was ever actually out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

On the upside, I loved the Sheamus story where they put over how he's after the people who beat him during his losing streak. We don't often get people going for revenge after weeks of losing so its a nice story.

Old Big Nose will be called out soon by Sheamus I imagine. Doubt he was ever really in the bad books.

Oh the humanity - a man smokes a cigarette in order to get over as a heel. A cigarette god damn it.

Is that really where the WWE are at nowadays. PG is one thing, but this is ridiculous.

Raw was very meh this week. Some nice ideas/moments ruined by sloppy booking. The Morrison/R-Truth feud could have a chance at being decent, but talk about a Godawful start.

I liked the new look for Ziggler. Any attempt at all to start a push for him gets a thumbs up from me. The next Mr Money in the Bank?

^ I think he looks like Evan Bournes older bigger brother.

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ I think he looks like Evan Bournes older bigger brother.

Yes he does :p

I preferred Ziggler as a blonde he stood out more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm hearing that the UK feed completely cut out R-Truth smoking and blowing smoke at Morrison! :eek: It was hilarious and awesome. "That's illegal" chants and people saying "won't somebody please think of the children!"
    Well i wasn't watching very intently but yeah, i don't think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

That was one of the worst opening segment for Raw in a very, very long time. Morrison and Truth were just so terrible. And only in WWE would somebody be ridiculed for drinking water between what are supposed to be athletic contests.

Will R-Truth change his phrase now from Whats Up to Lights Up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53,871 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

At least I dont have to listen to that ****e what's up song any more (hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

im sorry but am i the only one thats delighted truth has turned heel ?

and him smoking is up there as one of the best moments of the year :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

6 mins in.......... MY GOD this is cringeworthy. R-Truth & JoMo shouldnt be let near a microfone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That was one of the worst opening segment for Raw in a very, very long time. Morrison and Truth were just so terrible. And only in WWE would somebody be ridiculed for drinking water between what are supposed to be athletic contests.
    ricero wrote: »
    im sorry but am i the only one thats delighted truth has turned heel ?

and him smoking is up there as one of the best moments of the year :D

I gotta admit I liked it especially the smoking bit. Yeah its a joke that a man smoking makes him a heel and if anything to me I wanted Truth to beat on Morrison in that match who did come across more liike a heel. Hell the anti-establishment smoking should get many to associate with him. But you know what joke or not simply him smoking can get a reaction. The crowd were in parts taking the piss but it being pulled from the air some places (from what someone posted) and the big "thats illegal" chants show this reaction. It's cheap and makes me think Vince/someone just watched "thank you for smoking" on DVD but like most of this Raw meh. One thing though is as much as that opening segment is lambasted it atleast shows the WWE being willing to open the show with non traditional main eventers getting a chance on the mic, not everyone will be a fan of who is getting their chance but its good to see someone get one

I think my main problem comes with the fact Truth has exactly one thing going for him as a face, and thats he can get a reaction with his theme song. By turning heel, they've basically stripped away the part of him that actually is interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dolph Ziggler you ****ing idiot. He's gone from a good heel to Ted DiBiase Jr. Poor guy is so generic now. Stupid move on his part.

The Truth turn was good. Started off really badly but after the match he went from no reaction to a fair aul heel reaction. He has way more charisma as a heel now too. The creepy gayness was a bit strange though.

Sin Cara will probably never be involved in a botch free match at this stage. His buzz has worn off especially after the Primo match. Not a good start to his WWE stint.

How much longer are they going to draw out the Nexus - Orton stuff? Didn't need to go any further than Mania.

Very meh RAW.

This weeks Raw recall. I agree with a lot of what he says this week, it was pretty boring. Some nice ideas, but pretty boring

http://creativerecall.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/raw-recall-april-18-2011/
    Segment One: R-Truth – John Morrison Promo / R-Truth vs. John Morrison – If Morrison Wins He Earns R-Truth’s Title Opportunity at Extreme Rules
    - Aw, it’s England this will be a throw away show.
    - How does the “Cole Mine” protect Cole? You can just hop right in and then Cole will be stuck inside?
    - I hated being in London, the catering sucked and the flights were uncomfortable and long!.
    - Vince will correct every “slang” word Truth says during his promo and blame it on the writer.
    - What’s so bad about taking a break during a Gauntlet Match? It puts over the grueling nature of the match.
    - Wow, this is not good. The whole “bullet point” ideas for a promo is not working AND if it was scripted this way that’s even worse.
    - The fact that they showed Truth gas during the Gauntlet Match means they might take his opportunity away and give it to Morrison.
    - BAD. BAD. BAD.
    How I’d Book It: I liked the concept. Hated the execution. The promo needed to be cleaner and flow better. Needed to have more substance. Came across very TNA like.

Segment Two: R-Truth vs. John Morrison – If Morrison Wins He Earns R-Truth’s Title Opportunity at Extreme Rules (continued)
    - How about a match without the story of the announcing being about Lawler vs. Cole?
    - I’m still going with Truth originally being set to be in the Main Event but the fact that he gassed in the Gauntlet Match got him pulled.
    - Here comes the heel turn for Truth?
    - The idea to turn Truth almost happened about 6 months ago. I don’t remember the reason we pulled back on it. Maybe it was an injury?
    - This is going on too long.
    - R-Truth smoking a cigarette inside the arena is actually illegal. But maybe not in London.
    - Aw, and the chant clarifies that. Illegal.
    - Cigarette smokin’ R-Truth is awesome. It’s a shoot! Now he doesn’t have to hide behind the production trucks anymore, he can say he is living his gimmick.
    How I’d Book It: They should of stayed with R-Truth helping Morrison to the back. Truth would show up next week acting as if nothing was wrong and blame all of it happening on Morrison. The last two segments weren’t all that entertaining in the way it was executed but it was good to see something different.

Segment Three: Evan Bourne vs. Dolph Ziggler (w/ Vickie Guerrero)
    - Because 15 minutes of the dragged out beat down wasn’t enough we have to see what happened minutes ago.
    - With the new and improved Dolph Ziggler I can’t tell him and Evan Bourne apart.
    - Not a good new look for Dolph. Why must everyone look so bland? Where is the larger than life characters? Bad call Vince.
    - Jim Ross, “What if The Rock and John Cena got it on?” Uh, JR it’s been booked you don’t need the video game.
    How I’d Book It: Well before these two Superstars looked like brothers I was interested. They took away the only character Dolph was given. Now he looks like my next door neighbor. Dolph needs to add something to his character now to stand out in some way. Walk out, don’t smile and kick his ass is Vince McMahon take a mid card heel and move him up how-to guide. It’s horrible and I fought it with Jack Swagger’s character. Why does everyone have to look the same, do the same thing and act the same way?

Segment Four: The Miz Promo
    - Vince McMahon in production meeting, “Damn it make sure Miz gives all the scenarios of how he can lose the match at Extreme Rules. Nobody will know if you don’t tell them.”
    - Miz used to cut some of the most entertaining promos in the company. It helped him rise to the top of the company. Now they just sound like everyone else. I don’t blame Miz and I don’t want to pat my back but whoever is writing his promos are writing very uninspiring material. Miz’ character was fun to write for and really tried to make him different. What makes him stand out now?
    How I’d Book It: Too lazy to write-up another promo suggestion but come on you wasted an entire segment on Miz telling us how he can lose the Title in a Steel Cage Match? Miz should have talked about proving people wrong since day one. He wasn’t supposed to get a contract. Wasn’t supposed to be a Champion. Wasn’t supposed to main event WrestleMania. He wasn’t supposed to beat John Cena. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and they can throw 2 opponents, a steal cage or whatever else they want Miz will prove everyone wrong and walk out of Extreme Rules as WWE Champion that’s what makes him better than you and every other Superstar in the back.

Segment Five: The Miz Promo / John Cena and Sin Cara vs. WWE Champion The Miz and Alex Riley
    - Why wouldn’t the Raw GM chime in? If he wanted to prove a point he could just say Miz, get out of the ring and if you don’t you’ll be defending your Title right now. (Just a little logic police Brian, since you always brought it up).
    - What an absolutely pointless promo. That was it?
    - Oh geez, this is gonna be a Tag Team Match. Zzzz…
    - Why did the Miz decide to wear his ring gear if he wasn’t scheduled for a match? He wears suits every other week when he doesn’t wrestle.

Segment Six: John Cena and Sin Cara vs. WWE Champion The Miz and Alex Riley (continued)
    - How can Michael Cole be drafted off Raw when he is on both shows already?
    - I always wondered why they refused to acknowledge the 50/50 response for Cena and build a character around that. Instead they forced babyface Cena.
    - Still think Sin Cara should wrestle his singles matches with his music playing in the background like a score. Have fireworks go off during certain high flying moves, etc.
    - Last years draft was ready to go until the production meeting the day of the draft. Vince felt big enough names weren’t moved, which I argued with creative before hand and it was ignored. So he personally “drafted” his new rosters and we executed it.
    - The draft, minus the TOP names, is a complete shoot. No one knows they are being drafted until their name is announced.
    - Edge was not thrilled being drafted to Raw last year.
    How I’d Book It: How about a singles match with two Superstars we haven’t seen wrestle yet? Instead throw more Cena/Miz down our throat. I would have much rather seen Sin Cara physically assist Miz in leaving the ring. 2 on 1 beat down, Cena comes and runs off Miz. Sin Cara defeats Riley.

Segment Seven: Eve vs. Divas Champion Nikki Bella (w/ Brie Bella)
    - Awesome Kong Vignette: Cool vignette. I bet Vince will give her some name like Elizza.
    - All these years and Bellas still get zero reaction when they come out.
    - Aw I forgot it’s the week before the Draft. Try to fit in as many promo’s putting over the Draft as possible.
    - But as Divas Champion, Nikki Bella can be on both shows. So if Eve is drafted, she can still get another Title opportunity. But who’s keeping track right?
    - Also, shouldn’t Eve be able to request her mandatory Title rematch whenever she wants like everyone else does?
    - I once pitched the idea to have Bellas win the Title but one of them screws over the other, takes her out, and defends the Title as if it’s her own. And no one knows its happening. I can see the money being printed now!
    - WWE 101: Have the Champion lose to set up their next contender.
    How I’d Book It: With the two minutes they got? I’d rather see Nikki (or whoever wrestled) successfully defend their Title. Let’s go with Gail Kim for this one.

Segment Eight: Michael Cole Knighting Ceremony
    - Raw Rebound: Oh wow, Jerry Lawler beat Jack Swagger. Awesome (sarcasm)
    - Michael Cole really is this character. It was annoying. I like the character, don’t like when he marked out for himself every week.
    - Hearing Jim Ross talk about wanting a piece of Michael Cole makes me want to change the channel.
    - Jack Swagger should hold a political campaign to be the official “face” of the Raw GM and delivery all of the GM rulings while having the power to make his own decisions.
    - Glad Jack Swagger is playing the flunky to Cole. Pathetic.
    - No way, you mean that’s not the real Queen? Who would have ever thought. This will get WWE on the level of SNL for sure!
    - BOOOOOOOOOOOORING!
    - That’s it?
    - Sorry Swagger.
    - Why is Jim Ross mad that Swagger attacked Lawler? What exactly were Ross and Lawler planning on doing by getting the ring? Actually kissing Cole’s feet?
    - Outside of the Swagger thumbs up on his entrance, this segment SUCKED!
    - Why do people get upset that JR is treated like this? I lost all sympathy when he decided he wanted the job bad enough to go through it.
    How I’d Book It: The announcers have 2 hours to talk. They can’t sell their meaningless match on commentary? They have to waste 10 minutes of air time too? How about get over your Titles? Have a meaningful US or Tag Team Title match or story here? Have Sheamus come out and represent the United States by challenging any English born competitor. Have Sheamus lose to a babyface who thinks he is the new US Champion but Sheamus says he can’t lose the Title because the match didn’t happen on American soil.

Segment Nine: Santino Marella vs. US Champion Sheamus – Non-Title Match
    - If JR and King are going to get their ass kicked every week and replaced on commentary how about taking them off?
    - Let’s bring back “Hagsaw” Jim Duggan to mentor Sheamus in being a true American Icon.
    - Another “get over the draft” promo.
    - Kevin Dunn, here’s an idea, get an extreme close up on a choke hold that shows zero pressure being put on it. That will really get it over!
    - I’ve stretched my neck harder than Sheamus is tweaking Santino’s.
    - Sloppy finish.
    - Another R-Truth replay. Vince is loving it. R-Truth will be the new shiny toy of the month now.
    How I’d Book It: See my segment above.

Segment Ten: Randy Orton vs. CM Punk
    - Another WWE Films classic!!! Everyone involved in heading their creative departments, wrestling and movies are both in the wrong positions.
    - Orton vs. Nexus bores me. Listen, I enjoy long lasting stories… but this isn’t a story this is a series of beat downs and squash matches.
    - The best heel since Mr. McMahon character, CM Punk.
    - Punk should either shave his head again or go back to Jesus Christ Punk.

Segment Eleven: Randy Orton vs. CM Punk
    - Cameras are catching every call inside the ring.
    - CM Punk just asked the referee how much time was left.
    - Why are closed fists illegal in wrestling matches but you can knee someone, dropkick them, choke them, etc etc etc?
    - I’m not invested in this match. Not a great story being told.
    - Where’s Husky?
    - These Nexus beat downs are getting boring and repetitive. Nexus does nothing else.
    - Mason Ryan over does the facial expressions, but it looks like he is the story here.
    - Shocking, Nexus fails again. Enough!!! Break them up.
    How I’d Book It: I would have had Mason Ryan gearing up to punt Orton when unfamiliar music hits and Skip Sheffield comes out. Sheffield comes down to the ring and rips off his Nexus wristband, throws it at Punk and Ryan charges Skip. Skip gives him the clothesline from hell and Nexus retreats.

What a boring Raw. I don’t know what they can do at the Draft to really shock anyone. Cena isn’t leaving Raw. They need to switch gears and try something fresh and outside the box. The R-Truth character has taken a very interesting twist and will be Vince McMahon’s favorite toy for a while. That should be fun, but the product itself needs some majoring revamping. Everything that made me a wrestling fan is gone.

Yeay, I thought he'd never do another creative recall :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I gotta admit I liked it especially the smoking bit. Yeah its a joke that a man smoking makes him a heel and if anything to me I wanted Truth to beat on Morrison in that match who did come across more liike a heel. Hell the anti-establishment smoking should get many to associate with him. But you know what joke or not simply him smoking can get a reaction. The crowd were in parts taking the piss but it being pulled from the air some places (from what someone posted) and the big "thats illegal" chants show this reaction. It's cheap and makes me think Vince/someone just watched "thank you for smoking" on DVD but like most of this Raw meh. One thing though is as much as that opening segment is lambasted it atleast shows the WWE being willing to open the show with non traditional main eventers getting a chance on the mic, not everyone will be a fan of who is getting their chance but its good to see someone get one

I didn't mind the match and the heel turn but the promo before it was one of the worst in a long while. Delivery, content and the crowd reactions were just terrible.
    Sin Cara will probably never be involved in a botch free match at this stage. His buzz has worn off especially after the Primo match. Not a good start to his WWE stint.

The thing about him is the likes of Miz and Alex Riley have no idea how to sell for him. They were all over the place in terms of positioning, and if he were to slow down so they could keep up that would defy the point of him even being there.

Sin Cara would be far better off at the minute on SD, especially if they moved a few like Daniel Bryan over with him. Del Rio and Rey would obviously know how to work a match with him and his matches will be what get him over. I can't think of 3 worse guys for him to be in the ring with at the minute than Cena, Miz and Riley.

I wish the commentators would stick to one pronounciation of "Sin Cara". They keep going back and forth with Sin Car-ah and Sin Care-eh. Sin Care-eh makes him sound like a Care-bear.

I'm glad to see him performing but you could tell he was really nervous. This guy needs to be on SD where the pressure's off ASAP

• Advertisement

Shout out to my boy Wai Ting!

206311_199271756777815_100000849760774_468313_6495942_n.jpg

Wai is the 'colour commentator' for the wrestling podcast Review-a-Wai. He's awesome :)

Advertisement