Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Vizzy wrote: »
    Water service repairs are carried out by Council workers on behalf of Irish Water throughout the country. That's the way it works now.

If you believe Mattie solved the problem, then fair enough. I'll leave it at that.

I didn't say I believed anything. I laid out a few facts as to who actually does the repairs and the close relationship to Matty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jack Magee

I'm living in a council house in an estate in Clonmel. The estate has a residents committe and I am continually getting notes through the door seeking contributions for grass cutting etc.
    I don't wish to contribute. Is there any way I can stop these people putting notes in my letterbox. Could I threaten them with legal action maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Could you not just speak to the secretary/president of the residents committee and ask to be excluded from any correspondence, including demands for money.

Just cos I'm nosey, how much are they looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

Jack Magee wrote: »
    I'm living in a council house in an estate in Clonmel. The estate has a residents committe and I am continually getting notes through the door seeking contributions for grass cutting etc.
    I don't wish to contribute. Is there any way I can stop these people putting notes in my letterbox. Could I threaten them with legal action maybe.

Legal action on what basis? But as said contact the sender and let them know you don’t wish to be included in correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,208 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can anyone recommend a reliable tyre supplier around Clonmel? I don't want retreads or cheapo tyres, looking for brands and reliable fitter at a fair price? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

looksee wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a reliable tyre supplier around Clonmel? I don't want retreads or cheapo tyres, looking for brands and reliable fitter at a fair price? Thanks.

Not in Clonmel but I always go to Gleesons in Cahir. Down from the BMW garage. Have always found them honest and helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 28,208 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks, Cahir is even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’ve gone to either Clonmel tyres near the high school in Clonmel, or gleesons in cahir in the past. I’ve also gone to tipp tyres in Clonmel a couple of times. I couldn’t fault any of them I’m terms of service and fitting. In general, gleesons could often be the dearest like for like. I tend to ring around and ask for prices for The specific brand of tyres I want, and decide based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

If you are looking for something specific you are probably as well to order from likes of tyreleader. LP tyres up in ard Gaoithe will fit. I know I saved a good bit by doing this over what I was being quoted but I do have a bit of an oddball size.

You won’t do better than Jeremiah in Cloneen, but don’t be in a hurry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

+1 for Jeremiah Kiely in Cloneen. Got tyres for my car there recently and he was cheaper than buying them online and about €60 a tyre cheaper than anywhere in town. He had most brands available within a few hours, I went with Goodyear’s for about the same price as the budget tyres in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

You won’t do better than Jeremiah in Cloneen, but don’t be in a hurry!

Absolutely agree with you there. Cheapest by far and all the top brands so there's no skimping on quality, but you will pay in time spent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Deiseland

Comeragh tyres down Davis rd behind texaco are good for tyres. I recently got 205/55/16 Bridgestones for 85 each fitted and balanced with new valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,099 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

But who do you expect to pay for the upkeep of your estate if you don't mind me asking?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭klose

Absolutely insane week on the roads in clonmel, stay safe people!

Thanks for the replies. I will tell them I don't want to be included in their leaflet drop.
    It's a council house so my rent should cover all that. I'm on Disability Allowance so can't afford to be paying for the upkeep of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Thanks for the replies. I will tell them I don't want to be included in their leaflet drop.
    It's a council house so my rent should cover all that. I'm on Disability Allowance so can't afford to be paying for the upkeep of the estate.

It’s not covered in your rent as the Council don’t maintain the grass in private estates. If you can’t give them the full amount give what you can afford after all it’s now your estate as well.

Why not join the residents association and maybe help in a different way. This is now your neighborhood and maybe you have talents that are more valuable than money. You might benefit by joining in with taking pride in your neighborhood. Maybe organising a fundraiser to help with costs.

I won't be joining the committee I don't agree with how they operate putting notes through doors demanding money. I don't want any unsolicited mail.
    It's the ones who own houses pushing it to up the value of theirs. I won't be helping them do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭cml387

I would have thought that neatly cut green areas improves the look of the whole estate and benefits everybody regardless of whether they own their house or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

cml387 wrote: »
    I would have thought that neatly cut green areas improves the look of the whole estate and benefits everybody regardless of whether they own their house or not.

Of course it does. And if it’s a council house, the occupier isn’t going to be turfed our any day soon. I doubt anyone is trying to con you into raising the value of their house, some people just take pride in their estate, and like the sense of community. I would have thought that the reasonable thing to do would be to offer to contribute what you can, when you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I won't be joining the committee I don't agree with how they operate putting notes through doors demanding money. I don't want any unsolicited mail.
    It's the ones who own houses pushing it to up the value of theirs. I won't be helping them do that.

What a strange attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most things are done like this.
    The local text alert. A group of locals sets up the scheme and then they may have to fundraise of the locals and in return they receive texts about suspicious activity in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭london.irish

I am one of those Committee fellas :D,

On our estate we ask an annual voluntary contribution towards the upkeep of the estate, grass cutting, estate clean up, the odd bit of painting.

Unfortunately the council will not touch many of the private estates, as many are still owned by NAMA, so it is left to the residents to pull together and try to keep the place clean and tidy.

We only ask people to contribute what they can afford, if they can afford it, as this is a voluntary contribution, and we ask for €25 per year if possible, some people give in €10 or €20, the majority don't give anything at all.

Maybe you could send in a note to the collection address if you know it, and ask to be taken off the list, no one will be judging you. Personally I would rather know before I knock on the door if the owner did not want to be included.

On our estate we also do a bi-annual cleanup, where we are always looking for volunteers, to help with picking up litter and sweeping, and getting rid of the weeds, takes about six hours a year, I have wasted many more on social media....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

You use the term 'demand'. Really?

Maybe they are just asking for a contribution if you can afford it.

Big difference between a request and a demand.

Perhaps you might post the 'demand' letter you received to substantiate your claim?

I've sorted out the matter now I've informed them I won't be contributing and won't be receiving any more notes from them. Thanks to everyone who replied, I won't be posting any further on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Does anyone feel that election posters should be banned? I personally do. They destroy the appearance of the town. Surely there's plenty of ways now to advertise yourself without defacing every light and electricity poll in town. How many polls on one street does the same person need to put a poster of themselves on. They could use social media and newspapers to name just two. I'd have great respect for any election candidate that wouldn't put up election posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

I agree on the posters, it also gives an unfair advantage to party councillors. I think the time limit is too long, a week or 2 would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭klose

Maymack wrote: »
    Does anyone feel that election posters should be banned? I personally do. They destroy the appearance of the town. Surely there's plenty of ways now to advertise yourself without defacing every light and electricity poll in town. How many polls on one street does the same person need to put a poster of themselves on. They could use social media and newspapers to name just two. I'd have great respect for any election candidate that wouldn't put up election posters.

The ones hung on the bridge on the bypass are a horrendous distraction on a 100 km/p/hr road can't believe they're allowed hang em there

• Advertisement

*From Tipp Fm News*

Patrick Quirke has been found GUILTY of murdering his love rival – local DJ Bobby ‘Mr. Moonlight’ Ryan.
    The jury convicted the 50-year-old farmer by majority verdict after deliberating for just over twenty and a half hours.
    Patrick Quirke first took his seat in the dock over three months ago – making his one of the longest murder trials in the history of the State.

Advertisement