Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belcamp College On Fire

Options
  • 13-04-2011 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey Guys

I just heard Belcamp College in the Northside is on fire, can anyone verify this?

Uj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i can verify you heard that!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭UrbexJunkie

hahahahaha comedian eh.....

Just curious as this place was protected big time and it was such a beautiful set of buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Shifty11

She's on fire alright. Just drove by it. Looked crazy.

Oh man, id say it was well on fire before anyone knew it was as its far away from pathways etc, im sure the fire brigade had a hard time getting to it due to having to drive across damp mucky farmland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Shes a goner unfortunately.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3372660/Photo%20Apr%2013%2C%2011%2027%2044%20p.m..jpg

From what I gather this is the third time in the past week it's had an arson fire, so some scum must have just been out to get it.

Sad :(

I'll get some snaps tomorrow, I live very close.

By chance the stain glass windows were taken out only a week or so ago and moved to safety after security got attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Does anyone know if the state had sold it on or was it still in their possession? Im not too familiar with the area so I'm not sure.

Its a real shame as from looking at some urban exploration sites some people had tried to access it to have a look around but it seemed very secure. Obviously not now though.

Yeah i read the glass got saved thank god. I wonder why Nama pulled the whole Netwatch system as i was caught about 2 months back taking pictures of it.

Yeah i had got a couple of pictures on my urban exploration site, its such a shame as the church and the red brick work was just beautiful.

I am going to take a trip up a tthe weekend and see the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bublehead

Here you go, shot earlier. Just as well those windows were taken out a few days ago !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ygJrj1M7ws
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGs9zQy324I

bublehead wrote: »
    Here you go, shot earlier. Just as well those windows were taken out a few days ago !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ygJrj1M7ws
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGs9zQy324I

What a bloody shame.

It is/was owned by Gannon Homes which is now part of Nama. As far as I know the site wasn't up for sale as much of the property was listed and much of land zoned for residential development, and well nobody wants to build houses do they.

It did have round the click security, although it would appear not very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

After reading the article on Sunday I took a walk up to it earlier but heard a lot of noise from inside. Didn't think it was safe to go any closer so turned around and called the cops. Sorry to see it didn't help any.

Effects wrote: »
    After reading the article on Sunday I took a walk up to it earlier but heard a lot of noise from inside. Didn't think it was safe to go any closer so turned around and called the cops. Sorry to see it didn't help any.

hmm probably the copper monkeys stripping whatever they could find..

Oh and this was during the blaze...

http://db.tt/xERD8SQ

Like Scunbag noise?

Was it still secured at all?

It wasn't secured. Netwatch system had been pulled out a short while ago. Sounded like scum bags vandalising the place. Wasn't copper thieves. Too much noise. I didn't want to go any closer as I was on my own.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Such a shame. Although it's been well over a decade since I have good memeories of my time there. Bloody scum bags probably set it on fire for no reason at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I took some photos just now.

Much of the grounds are closed off for safety reasons, there are still tiles falling from the roof and some walls are declared unsafe.

(Mobile phone photo).

It wasn't secured. Netwatch system had been pulled out a short while ago. Sounded like scum bags vandalising the place. Wasn't copper thieves. Too much noise. I didn't want to go any closer as I was on my own.

7 weeks ago to be exact when i was caught by the remote CCTV trying to get pictures and the speaker came on with a thick carlow accent saying to leave or garda will be called.

I did notice one or two cameras smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

7 weeks ago to be exact when i was caught by the remote CCTV trying to get pictures and the speaker came on with a thick carlow accent saying to leave or garda will be called.

I did notice one or two cameras smashed.

I just seen the thread title, and thought "The lads over at urban exploration will be going mad."

Fire brigade was called at 9.30. I called the gardai about people vandalising the place at 8.45. Substantial damage to one of the upper wings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hmm..similar "scumbag started" fires were occuring all along the quays in the late '80's/early '90's with Listed gerogian buildings..developers couldnt get permission to knock them down so low and behold junkies set the buildings on fire and they're demolished and rebuilt as apartments.

Actually,i remeber the exact same thing happend to Clare Manor when i used to live round the corner..there's more than one type of scumbag it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Archeron

That really is a p*sser.

Anyone know if the house and church are destroyed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

There was another site further up the N32 from Belcamp which was bought years ago and the owners had a bit of difficulty getting it rezoned or planning permission and funnily that place went up in flames aswell. Wonder would the locals know anything bout the fire yesterday

Yep a few of us were a bit annoyed at the fire over at ue.ie , i really wanted to see the old church. I really hope that is in one piece!

I just left Belcamp College. The place is destroyed. Apart from the fire all the fireplaces have been ripped out. There was a Garda van on duty but as soon as they left 15 scumbags moved in to pick it apart. I got some photos so I'll post them later this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I passed by there today and was wondering what goes on. What a shame.

Yep a few of us were a bit annoyed at the fire over at ue.ie , i really wanted to see the old church. I really hope that is in one piece!

The church seemed to have gotten away undamaged, fire was all on the other side and in the main building. Two knackers asked me if the church roof was ok as they were heading up to the building. I called the gardai again but they are like vultures just waiting until you turn your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I was working in there area at the time of the fire, drove past it several times. At one stage, I was a forty foot Fire Brigade water tanker, arriving at the scene with lights and sirens going. Guessing this came from the airport as I had never seen it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Degsy wrote: »
    Hmm..similar "scumbag started" fires were occuring all along the quays in the late '80's/early '90's with Listed gerogian buildings..developers couldnt get permission to knock them down so low and behold junkies set the buildings on fire and they're demolished and rebuilt as apartments.

Actually,i remeber the exact same thing happend to Clare Manor when i used to live round the corner..there's more than one type of scumbag it seems.

where exactly was the clare manor? my ma had her wedding reception there in 1978

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Archeron

where exactly was the clare manor? my ma had her wedding reception there in 1978

It would be underneath where Clare Hall area stands now.

I dont know if the traveller camp is still there, but there used to be a road that ran past that and led to the ruins of the old hotel.
    When I was a kid, the ruins were still there, including furniture from the hotel, and even stock from the kitchens. It got closed off and razed when I was about 8, so that wouldve been about 1984 I guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement